The Best Decade for Disney Animation?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Best Decade for Disney Animation?

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, that one too! That's like the next best to me after The Little Mermaid.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

The 1990s - Possibly a nostalgia-induced view, but truly the last time Disney shone. Each film was a perfect blend of characters, story, music, humor and heart, all magical and captivating. Even the least liked films still have a huge following to this day and that says a lot. Yes, they all may have followed a similar pattern and some creative decisions were definitely business-driven, but it never felt like the art was much compromised in the process, even in cases of Hunchback and Pocahontas.

The 1950s - I either love or like each of the five films here. While Walt's first five features were terrific accomplishments for the art of animation and laid groundwork for what was to come, I think the 1950s were the decade that further defined what we expect a classic Disney film to feel and look like.

The 1970s - All very enjoyable, with The Rescuers probably being the decade's best output.

The 2000s - Is this the most-hated period in Disney history? In any case, I really appreciated the versatility of Disney animation during those years and the wealth of stories, settings, mediums (well, only two but still), and genres presented to the audiences. Sure, not all of them were good or even great, with one absolute stinker in the midst, but it's the effort that counts.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I agree with Mooky and ProfessorRatigan. The 90s were the best, the Walt Era second (if only because while I like his versatility in films, I admit I think the stories and character writing got stronger during the 90s), the "Dark Ages", even if disliked, have gems here and there, and the 2010s are just generic kids' films that are influenced by outsiders and marketing rather than genuine art or ambitious storytelling. :D
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I might be biased being a 90s kid, but yeah I gotta go with the 90s. It must not be just me if they feel the need to recapture so many of them by remaking most of them.

In contrast its hard to go back to older movies, they havent aged as well. I kinda consider mermiad to be a 90s movie even if it missed it by a hair. The video release was probably 90s anyway. Lets call it the caps era, because it sounds like most movies where that system was used was gold. with some exceptions of course.

the 00's were mostly junk, disney trying to transition to CG and getting so so results.

the 2010's of course got way better. About as good as Disney was going to get at 3D animation. As we approach the end of the decade they've kinda peeked with this medium (so far). Things are starting to look samey. good but not really pushing to do anything new.

Its time to return to their roots though, explore what can be achieved with hand drawn again with computer assisted lighting and coloring, like the upcoming Klaus on netflix.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Klaus looks amazing! I would like to see Paperman's technique and the Rapunzel painterly technique used. I selfishy wish we could see the Fragonard painterly CGI used on a Cinderella animated remake. A guy can dream.

thedisneyspirit, this is about the decades, so what do you mean by Walt era? Which decades are best?