Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

Post by Disney Duster »

That does clear it all up, except do you consider this an attack? If you too, ok, that is your opinion, but to me it was the equivalent of someone just going, "You're mean! I don't want to listen to you!" lol You're not mean, though, of course.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, it's been 10 whole years since John Lasseter and Ed Catmull took over WDAS. The studio is obsequiously celebrating their "fearless leaders" making tribute videos and giving thanks. How would you assess this time gone by? Any thoughts or feelings?

Source: http://pbcbstudios.tumblr.com/post/1399 ... l-and-john

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyAnimator ... 0139569513
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

10 years, 9 animated movies (including Zootopia), 7 box office successes (grossing above double their production budget), 2 hand-drawn movies, 4 musicals, 5 roadtrip movies, 5 surprise villain-reveals, 7 opposites-attract relationships (romantic and platonic), ...am I missing anything else we could be keeping track of? :wink:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Lasseter always pulls out the trumpets when it comes time to congratulate himself.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Tangled wrote:...am I missing anything else we could be keeping track of? :wink:
The number of Hawaiian shirts Lasseter put on display at this year's D23 Convention in space that could have been used for... well, anything else.

The number of animators laid off after the production of Frozen but before its release, therefore were denied bonuses given to the current employees of the animation studio (some of whom didn't work on the film).

The number of directors who either left the animated films they were deeply involved in (Chris Sanders, Brenda Chapman, Bob Peterson), or took on a largely reduced supervisory role (Glen Keane), with resulting products that were good (to varying degrees), but noticeably tampered with: Bolt, Tangled, Brave, and The Good Dinosaur.

The number of animators who lost out on job opportunities at other studios and higher pay at Disney or Pixar because Ed Catmull strong-armed Pixar, Disney, and other animation studios into both a wage-freeze and a blacklist to prevent animators from working elsewhere.

The number of Studio Ghibli films that Disney decided not to distribute: Only Yesterday, From Up on Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises (handled by Touchstone, but still...), The Tale of Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Its been a brilliant ten years for the studio IMO, hopefully there are many more to come with Zootopia, Moana, Gigantic and whatever lies beyond.

The one, massive negative has been the wage-fixing scandal which was inexcusable on the part of everyone involved.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Well, it's been 10 whole years since John Lasseter and Ed Catmull took over WDAS. The studio is obsequiously celebrating their "fearless leaders" making tribute videos and giving thanks. How would you assess this time gone by? Any thoughts or feelings?
Isn't that a rhetorical statement?

Pardon my snarky remark, but to answer; At first I appreciated Lasseter takeover. Mainly because he initially brought a quality back to the films that was missed. He stopped the production of the cheapquels. However, during these years it's not as Disney's films quality has declined. It's just that they've been somewhat formulaic in their own way (perhaps taking the Pixar trademark, the character journey and blander villains). And none of Disney's films have been truly great. Even the films from the early 2000's had a certain spark that these current films lacks.
It's somewhat an irony that he didn't managed to make both Pixar and Disney equally even at the same time (but taking consideration to the review of Zootopia, the majority consider Pixar to be the superior studio, as evident of siting that Disney is officially good as Pixar now).

And recently, due to all the negative buzz Lasseter has received around here, I don't have any hesitation to doubt these remarks. He comes more and more across as an narcissistic and insincere jerk for everytime I watch him. Perhaps he's brought back a name to Disney, but apparently he's executed several other actions that is devoided for any decency. And therefore I'll say that my reactions to Lasseter's takeover are mixed.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Well, it's been 10 whole years since John Lasseter and Ed Catmull took over WDAS. The studio is obsequiously celebrating their "fearless leaders" making tribute videos and giving thanks. How would you assess this time gone by? Any thoughts or feelings?
Isn't that a rhetorical statement?

Pardon my snarky remark, but to answer; At first I appreciated Lasseter takeover. Mainly because he initially brought a quality back to the films that was missed. He stopped the production of the cheapquels. However, during these years it's not as Disney's films quality has declined. It's just that they've been somewhat formulaic in their own way (perhaps taking the Pixar trademark, the character journey and blander villains). And none of Disney's films have been truly great. Even the films from the early 2000's had a certain spark that these current films lacks.
It's somewhat an irony that he didn't managed to make both Pixar and Disney equally even at the same time (but taking consideration to the review of Zootopia, the majority consider Pixar to be the superior studio, as evident of siting that Disney is officially good as Pixar now).

And recently, due to all the negative buzz Lasseter has received around here, I don't have any hesitation to doubt these remarks. He comes more and more across as an narcissistic and insincere jerk for everytime I watch him. Perhaps he's brought back a name to Disney, but apparently he's executed several other actions that is devoided for any decency. And therefore I'll say that my reactions to Lasseter's takeover are mixed.
I keep hearing formulaic, but people kept on saying so of the 90's films when they happened and so it's really doesn't hold much water. And I don't think there is any spark missing from these current movies at all, and they really have a different type of spirit than in the 90's. Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat. Also about the replacing the directors part, I say so what because people do that all the time. But yet when Lasseter does it, people treat as evil.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

jazzflower92 wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote: Isn't that a rhetorical statement?

