Disney's Mort

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Poody wrote:Well I can't say I'm jumping with joy over this, but at least it's in 2D. But is it even a musical?
I noticed on the Wikipedia page that "Mort" has been adapted with music before, so it doesn't seem to be out of the question.

But I wouldn't mind this film not being a musical.
OMG, it's a Disney film, guys! It has to have songs! It must be a musical! Argh! Arrrrrgh! Arrwdejswheufg :evil: :evil: :angry: :roll: :p :cry: :mickey: :cry: pasinfvdpfjnvfgjnv :pan:

;)

Being serious now...I wouldn't mind it being a musical, though of course, I'm not too bothered if it isn't. I wouldn't mind a soundtrack akin to Tarzan or Toy Story, with one musical artist performing songs in the film as a sort of voice-over - a film with music, so to speak.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

The Discworld is a fantasy realm that is flat and sits atop four elephants that stand atop a giant turtle
This makes me very happy. I'm definitely going to have to check out these books. I'm dying to know what this world looks like!
eralkfang
Limited Issue

Post by eralkfang »

Discworld? How very ambitious! I'm interested to see what will come of it.

I'm not terribly worried about accessibility; each Disworld novel can be picked up independently and followed pretty well, so I think it can be done. I'm seeing a prologue covering the premise of the world before narrowing in on Mort.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Am I the only one who thinks anything from Discworld is too adult for Disney?

It's not aimed at all ages (well, at least 10 and up) like...any of their previous sources.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote: It's not aimed at all ages (well, at least 10 and up) like...any of their previous sources.
Sleeping Beauty- rape

HoND- necrophilia, adultery, child negligent, sex(actual one), etc

I could go on.

If disney can adapt HoND, then it can adapt Discworld.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Patrick wrote:
The Discworld is a fantasy realm that is flat and sits atop four elephants that stand atop a giant turtle
This makes me very happy. I'm definitely going to have to check out these books. I'm dying to know what this world looks like!
Pretty much like this. :lol:
And this is a cake. Goes to show you, there are some pretty die hard fans out there!
Disney Duster wrote:Am I the only one who thinks anything from Discworld is too adult for Disney?

It's not aimed at all ages (well, at least 10 and up) like...any of their previous sources.
Well, when you think about, most of the original fairy tales weren't really suited for kids. Or at least, for kids of our generation.

The original story of Cinderella had the step-sisters cutting off parts of their feet to fit into the glass slipper.

And in the original Sleeping Beauty, when the prince found her, uh... Let's just say he didn't kiss her to wake up.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

LySs wrote: The original story of Cinderella had the step-sisters cutting off parts of their feet to fit into the glass slipper.
That's in the Brothers Grimm version.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, um, that's the Grimm's version with a golden slipper.

Also, those original sources are NOT the stories Disney did their movies on. Disney based theirs on the much more child friendly French or Grimm versions.

However, Discworld has no kid friendly versions. The Discworld series is meant for adults, not for people of all ages.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame I am unsure of, but I think that was less adult than Discworld is.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

How about Hercules? Nothing in the original myth screams "Disney animated feature." I'm still surprised somebody at Disney thought they could tell that story as a family film. Though, I guess that's why the story is more Superman than it is the actual story of Hercules.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I guess what I mean is, Discworld aims to be very adult. A lot of the stories brought up here were written long ago when everyone, kids and adults knew them. But Discworld takes a kind of sarcastic adult view of the whole world, kind of skewering and twisting everything. And the language is very adult. It's like...literature that knows it's adult, that intends to be adult, not just tell a good story.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

estefan wrote:How about Hercules? Nothing in the original myth screams "Disney animated feature." I'm still surprised somebody at Disney thought they could tell that story as a family film. Though, I guess that's why the story is more Superman than it is the actual story of Hercules.
Goor remark, estefan! Disney's Hercules is just a retelling of the Superman story dressed in Greek mythology. :wink: :P

