Current Slate of WDAS

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Current Slate of WDAS

Post by Fflewduur »

^Nice contribution.

And that's an example of management skills in execution.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sorry guys, no news. :) I decided to bump this thread as we haven't properly contemplated WDAS' upcoming projects for some time now.

The only upcoming films to be officially announced are Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 and Frozen 2, for 2018 and 2019 respectively. That gives us a grand total of ... 2 releases. Impressive, right? :wink:

Of course we all know WDAS has a production pipeline which is generally shrouded in secrecy. I know many of you are expecting announcements for Zootopia 2 but are not convinced Tangled, Big Hero 6 and Moana shall receive sequels (frankly, I hope the latter is true.)

I'm rather curious of the effect the abandoned Gigantic will have on the production pipeline. My guess is there is now a gaping hole in WDAS' release schedule following Frozen 2 which cannot be filled up easily or at all because the manpower involved in Gigantic has only recently been redirected to other projects. Essentially the Greno project has been a waste of time and resources since it will clearly never be finished - not unlike DreamWorks' B.O.O. which was reportedly sent into cryo after having been practically completed, animation and all. (Who knows if that one will ever resurface?)

I am very sceptical we will see a new release from WDAS in 2020. I think there will be at least a year's hiatus - which will be too soon following 2017's hiatus. :evil:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:I'm rather curious of the effect the abandoned Gigantic will have on the production pipeline. My guess is there is now a gaping hole in WDAS' release schedule following Frozen 2 which cannot be filled up easily or at all because the manpower involved in Gigantic has only recently been redirected to other projects. I am very sceptical we will see a new release from WDAS in 2020. I think there will be at least a year's hiatus - which will be too soon following 2017's hiatus.
I doubt the cancellation of Gigantic will significantly affect the pipeline. They hadn't gone into full production mode since they were working on WIR 2. And Disney announced that there will be a WDAS release in 2020. I do keep the first post of this thread updated but it's just 'untitled' this and 'untitled' that. You know Disney and their stupid secrecy obsession. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Jules wrote:I think there will be at least a year's hiatus - which will be too soon following 2017's hiatus. :evil:
I mean 2015 had no WDAS films either and the gap between 2015 and 2017 is much smaller than the gap between 2017 and 2020.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I still feel confident BH6 will get a trilogy just like WIR, Frozen, and Zootopia will.

Yes, I'm surprised they don't at least one original film in the pipeline. I'd like to think M&C might get another project considering Moana likely will not have a sequel for them to be a part of, but Moana felt like a farewell project to me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I hope he's not talking about sequels :(
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

So we're definitely getting a film in 2020 then...as of now anyway.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh my, that little piece of artwork is so gorgeous, and I love how it incorporates and mirrors all the iconic characters of the 2010's so far. Elsa and WIR--both characters hated for something beyond their control; Moana and Judy--both characters who fought to pursue their dreams and find their place; then Rapunzel and Baymax--both characters that heal, whether with magic or technology. :up: Beautiful.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"