Toy Story 4

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Toy Story 4

Post by Avaitor »

I was not much of a fan of Joker as a film, as I found its attempts to discuss mental health and classism to be shallow and basic, and agree with the Scorsese-light comparisons. I didn't even love Joaquin Phoenix as Fleck- there's a difference between the best acting, and the most. But I was in favor of the score. It fits and melds well with the film. It's the one win I was in favor of for it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:At least he has a better win-to-lose ratio than his cousin. Thomas Newman is still Oscarless after losing his 15th nomination on Sunday.

There are so many times he would have been a deserving winner. He's just had the bad luck of going up against stiff competition. He definitely deserved it for Finding Nemo (but that was the year Return of the King swept), Wall-E (but Academy voters really responded to Slumdog Millionaire) and Saving Mr. Banks (when Gravity won almost all of the crafts categories, including best original score).

That he didn't win for American Beauty and Road to Perdition are probably the biggest shockers.
Wow, I didn't know Thomas Newman had lost so many times. I agree that he's also very talented. I especially like his score for Finding Nemo, but his works for Wall-E and the other films you've mentioned are also really good.
Disney Duster wrote:The message of the film is not just feel bad for people with mental illnesses. It is that we should do more about it. We should take care of people with mental illnesses and really try to help. Even just being kinder to people whom you meet can help. And don't cut programs and medical care of course. And if we can afford it, give money. The film was not edgy for the sake of being edgy. It was alerting audiences to a problem that we should try to prevent. I won't go shooting anyone because that's not in my nature. But that's not the point. No one like Arthur Fleck should have to deal with what he had to before he went homicidal.
Exactly, that's the message I was referring to. I think it's a very important one and one that is perhaps especially needed right now. By the way, I'm sorry you have to deal with those problems. I have a friend who has the same illness and I know how hard it is. But you usually sound optimistic and are kind in your comments, which knowing that, has more merit.
farerb wrote:I haven't seen Parasite so I can't comment on that. I saw people say it's good so I guess it is. Out of the Best Picture nominees that I did see I liked Little Women the best. TBH my favorite film out of 2019 is Knives Out, but it wasn't nominated, probably cause the Academy doesn't care for comedies.
I really liked Knives Out and Little Women too. Regarding Parasite, I recommend seeing it, but I'm not sure it's for everyone. It's a bit of a black comedy and has some violence (though not more than Joker). I usually don't like these types of movies, but I really liked the message of this one, as I said, and it's also very suspenseful and has some turns you don't see coming. Plus the cast does a really good job in my opinion.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:To me Joker is more about being "edgy" and shocking the audience, all that mental illness issues that were done in the film was there just to show that "life is bad" and that we should feel bad and not really handle it seriously so to me everything there just seems shallow. Nihilism for the sake of nihilism. I think it's time to understand that nihilism != realism.

I haven't seen Parasite so I can't comment on that. I saw people say it's good so I guess it is. Out of the Best Picture nominees that I did see I liked Little Women the best. TBH my favorite film out of 2019 is Knives Out, but it wasn't nominated, probably cause the Academy doesn't care for comedies.
It's more a black comedy than a straight-up comedy, which I believe Parasite has been described as as well, so it's a pity Knives Out wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

My fav films of the year were Knives Out, Marriage Story, and Little Women. Plan on watching Parasite soon and from all the rave reviews, I'm sure I'll love it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

How many lines does Mrs. Potato Head realy have in this ? :? It must be very few :(
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Walt Disney Company Faces Lawsuit Over Duke Caboom’s Likeness to Evel Knievel in “Toy Story 4”
https://wdwnt.com/2020/09/the-walt-disn ... l-knievel/
for many believe that Caboom’s character was created as a parody of Evel Knievel.
Um, aren't parodies legal? Like SNL doesn't need Disney's permission to make Dwayne Johnson into Bambi or do the SOTS dubbed-over skit, ya know?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Evel Knievel Son’s Lawsuit Over ‘Toy Story 4’ Stuntman Character Dismissed
https://www.thewrap.com/even-knievel-so ... dismissed/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

TS4 is airing tonight on ABC! I can finally watch it. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

I was disappointed in this. It's definitely the weakest of the four. I didn't expect it to be better than 3 anyway, but I expected something on line with the first two films... There was something about it that felt decidedly unlike Toy Story. I think it's because Woody was mostly on his own in this film, separated from the other toys; a lot of the fun comes from Rex, Ham, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, etc. and this didn't have that. I did like Forky although the ending with him getting a female counterpart made me roll my eyes. And I enjoyed the return of Bo Peep even if it didn't feel like enough to sustain the movie, imo. While the plushes (the duck and bunny) were funny, I almost wonder if they were a little too beneath Toy Story, as far as the whole deep voice / cute design combo and the physical comedy. It's like something you'd see in the more cheap animated movies.

Not quite sure what to say... I didn't hate it, and I still feel like TS is the kind of franchise that could go on forever a la Winnie the Pooh, but they definitely need to do something much better with TS5. All in all, this felt very inconsequential despite the ending of Woody leaving the others being a big change on paper. Anyway--hopefully Onward will appear on ABC, Freeform or the Disney Channel soon, too. I know it'll be a long while before Soul or Luca do.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was disappointed in this. It's definitely the weakest of the four. I didn't expect it to be better than 3 anyway, but I expected something on line with the first two films... There was something about it that felt decidedly unlike Toy Story. I think it's because Woody was mostly on his own in this film, separated from the other toys; a lot of the fun comes from Rex, Ham, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, etc. and this didn't have that. I did like Forky although the ending with him getting a female counterpart made me roll my eyes. And I enjoyed the return of Bo Peep even if it didn't feel like enough to sustain the movie, imo. While the plushes (the duck and bunny) were funny, I almost wonder if they were a little too beneath Toy Story, as far as the whole deep voice / cute design combo and the physical comedy. It's like something you'd see in the more cheap animated movies.