I haven't read anything of Discworld, and maybe it's better I should not, to retian a fresh look at the Disney version

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:I guess what I mean is, Discworld aims to be very adult. A lot of the stories brought up here were written long ago blablabla
I guess what you *really* mean is that you didn't think of all the adult stories Disney had based their movie on, and rather than just saying "you were right, I didn't think of that", you start to come up with bullshit arguments and grasping for straws.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote: The Hunchback of Notre Dame I am unsure of, but I think that was less adult than Discworld is.
No it isn't. If you have to or must make a comparison for a demography for Discworld, it would be something akin to LotR. HoND was a political novel.

Like Goliath said, you're just grasping straws here.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No, I'm not. I am not saying I am sure it is too adult, I am just discussing it. I'm pretty familiar with Discworld, from reading one book, looking at others, and seeing some movies, and, actually, the "political novel" part is good at illustrating why Hunchback is different from Discworld.

Hercules, LOTR, and Hunchback were trying to tell stories, that included all things in the world, including violence and sex. Discworld aims to be adult. It specifically is trying to say and do things that conflict with Disney's values and beliefs.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:No, I'm not. I am not saying I am sure it is too adult, I am just discussing it. I'm pretty familiar with Discworld, from reading one book, looking at others, and seeing some movies, and, actually, the "political novel" part is good at illustrating why Hunchback is different from Discworld.

Hercules, LOTR, and Hunchback were trying to tell stories, that included all things in the world, including violence and sex. Discworld aims to be adult. It specifically is trying to say and do things that conflict with Disney's values and beliefs.
But like anything else they did, they can "disney-ified" it just like they did with Hercules, HoND, Jungle Book, etc. And considering who the directors are: Ron and Jon and their comedy routines, it's no-brainer that they will do just that.
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Disney Duster wrote: Discworld aims to be adult. It specifically is trying to say and do things that conflict with Disney's values and beliefs.
Not necessarily. In fact, there's even some Discworld books out there for kids/young adults.

If Terry Pratchett was trying to write books that are specifically trying to say and do things that conflict with Disney's values and beliefs, he wouldn't create books from his Discworld series for a younger audience to get into.

But of course, I could be wrong.
King Louis 2010
Limited Issue

Post by King Louis 2010 »

I'm not familiar with any of Terry Pratchett's work [though I'm assuming it's like Tolkien but more comedic?], but I'm liking the sound of this very much. Seems like exactly the thing Disney should do. Somewhat different subject matter, but obviously it will incorporate many of the things we love about DACs.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Sounds cool

Post by Tangled »

Excpecialy that the next two Disney Princess movies are both CGI (Disney's Tangled and Pixar's Brave.)
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:Hercules, LOTR, and Hunchback were trying to tell stories, that included all things in the world, including violence and sex. Discworld aims to be adult. It specifically is trying to say and do things that conflict with Disney's values and beliefs.
It's an artificial distinction that you came up with when you were reminded that your initial arguments didn't held up. Just like your irrelevant point that some stories are from "a long time ago" and 'Discworld' isn't. Why not just say you don't want to see an adaptation from the books because you don't like them? No shame or harm in that.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

estefan wrote:How about Hercules? Nothing in the original myth screams "Disney animated feature." I'm still surprised somebody at Disney thought they could tell that story as a family film. Though, I guess that's why the story is more Superman than it is the actual story of Hercules.
I totally agree with you. It "Hercules" was Disney's nod to Superman.

Disney Duster wrote:Yea, um, that's the Grimm's version with a golden slipper.

Also, those original sources are NOT the stories Disney did their movies on. Disney based theirs on the much more child friendly French or Grimm versions.

However, Discworld has no kid friendly versions. The Discworld series is meant for adults, not for people of all ages.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame I am unsure of, but I think that was less adult than Discworld is.
Actually, there is a series of these books meant for Young Adults. The Wee Free Men series comes to mind.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney