Zootopia

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Re: Zootopia

Post by RyGuy »

Disney Duster wrote:What was the "Let It Go" joke?
Bogo tells Judy that life isn't some insipid cartoon where you burst into song and your dreams come true, and then tells her "So. Let. It. Go."
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh lol thanks for telling me.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so what's wrong with me? I saw it this weekend on dvd and I found it...alright. It was entertaining and thats about it for me. I liked it about as much as Big Hero 6 (which has been my least fave of the Disney animated films since PATF, a little less than Wreck it Ralph and much less than the 3 recent fairytale movies, the 2 DW Dragon films & ROTG, Song of the Sea and Princess Kaguya.

Im baffled at how popular and successful its been. I think it has to be the Frozen spillover effect...
I guess it didnt wow me as much as others b/c
1- I have a preference for mythology/folklore in my stories
2- i have never been that into anthro animal characters.

I did like the savagery aspect of it, never seen that concept in an anthro animal story before, and the animation and design work are great. Some nice use of color in scenes to set mood. Nice that it tried to be a bit more serious than usual for this type of film too. I liked the sloth scenes but not b/c I found it particularly funny, but I just loved seeing the sloths expressions change slowly, from neutral to hilarity, from an animation standpoint. They really are getting better at having CGI models mimic the movement of hand drawn animation. but I still miss the more organic aesthetic of hand drawn.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I saw it last weekend with my folks on Blu-ray. It was super! I loved that Flash character, I thought I'd die laughing, I thought the Let It Go joke was hilarious, the animation in general was gorgeous, and the animals were a breath of fresh air. Definitely, one of Disney's best!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I should be seeing it in a couple of days. I'm going to try to clear my head before putting it on because I keep wanting to like it because I hate disliking everything new coming out of Disney, but another part of me hopes it's overrated because its defenders have been so obnoxious (not really this forum so much, but elsewhere). The latter is why I'm glad Frozen is above it regardless of how I feel about the movie after I see it. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

I liked it, didn’t love it. I’d put it above Tangled and BH6--definitely--around the same space as WIR, maybe a smidge above.

I liked most of the characters and their designs, but didn't fall in love with any of them. I wasn’t as enamored with Nick as I thought I’d be from the trailers. Judy was okay, but I wouldn't say she's joined my favorite Disney protagonists. I liked Judy's parents, too; they felt realistic. The celebrity voices stood out for me more than usual (Goodwin was probably the best), but I still liked most of voice acting. I didn't really find most of the funny moments that funny. Skunk butt, the mouse mob, the fat leopard, the naturalists... None of it made me laugh (most of it I thought was dumb, tbh). I think the only times I laughed were when Judy was training with the polar bear at the beginning, Bogo was using the Gazelle app, and the sloth at the end. Oh, and this line... "Doug is the opposite of friendly. / *creepy music begins* / He's unfriendly..."

I think the point where the film fell apart for me was the contrived emotional scene where Judy talks about biology. I felt like we were supposed to take this as sort of an internalized racism moment, but nothing in the film up to that moment makes you think prey could go crazy like that. All the examples they had were predators, and to me it seemed to be a case of something causing the mental faculties to breakdown (like Alzheimer’s or other mental diseases) and force the animals into their basic instincts. And a prey wouldn’t attack or try to eat another animal—the most they’d do is attack if scared/to defend themselves—so…? I don’t really get what we were supposed to get wrong about what Judy said based on what was shown prior. I don’t know, a lot of the message felt muddled/forced. EDIT: I forgot my least favorite part—which is when Judy reaches for her Fox Spray after Nick asks her (pretty calmly) if she's scared of him. Talk about a reach for drama; that was so fake and unbelievable. There is nothing about their conversation that would make her scared after she’s spent the movie with him. (And I know somebody else will probably say this is because she’s xenophobic deep down, which I already got from the scene where she first meets Nick in the ice cream shop, but I don’t buy it as an explanation here. She's only acting afraid because the script tells her to.) Also, on re-watch, what she said about biology is only what she and Nick both overheard the doctor say earlier.

I’ve never been fond of the way Pixar worldbuilding becomes the majority of the story, but I had a hard time suspending disbelief here. Judy falling into the toilet, the ticket she leaves on a mouse car causing it to be blown away by the breeze, and her paying for Nick’s popsicle all made me wonder how this world could possibly work at all considering the colossal size/body differences… How do mice use a public restroom, share the road with other animals, or even pay for things considering they can’t have normal-sized money? And how could they control weather to the point that Judy can drive between one place that looks to be in summer to somewhere else completely covered in snow as part of her job…?

Bellwether was a nice concept, but, like nearly every Pixar villain, she fails to be as great as she could be in the delivery. I feel like her, and Waternoose, and Syndrome all give variations of the same speech at one point or another, only put “predator” in place of “child”/“superhero” here. I liked that Lionheart was not innocent at least (ie, all politicians are slime).

Minor annoyance: I liked the beginning with Judy being slashed by the fox, but I wish they'd had a little blood at the marks on her cheeks. Not vague pink...whatever? I thought Nick's backstory later was a little overkill. *shrug*

Hopefully the sequel will be about Judy and Nick's interracialspecies romance.

