Disney's Mort

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

I'd be more excited if Gary and Kirk, or a new director, was helming the next 2D project... I'm somewhat resentful based on the disappointment of "Princess and the Frog". To be honest, I thought it wasn't even that well animated...

Still, I'm glad to see anything 2D in the works. I hope "Snow Queen" comes along someday though.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Giygas wrote:Why are so many people making comparisons to the Black Cauldron? (not just here, I've been hearing it at several other boards, too) The Discworld books are all contained stories (except for the first two), and they're much more humorous than other fantasy novels.
Yes though they are contained stories, they are all connected in some way or form. He basically created a whole "cosmology" for the series. Same thing with Chronicle of Prydain. adapting a book out of the entire series(whether it's humorous or not) is bit more difficult to pull off than adapting a single novel book.

megustajake wrote:I'm somewhat resentful based on the disappointment of "Princess and the Frog". To be honest, I thought it wasn't even that well animated...
Not according to Rudy Matt Image
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

There are a lot of things that could be said about TP&TF, but to say it was badly animated is beyond silly. It's one of the more beautiful films I've seen from the post-Mermaid side of the canon (and I was inclined to dislike it because of some backgrounds not being real paintings; but they managed to blend it in very well).

Of all Musker and Clements' films (TGMD, Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet, and TP&TF), the only film I've never been too crazy about is Aladdin. So, it's safe to say I have full-confidence in them, and can't wait to see what they do with this. And, honestly, Disney probably trust M&C because of the relative critical (if not financial) acclaim received for TP&TF. Unless Christianity Today counts.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Saying it wasn't well animated isn't silly. But it's not badly animated.

But what were the non-painting backgrounds? CGI? Of...what?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote: But what were the non-painting backgrounds? CGI? Of...what?
It's hand drawn with digital coloring. many 2d cartoon shows use this nowadays not just on backgrounds but on characters themselves as well.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So.... any chance this will be musical or non-musical?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

They should adapted some Stephen King books into animated movies. :lol:
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Barbossa wrote:They should adapted some Stephen King books into animated movies. :lol:
:lol:
Like that nice clown of his you mean ??

Well.. I gues Pixar with their Cars series ruined any chance of a murderous vehicle :lol:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
MagicMirror
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MagicMirror »

I adore the Discworld books (and the old point and click games are still probably my favourites), and 'Mort' is definitely one of the best. It'll be interesting to see how Ron'n'John tackle it. Some of the humour is difficult to translate into the medium of film, and other Discworld adaptations have only been partially successful in this.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Super Aurora wrote:Interesting choice and I welcome that, but I have a feeling that adapting something from a book series is very hard to do.

Black cauldron kinda showed that. It's going to be hard to explain some stuff from the book with or without changes. And too much changes would kinda change the essence of the book.
I have to agree, SA. I haven't read any of the Discworld books, but I understand that the series has a very distinct flavour. I think at the very least the basic premise of the story is very intriguing, and could be very easy to turn into an entertaining film. Yet having a dip into such a complicated universe as Discworld could be difficult for one film, as it could be difficult to elaborate on certain points that would need explaining. Let's not forget that there are many separate adaptations of Discworld books, including some reasonably high-profile British TV movies. A potential theory of what they might be doing with the book is dropping the Discworld universe and instead just using the basic skeleton of the story (not having much to do with Discworld, I wouldn't be too bothered about that). Either way, at least they are adapting just a single book, and not trying to combine a few books into one film à la that film with the cauldron.

