Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney Duster wrote:I'm an artist too, so if anyone's insulted, you can't be when there's no insult to take.
Define artist.

Because that word is being thrown around so randomly these days.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Another thread bites the [Disney] dust... :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Another thread bites the [Disney] dust... :P
I know, I'm sorry for participating in this non-debate.

I was a little fed up with the lack of Wreck-it-Ralph discussion going on here.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

PatrickvD wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I'm an artist too, so if anyone's insulted, you can't be when there's no insult to take.
Define artist.

Technically an artist is one who creates art. Art is anything made with the intention of being appreciated.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What Kyle said.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Well in some ways they certainly are bad.
As is every human being. Everyone has flaws but these people haven't killed anyone or committed any kind of atrocity, all they're guilty of by your logic is working on films and TV shows with adult content so that makes them "bad". It's just ridiculously judgemental to make a claim like that. So are the people who watch and enjoy those things bad as well?
The bad they did is the kind of material they have made, some of it certainly is bad. And once again, it's not that they just did adult content, I'm explained it a hundred times, it's the kind of adult content they made. And the people who watch the shows are not bad if they only like the good parts and dislike the bad parts. But the creators of the bad parts should not be at Disney.

Okay, so you're all annoyed. Well sorry. I see something wrong, and I'm trying to explain it, and none of you want to believe such a bad thing could be happening to Disney so you will just shut it out. But I won't stand for something I see as wrong.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Disney Duster wrote:What Kyle said.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote: As is every human being. Everyone has flaws but these people haven't killed anyone or committed any kind of atrocity, all they're guilty of by your logic is working on films and TV shows with adult content so that makes them "bad". It's just ridiculously judgemental to make a claim like that. So are the people who watch and enjoy those things bad as well?
The bad they did is the kind of material they have made, some of it certainly is bad. And once again, it's not that they just did adult content, I'm explained it a hundred times, it's the kind of adult content they made. And the people who watch the shows are not bad if they only like the good parts and dislike the bad parts. But the creators of the bad parts should not be at Disney.

Okay, so you're all annoyed. Well sorry. I see something wrong, and I'm trying to explain it, and none of you want to believe such a bad thing could be happening to Disney so you will just shut it out. But I won't stand for something I see as wrong.
How about we wait for the movie to come out, watch it, and then complain about it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Because it's the principle of the thing as I already said as well.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Kyle wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: Define artist.

Technically an artist is one who creates art. Art is anything made with the intention of being appreciated.
That's not the definition of art where I'm from. But let's not get into that. :lol:

Wreck-it-Ralph people!! It looks great so far.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Disney Duster wrote:Okay, so you're all annoyed. Well sorry. I see something wrong, and I'm trying to explain it, and none of you want to believe such a bad thing could be happening to Disney so you will just shut it out. But I won't stand for something I see as wrong.
:lol: If you really want to take a stand, the best thing you could do would be to ignore this film completely and don't spend your money on a ticket when it's released, if it really is as blasphemous to you as you're saying. Because the rest of us aren't in denial about this film as you seem to be suggesting by saying we don't believe a "bad thing" is happening to Disney, we're actually willing to give it a chance and are looking forward to it and nothing you say will change that.
PatrickvD wrote:Wreck-it-Ralph people!! It looks great so far.
Amen to this.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Seeing as the only trailers I got prior to The Avengers were Frankenweenie and Brave, I think Disney missed a huge opportunity to premiere the Wreck-It Ralph teaser trailer in front to The Avengers. Wreck-It Ralph is sure to appeal to the nerd demographic (of which I am certainly apart of), so why not put the teaser ahead of one of the biggest nerd events of the last ten years?

Disney's marketing department didn't think logically there.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

estefan wrote:Disney's marketing department didn't think logically there.
name me a time it has?
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

But the creators of the bad parts should not be at Disney.
I've drawn stuff that caters to an adult audience. Guess that means I can never ever ever draw anything Disney or children's-related ever in my life.

There goes my dreams!!

