Disney's Mort

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

OT, but...
Escapay wrote:NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. Basically, you've got 30 days to write a novel of 50,000 words (1667/day). It's a lot of fun, because it celebrates the joy of writing rather than the actual quality of it (their slogan is "No Plot? No Problem!"). I first did it last year but it fell by the wayside and I never finished the novel (and to be honest, I didn't like where it was going either), but this year I'm hoping to actually finish this time.
Why didn't anybody tell me about this? :shock: :( Now, I only have 24 days to write a novel! Mind you, I suppose I don't fall under the specific "National". :p
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Still OT.

Anyone can do it, Wondy. :P But if they called it International Novel Writing Month, we couldn't abbreviate it NaNoWriMo, it'd be InNoWriMo. And that looks weird.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Contributing to the OT-ness:

Plus, Wondy, it's quite odd to say InNo. It's much easier to say NaNo. :P
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

OT: I just raked my yard.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Also OT: It was raining where I was this morning.

Now, now, let's get things back on track. q-:
Fairytales
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fairytales »

I wonder what tale they'll use for this film!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Fairytales wrote:I wonder what tale they'll use for this film!
Erm...have a look at the first post of this thread. It reveals the "tale" they're using; it's already sparked four pages of discussion.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Re: "Golden Opportunities"!

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Duster,

I hate to jump on the "Tangled" bandwagon, but I have two other choices, and they aren't exactly the mintiest of choices...

I could call the story "Rumpelstiltskin", but it's based upon the English version of the story. In "Rumpelstiltskin", the king orders the miller's (?) daughter spin straw into gold. In the English version of the story, the king orders the maiden (who apparently has no father?) to spin wool into gold.

The main character from "Rumpelstiltskin" is a gnome, while the main character from the English version of the story is a winged creature, who sports a long tail and bow shoes.

The English story is called...are you ready for this..."Tom Tit Tot". I'll give you three guesses as to what the average American 5-year-old will do when they hear, or even read, THAT title, and, yes, guesses one and two are wrong... :lol: Besides, can you imagine that title being emblazened upon lunch boxes, doll boxes, beauty kits, etc.? If the maiden is at all buxom, that title works even LESS well as, well, a title...

Of course, I don't know how well the title of "Golden Opportunities" would mesh with the Nox Arcana-style soundtrack that I'm planning to give to the story...or to the traditional, dark, Middle Ages style that I'm going to give to the characters.

Seeing as how the color gold plays such an important part in Disney's "Tangled", I think that Nik should be another color (He was originally a little black imp in "TTT", but, in today's world, that would be perceived as being racist, so he should be a glowing bluish-green (?) shade, or a glowing shade of amber (THAT sounds cool to me, anyway), and he should be voiced by Antonio Banderas, or...I don't know...;he needs a bedroom voice...with an accent that will contrast with the maiden's imperious English accent! After all, he has a mustache, he's exotic, and he's elegant...I know, I know, I've just created another stereotype, but I sort of think that that sort of a stereotype might work...

Thank you in advance for your reply.
:idea:

Disney Duster wrote:Are you calling it "Golden Opportunities" because of the "Tangled" name? I wish it could have the original, classic name...
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Jackoleen, I didn't think it was a stereotype till you said so! Don't worry, you can make anything original the way you do it...

I would have used the original European version of Rumpelstiltskin (the Grimm's?) to fit with Disney's past fairy tales. However, Disney is just messing up how they do fairy tales now, so what does it even matter? Sigh!

I would also keep quiet about most of your project, because you don't want people to steal it. But it sounds very interesting, and think I might like to see Disney working their magic on your ideas! I think to do it, you'd have to go to them and pitch to them, I think that's how it works, I don't know...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Claire Keane, visual development artist who worked on Tangled and Enchanted, is working on Mort.
What's next for this irrepressible visual development artist? Claire is actually already working with Ron Clements and John Musker's next project.
Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... omedy.aspx
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Her illustrations are pretty good. And her drawing skills are awesome. I'm very curious to see where this projects is going. Wasn't their next project the one based on the Discworld novel?

But I hope Disney keeps it under wraps for now. Every bit of news gets twisted by the media and the money Tangled is making right now should be enough to silence everyone for awhile. Let this great film speak for itself and the studio's hard work. Give these people some space.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Wonderful article, Sotiris, thanks for posting. I'm really looking forward to seeing Rapunzel (as it's called in The Netherlands) now.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

her style look like Mary Blair's a little bit.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steve Hulett wrote:Design work is being done on Ron Clements' and John Musker's new feature Mort. Sadly, I didn't take the time to peer at what's being done.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-diz.html
Andreas Deja wrote:We're waiting for the new hand-drawn feature to come through. It's in the early stages, so I'm experimenting with some short ideas right now. [...] They're working on a new idea for a feature film. The team is Ron Clements and John Musker. They're in the early stages of that. Most of the animators are doing some experimenting right now in terms of style. Maybe we can do a whole new style for that particular film. But full animation will begin when they have some storyboards ready for us, so it might be a little while.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXOCNIyr6I
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JEANYLASER »

Thanks for the info! This is awesome! Cars 2 will be a hit just like Toy Story 3!
JEANY SANCHEZ
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, it's not a certainty that it will be hand-drawn? :o There's a possibility they might want to (or be forced to) change the medium to CGI? :(
Ron and John are currently developing their next project, and are hoping once again to utilize hand drawn animation. It is too early in the process to talk about the movie’s content. It will take about three years before it will be released but Ron and John seem very enthused about it.
Source: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID513510.asp
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:An Interview with John Musker and Ron Clements
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID513510.asp
Ron and John are currently developing their next project, and are hoping once again to utilize hand drawn animation. It is too early in the process to talk about the movie’s content. It will take about three years before it will be released but Ron and John seem very enthused about it.
So, it's not a certainty that it will be hand-drawn? :o There's a possibility they might want to (or be "forced" to) change the medium to CGI? :(
Oh, great. I really REALLY hope it doesn't come to that! :(
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Just to balance it up, I hope it does!

Honestly, until they stop making their 2D films seems to flat and lifeless (and using 3D props), I don't like the look of modern 2D films, which is basically all digitalised anyway. Tangled seemed more organic than PatF, and there's something very wrong with that.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow. Could not disagree more about that.

The Princess and the Frog was stunningly beautiful for me. It's been the first 2D film that combined 3D-made backgrounds with 2D that managed to work. Well, the first was Bambi and the Great Prince, but they seemed to do the same for TP&TF.

The only thing that I don't like about 3D films is that 10 years down the road, they all look out-dated compared to what's new. Already looking back at films like Finding Nemo, they're not looking as incredible as they once did. And I have no doubt that Tangled will end up the same way. Gothel's hands and Flynn's face in particular weren't very "organic" to me. On the other hand, 2D...never looks outdated. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Gotta disagree about Nemo. It holds up perfectly. older movies like monsters inc, a Bugs Life, Toy Story, I'll grant you are showing their age. but nemo looks just as impressive as it was when it came out. The only thing that sticks out to me, and this is just a nitpick, is Gill's scar. They used a rather unconvincing bump map for it. But ven the humans were starting to look "incredibles" esk, as in fairly modern looking.

But yeah 3d is more susceptible to aging just because of how new it is, relatively speaking to hand drawn.

2D doesn't age you ask me. There was a time where it did, but we're past the experimental phase for the most part. we've ironed out the kinks. the only thing that can age is when its merged with other more demensional
mediums (CG, live action, etc)
But anything made in caps, or other similar systems looks like it was made yesterday to me.