Sneakerella

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sneakerella

Post by Sotiris »

:roll:
A new Disney+ movie titled Sneakerella produced by Jane Startz (Ella Enchanted, The Baby-Sitters Club) is in the works, and the studio is looking to begin filming late May of this year. Plot details are being kept under wraps, but the film, written by Tamara Chestna (After), Mindy Stern, and George Gore II (My Wife and Kids) will be a retelling of the famous Cinderella story in the setting of street sneaker culture.

No news of a director or cast yet, but a search is underway. Casting directors Natalie Hart and Jason La Padura of iconic Disney Chanel movies such as High School Musical, Twitches, and Camp Rock, are casting for this princess story as we speak.

Sneakerella will have no relation to the live-action Disney+ exclusive fairy godmother film, Godmothered, starring Jillian Bell (22 Jump Street) and Isla Fisher (Wedding Crashers), which is currently in production in Massachusetts.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/14/ex ... or-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Sneakerella

Post by Farerb »

Wasn't Disney Plus purpose was to put quality productions there? Why do they continue putting there garbage that should belong to the Disney Channel? Why would this film give people incentive to subscribe?!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

All I could do is laugh as I read through the blurb above. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:Wasn't Disney Plus purpose was to put quality productions there? Why do they continue putting there garbage that should belong to the Disney Channel? Why would this film give people incentive to subscribe?!
This is more of an incentive to unsubscribe lol.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Can I sue if a movie’s title is especially repugnant to me?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The entire premise of this film is repugnant to me and many others I can imagine.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Maybe we can all file a class action suit?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You guys are hilarious! :lol:
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

This is literally the stupidest movie idea i have ever heard from hollywood in MY ENTIRE LIFE !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What where they smoking when they came up with this ?? :? :? :? :o :lol: :lol: rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

what the heck is street sneaker culture? :|

you guys are surprised? I knew from the beginning this thing was announced that that they'd try to sell the service mostly on their back catalog of classic films and current MCU/SW and animated films and most of the originals would be a flood of cheap basic cable tier stuff. Maybe n a few yeas when new subscriptions start to dip or they loose too many old customers will they throw more money at their original productions.

btw what happened to that Frozen 2 special called Into the Unknown? Didn't they make a big deal before the film came out about this being exclusive to Disney +? Was it cancelled?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm still waiting for "Howard".
TBH I'm gonna pass on Disney Plus. I already own most of what I love on Blu-ray so I don't feel like it offers me much except junk like Noelle or that president thing or this.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

unprincess wrote:what the heck is street sneaker culture?
One of the episodes of The World According to Jeff Goldblum deals with sneaker culture, in addition to the scientific aspect of making sneakers. Years ago I read a magazine article about a teenager who sold high end collectible sneakers and made a fortune. Like baseball cards or fine art, there's a huge collector market for rare and collectible sneakers. I remember seeing an interview with the actress who plays Raven's daughter's friend on Raven's Home; that actress said that she's a big "sneaker head." It's a thing!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh I get it now, I knew about really expensive brand sneakers but not the whole collectors edition narket thing. They do that with women's shoes too so i shouldn't be surprised I guess.

so this Cinderella is gonna get some ultra rare artsy sneaks instead of glass slippers? :P
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

unprincess wrote:btw what happened to that Frozen 2 special called Into the Unknown? Didn't they make a big deal before the film came out about this being exclusive to Disney +? Was it cancelled?
Maybe that will premiere on Disney+ shortly before Frozen II appears on the service, similar to Lamp Life showing up a few weeks before Toy Story 4 added.

I will say Diary of a Future President is worth watching. It's the sort of show that might have played next to Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens back in the day, although they're allowed to get away with a little more. And it's technically not a Disney produced show, but rather licensed from CBS Television. However, it's really funny, the characters are engaging and the scripts are clever. Of the original series being offered on Disney+, that's my favourite one I've seen so far.

In terms of movies, I've sadly only liked Lady and the Tramp and Togo. I was majorly disappointed in Noelle and Timmy Failure.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Maybe that will premiere on Disney+ shortly before Frozen II appears on the service, similar to Lamp Life showing up a few weeks before Toy Story 4 added.
yeah, I thought maybe they decided to put it on the Blu-ray instead.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apparently, this high-quality project is moving forward. :P
We have learned that Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum (Ramona and Beezus) has signed on to direct the project. Rosenbaum has some notable television directing credits including Empire, Dead to Me, The Exorcist, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists, and Franklin & Bash.

We have also learned that pre-production on the project is underway, and will shoot in Canada later this year.

Here is a brief synopsis on Sneakerella: "A modern twist on Cinderella set in New York City’s sneaker culture… when a hip sneaker designer meets the daughter of a famous shoe empire, a little magical intervention makes sparks fly and a successful line of sneaker-wear history".
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/11/el ... la-disney/
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

This looks and sounds so ridiculously bad that I can't help but be incredibly interested in it
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Disney+ Original Movie Sneakerella Begins Production for a 2021 Debut
https://d23.com/disney-plus-original-mo ... roduction/
Set in the avant-garde street-sneaker subculture of New York City, Sneakerella introduces El (Jacobs), an aspiring sneaker designer from Queens who works as a stock boy in the shoe store that once belonged to his late mother. El hides his artistic talent from his overburdened stepfather and two mean-spirited stepbrothers who constantly stomp on any opportunity that comes his way. But when El meets Kira King (Underwood), the fiercely independent daughter of legendary basketball star and sneaker tycoon Darius King (Salley), sparks fly as the two bond over their mutual affinity for sneakers. With a little nudge from his best friend and a sprinkle of Fairy Godfather magic, El finds the courage to use his talent to pursue his dream of becoming a “legit” sneaker designer in the industry.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That synopsis sounds absolutely ridiculous! :lol: So, this is not only race-bend, but also a gender-bend adaptation. It's also musical, apparently. It's weird that this feels so much like a Disney Channel production, but it's being made by the studio division.
Now in production, the pop/hip-hop musical leaves a sneaker culture imprint on the "Cinderella" fairy tale. Jane Startz ("Ella Enchanted") and Rachel Watanabe-Batton ("I Pity the Fool") serve as executive producers, with co-executive producer Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum ("Ramona and Beezus") who will also direct the film.
Source: https://dtcimedia.disney.com/news/disne ... 2021-debut
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

The D23 article included a quote from the VP of Original Movies, Disney Channel. I think that was telling. This screams Disney Channel in every way