Toy Story 4

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by blackcauldron85 »

rodrigo_ca, it's not the same voice actors in all the TS films in Brazil (except for actors who died)? :(
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

rodrigo_ca wrote:I still need to read all your comments (which I love to do after seeing a Disney movie), but the worst part of it all and of the fact they're planning a spin-off are the new characters. I can get on board with something like Olaf, because at least you just know he's there to sell toys (and he WILL do it), but what was the point ofDucky and whatever his name is, for example? (I understand that Forky needed to be a stupid toy, so it gets a pass)
Ducky and Bunny were actually two of the more popular characters so far because everybody's been raving about how hilarious they are in the film. I was actually a bit lukewarm to them, but they did have some hilarious moments the plush run scenarios and the end credits scene in particular.
rodrigo_ca wrote:By the way, Bo looks even less than herself in motion! But such a badass! I LOVED her possum-mobile and the fact that she was back and her story. I really thought she would turn out to be a secret villain :lol:
Was it a possum or a skunk? Some people said it should have been RC but I think it would have been too coincidental if RC was at the carnival alongside Bo Peep. It's a pity though that we never see him after the opening.
rodrigo_ca wrote:I hope they don't get a best song nomination, though, because that was not very good (the score, on the other hand, such beautiful uses of known themes)
Yeah, I agree the new song at the end wasn't very memorable at all. Disney already has lots of great choices for new songs this year at the Oscars between Aladdin, The Lion King, and Frozen 2 so they don't need to waste a slot on Toy Story 4.
rodrigo_ca wrote:I also thought it was a nice touch that Woody went from throwing Buzz from the windowbehind the dresser to willingly giving his vocal box to Gaby Gabby. I liked her as well, and I was honestly happy for her when she found a child. Glad they didn't went with the "oh a secret villain" for much longer.
That is great progression for the character, especially since we saw in Toy Story 2 how he feared that Andy would no longer want him after his injured arm, so losing a voice box would have destroyed him back then. As for Gabby Gabby, I hope this means that Disney is veering away from twist villains.
Mooky wrote: I don't remember Mrs. Potato Head speaking either. She was just there lending her ear for the GPS scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9JS8-gnWQ
Around 0:43 of this trailer, Mrs. Potato Head has a line but that's the only one I remember. That might be one of the only ones for Mr. Potato Head too actually.
Mooky wrote: In Bonnie's first scene at the kindergarten, as she's entering the classroom, there's an interracial lesbian couple with their kid.
Next time I watch the film, I'll be sure to look out for that. I missed the supposed Boo references as well because a little girl who looks like her was spotted in the classroom and then again in the carnival.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I saw it last night; I thought it was a sweet film, but didn't really need to be made. Really really missed the other toys for sure, I think that's in the main where the film fell down for me.

It didn't give me the massive pang of emotions at all that most people seem to be feeling with it .. that was with the 3rd for me, when Andy gave them all away.

... though maybe then it's just me :lol:
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I just saw ‘Toy Story 4’ only yesterday but it got released later in France and I really loved it! This movie is a true emotional whirlwind and works so much better for me that ‘Toy Story 3’ (yes this 3rd movie has been really acclaimed but I still think it is a bit overrated). I would indisputably recommend this new sequel to any ‘Toy Story’ fan!

My personal ranking of the ‘Toy Story’ would be as follows:

1# Toy Story 2
2# Toy Story
3# Toy Story 4
4# Toy Story 3
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Atlantica wrote:I saw it last night; I thought it was a sweet film, but didn't really need to be made. Really really missed the other toys for sure, I think that's in the main where the film fell down for me.

It didn't give me the massive pang of emotions at all that most people seem to be feeling with it .. that was with the 3rd for me, when Andy gave them all away.

... though maybe then it's just me :lol:
Nope. I agree with you. I enjoyed the film, but it didn’t feel like a story that needed to be told.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Oh yeah, and special mentions to the new characters of Duke Kaboom! Gaby Gaby! And for the major upgrade made on Bo Peep :o :up: !
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Clindor wrote:And for the major upgrade made on Bo Peep :o :up: !
Unfortunately, there are some people who think this is yet another case of presenting women as smart and hypercompetent, and at the same time, the men as stupid and INcompetent.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
Clindor wrote:And for the major upgrade made on Bo Peep :o :up: !
Unfortunately, there are some people who think this is yet another case of presenting women as smart and hypercompetent, and at the same time, the men as stupid and INcompetent.
Yet in the case of this movie, I don’t see how this new version of Bo Peep would make Woody sounds stupid or incompetent: these two characters just don’t value the same things. There’s no way to be wrong or right, it’s just a matter of perspective.
Last edited by Clindor on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Why was Patricia Arquette announced as part of the Toy Story 4 cast in 2015 already when she has such a small role ? It's really strange !
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

I saw it. I predicted the ending, but it was worth it. It's better that Pixar stuck to their guns that go all Game of Thrones finale. I also liked it more than Toy Story 3.

