The Wonderful World of Disney Signature Movie Edition

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

The Wonderful World of Disney Signature Movie Edition

Post by chadhobbick »

I looked but couldn't find another thread about this.

The other day I saw an ad on tv, I think TVLand, for Disney family classics released in what looked to be the WDT-style. They came in a blue tin and were releases like Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, Follow Me Boys, Old Yeller, and other classic Disney family movies. They came w/reproductions of art, movie stills, or other things along those lines from the movies. It said you could only get these through this tv release, and it was a legit release for all intents and purposes.

Has anybody else seen these ads?
Last edited by chadhobbick on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
disneyrecordfan

As seen on TV Disney DVDs - aka Disney Signature Collection

Post by disneyrecordfan »

I saw this ad last night on Retro TV. It was very interesting - used a lot of clips of Walt.

Even more interesting was the fact that the Swiss Family Robinson release appears to come in a tin that look just like the Treasures set. It also comes with a booklet on the making of the movie, another booklet on the history of the Sunday night anthology series, two commemorative pins and a certificate of authenticity.

Strangely, there was just a toll-free number and no website. I'm curious if Disney is launching a whole new series aimed at boomers to sell that way? If so, I'm for it.

I am curious, though, why many of the clips showed theatrical releases when all of the nostalgia and narration focused on watching the Sunday night show. If that's to help tie in the nostalgia to selling the DVDs, I guess that's ok. I wondered, though, if there will be actual Sunday night episodes offered and not just theatrical releases that may have aired on the show later.

Even though, the tins are so nice - again, look identical to the Treasures sets - and the booklets and pins - all are enough to entice me as a fan of that movie to get it even though I have the Vault Disney set.

I also wonder if these versions will be offered through the DMC?

Everyone should keep an eye out on TVLand, Retro or other classic stations to see these ads. They're about 2 minutes in length and pretty impressive. Haven't seen them on Hallmark or Hallmark Movie Channel, though, and you would think that would be a good spot with as many classic Disney films as they show.

Anyway, I'm at least the second to have seen these this past weekend and thought it interesting, and unusual, since I've not heard any kind of discussion anywhere else.

Last - I think they called it "The Disney Signature Collection"
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

If they release the original Parent Trap this way, all for it! Sounds like a cool thing, hope its something we can all get.

I already own the Vault Disney of Pollyanna and Swiss Family.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
disneyrecordfan

Ordered my first title tonight and learned more details

I called the toll-free number and ordered the first title, Swiss Family Robinson. The lady was very helpful and said the tins are like the Treasures tins.

Each set also comes with a poster reproduction, small card size, the same as the ones that Anchor Bay was including in its releases early in the decade, i.e., The Happiest Millionaire.

Interestingly, when I asked if she knew what the other titles would be - the commercial briefly shows five or six sets whizzing by - she called it the "First Wave," similar to the language used for the Treasures! The titles after Swiss Family Robinson - every 4-6 weeks - in the First Wave include Follow Me Boys, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Boatniks, and Big Red. She said each will include its own poster, making of booklet, certificate, etc., but just Swiss Family will include the two commemorative pins with the launch of the first wave.

The titles will be $19.95 plus shipping and handling, but the first title is $4.95 plus $4 shipping.

I asked if there will be more titles if the "first wave" is successful, and she said that's the plan, including some of movies that fans are asking about such as some of the Annette films or Sammy the Way-out Seal, etc.

So, perhaps the "first wave" will bankroll some releases that we haven't seen on the DMC. Curiously, this deluxe approach would have been a nice perk/feature as the DMC exclusives instead of the bare-bones titles (though I'm grateful to have them).

And even though I own these already, I'm sure they're counting on some repeat business since the tins look just like the Treasures, and there's some items not in the regular release DVDs.

What was most telling is that the operator said she's had orders from people who saw the commercial and who said that they didn't know these titles were available on DVD! That goes to show what many of us fans of the classic films have long thought - there has been zero marketing, aside from Mary Poppins and the animated films, over the last 10 years devoted to any of the classic films. In the 1990s, I can at least remember seeing TV commercials for Old Yeller, etc., but those days are long gone.

At least with this commercial aimed at TVLand and those kinds of channels, perhaps Disney can tap into another overlooked vein with some of the boomer generation?

It also makes me wonder does this approach signal a change in how they market these titles, i.e., will the standard releases someday disappear from Best Buy and you can only get them this way? Many stores are reducing shelf space, and I haven't seen "Swiss" at Wal-mart or Target in some time. But then again, the Vault Disney release was 9 years ago!
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Oh wow, that's cool! I wonder if Disney's gonna offer 16:9 remasters or if they're just reducing their stock by using some of the crappy discs they released 6-7 years ago.