I keep hearing formulaic, but people kept on saying so of the 90's films when they happened and so it's really doesn't hold much water. And I don't think there is any spark missing from these current movies at all, and they really have a different type of spirit than in the 90's. Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat. Also about the replacing the directors part, I say so what because people do that all the time. But yet when Lasseter does it, people treat as evil.
I think it's mainly because of how most people tend to treat Lasseter, and therefore Pixar, as an animation god and the fact that they keep getting awards for animated films. I don't hate Pixar. I think they make decent films. However, I do feel that they are somewhat formulaic and not really as new and inventive as people keep saying they are. For one thing, has anybody noticed that a good chunk of the films revolves around two characters different from one another and at first they can't really stand one another, but when one character does something to the other character, that brings on a complicated situation and they both work together to get out of it? Even Brave and The Good Dinosaur followed this type of plot.
Disney's Divinity

jazzflower92 wrote:I keep hearing formulaic, but people kept on saying so of the 90's films when they happened and so it's really doesn't hold much water.
These films aren't formulaic because... the 90's films are formulaic? Whaaa...? :?
Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat.
I feel sorry if you ever see Eisner's name brought up. The comments you'll hear will be really old hat. :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

jazzflower92 wrote:I keep hearing formulaic, but people kept on saying so of the 90's films when they happened and so it's really doesn't hold much water. And I don't think there is any spark missing from these current movies at all, and they really have a different type of spirit than in the 90's.

I never meant that they didn't have any spark at all. Just not as much as those from the 90's.
Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat. Also about the replacing the directors part, I say so what because people do that all the time. But yet when Lasseter does it, people treat as evil.
That's because Lasseter isn't particularly sincere at all. He comes across as a douche and it's really easy to see that.
I think it's mainly because of how most people tend to treat Lasseter, and therefore Pixar, as an animation god and the fact that they keep getting awards for animated films.
Fair enough.
However, I do feel that they are somewhat formulaic and not really as new and inventive as people keep saying they are.
Agreed.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat.
I feel sorry if you ever see Eisner's name brought up. The comments you'll hear will be really old hat. :lol:
Man alive, the forum thrived on bashing Eisner back in the day. Actually dug up a couple old Einster threads just for a trip down memory lane...

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2022

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5180

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11413

In retrospect, I remember the general consensus being that Eisner's first ten years were great, but the last ten progressively got worse. In this thread, we're focusing on Lasseter and the animation department (as opposed to the company as a whole), but I wonder if the same pattern will occur.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:I keep hearing formulaic, but people kept on saying so of the 90's films when they happened and so it's really doesn't hold much water. And I don't think there is any spark missing from these current movies at all, and they really have a different type of spirit than in the 90's.

I never meant that they didn't have any spark at all. Just not as much as those from the 90's.
Whenever Lasseter comes up, it's really become a chore to hear the same old negativity about him that has become old hat. Also about the replacing the directors part, I say so what because people do that all the time. But yet when Lasseter does it, people treat as evil.
That's because Lasseter isn't particularly sincere at all. He comes across as a douche and it's really easy to see that.
I think it's mainly because of how most people tend to treat Lasseter, and therefore Pixar, as an animation god and the fact that they keep getting awards for animated films.
Fair enough.
However, I do feel that they are somewhat formulaic and not really as new and inventive as people keep saying they are.
Agreed.
If I want to be honest I don't really see him as a douche as a lot of people are making him out to be.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

jazzflower92 wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:
You're not the only one.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I used to like him and I dont blame the fall of 2d squarely on his shoulders, though I think he could have been a bit more honest about the situation(and no I dont think it would have jeopardized his job/standing at Disney to say so, a smaller director or animator yes, but they're never gonna fire Pixar guru Jon friggin' Lassater, it would make too much negative press.)

The wage fixing scandal though, that's inexcusable.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

jazzflower92 wrote:If I want to be honest I don't really see him as a douche as a lot of people are making him out to be.
Okay, we can agree to disagree, then. I find him to be more douchy for everytime I see him.
Disney's Divinity

unprincess wrote:I used to like him and I dont blame the fall of 2d squarely on his shoulders,
Believe it or not, hand-drawn animation dying isn't even a reason why I dislike him. I disliked him back when he was just at Pixar, but, yes, my dislike has grown since he took over Disney.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I disliked him back when he was just at Pixar, but, yes, my dislike has grown since he took over Disney.
Why is that?
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

Bad because Disney has become Pixar 2.0 all CGI
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Escapay wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I feel sorry if you ever see Eisner's name brought up. The comments you'll hear will be really old hat. :lol:
Man alive, the forum thrived on bashing Eisner back in the day. Actually dug up a couple old Einster threads just for a trip down memory lane...

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2022

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5180

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11413

In retrospect, I remember the general consensus being that Eisner's first ten years were great, but the last ten progressively got worse. In this thread, we're focusing on Lasseter and the animation department (as opposed to the company as a whole), but I wonder if the same pattern will occur.

Albert
Could you really blame anyone for hating Eisner so much back when Disney was under the threat of getting bought out by Comcast? Or when almost every partnership was dissolving? That was the very thing he was hired to PREVENT back in 1984!

All things considered, Disney is in much better shape today than it was a decade ago. Disney has re-established itself in the feature animation game, and not by relying on Pixar or Ghibli imports.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"