Someone mentioned that this wasn't necessarily a story to be told, but I expected this to happen in my gut. I expected that Bonnie would grow out of being attached to Woody as she seems more flighty and unpredictable in comparison to Andy, which would give him leverage to leave Bonnie for Bo Peep. Though Toy Story 3 establishes that there's life beyond Andy, you couldn't help seeing that Woody was intuitively different from the rest of the toys- that he constantly urges to be a father-figure. In the end, it was always Woody's unique identity that pushed the story. There's also the fact that Woody is an outdated toy. He's not going to be passed down from owner to owner at the same rate as Buzz. It was interesting for the fourth movie to explore these issues with Woody's identity.

I also like this one more than the third movie because it was more cinematically appealing to my taste. It's not visually or thematically appealing to see toddlers destroy and torture toys. Destructive toddlers will eventually become a cliche. It became one for me because I'm surrounded by kids. :lol: BTW, being mutilated by Sid is far worse than a toddler's boogers.
This film instead showed how intuitive children are with toys. I loved how Bonnie made Jessie the "girl" sheriff. I loved how Bo Peep is reintroduced when a girl pretends that Woody and Bo are falling in love/getting married when she finds them in the sandbox. I like these moments because they were eventually more emotionally poignant and thematically relevant to the characters. Though Woody and Bo Peep are put into "love situations" by children, they as sentient characters deconstruct damsel-in-distress while still loving each other.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Next up, Toy Story 5. The toys go searching for Andy in college. :lol:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I saw it last night (was on vacation so I'm a bit late). It was really good. I appreciated that they limited the number the characters to give screen time to in order to give us more one on one time with others. Though I am disappointed in how little Mr and Mrs potato head had to do/say. I know they had to use old recordings for him but we didn't get one wise crack or insult which you kinda need for it to not feel off.

I could have done without the key and peel characters, not that I hated them I just didnt feel they added more than say giving that time to other sidelined characters to balance things out.

One thing that was brought to my attention though is how the theme of this movie kinda goes against the other movies. My fav line from ts2 hands down was buzz's speech "someone once taught me that life's only worth living if you're being loved by a kid, and I traveled all this way to rescue that toy, becuase I believed him."

That has always been woody's mantra, even if he lost sight of that for a short bit. so to see him be ok with being a lost toy is strange.

One last thing, the lighting in this movie is a huge leap forward holy crap. I've never been this impressed with lighting in a movie before.
blackcauldron85

Kyle wrote:...That has always been woody's mantra, even if he lost sight of that for a short bit. so to see him be ok with being a lost toy is strange.
But Woody wasn't really being loved by Bonnie, was he? :(
Sicoe Glad wrote:Next up, Toy Story 5. The toys go searching for Andy in college. :lol:
I want this so much!!!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

His loyalty is what made him endearing all these years though.

"he'll be there for you, no matter what." Kids go through phases all the time, often circling back too. I know I did as a kid. It just seemed out of character for a him a bit.
blackcauldron85

^ That's true. I don't blame Woody for feeling like he felt, though...to go from favorite, to new favorite, to closet just sucks! At this rate, I'm worried about Jessie when/if Bonnie pulls an Emily...
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ That's true. I don't blame Woody for feeling like he felt, though...to go from favorite, to new favorite, to closet just sucks! At this rate, I'm worried about Jessie when/if Bonnie pulls an Emily...
The real tragedy is that one day, most toys who have developed their own relationships will be separated. Unless they're meant to be a pair like Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, or explicitly and purposely kept together, couples like Buzz and Jessie will have to part ways... All if their human decides so. :/
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I just saw the film, and it was great. After the third one, it's nice that this one was far less dark (but no less emotional) in content. Also, is it just me or did they (at least partially) base Gabby Gabby off of Talky Tina from that one episode of "The Twilight Zone"?

Also, am I the only one who noticed how, when Bunny and Ducky were arguing with one another about which of them should be claimed by a kid first (or something like that), it seemed reminiscent of another certain rabbit got into a similar kind of argument with another certain duck over what season it was?
blackcauldron85

Forky doll recall (the article is pretty funny)-
https://amp.cinemablend.com/news/247622 ... orky-dolls

BDF, I didn't even think of Bugs and Daffy, but I wonder if they were any inspiration for Bunny and Ducky!
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Forky doll recall (the article is pretty funny)-
https://amp.cinemablend.com/news/247622 ... orky-dolls

BDF, I didn't even think of Bugs and Daffy, but I wonder if they were any inspiration for Bunny and Ducky!
It's possible. The appearance of Bunny and Ducky did get me thinking about Bugs and Daffy.
blackcauldron85

:roll: Parents slam Disney for selling a £13 toy Forky from the latest Toy Story flick, claiming it would be cheaper to make it yourself
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/94992 ... rself/amp/