Disney's Mort

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

TsWade2 wrote:But I thought that project was cancelled. :?
It was and still is.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

TsWade2 wrote:But I thought that project was cancelled. :?
Well, apparently, Mort was. Disney never got the rights to the Discworld series or something.
Sotiris

Re: Disney's Mort

Post by Sotiris »

Sorry, if I got your hopes up everyone. Mort has not been resurrected. I just found some additional information about the project.
Sue Nichols wrote:2010-2011: I worked with Disney Feature Animation Directors, Ron Clements and John Musker again. I adore working with people with whom I already have a relationship. Knowing what your bosses want and they knowing what you can deliver makes the work far easier to achieve. I've worked with Ron and John since the 1980s, so it feels like we are in the same building even if on opposite sides of the country when we are discussing ideas. Now, I don't think I can say what I was working on since the project was shelved. But those of you who know my love of Halloween and the morbid would know how much I LOVED working on this drop-dead idea. I really hope they eventually obtain the rights to do this. Disney can use a Goth Princess!

A personal holiday card I sent during the development of this nameless idea.

As I paint more and more digitally, I find myself leaving lines behind and playing more with shapes and color.
Source: http://www.mothernichols.com/about-sue- ... phy/2010s/

Nik Ranieri wrote:Jamie [Lopez] has been trying to get [Hullabaloo] off the ground for a couple of years at least. He tried at Disney but Disney wasn't interested – well, Disney wasn't interested in anything that we had to say. I’m sure if he had brought it as a 3D project they would have been a little more interested. If you've seen any of the footage of that stuff, it’s just great. He combines the technology and uses it where it needs to be used but still has that hand-drawn look. We were on board to do something like that until circumstances at Disney… There were some legal problems with the film they were working on at the time and the whole project was dropped and that was the beginning of the end for 2D. Once that picture was done, the following two years… Everybody was in the dark. No one actually knew what to do.

This was right after Winnie the Pooh finished and were starting to work on this picture called Mort. They were going to do it in stereoscopic 2D and it was really cool. They did some tests, they did model sheets and all this stuff, and they were working on it but the [rightsholder] wanted the world. He wanted creative control, he wanted this, he wanted that, he wanted to be one of the directors and they said "No, we don’t work that way. We’re going to buy you out. Here’s the deal. If you don’t like it you have two weeks to decide. If you pass, we’re done". Two weeks went by, the guy passed and Disney pulled out.
Source: http://endcredits.podbean.com/e/nik_ranieri/
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Nice painting. But I thought we're done talking about Mort since it's not going to happen.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Nice find, thanks Sotiris! :)
TsWade2 wrote:But I thought we're done talking about Mort since it's not going to happen.
So we're not allowed to talk about it anymore? :brick:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Concept art of Ysabel reading poetry by Claire Keane.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/keaneclaire/ph ... 73/?type=1
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Gorgeous!

And I want a dress like that.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sorry to be that person: But, Ysabel would have been ANOTHER blonde? :roll:

But, beautiful concept art!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Sorry to be that person: But, Ysabel would have been ANOTHER blonde? :roll:

But, beautiful concept art!
Actually, Ysabell is described in the books as having silver/ white hair.
-Tim
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More concept art by Claire Keane.

Mort working in his tool shed.

Ysabel at the piano playing Rachmaninoff.

Death, Keli, Mort, and Ysabel (there's a love triangle: Keli likes Mort but Mort likes Ysabel).

Ysabel pushing the organ.

Ysabel being a pest to Death.

Princess Ysabel stomping in her boots.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Beautiful work. I am particularly intrigued by the pieces showing Ysabel at the piano and organ. Have we ever had a major character in a WDAS film that plays classical repertoire on the pianoforte? :drool:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh gosh I hadnt seen any of this concept art, not even the stuff posted from pre-2016. I wish they had made this film, it would have been so cool and different for them. Im not surprised about Disney's reaction to the rights holder thing though, when it comes to their animated films Disney likes being in full control, even if it means passing on the the concept for a fantastic story and potential film... nope they gotta make sure they call the shots so that it it all fits into their little safe narrow-minded aesthetic. :roll:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Oh wow this is the first time I've ever seen concept art for this film either. It's absolutely stupendous! It's a shame Disney won't be making this film now, but I know I'll certainly be checking out the books :wink:
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WOW! This actually looked really really good! I'm taken completely by surprised :o I hope this comes back *cough* from the dead *cough*. But, for now, I'm glad Moana came out of this :) I do hope they do a grim reaper movie someday.
unprincess wrote:Im not surprised about Disney's reaction to the rights holder thing though, when it comes to their animated films Disney likes being in full control, even if it means passing on the the concept for a fantastic story and potential film... nope they gotta make sure they call the shots so that it it all fits into their little safe narrow-minded aesthetic. :roll:
Yeah, I remembered the plot really really different from this. I can see why the author denied them rights.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

from the concept art it looks like it would have had 2 female leads, one cute and bubbly and one morbid and "goth". It would have been so cute! Dammit Disney, whyyyy?!? :x
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mort is getting a live-action feature adaptation. It was announced at this year's Discworld Con. The project's not affiliated with Disney, of course. It makes me mad that the author wouldn't give the rights to Disney, depriving us from an innovative 2D-animated movie, but has no problem giving the rights to someone else.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/officialjoshki ... 6660705877
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:Mort is getting a live-action feature adaptation. It was announced at this year's Discworld Con. The project's not affiliated with Disney, of course. It makes me mad that the author wouldn't give the rights to Disney, depriving us from an innovative 2D-animated movie, but has no problem giving the rights to someone else.

http://i.imgur.com/OpcDvrul.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/officialjoshki ... 6660705877
I have mixed feelings on this. I actually really wanted to see a film version of this (even though I haven't read any of the books) but I wanted to see a Disney version of it. It probably wouldn't have been 2D though even if Disney was making it which is a pity, because the concept art is so innovative.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I have a hard time believing it would've ended up 2D when M&C's actual film is 3D now. Most likely Lasseter would've put his foot down like he eventually did with them.

As for Mort itself, I haven't read the book (series?), but I can't really fault the author for not going with Disney. If I wanted an adaptation to be closer to the material, I definitely would not go with Disney.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Sotiris wrote:Mort is getting a live-action feature adaptation. It was announced at this year's Discworld Con. The project's not affiliated with Disney, of course. It makes me mad that the author wouldn't give the rights to Disney, depriving us from an innovative 2D-animated movie, but has no problem giving the rights to someone else.
Terry Pratchett isn't "depriving" Disney of an opportunity to make a 2D film; Disney is doing that to themselves. Time and time again Disney has compiled beautiful artistic concepts only for the final product to be continuing the CG trend.

I am 80% 90% 99% sure if Disney adapted Mort, it would have ended up CG for a minuscule reason, such as "Oh, Death is scary and we needed CG to capture the different shades of death."

Plus Pratchett likely wanted a decent amount of copyright that Disney wouldn't allow. I don't think it's wrong for an author to be protective of their work. Haven't you seen how they butchered the book Mars Needs Moms when it was made into a movie? :P
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I thought Disney passed on the rights b/c Prachett insisted on them buying the whole book series and they just wanted to buy Mort?