DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:19 am 
Gold Collection

Now that Disney owns Star Wars, I assume they own the 80s series Droids and Ewoks. Does Disney's assumed ownership make the shows more or less likely to come out completely on DVD? I assume they would sell ok, but since they weren't directly made by Disney animation, maybe they wouldn't want to release it. There are some really obscure cartoons that have made it to DVD. It seems odd that there have never been proper releases for these series (just some spliced together episodes). I don't think Lucas ever viewed Ewoks or Droids with extreme dislike like he has the Star Wars Holiday Special.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Speaking of which, there were also the Ewok tv-movies made shortly after Return of the Jedi, called Caravan of Courage and The Battle of Ewok.

They were released on DVD in 2004, but have long been out of print. Disney did officially erase them from the canon when they acquired Lucasfilm, so I get the feeling those aren't top priority for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I would gladly pay for new DVD/Blu-ray editions of the first 2 cartoon series and the Ewok films (which in addition of the Holiday Special and the Clone Wars micro-series, I still consider canon and they haven't been dismissed as non-canon/Legends).

I would assume Disney now has the rights (and ironically Fox had international theatrical distribution for Caravan of Courage). I asked Disney about releasing at least the 2 Ewok films back during the DAF campaign for DuckTales and that my suggestions would be sent to the right department.

At any rate, I can't imagine them wasting an opportunity to release all this to tie-in with Rogue One.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 pm 
Gold Collection

I do already have the live action movies on DVD, so they'd have to come out in better quality for me to double dip on those.