DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:29 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
estefan wrote:
Winnie the Pooh is British and Disney is planning on releasing it in Europe in April, three months before its North American premiere.

Paramount is employing a similar strategy for The Adventures of Tintin by releasing it in Europe (where the Belgain character is more popular and well-known) two months before North America gets it. This is to help generate buzz and get Americans more excited about seeing a globe-trotting Belgain reporter.

I understand where Paramount and Disney are coming from here.


Oh. Milne doesnt register as a British name to me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2635
ajmrowland wrote:
estefan wrote:
Winnie the Pooh is British and Disney is planning on releasing it in Europe in April, three months before its North American premiere.

Paramount is employing a similar strategy for The Adventures of Tintin by releasing it in Europe (where the Belgain character is more popular and well-known) two months before North America gets it. This is to help generate buzz and get Americans more excited about seeing a globe-trotting Belgain reporter.

I understand where Paramount and Disney are coming from here.


Oh. Milne doesnt register as a British name to me.


Isn't "Winnie-the-Pooh" from Canada?


Super Aurora wrote:


milojthatch wrote:
You know, I was in an art museum today and saw a statue of Don Quixote and instantly thought, "that would make a great hand drawn Disney animated film!"

Disney did try attempt at it. The exec scrap it after finding it too dark and disturbing after looking at the concept arts.


I hope they go back to it. I mean my gosh, if they can make "Hunchback" into a Disney movie, I'd think Don Quixote would be easy!

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm
Posts: 4299
Location: SoCal
milojthatch wrote:
Isn't "Winnie-the-Pooh" from Canada?

The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England, and the author lived in England as well.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 3745
Location: S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
enigmawing wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
Isn't "Winnie-the-Pooh" from Canada?

The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England, and the author lived in England as well.


That's true, but as I understand it Winnie is named after Winnipeg, a city in Canada and the bear that was in the London zoo came from there I believe (been a while since I've seen that "Heritage" video on TV). That's probably where Milo got the idea.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm
Posts: 4299
Location: SoCal
Ah, gotcha. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:27 am
Posts: 733
Location: San Jose CA
estefan wrote:
Winnie the Pooh is British and Disney is planning on releasing it in Europe in April, three months before its North American premiere.

Paramount is employing a similar strategy for The Adventures of Tintin by releasing it in Europe (where the Belgain character is more popular and well-known) two months before North America gets it. This is to help generate buzz and get Americans more excited about seeing a globe-trotting Belgain reporter.

I understand where Paramount and Disney are coming from here.


What I don't understand is why Disney would release "Pooh" dead in the middle of summer, and across from the last Harry Potter movie. It's almost like they're setting it up to fail.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4830
milojthatch wrote:
I hope they go back to it. I mean my gosh, if they can make "Hunchback" into a Disney movie, I'd think Don Quixote would be easy!


Yeah Hunchback was also very very close to being pulled out as well due to a similar ordeal just like with Don Quixote. Very intense graphic concepts and story. JPanimation mention about Hunchback's original idea. I could be wrong but I believe Hunchback got save and green lighted because Eisner wanted it to be made. And I heard Hunchback is Eisner's favorite apparently. If it wasn't for Eisner, I believe Hunchback probably wouldn't make it on screen.







here's the Don Quixote concept i found:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 1187
Location: Maine
Disneyphile wrote:
What I don't understand is why Disney would release "Pooh" dead in the middle of summer, and across from the last Harry Potter movie. It's almost like they're setting it up to fail.

So family members that like taking their little ones to the movies won't feel left out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
^That actually used to be HP before they were PG-13. I remeber one family took their baby to a midnight screening of the third one.

and That Don Quixote art is brilliant. Dont know the story myself, though.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 1209
Every movie adaptation of Don Quixote seems to be haunted, and I don't think that's something Disney needs right now :D. And I think Terry Gilliam deserves to actually make his version first.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:19 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2635
Flanger-Hanger wrote:
enigmawing wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
Isn't "Winnie-the-Pooh" from Canada?

The Winnie-the-Pooh stories are set in Ashdown Forest, Sussex, England, and the author lived in England as well.


That's true, but as I understand it Winnie is named after Winnipeg, a city in Canada and the bear that was in the London zoo came from there I believe (been a while since I've seen that "Heritage" video on TV). That's probably where Milo got the idea.


It was totally off the top of my head, but I just seemed to remember Pooh having some connection to Canada.


Super Aurora wrote:
milojthatch wrote:
I hope they go back to it. I mean my gosh, if they can make "Hunchback" into a Disney movie, I'd think Don Quixote would be easy!


Yeah Hunchback was also very very close to being pulled out as well due to a similar ordeal just like with Don Quixote. Very intense graphic concepts and story. JPanimation mention about Hunchback's original idea. I could be wrong but I believe Hunchback got save and green lighted because Eisner wanted it to be made. And I heard Hunchback is Eisner's favorite apparently. If it wasn't for Eisner, I believe Hunchback probably wouldn't make it on screen.



Those pictures were awesome! I really wish they'd try it again. I know that the original story is a little dark, but when I think of Hanna-Barbera's "The Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda" or the various spoofs in animation over the years (Pinky and the Brain comes to mind first), I really think the right group of writers could make it work, as in, make it fun, worth watching, true enough to the original idea of the story, and family friendly. I really hope they go back to it, but not before they finish making the Snow Queen! :D

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:54 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2934
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
And I half expected Disney to start doing remakes of their classics in 3D CG. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:18 pm
Posts: 768
Don't give them any ideas!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 3792
Location: Maryland, USA
Disneyphile wrote:
estefan wrote:
Winnie the Pooh is British and Disney is planning on releasing it in Europe in April, three months before its North American premiere.

Paramount is employing a similar strategy for The Adventures of Tintin by releasing it in Europe (where the Belgain character is more popular and well-known) two months before North America gets it. This is to help generate buzz and get Americans more excited about seeing a globe-trotting Belgain reporter.

I understand where Paramount and Disney are coming from here.


What I don't understand is why Disney would release "Pooh" dead in the middle of summer, and across from the last Harry Potter movie. It's almost like they're setting it up to fail.


I know right?!?! LOOK:

Princess and the Frog (December 11)+Avatar (A week later)+ALVIN """ 2=PATF FLOPPED!

Tangled (November 21st)+HP Part 1 (A week later)=Tangled UNBELIEVABLY creamed Harry Potter @ box office

I can't look at Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. 2's successes -__- If Pooh fails, Disney better not blame it on the 2D like they did with "Frog" or the marketing...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Pennsylvania
I am very nervous about Winnie the Pooh tanking at the box office too. I understand there's always a big blockbuster every weekend in summertime, but couldn't they have opened it in the spring or against something other than the last HP movie?

_________________
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:38 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
Barbossa wrote:
And I half expected Disney to start doing remakes of their classics in 3D CG. :roll:

Circle 7, anyone?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9877
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
disneyprincess11 wrote:
Princess and the Frog (December 11)+Avatar (A week later)+ALVIN """ 2=PATF FLOPPED!
TP&TF didn't flop. It wasn't a huge financial gain, but to flop you have to actually lose money, don't you?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
^And factoring in the potential theater costs means it lost money.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:03 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9877
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
I always thought marketing costs/etc. were always included in the budget. If not, what are those number supposed to be?

TP&TF made around 2.5 times its budget. Even if the theater costs, marketing, etc. weren't included in the budget, I honestly don't think it flopped. Unless theaters cost a 167 million or so.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:28 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
Well unfortunately, america only counts in american money.

And I think the budget is really just for *making* the movie rather than advertising and distribution.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group