Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Super Aurora wrote:
bradhig wrote:Sounds similar to Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES but I don't know which park was in the game.

It says it right the damn title?!
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
But it doesn't mention which Magic Kingdom, though. There is more than one, you know.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jon Favreau Talks Vision, Inspiration & Story for 'Magic Kingdom'
http://screenrant.com/jon-favreau-magic ... uly-90983/
(via laughingplace.com)
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

I am a little nervous about this movie but if done right it will be amazing. I had no idea they were thinking about doing a movie based on The Enchanted Tiki Room!? lol I would have guessed one for Thunder Mountain first but I cannot wait for the new Haunted Mansion it will finally be done justice (I hope)
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Magic Kingdom: Planned film

Post by WarriorDreamer »

There is talk of a future live action film planned from Disney called Magic Kingdom which is said to focus on a family who visit Disneyland to find all the characters and attractions come to life.

I would assume that means instead of actors playing the characters they become real and the attractions become the actual Disney worlds. I think it sounds like a really good idea. It would probably be reeaally expensive to actually do it justice, but done right it could be like an epic magical adventure and an exciting look at a Disneyland fanatic fan's ultimate fantasy. If done badly it could end up being like an unexciting tourguide of Disneyland. But I doubt Disney would invest a load of money and for it to not be great.

There have been a lot of films based on Disneyland theme park rides, why not do one of the whole place altogether?

Here is the evidence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Kingdom#Planned_film. So, do you think it's a good idea or not?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sure, I'll probrably see it. Looks cool. I really hope they include Disney characters, including the new ones.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Please continue the discussion here:
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27293

Thanks!

I would merge this with that, but at the moment cannot.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: We spoke to Favreau recently and he said you guys have had some chats. ‘Cause you’re obviously kind into the same universe with his “Magic Kingdom” thing, [and you with "Haunted Mansion"] and he’s mentioned that maybe you guys will put some nods into each other’s films.

Guillermo Del Toro: I would love that. I've told John that if he can use some of my stuff and I can use some of his stuff and make it a cohesive universe that would be fantastic.
Source: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/681124 ... id=1668871
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'm really interested in seeing a trailer for this. Could be great, could suck. Time will tell, but I want it to be good!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lasseter is meddling again. :roll:
“I went back to back to back with three movies in a row, Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Cowboys & Aliens, all of them with release dates announced as I walked in,” Favreau said. “As I cracked the script for the first time we already knew the date and the poster, in some cases the cast. On this one, Magic Kingdom is a big film. It’s a very special piece of intellectual property with all the characters from the park and the legacy of Walt Disney.”

The film will be based on Disneyland’s Magic Kingdom theme park, but Favreau says the storytelling development of the film is inspired by Pixar. Pixar develops their stories for years before investing in animation production, because they can afford the time to craft the story, and sometimes go back to the drawing board midway through.

“What we’ve been doing is writing a script, going up to Pixar, meeting with the brain trust, coming back down, bringing on artists, story editors and putting it together as though it were an animated film so that by the time we actually film it, we’ll have a rock solid story,” Favreau continued. “I don’t want to rush anything. I want this thing to be perfect. I want it to be one shot one kill, like a sniper. I want to make sure this movie’s right in the crosshairs that we can really knock it out of the park so to speak.”

To be clear, Magic Kingdom is not a Pixar film. However, John Lasseter has introduced the Disney production to the Pixar staff and let the synergy flow. “As far as I know it’s a Disney production but they’ve been very good about Pixar,” Favreau said. “[I've known] Lasseter for many years now. It’s our first time collaborating together but he’s opened up all the resources of Pixar. I’ve been up there a few times now and stayed up at the ranch. It’s just been a dream come true. Taking a tour of Pixar is special enough but to sit in a room and pitch to those people and hear their ideas, it’s very, very exciting. I want to learn as much as I can from them and hopefully have their success in storytelling that they do as well by learning from their process. I really want to hold this film to a very high standard so I’m not rushing it but it’s coming along very well.”

The story as it exists so far is this: “It’s going to be a family in the park. It’s an alternate reality version of the park that they get launched into. So much of it is just how it weaves together as a tapestry and what the visuals look like in creating this rich world. It’s informed by everything that I remember and know about the park from going there since I was a small child.”

Classic and current Disneyland attractions are all under consideration as elements in the film. One Disney Geek even suggested Club 33. “Club 33 is something that we’ve been discussing. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the vulture in Club 33 as a character. There’s a lot of ideas swirling around now. I don’t know which ones are going to make it in but it’s definitely informed primarily by Walt’s vision of the park, even before and immediately after it opened. A lot of it for people our age there’ll be a nostalgic element to it. People who know Disneyland are going to see that we did our homework, but then it’s ultimately an adventure that’s going to be for the family and for the kids too. I had a lot of fun playing to that type of crowd with Elf and Zathura. This seems to be mixing elements from all the films I’ve done, from Iron Man, Cowboys & Aliens, Zathura, Elf all rolled into one project that really is calling upon everything I’ve learned up to this point.”

But you’ll have to wait to see this, because that’s how Pixar does it. “Fortunately there’s no rush on it. I’ve been working on it as a writer now and we’re looking forward to beginning that long lead prep as you would on an animated film. Then you work your way to where you know what the whole movie is going to be before you ever roll camera. You actually watch it as the Pixar people do and actually watch it on a screen and evaluate it before you ever roll camera.”
Source: http://www.craveonline.com/film/article ... ic-kingdom
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sounds great, great great with all they're doing to craft what sounds like a possibly amazing movie. Pretty un-Disney to use Pixar like that...but I don't care.