Btw, I couldn’t help noticing during the credits:

Story by
Man Man
Man Man
Man Man
and
Token Bunny

EDIT: Although I went and looked it up, there was another woman (Josie Trinidad).
EDIT: Edited this again after re-watching.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And how could they control weather to the point that Judy can drive between one place that looks to be in summer to somewhere else completely covered in snow as part of her job…?
I think I read on TV Tropes (an excellent source, I know :P) that it's explained/ shown that Tundratown and Sahara Square are able to exist because Tundratown uses cooling devices to freeze/ make/ maintain snow. And the generators(?) to these ice machines have to work so much they emit a lot of heat, so those get placed in the sand of the Sahara Square.

You'll notice in the intro to the movie that Tundratown is directly adjacent to Sahara Square, and there are machines that are red hot in the Sahara side, but blow/ make snow on the Tundra side:

Presumably the Rainforest District has a humongous humidifier somewhere to keep everything wet and dewy? They definitely use sprinklers in the trees, as seen here:

Screencaps Source: http://disneyscreencaps.com/zootopia-2016/7

Although, this now raises the question: are the animals somehow able to circumvent the natural day-to-day weather? You can build an igloo but if it's gonna hurricane outside it's not gonna last...

But the rest of the city, as far as I recall, doesn't have special weather conditions. Though I can only imagine how bad a little rain storm could be for a city like Little Rodentia...
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah pretty early on I realized this was gonna be like Cars, were you have to go with the premise from the get go & leave your nitpick-o-meter at the door. Which does make the film very Pixaresque in its storytelling...
Disney's Divinity

unprincess wrote:yeah pretty early on I realized this was gonna be like Cars, were you have to go with the premise from the get go & leave your nitpick-o-meter at the door.
I don't really give it an excuse for that, considering I didn't feel that way about Inside Out, Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., or Wreck-It Ralph, for example.
Which does make the film very Pixaresque in its storytelling...
Yeah, that much is obvious. This is easily the least Disney film so far, probably tied with WIR and Chicken Little. Which is a shame. Not only is there very little differentiation in animation mediums now, there's very little differentiation in storytelling anymore either. I guess if you love Pixar movies, it's a fantastic time for you, but it's pretty awful if you don't.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Saw it tonight as it was the movie for Movie Under the Stars and loved it. I found parts of it hilarious.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

unprincess wrote:yeah pretty early on I realized this was gonna be like Cars, were you have to go with the premise from the get go & leave your nitpick-o-meter at the door.
Sorta-kinda.

It's more plausible to believe in an alternate non-human universe run by animals than for cars. There actually is a rule that was discussed in Disney's old anthology show about the "plausible impossible".
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Pixaresque? Hmm, lemme guess why. Is it because *The Movie That Must Not Be Named*, Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia aren't cartoon musicals where you sing a little song and your insipid little dreams magically come true?

Well, let it go. :roll:
Disney's Divinity

DisneyJedi wrote:Pixaresque? Hmm, lemme guess why. Is it because *The Movie That Must Not Be Named*, Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia aren't cartoon musicals where you sing a little song and your insipid little dreams magically come true?
If that were the case, I'd have included Bolt and Meet the Robinsons in that sentence.

Btw, I would accuse CL of being Dreamworksesque unlike the other two. Too bad aping the Pixar phase didn't go the same way as their attempts to be Dreamworks.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Wow, Disney really wants this one to be noticed. Best Picture seems like a stretch, it has a better chance for getting a nomination and/or winning Best Animated Feature.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

“Try Everything” has been nominated for a Grammy in the Best Song Written For Visual Media category. “Just Like Fire” from Alice Through the Looking Glass and “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” from DreamWorks' Trolls are also two of the nominees in that category. (Source: http://animatedviews.com/2016/trolls-zo ... minations/)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR
“Arrival”
“Fences”
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“Hell or High Water”
“La La Land”
“Manchester by The Sea”
“Moonlight”
“Silence”
“Sully”
“Zootopia”
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Musical Master wrote:Wow, Disney really wants this one to be noticed. Best Picture seems like a stretch, it has a better chance for getting a nomination and/or winning Best Animated Feature.
I think it's fine that they're bidding for consideration for Best Picture. A nomination for Best Animated Feature is basically a foregone conclusion at this point, so it makes sense that they're trying for something more ambitious. That said, considering that Inside Out, which was arguably even better received last year, didn't manage to snag a spot on the list, I agree that it's quite a long shot.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Congrats on Zootopia winning the Critics Choice Award for Best Animated Feature! Next up Golden Globe/Annie/BAFTA & the big one "Oscar" :up:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K57xDG6jjxA[/youtube]

On a side note "LA LA Land "City of Stars" beat Moana's "How Far I'll Go" for Best Song. Absolutely no surprise there.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Whoop whoop !!!!

AND the Golden Globe nomination this morning as well .... on a roll ! Will be keeping all crossed : )

:banana: