The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad Discussion

Post by AwallaceUNC »

This is my favorite of the package films. I think I only saw Mr. Toad once- I would always rent it every Halloween and only watch the Sleepy Hollow segment. It is so well-done, perhaps the best telling of the Headless Horeseman tale that I've seen (though I haven't yet seen the Burton/Depp adaptation, and I really need to). It is one of the defining aspects of the Halloween holiday for me.

Parts of Beauty and the Beast really remind me of the Ichabod segment, namely the bar scenes.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

yeah i have this movie when it came out to video in 1999. my favorite segment was The Wind in the Willows. i thought this was the best out of the package films
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Terrific film, or rather two terrific films in one. Grossly underseen; I really think other than the structure (two half-hour featurettes), this can be favorably compared with the strong early '40s films that Disney was making before the WWII detour. I don't know which part I like better; I really enjoy the chilling conclusion. But the first film is really without flaws, too, as far as I can tell.

And, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a FAR better and more accurate retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow than the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp. :)
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Excellent set !! I just saw it again this weekend with my daughter and we both enjoyed vey much.
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I think the character design for Katrina in the Sleepy Hollow segment is adorable. She reminds me of some of the preliminary Cinderella concepts.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Ichabod Mr.Toad

Post by Disney Guru »

I love that Compilation to. It is really fun to watch. Ichabod/Mr.Toad great thinking Disney Company :lol: I think that they should do more of this sort of stuff with a lot of these things. I have the 1983 White Puffy Clamshell VHS that had the Wind In The Willows Cartoon + 3 other cartoons. It was a really neat compilation also.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

Both segments are great. In fact the Mr. Toad section is some of the best work ever done by the studios I think
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

This was my 3rd DVD for my collection! It is also my favorite of the package films! I loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but never knew what everything in it meant since I hadn't seen the movie. Now that I have it and love it, I'm sad that I can't go on the ride anymore all because of Pooh...BUT once the guy who does this site (http://virtual-toad.com/) is done, the world wide web will get to experience the ride virtually! (lol, if Disney gives him rights, they should include it on a DVD reissue!) He has a lot of modelling done and they all look great! I can't wait to see the finished product!

I also love the Ichabod segment! We always watched it at school on Halloween. My english teacher in 6th grade even used it when we were learning about Tall tales and folktales. My english teacher sophomore year even used it when we were learning about Washington Irving! Unforunately, being in a high school full of the average american teenager, they complained about it and wanted the scary Johhny Depp version. But at least my teacher knows that at least one person enjoyed it. Overall, The Adventures of Ichabod Crane and Mr. Toad was a very enjoyable double feature that needs to be better appreciated.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

Luke wrote:And, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a FAR better and more accurate retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow than the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp. :)
More accurate, Luke?

:)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

STASHONE wrote:
Luke wrote:And, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a FAR better and more accurate retelling of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow than the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp. :)
More accurate, Luke?

:)
Eh, I meant more faithful, you know....to the book. But I've been to Sleepy Hollow many a time and I can tell you that no one around there looks like Christopher Walken!
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Luke, whose in the avatar? :)
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

heheh okay.

Is the town a known tourist attraction or did you just venture out of curiosity and is it as I'd imagine, a small rural setting, or has it since been developped? do they have any monuments or anything significant to acknowledge the popularity of the story?

i've passed through a Sleepy Hollow in Vt before.. it was quite boring, like the rest of vermont. :}
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad is one of my least Disney film.
I really like The Adventures of Ichabod is better then Mr. Toad.
I really didn't like Mr. Toad it was too silly. :roll:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

I used to have a Disney "Mini-Classics" VHS of Sleepy Hollow that I watched a bit when I was younger, so I'm obviously more familiar with that feature than Mr. Toad. And man, was that a creepy film! It still gives me the willies when I watch it today. The entire night-time "hollow" sequence was genuinely ominous. The part that got to me the most, though, was when Ichabod discovers that the Horseman's "hoofbeats" are actually cat-tails thumping on a log. He starts laughing maniacally in relief, but his expressions and actions are so crazy, it's spooky. O_o
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Well I'm relooking at the BATB character concept art, and the narrator said that Gaston's design was actually heavily influenced by Brawn Bones (is that his name?) in Disney's Sleepy Hollow. I guess me being reminded of Sleepy Hollow in BATB isn't so far off, after all. How exciting. :)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I watched this film last night. its nothing at all from what I remember when I was younger. I really enjoyed the Mr.Toad segment and it help me understand the character's place in Mickey's Christmas Carol. Mr. Mole and the Rat. And the song Lol that he sings even though the segement is total nonsensce. And just like most here have said Ichabod reminded me a lot of Beautyand the Beast the bar secene Brawn Bones of Gaston. However the only memory I did have of this short was that it scared me but I am over that now Lol. Its a good movie but not one of my favorites.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

DreamerQ18 wrote:I really enjoyed the Mr.Toad segment and it help me understand the character's place in Mickey's Christmas Carol. Mr. Mole and the Rat. And the song Lol that he sings even though the segement is total nonsensce.
I love that song! It's full of English townships and towns or whatever. It's great to listen to it in French or Spanish :) .

Tally ho! Tally ho! Tally ho!
Are we on our way to Nottingham?
To Brittingham, to Buckingham?
Or any hammy hamlet by the sea?
No!

And now we're on our way to Devonshire
To Lancashire to Worcentershire
The jolly old road that goes to Plymouth
Ho!

We're merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Merrily on our way
To nowhere in particular
Merrily on our way
Though the roads are perpendicular

We're always in a hurry
We have no time to stall
We've got to be there
We've got to be there
But where we can't recall
Whoops!

Merrily on our way
And we're may be going to Devonshire
To Lancashire, to Worcentershire
We're not so sure
We got to be there
We're merrily on our way
To nowhere at all!

*lyrics from the Disney Freak's Website (http://www.angelfire.com/movies/disneybroadway/)
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Kram Nebuer wrote:
DreamerQ18 wrote:I really enjoyed the Mr.Toad segment and it help me understand the character's place in Mickey's Christmas Carol. Mr. Mole and the Rat. And the song Lol that he sings even though the segement is total nonsensce.
I love that song! It's full of English townships and towns or whatever. It's great to listen to it in French or Spanish :) .

Tally ho! Tally ho! Tally ho!
Are we on our way to Nottingham?
To Brittingham, to Buckingham?
Or any hammy hamlet by the sea?
No!

And now we're on our way to Devonshire
To Lancashire to Worcentershire
The jolly old road that goes to Plymouth
Ho!

Merrily on our way
To nowhere in particular
Merrily on our way
Though the roads are perpendicular

We're always in a hurry
We have no time to stall
We've got to be there
We've got to be there
But where we can't recall
Whoops!

Merrily on our way
And we're may be going to Devonshire
To Lancashire, to Worcentershire
We're not so sure
We got to be there
We're merrily on our way
To nowhere at all!

*lyrics from the Disney Freak's Website (http://www.angelfire.com/movies/disneybroadway/)
:lol: yep thats the one!
DisneyFanatic
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyFanatic »

I do enjoy both Sleepy hollow and mr. toad. I can't really pick a favorite though, i like the song in mr toad and i like the story in ichabod. My boyfriend really likes mr. toad's wild ride (as do I) and whenever we get a chance to go to Disneyland we always go on that ride.

I never noticed how Gaston and what's his name(?) in sleepy hollow are similar. It makes sense that Gaston would be based on him.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I saw both segments of Ichabod and Mr Toad as a kid, but never as one feature and up until seeing the film in one chunk in late 2004, I'd not seen The Wind in the Willows since I was a four year old and couldn't remember a thing, in all honesty. I picked up the DVD as a blind buy a few days before Christmas in 2004, as I'd seen it the cheapest I'd seen it up until that point (it cost £12.99 in English money including tax, but I've seen it for around £6.99 lately). I put in the disc as soon as I got in, and really enjoyed the movie.

My favourite part was The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which has something in part to do with nostalgia, as I watched it a lot on video in the days of my youth. Yet I also loved it for the gorgeous animation and art direction (Mary Blair's styling makes the piece seem like a Van Gogh painting come to life), and the telling of the story, which worked well regardless of the quick jump from whimsical to intense. The Wind in the Willows was also fun, even if completely different from the original novel at times.

If the film has a flaw, it's to do with Mr Toad's story; I can't help but wonder if this was better suited to feature length. At least the film far far far outweighs the DVD. Whilst I don't expect Platinum Edition bonus features, there surely are artwork and TV materials (I read that The Wind in the Willows was recycled into a Disneyland episode in the 50s) out there. Even if they used a video trailer (I know one exists), I would be cool. And the video quality is fairly lame, regardless of the age and comparisons to the Lowry Digital restorations of titles like Cinderella and Mary Poppins.

Needless to say, I recommend the DVD, if only for the film, which may be in my Top 10 Disney films now, actually! :D