In all seriousness, a real artist, if able to, can adapt his or her talents for any genre or age group regardless of their resume. In fact, the most talented of people are those that can adapt their skills (storytelling, drawing, acting, whatever etc.) for all age groups. And plenty of artists/actors/etc. that have done adult content have worked on children and family-friendly media. Like George Carlin on Thomas the Tank Engine.

I enjoy drawing sexy pin-ups, and comics with foul language and dark humor, so does that mean I'm not allowed to work on a children's book or anything Disney-related if I was given the opportunity? I find that as an insult.

Also adult-related=/=bad. Working on something that is targeted for an adult audience does not make someone a bad person. Murder, rape, stealing, or any other crime that's committed without remorse makes someone a bad person.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Oh, right, that's why I stopped reading this thread. And Duster, if what I'm getting from you is what you really think then speaking as a self-described artist and Disney fan, go to bed. Seriously.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

LySs wrote:I've drawn stuff that caters to an adult audience. Guess that means I can never ever ever draw anything Disney or children's-related ever in my life.

There goes my dreams!!
Ditto. :lol:

I'm also friends with a couple of artists that have worked for Disney but are known for their adult material. One of them created and released very explicit material while working as a Disney animator, and I really doubt it makes a lick of difference to anyone. I mean, it certainly doesn't show in any of the films he worked on.

I also doubt anything I choose to draw will automatically be "bad" just because of the comic work I do, nor will it ever prevent me from creating wholesome material whenever I choose. Heck, I've worked with children for years, and a lot of my time spent with them involved drawing. The thing is that I keep my work appropriate for whatever setting I'm in.

Oh, and by the way, Fred Moore drew pin-ups and nudes that weren't exactly wholesome, family-friendly material and he was one of the most famous animators of the studio during Walt's time . . .
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

enigmawing wrote:Oh, and by the way, Fred Moore drew pin-ups and nudes that weren't exactly wholesome, family-friendly material and he was one of the most famous animators of the studio during Walt's time . . .
This. There has been a lot of art created by and past amongst Disney animators ever since the beginning of the studio. My professor at school showed us a Marc Davis Tinkerbell nude from the 50s (Marc Davis, by the way, animated Cinderella, Duster), and much less "wholesome" - a drawing of Snow White and the dwarfs umm... ahem... we'll just say they certainly aren't making gooseberry pie. I can't remember who the artist on that one was, but the point is that the artists that worked on the films that go down as the best family films in history were also able to have a separate "adult" side to them. I think if there was someone who could ONLY find comfort or humor in child friendly things, theres an issue. They ARE adults. It's one thing to never lose sight of your childhood, but it's another thing to actually never grow up.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Camera Capture for "Wreck-it Ralph": Introducing capture technology into a feature animation pipeline
http://www.fmx.de/program/event-details ... Event.html

FMX: Wreck-It Ralph and Disney’s New Virtual Camera
http://www.billdesowitz.com/?p=5660
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

http://www.therotoscopers.com/episodes/ ... eview.html

Here are some people's opinions on the film after watching a test-screening.
TheRotoscopers

Post by TheRotoscopers »

I got to see Wreck-It Ralph last week and put up the early review of the film. We kept it somewhat positive since all of our critical points we made in the viewer survey that we submitted to Disney at the end. Lots of things could change between now and then, so we didn't want to be critical of things that might not make the finished product, you know? The podcast episode focuses on our general thoughts and feelings.

You can listen to it here:
http://www.therotoscopers.com/episodes/ ... ening.html
TheRotoscopers

Post by TheRotoscopers »

qindarka wrote:http://www.therotoscopers.com/episodes/ ... eview.html

Hey sorry, I didn't know so many people would be linking back to the website. I randomly changed the link but changed it back to the original link, which is this one:

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

TheRotoscopers wrote:
qindarka wrote:http://www.therotoscopers.com/episodes/ ... eview.html

Hey sorry, I didn't know so many people would be linking back to the website. I randomly changed the link but changed it back to the original link, which is this one:

Awesome, thanks! Listening to it now. :)