DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
 Post subject: Re: Toy Story 4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I was not much of a fan of Joker as a film, as I found its attempts to discuss mental health and classism to be shallow and basic, and agree with the Scorsese-light comparisons. I didn't even love Joaquin Phoenix as Fleck- there's a difference between the best acting, and the most. But I was in favor of the score. It fits and melds well with the film. It's the one win I was in favor of for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
At least he has a better win-to-lose ratio than his cousin. Thomas Newman is still Oscarless after losing his 15th nomination on Sunday.

There are so many times he would have been a deserving winner. He's just had the bad luck of going up against stiff competition. He definitely deserved it for Finding Nemo (but that was the year Return of the King swept), Wall-E (but Academy voters really responded to Slumdog Millionaire) and Saving Mr. Banks (when Gravity won almost all of the crafts categories, including best original score).

That he didn't win for American Beauty and Road to Perdition are probably the biggest shockers.

Wow, I didn't know Thomas Newman had lost so many times. I agree that he's also very talented. I especially like his score for Finding Nemo, but his works for Wall-E and the other films you've mentioned are also really good.

Disney Duster wrote:
The message of the film is not just feel bad for people with mental illnesses. It is that we should do more about it. We should take care of people with mental illnesses and really try to help. Even just being kinder to people whom you meet can help. And don't cut programs and medical care of course. And if we can afford it, give money. The film was not edgy for the sake of being edgy. It was alerting audiences to a problem that we should try to prevent. I won't go shooting anyone because that's not in my nature. But that's not the point. No one like Arthur Fleck should have to deal with what he had to before he went homicidal.

Exactly, that's the message I was referring to. I think it's a very important one and one that is perhaps especially needed right now. By the way, I'm sorry you have to deal with those problems. I have a friend who has the same illness and I know how hard it is. But you usually sound optimistic and are kind in your comments, which knowing that, has more merit.

farerb wrote:
I haven't seen Parasite so I can't comment on that. I saw people say it's good so I guess it is. Out of the Best Picture nominees that I did see I liked Little Women the best. TBH my favorite film out of 2019 is Knives Out, but it wasn't nominated, probably cause the Academy doesn't care for comedies.

I really liked Knives Out and Little Women too. Regarding Parasite, I recommend seeing it, but I'm not sure it's for everyone. It's a bit of a black comedy and has some violence (though not more than Joker). I usually don't like these types of movies, but I really liked the message of this one, as I said, and it's also very suspenseful and has some turns you don't see coming. Plus the cast does a really good job in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:31 pm 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
To me Joker is more about being "edgy" and shocking the audience, all that mental illness issues that were done in the film was there just to show that "life is bad" and that we should feel bad and not really handle it seriously so to me everything there just seems shallow. Nihilism for the sake of nihilism. I think it's time to understand that nihilism != realism.

I haven't seen Parasite so I can't comment on that. I saw people say it's good so I guess it is. Out of the Best Picture nominees that I did see I liked Little Women the best. TBH my favorite film out of 2019 is Knives Out, but it wasn't nominated, probably cause the Academy doesn't care for comedies.

It's more a black comedy than a straight-up comedy, which I believe Parasite has been described as as well, so it's a pity Knives Out wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

My fav films of the year were Knives Out, Marriage Story, and Little Women. Plan on watching Parasite soon and from all the rave reviews, I'm sure I'll love it.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 am 
Collector's Edition

How many lines does Mrs. Potato Head realy have in this ? :? It must be very few :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50