DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:30 pm 
Special Edition

Don't you think AIDA would make a great animated film?

Sure, it's a tragedy and they both die at the end. But it's also a happy ending in that they both find each other in another life.

Think Disney would do it? Without adding goofy characters for comedic relief?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:37 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If Disney did make an animated version of it they'd change it to have a happier ending. I mean that's what they did for Hunchback and Pocahontas. I overall think there are better choices for animated stories!

Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 pm 
Special Edition

1) What live-action film? There's no such thing!

2) The music in this film is gorgeous! I think it would make a brilliant film. Pocahontas wasn't a happy ending - they said goodbye. It was solemn. Aida would have a happier ending than Pocahontas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

1. Oh cay never mind I thought we were talking about Evita!

2. Notice the word happier! If they made made a true story about Pocahontas she would die at the end!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:48 pm 
Special Edition

Noooooooooooooooooo...

The film Pocahontas didn't tell her life story. Only the story of her and John Smith.

If they were true to history, Pocahontas would have went with John Smith back to England. This, in fact, did happen in the sequel.

I believe she died on the boat trip back to the new world - or perhaps it was on the way to England.

The only thing Disney changed was that Pocahontas didn't go back to England with John Smith. They cut the story with the departure of Smith going back to London.

They never meant to tell the entire story of her life. Buy the recently released 2-disc DVD and watch the "Making of" bonus featurettes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:
2. Notice the word happier! If they made made a true story about Pocahontas she would die at the end!

Not after the settlers left, she wouldn't. Any historical life ends with death, but Disney's film isn't about <i>Pocahontas</i>'s time on Earth, but a specific encounter...and then fictionalized/romanticized, of course. It would make little sense to follow on with what happens next...but <i>Pocahontas II</i> did, and while I haven't seen the film, I don't think her dying is the end of the story that's being told. It's not really fair to say that Disney went for a happier ending in <i>Pocahontas</i>.

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe Aida was supposed to have orignally been an animated feature, but because of the tragic ending, it was thought better suited for Broadway. I was there last summer and I missed it! :cry:

1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:06 pm 
Special Edition

Nope - always meant to be a stage musical.

Time Rice and Elton John wrote fantastic music for it. The creative team was very excited because this was the first Broadway musical not based on any of their films - but an original work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:04 am 
Gold Collection

My friend said that a lady once laughed so hard at the death and ending of Aida that she had to be removed. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Aida has a heavy cheating theme. I don't know if it would make a good animated film. THere aren't elements that need to be animated. No talking desert friends of anything. Aida is a Princess who is captured and forced into slavery and the man who did this to her falls in love with her, but he is engaged. It causes this huge love triangle and a heavy forbidden love theme and it ends with the prince and Aida getting buried alive together. It was a great broadway show, but I can't see it being done as an animated feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:08 pm 
Special Edition

I did some investigating - and originally (as stated above) - the story WAS to be an animated film. But Elton John and Tim Rice thought it better to develop it as a stage production.

So the story was developed for the stage, but the original tale it's based off of was to be an animated film.

Disney knew the story - and still thought to turn it into an animated film. Perhaps they'd still do it, but tweak it, as they always do.

Cinderella was more dark than what Disney did with it. The cutting off of heels and toes and blood-soaked slippers.

Disney is an expert in taking liberties with stories.

I think it would work. Amneris is great comedic relief, and yet also a sincere dramatic tragedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:48 pm 
Limited Edition

MovieMusicals.net wrote:
I did some investigating - and originally (as stated above) - the story WAS to be an animated film. But Elton John and Tim Rice thought it better to develop it as a stage production.

I told you! :roll: I wouldn't mind an Aida musical, and I think it would be successfuly, because it already has a built-in fanbase, not to mention the millions of Americans who've heard of it, but just couldn't find the means to get to New York and see the show (or got there, and chose to see Bombay Dreams, instead :wink: ).

1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:51 pm 
Special Edition

LOL, well, we were both half right. It was always meant to be a stage musical in its development, but was first planned as an animated film before anything was written.

Bombay Dreams is touring and coming to my local city. I can't help it - I am curious. I think I'll buy tickets... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disney should try maybe Doctor Dolittle, if they can get the rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:55 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

MovieMusicals.net wrote:
Nope - always meant to be a stage musical.

Time Rice and Elton John wrote fantastic music for it. The creative team was very excited because this was the first Broadway musical not based on any of their films - but an original work.

Aida was definitely pitched at feature animation but was quickly handed over to Disney Theatricals. I think it's fine the way it is. But if animated musicals ever get back in fashion, this one will be easy to adapt very quickly so Disney can slap it out in time before it gets out of fashion again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:24 pm 
Gold Collection

I saw the OBC of Aida, and wasn't that impressed. The vocals were awesome, and a couple songs were great, but for the most part I thought it was just blah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:32 pm 
Special Edition

Today for you - tomorrow for me! :-D

AIDA was good but had flaws in its book. I have re-written the script, removed the song "Like father, like son" and made other adjustments. PERFECTION.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:05 pm 
Gold Collection

MovieMusicals.net wrote:
Don't you think AIDA would make a great animated film?

Sure, it's a tragedy and they both die at the end. But it's also a happy ending in that they both find each other in another life.

Think Disney would do it? Without adding goofy characters for comedic relief?

that would be intresting to see it happen i saw the musical with my mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:43 am 
Limited Edition

I just saw the touring company last night and really enjoyed the show. Of course I picked up the soundtrack and program at the merchandise counter and am listening to the soundtrack now. I was wondering about its animation status and then found this thread. I think it is kind of interesting it being considered for animation considering its themes. There were a few times in the show where I was like "Wait.......Did they just do that? Isn't this Disney?" But I really liked that I was suprised by the maturity of it. It was well balanced with Amneris and her comedic role. Of course the music is awesome (I really like the song "Radames' Letter"). Overall it was a good night out at the theatre and I have some memories and songs to stick with for a while.

Does anyone know about a touring production of "Tarzan"? I heard it bombed on Broadway, but I wasn't able to make it up to see it this past year. I was kind of hoping it would close down and tour (is it bad to hope a show closes down?).

Also, what else does Disney have on their Broadway schedule? I've only seen "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aida". I am trying to find a location to see "The Lion King" but having a bit of trouble. I heard it was going to the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco this year but can't find the dates. I think I also heard it was going to Detroit: once again no luck. I guess I may have to wait until it comes to Kansas :oops:

Also, is Mary Poppins still playing overseas? I may head over to West End in a few months and check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:46 am 
Limited Edition

What happens in Aida?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:56 am 
Limited Edition

There is a really romantic scene where Radames starts to take off Aida's clothes and they are all rubbing each other and the lights go down. They come up to the two laying down on stage "after the fact" and talking about being naked and stuff. It is totally romantic and done true to the characters, however I was taken aback at the maturity of it. You would NEVER see scenes like this in a Disney Animated Film. It was tasteful and well done (no one actually gets anywhere near naked), but with the Disney name above the title I just wasn't expecting it.