Sherlock Gnomes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sherlock Gnomes

Post by Sotiris »

Elton John's Rocket Pictures has set up the 3D animated Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes, a sequel to the 2011 Disney hit that grossed $194 million worldwide. Andy Riley and Kevin Cecil, who wrote the original, are writing the sequel script. Elton John is currently composing new songs for the film. Rocket Pictures’ principals Steve Hamilton Shaw and David Furnish are producing, and John is exec producer. The plan is to begin production in the fall, and they are talking to directors. Gnomeo & Juliet director Kelly Asbury will act as a creative consultant on the sequel.

When gnomes start disappearing from the suburban gardens of England, Gnomeo, Juliet and friends enlist the help of Sherlock Gnomes, “the greatest ornamental detective,” to track the culprit. Unfortunately, Sherlock is neither as brilliant nor as insightful as his human counterpart, and as the crimes against gnomanity continue, the threat to their world becomes bigger than they ever imagined.

“Action detective stories need some gnomes to liven them up, I’m sure Arthur Conan Doyle would agree,” said Shaw. “It will be a fun, broad family film building on the popular foundation of the first. We believe the wide appeal of our world and characters combined with strong musical elements create a terrific franchise opportunity.”

Rocket Pictures, started by John and his partners to focus on family and music-themed projects, is developing an animated feature from the Michael Buckley novel series Nerds, about kids who run a spy network from their elementary school, with Buckley writing the screenplay; Asbury (who also directed Shrek 2) is writing and will helm an adaptation of Will Gallows and The Snake Bellied Troll; Rocket is also working on Rocketman, a biographical musical-fantasy film about the life of Elton John, written by Billy Elliot‘s Lee Hall.
Source: http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/rocket- ... lton-john/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Is this franchise actually considered Disney? The first got a very strange Blu-Ray release here in Canada, not under the Disney banner. Still haven't seen the first.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Barbossa wrote:Is this franchise actually considered Disney? The first got a very strange Blu-Ray release here in Canada, not under the Disney banner. Still haven't seen the first.
In the U.S. it was distributed by Touchstone.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Here's a thread on Blu-Ray.com explaining the difference between the Canada and US blu releases of the first movie:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=173000
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Re: Gnomeo & Juliet 2: Sherlock Gnomes

Post by Sky Syndrome »

“Action detective stories need some gnomes to liven them up, I’m sure Arthur Conan Doyle would agree,” said Shaw.
Pffft. :lol: They just want the film to ride the coattails of the successful 2009 Sherlock film and its sequel.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Gnomeo & Juliet 2: Sherlock Gnomes

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
“Action detective stories need some gnomes to liven them up, I’m sure Arthur Conan Doyle would agree,” said Shaw.
Pffft. :lol: They just want the film to ride the coattails of the successful 2009 Sherlock film and its sequel.
Pretty much. For what else would they do such strange mix?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I found the original film amusing with some nice moments, but not enough to buy it. I doubt I'll be interested in seeing a sequel.

Something I disliked about the original was all the Elton John material. Yes, I realize it was a pet project of his, and believe it or not, I do love a lot of his music. But it was so distracting to hear all those familiar, iconic tunes woven into the score when they had absolutely nothing to do with the story we were being given.

Adding on a Sherlock Holmes twist to a story line originally based on Romeo and Juliet with garden gnomes and Elton John music . . . oy. My head hurts.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Great, so now they're going Hoodwinked 2 on us :headshake:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

If Happy Feet 2 couldn't get past $80 million, why would a sequel to this piece of dreck?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Not so sure about this. I mean, the first one was great cause it was a story by Shakespeare that only lasted one story. Why complicate things with a sequel?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

nachonaco wrote:Image
Teeeeee, gonna continue the meme face bandwagon...

ImageImageImageImage

PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I would be less against it if they continued a Shakespeare theme. MacGnome, Gnomelet, A Midsummer's Gnome Dream, Gnome of Venice, there are dozens of Shakespeare-Gnome spin-offs and sequels they could do.

As far as the first one goes, I thought it was cute. It isn't much worse or much better than anything else that's been released lately. I think that without this sequel the whole franchise would have been completely forgotten.
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

This better be some horrible practical joke. If not my faith in humans has now shrunk.

Twilight and now this? :headshake:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

You know what would be better, let this sequel NOT be a sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet but rather be another Gnome film that takes place in the same world and have it be called Sherlock Gnomes. That works better than being a sequel.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:P I don't know about you but I think the higher ups are only doing this because one thing money and the fact that they can sell crud and get loads of money out of it.Probably saw how good the live action Alvin and the Chipmunks did so they maybe thought they could get more money if they made a sequel.I don't know about you but I kinda of think that the Shrek formula has to wear off one of these days.The kind of humour I wish Animated movies did was more in the style of Aladdin's humour because of the fact is a straight sorta of storytelling but has jokes that is not that forced or cringeworthy.
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

jazzflower92 wrote::P I don't know about you but I think the higher ups are only doing this because one thing money and the fact that they can sell crud and get loads of money out of it.Probably saw how good the live action Alvin and the Chipmunks did so they maybe thought they could get more money if they made a sequel.I don't know about you but I kinda of think that the Shrek formula has to wear off one of these days.The kind of humour I wish Animated movies did was more in the style of Aladdin's humour because of the fact is a straight sorta of storytelling but has jokes that is not that forced or cringeworthy.
If only the people in the industry had HALF your sense. :(