DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:12 am 

just discovering disney again after a long time. i watched one hundred one dalmatians (1961) and aristocats (1970) in one sitting, and noticed they are very similar.

-- which film do you prefer?

-- what scene is better?
A) 101 dalmatians - jasper and horace are attacked by pongo and perdita
B) aristocats - edgar is attacked by napoleon and lafeyette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:26 am 
Platinum Edition

Although I normally prefer cats to dogs, 101 Dalmatians is far and away the better film. The Aristocats has its funny moments, but mostly it's just dull, and Edgar doesn't work at all.

As for those two scenes, that is one of the best scenes from The Aristocats, actually. :lol: That said, I think the one from Dalmatians is better, considering it's one of the few overly tense moments in that film.

Christina Perri ~ "Human"
Dolly Parton ~ "Jesus & Gravity"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:29 am 
Limited Edition

Ok... seriously?

101 DalmatiAns is considered to be one of the most successful and enduring Disney classics, beloved by audiences and critics as well.

The Aristocas is part of the Dark Ages, dull, and easily forgotten.

No contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am 
Collector's Edition

Marce82 wrote:
Ok... seriously?

101 DalmatiAns is considered to be one of the most successful and enduring Disney classics, beloved by audiences and critics as well.

No contest.

This.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 am 
Limited Edition

I much prefer 101 Dalmatians, although, except for the song Cruella DeVil, I prefer the songs in The Aristocats. 101 can hardly be considered a musical.
Re: The Aristocats- did anyone else notice that the great Maurice Chevalier sings the title lyrics incorrectly when he sings "Which pets' address is the finest in Paris"? He pronounces Paris in the English way when it should be pronounced in the song as Paree to rhyme with the next line which ends in pedigree....that's always bothered me and I wonder why no one at Disney at the time corrected it. Maybe they were embarassed to tell him he made a boo boo?

I have a recording of the song by the Mike Sammes Singers and they sing the line as Paree-pedigree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Croixla wrote:
just discovering disney again after a long time. i watched one hundred one dalmatians (1961) and aristocats (1970) in one sitting, and noticed they are very similar.

How so? Are you only referring to the scene that you're mentioning about the attacking dogs or are they similar in other ways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Do we seriously need a competition? One Hundred and One Dalmatians for the fucking win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm 
Suspended

There's no question 101 Dalmatians is superior. Though I also don't think it's perfect nor one of Disney's all-time best. (Among their) most enduring? Sure. People like Beauty and the Beast; there's no understanding (let alone accounting for) public taste. But even with light flaws, it still has too many outstanding elements to ignore. Although, I really say the dogs are weak characters and they're so annoying, you can't just sit and watch them "do stuff." Unless they go completely invisible and inaudible to you which would certainly allow you to just appreciate the backgrounds and music. Which are quite excellent, as per classic Disney's usual.

However... uh-oh, here it comes... "Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat" is one of the best (if not the best) musical sequence(s) in an animated Disney film between Sleeping Beauty and The Great Mouse Detective. And, that's almost 30 years! So... I don't know if it follows Disney's edict of moving the story forward but it's just excellent. Not just colorful but it's also a scene that makes it impossible to dislike any of the pretty weak characters (and this works for the reprise at the end as well). Also... I liked Edgar. They didn't do much with him but he wasn't as dull as the kittens. And Dutchess. And O'Malley. And Madam. And most of the alley cats. And the geese. Only the lawyer, George, is anywhere near as enjoyable. Cruella DeVil is still a better villain and her song is still better than anything in Aristocats but 'cats still tried to have some good musical numbers. It's a different kind of movie, even though it still ripped off 'matians quite a bit. Anyone else think The Moon-Spinners when they see that windmill? Or, just The Old Mill?

Oh, and... for those people judging me for insisting Edgar is gay:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pifSBOytCkU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marce82 wrote:
Ok... seriously?

No contest.

I agree, though I always think one shouldn't blindly parrot what other people say, especially when it comes to critics. It's one thing to genuinely feel this way, but it's silly to think so just because it is the common opinion. The opinion of the majority of people is not always the right one. Therefore, citing it to answer a question, debate or discussion is pointless.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:14 am 
Collector's Edition

I would say 101 Dalmatians.

Aside from the fact that I like dogs more than cats (they're more fun!), it has a more focused story.

The villain is also much better, if a little overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 am 
Limited Edition

Gee, Goliath, thanks for the passive-aggressive comment toward me.