They're still saying its a Disney production, so okay. Whatever.

The only thing I'm concerned about is are they using Disney people with pixar or just Pixar, if it's just Pixar than that's totally wrong!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Wait. So... what? Is this going to be like some kind of 'everything becomes real' or something ordeal? Because it sounds like that and I had something similar in mind for the idea I was thinking of pitching to the company.

Mine is more about three kids making a wish for a Disney adventure, and then they get whisked in their sleep to a kingdom known as Disneyana, which is extremely similar-looking to Disneyland. The rides are real, but serve as important to the plot as they are clues to finding the seven crowns of Disneyana (each one representing a certain region of the kingdom, which by the way was inspired by the crowns that they put on the castle's turrets for the park's anniversary or something) in order to find the Black Cauldron, which they must find and destroy before Maleficent can get her hands on it to resurrect Chernabog.

It's not much of a plot, I know. But you probably get the idea, right?
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Duckburger wrote:This is going to be the biggest commercial ever.
Exactly.

Things must be pretty bleak in Disney's theme parks if they need to make a theme park movie. :oops:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

But didn't you read how they're very carefully crafting a good story so it's more than just a commercial?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Semaj wrote:Things must be pretty bleak in Disney's theme parks if they need to make a theme park movie. :oops:
Actually, the American theme parks have always been consistent moneymakers for Disney, and at times have been even more profitable for them than animation. Not to mention this is nothing new from Disney - let's not forget the Missions to Mars, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, and four Pirates of the Caribbean films. (Actually yeah, perhaps we should forget the first three....*shudders*) Not to mention the on-again, off-again production of the new Del Toro Haunted Mansion movie, as well as the Tim Allen-Tom Hanks Jungle Cruise flick.

Personally, I don't see how this really is any different from the days of Walt Disney. Disney himself was a corporate whore when it came to promoting his parks on the screen and vice versa. Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland opened FOUR years before the film was even released, and the walk thru inside opened TWO years before the release - it pretty much was the biggest advertisement you could make for a movie.

Not to mention, Walt himself shamelessly promoted Disneyland constantly on episodes of his television show almost every other week. Hell, he even made an entire 50 minute theatrical People and Places featurette on Disneyland alone - pretty much just one big commercial for the park.

The Magic Kingdom movie does sound like probably the biggest advertisement for the park, but it's nothing new. The company has been advertising their parks since Walt's time either in television or on the film screen.
-Tim
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:The company has been advertising their parks since Walt's time either in television or on the film screen.
They didn't do it on the film screen in Walt's day, though. Even though I still don't think its a big commercial, they don't need a commercial, some people want to tell a fun story about their favorite park and memories. And from what the article said, a very good story, too.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Disney Duster wrote:
PrincePhillipFan wrote:The company has been advertising their parks since Walt's time either in television or on the film screen.
They didn't do it on the film screen in Walt's day, though. Even though I still don't think its a big commercial, they don't need a commercial, some people want to tell a fun story about their favorite park and memories. And from what the article said, a very good story, too.
Actually they did, namely in the People and Places: Disneyland feature which was released in theatres. Not to mention outisde films that Walt allowed crews to film inside the park. Notably the movie 40 Pounds of Trouble starring Tony Curtis, where the film pretty much takes place entirely in Disneyland.
-Tim
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: They didn't do it on the film screen in Walt's day, though. Even though I still don't think its a big commercial, they don't need a commercial, some people want to tell a fun story about their favorite park and memories. And from what the article said, a very good story, too.
Actually they did, namely in the People and Places: Disneyland feature which was released in theatres. Not to mention outisde films that Walt allowed crews to film inside the park. Notably the movie 40 Pounds of Trouble starring Tony Curtis, where the film pretty much takes place entirely in Disneyland.
And they also released many episodes of the Disney anthology series to theaters, usually overseas. One was a 1962 episode called "Disneyland After Dark", which was released to theaters the following year abroad. And there's also another domestic theatrical film called "Gala Day At Disneyland", which was released in 1960. As well, in the EPCOT film, before going into Walt's plans for Florida, Disneyland is shown to set up the context for the Florida project.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Regarding Adventures at the Magic Kingdom, I am convinced it takes places at Disneyland. First, the castle greatly resembles Sleeping Beauty's castle. Second, Pirates and the Haunted Mansion are close to each other. In Disneyland, Haunted Mansion and Pirates are in the same land, New Orleans Square, whereas in Walt Disney World, Haunted Mansion is in Liberty Square, while Pirates is in Adventureland. Finally, the design of it's a small world greatly resembles that of Disneyland's.

Regarding this movie, I am actually excited for this movie. It sounds like it has a lot of potential and COULD potentially be the best Disney theme park based movie ever... MAYBE.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:Actually they did, namely in the People and Places: Disneyland feature which was released in theatres. Not to mention outisde films that Walt allowed crews to film inside the park. Notably the movie 40 Pounds of Trouble starring Tony Curtis, where the film pretty much takes place entirely in Disneyland.
Oh. Well I didn't know that. Mr. Smarty Pants
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

Post by HarryCanyon »

This could be as good as Pirates of the Caribbean