Not quite sure what to say... I didn't hate it, and I still feel like TS is the kind of franchise that could go on forever a la Winnie the Pooh, but they definitely need to do something much better with TS5. All in all, this felt very inconsequential despite the ending of Woody leaving the others being a big change on paper. Anyway--hopefully Onward will appear on ABC, Freeform or the Disney Channel soon, too. I know it'll be a long while before Soul or Luca do.
If I may ask, what are your thoughts on all of the other Pixar sequels and not just the ones that were released during their “sequel Era” but all of them in total, including the unofficial planes: fire and rescue? :-)
Disney's Divinity

I haven't seen any of the Cars sequels or Planes stuff. Not because I haven't had the opportunity, I just didn't like Cars and can never force myself to watch the other ones.

I love Toy Story 2 and 3 (I thought every TS topped the prior one until 4).

I enjoy Finding Dory more than Finding Nemo, if I'm being honest. Dory was the only thing I really liked about the first film and I always found Marlin's voice acting to be annoying. I didn't like Nemo (the character) much either. The sequel is more Dory, less Marlin and Nemo, and then it adds Hank on top, who I enjoy even more than Dory.

Incredibles 2, much like TS4, was disappointing and likewise felt inconsequential. I didn't hate it, but I would've much preferred a time jump to when Violet is in college and Dash in high school, for example. I still would be open to a sequel like that despite Incredibles 2.

Monsters University was horrible. I mean, so bad, especially in comparison to the first film, which is one of the few PIXAR films I like. I think I'd have only wanted a sequel that reunited Boo and Sully again. If not, why bother?

Toy Story can keep going on forever, imo. I think they should re-cast Mr. Potato Head because all the characters will likely be re-cast someday, I imagine. I think they could do something similar with Inside Out that they did with the Toy Story trilogy. I wouldn't mind a third Finding... film to round that series out as a trilogy (Finding Hank or Finding Marlin? Marlin would make more sense as a focus for a final sequel to callback to the first film, but Hank is the character I'm more interested in...). I still would be open to a sequel to The Incredibles that flashed forward several years despite Incredibles 2 having been underwhelming. Of their other films, I can really only picture a sequel happening for Coco.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Wins Lawsuit Over Duke Caboom’s Likeness to Evel Knievel
https://wdwnt.com/?p=762878
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think they should re-cast Mr. Potato Head because all the characters will likely be re-cast someday, I imagine.
I dunno, I don't think the main stars are easily replaced. I would have been fine with casting Jerry Stiller as a replacement for rickles, but he's gone now too.
So in both of their absence, I say just use respeecher to make it sound like rickles. This is the same tech they used to de age Hamil and James Earl Jones' voice in their recent appearances in those Disney plus shows. And it works almost flawlessly. They've been getting better at emoting since they did Luke (which while sounded spot on like young hammil, did sound a bit...unenthusiastic acting wise, as if he was just reading from a script)

I think this tech could be the future of keeping characters sounding like themselves post their original actor playing them. maybe you could start with a sound alike that gets 70 to 80% of the way there, then layer on respeecher to get them the rest of the way.

I think we have the ability, now its more of a matter of getting permission from their family's estate. We have not yet used this to bring dead actors back, so there's likely going to be other technicalities involved to get the right permissions.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I don't know, do we REALLY just can't let go of characters that we can't let people rest in peace? Toy Story has been going on for 25 years now, with nothing of value being added to the franchise for the past 12 years. That can be said for pretty much every other time Disney tries to keep a franchise going on and on and on.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

rodrigo_ca wrote:I don't know, do we REALLY just can't let go of characters that we can't let people rest in peace? Toy Story has been going on for 25 years now, with nothing of value being added to the franchise for the past 12 years. That can be said for pretty much every other time Disney tries to keep a franchise going on and on and on.
As a hard-core toy story and Pixar fan [TS2 is my favourite movie of all time! :-) I can truly say that TS4 And the Toy story Toons definitely add a lot of value onto the franchise, even more so than TS3, Despite what most people may think. They just feel way more toy story, more capturing the feeling of what the first two are/what toy story truly is, Just way better job with executing their stories morals and again just overall feeling like Toy story. TS3 just kind of feels very incompetently Made, feeling kind of rushed and a little Too fast paced, like it’s the shortest out of all the movies Even though it’s actually the longest. Lee Unkrich Even says on the commentary during the scene where the chatter telephone is explaining the security system at Sunnyside, that they deliberately had it feel like you’re in a different movie, And just that with other things like the characters looking way too cartoony like they’re not even toys anymore, and having a very weak Exposition towards Lot so’s backstory, that unlike Jessie’s song And even duke caboom‘s backstory just feels like there’s something missing in the buildup towards the nonetheless gut wrenching point where He snaps and they Head out on their own away from Daisy, Which makes it seem like lot so never truly liked Daisy.

Don’t get me wrong, I still Overall love TS3, But I just feel That is the weakest out of all The toy story movies [excluding light year] and just Doesn’t have the same overall feeling that the first 2, 4 and the toons have