I agree that public opinion isn't always a reflection of quality, but no one can debate that 101 Dalmatians has made a much stronger impact on popular culture than Aristocats.

But if one can't trust the critics, and one can't trust popular opinion, is there anything to trust outside one's personal opinion?

If that is the case, here is mine: though hardly perfect, 101 Dalmatians is charming, has a great villain, possibly the best animation in any disney movie, the story is well structured and well paced and it has a style all of its own. All of these factors make me consider it one of the best Disney Classics.

Even though I have seen The Aristocats several, I can barely remember it (that's a BAD sign in my book), and I remember being pretty bored by it, both as a child and as an adult. And from what I do recall, Aristocats is something of a rehash of 101 Dalmatians (animals being kidnapped, and then trying to get back home) and Lady and the Tramp (refined female falling for the street-wise male).

Personal enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 am 
Limited Edition

Gee, Goliath, thanks for the passive-aggressive comment toward me.

I agree that public opinion isn't always a reflection of quality, but no one can debate that 101 Dalmatians has made a much stronger impact on popular culture than Aristocats.

But if one can't trust the critics, and one can't trust popular opinion, is there anything to trust outside one's personal opinion?

If that is the case, here is mine: though hardly perfect, 101 Dalmatians is charming, has a great villain, possibly the best animation in any disney movie, the story is well structured and well paced and it has a style all of its own. All of these factors make me consider it one of the best Disney Classics.

Even though I have seen The Aristocats several, I can barely remember it (that's a BAD sign in my book), and I remember being pretty bored by it, both as a child and as an adult. And from what I do recall, Aristocats is something of a rehash of 101 Dalmatians (animals being kidnapped, and then trying to get back home) and Lady and the Tramp (refined female falling for the street-wise male).

Personal enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I prefer the Aristocats. While it's been a while since I saw 101 dalmatians, I've always found the former film more fun and entertaining. 101 dalamtians is just okay in my eyes and nothing beyond that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey, Disneyfan09...

I have a theory.. How old are you? When was the first time you saw the Aristocats? Did you own the VHS in the 90s?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marce82 wrote:
Hey, Disneyfan09...

I have a theory.. How old are you? When was the first time you saw the Aristocats? Did you own the VHS in the 90s?

Hi Marce82. I'm in my late twenties. I saw the Aristocats when I was 10 years old, so I bought it in the mid-90s. And I've seen the Aristocats again as an adult and I still enjoy it. I haven't seen 101 dalmatians again (I know I should, so that doesn't make my opinion really valid), but as a kid, I used to like the Aristocats more. Its more sheer fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I love both, but I have to give a slight edge to 101 Dalmatians for no other reason than being released first and having a more memorable villain. This sudden dislike for The Aristocats on this forum is quite new to me, as I never found the movie dull or boring or actually being a rip-off of Dalmatians / Lady and the Tramp even though there are obvious similarities. That's like saying Bolt is a rip-off of Toy Story and Tangled is a rip-off of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

And say what you will, but the songs of The Aristocats are miles above Dalmatians' songs ("Cruella DeVil" excluded).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm 
Special Edition

Let's face it, 101 Dalmatians only has 2 songs in it (Cruella De Vil and the brief song Dalmatian Plantation, unless you count the Kanine Krunchies jingle, then you can make an argument for 3), so it's a given that The Aristocats can be seen as having better music, because frankly, there's more music in it.

I have to echo that 101 Dalmatians is the better movie overall though. Not only does it have a more memorable villain (as previously stated), but I have to say that the smaller supporting characters are just plain better in Dalmatians. The storyline is better than The Aristocats (and more memorable). I think there's more iconic moments in Dalmatians, whereas The Aristocats only has one iconic moment for me (of course that's the Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat sequence. I also like the Scales and Arpeggios segment, but I'm not sure if I'd consider that iconic). I don't always remember everything that happens in The Aristocats unless I watch it, but Dalmatians is easy to remember. I enjoy both in their own ways, but it's easy to say Dalmatians is definitely superior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Just a note: 101 Dalmatians isnt a musical! So you can't compare the songs, really. Yes, there are a couple of songs in it, but the only real song is Cruella DeVil, and its just there cause ROger is a composer.

If anything you can compare scores, not songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm 
Suspended

Mooky wrote:
That's like saying Tangled is a rip-off of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
How?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 pm 
Platinum Edition

Lazario wrote:
Mooky wrote:
That's like saying Tangled is a rip-off of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
How?
I thought the same thing! :lol:

Christina Perri ~ "Human"
Dolly Parton ~ "Jesus & Gravity"