I'd also love to see The Snow Queen eventually come one day, but I'll take the line that there have been story problems bogging it down. Hans Christian Andersen wrote a story that is beautiful and poetic, and there are some brilliant characters and scenarios, but equally the story is very episodic and almost incoherent in places, a sort of jump into somebody's wandering imagination. I think part of the problem, though, was that they may have been trying to make the story fit the standard boy-loves-girl/princess-and-fairy/silly-sidekick mould (I saw some storyboards online from one point that had talking snowmen and goofy penguins and polar bears, and read in various places that it was being turned into a love story), when the story in fact is probably more akin to Pinocchio or even Alice in Wonderland. What the project probably needs is someone completely new and fresh who could jump in and restructure the thing into a more workable project.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

:pink: :pink: :pink:

woooohoooooooow I'm leaping for joy, 2D is finally back

I'm hoping the best of the best will bbe working on it again: Andreas Deja, eric Goldberg, Mark Henn, Bruce W. Smith, Randy Haycock and hopefully Glenn Keane as well 8) 8) 8)

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Some info on the plot of the book:

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -info.html

I wasn't really feeling what I read before in this thread, but this makes it sound really neat. And yay for a princess...I won't lie, I'm excited about that. :)
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

Disney's Divinity wrote:There are a lot of things that could be said about TP&TF, but to say it was badly animated is beyond silly. It's one of the more beautiful films I've seen from the post-Mermaid side of the canon (and I was inclined to dislike it because of some backgrounds not being real paintings; but they managed to blend it in very well).
I didn't say it was badly animated. But budget cuts were obviously made. "Down in New Orleans" is so sparse! Crowd scenes are minimal. Tiana was well animated, but there were several scenes where the character animation was awkward, especially Naveen, Lawrence, and Eudora. There were scenes it looked dangerously close to some of the DTV sequels, which is just unacceptable for Disney's long awaited return to traditional animation... there are beautiful scenes too: some shots from the bayou, Tiana and Naveen on the ferry, and my favorite, when Dr. Facilier shows Tiana the restaurant that could be...
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

REINIER wrote:
Barbossa wrote:They should adapted some Stephen King books into animated movies. :lol:
:lol:

Well.. I gues Pixar with their Cars series ruined any chance of a murderous vehicle :lol:
Or "Carrie"? :lol:

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

BelleGirl wrote:
REINIER wrote: :lol:

Or "Carrie"? :lol:
Or even The Shining. :lol:
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

megustajake wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:There are a lot of things that could be said about TP&TF, but to say it was badly animated is beyond silly. It's one of the more beautiful films I've seen from the post-Mermaid side of the canon (and I was inclined to dislike it because of some backgrounds not being real paintings; but they managed to blend it in very well).
I didn't say it was badly animated. But budget cuts were obviously made. "Down in New Orleans" is so sparse! Crowd scenes are minimal. Tiana was well animated, but there were several scenes where the character animation was awkward, especially Naveen, Lawrence, and Eudora. There were scenes it looked dangerously close to some of the DTV sequels, which is just unacceptable for Disney's long awaited return to traditional animation... there are beautiful scenes too: some shots from the bayou, Tiana and Naveen on the ferry, and my favorite, when Dr. Facilier shows Tiana the restaurant that could be...
Badly animated? Like what specifically? The film was amazing and deserves more respect then it has gotten thus far. I predict in time that will be corrected.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Phil Johnson

Post by Phil Johnson »

I'm totally unfamiliar with the Discworld series. Have to go dig it up. Though it doesn't surprise me that they're trying something a little darker, considering what they're doing with Mickey and such lately.

Maybe they're figuring Black Cauldron was ahead of it's time and the public is more ready for something edgy now.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I know this was posted somewhere in a different thread, but I have to reiterate that I am very interested in the project. To be completely truthful, I had never heard of "Mort" or "Discworld" before, but after reading the Wikipedia article, I'm just excited because it's something different which is something Disney needs right now, especially in their traditional animation department.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Well I can't say I'm jumping with joy over this, but at least it's in 2D. But is it even a musical?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Poody wrote:Well I can't say I'm jumping with joy over this, but at least it's in 2D. But is it even a musical?
I noticed on the Wikipedia page that "Mort" has been adapted with music before, so it doesn't seem to be out of the question.

But I wouldn't mind this film not being a musical.