And The Boatniks was one of the titles in the first wave?!? That's just...that's just...

:jawdrop:

I hope someone posts this commercial up on youtube or something, or that a website is made. I certainly wouldn't mind Swiss Family Robinson with some extra swag and gubbins to complement the already-fine two-disc DVD. :D

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Hey could someone happens to see the phone Number on the commerical...please post it here....that way I don't have to channel hop or just keep TV land on constantly..... :roll:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyrecordfan

Phone number from commercial

It's 1-800-460-8542. The operator answered on the first ring! :O)

I have the commercial saved on my TIVO, just because I couldn't believe that they actually used several clips of Walt throughout, including one from the episode where he introduced Mary Blair's Small World dolls, and then several clips from the Backstage episode during the production of Babes in Toyland.

The commercial also shows a clip from Darby O'Gill - so I assume that one will be a title, and a clip from a production I did not immediately recognized but fleetingly looked like The Wild Country or one with Vera Miles and a young boy.

Perhaps I can get a few screen captures from my TIVO paused. This commercial was recorded from the Retro TV station during an episode of Jack Benny.
disneyrecordfan

Received my new Treasures-like WWOD Signature Movie Edition

Last week I wrote that I, too, had seen a TV commercial for the new Wonderful World of Disney Signature Movie Edition DVD set, available only by calling a toll-free number. The first title was SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, which I like very much, so I ordered it.

The package came today from Wisconsin, very much like ordering from the Disney Movie Club.

Inside was my first DVD in the line-up. It looks like the popular Treasures sets, with a couple of differences - instead of silver, they're a darker blue, and unlike the Treasures tin, the top lid is hinged at the left side:

http://picasaweb.google.com/artisanherb ... 4824528882

With the order came a very nice 16-page booklet about the history of the Disney weekly anthology series from start to finish, 1954 to 2009. The 2010 entry notes the launch of this new DVD line. The text even mentions that Michael Eisner was the host of later 1980s versions! There's a timeline of the show printed throughout with artwork from the different incarnations, including Davy Crockett, Ludwig Von Drake, etc. Here's a link to the booklet I cover I scanned:

http://picasaweb.google.com/artisanherb ... 9778639490

The last part of the booklet contains descriptions about the subscription to this new series. It's similar to the DMC, except there's no minimum number of titles to order. At this point, you also don't choose a title; Disney send a new one every 4-6 weeks. You can also return or cancel at any time. This division of the WDC is listed as the Buena Vista Catalogue Co. There's also text that there may be offers or codes offered at some point - Movie Rewards Points, maybe?

Inside, there was a card stock reproduction of SWISS FAMILY's movie poster, just like was included on Anchor Bay's DVD Disney titles early in the last decade. There was also a certificate of authenticity.

The movie's two discs are in a cardboard blue folder/booklet with a nice embossed image of Sleeping Beauty's Castle on the cover. The first disc is inside the front page portion; the second disc is at the back. In between are five pages of text and photos about the movie, quotes from James MacArthur and director Ken Annakin, a page of trivia about the film, and then the contents list. Here's a scan of the front cover:

http://picasaweb.google.com/artisanherb ... 7136980578

It turns out that both discs are actually Vault Disney holdovers, identical to my earlier set in both labels and contents. If you already own the movie, that might be a turn-off unless you like the Treasures-style tin, the booklet, the movie card, etc. It would have been nice had the Vault Disney series of this title, POLLYANNA, PARENT TRAP and OLD YELLER followed this style to begin with. (The TV commercial, though, shows that at least some of the future discs appear to have their own Signature Edition labels printed on them, so maybe they all won't be recycled like this one was).

Your first title with the subscription also comes with two pins, one of Tinkerbell and the Wonderful World of Disney logo over Sleeping Beauty's Castle, the second of the title superimposed over a television set with an outline of Mickey Mouse's head.

The TV commercials - and my operator when I ordered last week -noted that future titles will include FOLLOW ME BOYS, BIG RED, DARBY O'GILL, THE BOATNIKS and THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG as part of the "first wave."

The booklet also references THE PARENT TRAP, ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR, and OLD YELLER, so I would expect to see those, too.

The bigger questions for me are:

1) Will they reissue the other three Vault Disney titles this way using the previously released discs?

2) For those titles that did not have a Vault Disney release, will those be single release discs or will they be two discs with new content or carry-overs from their previous versions?

3) For previously released DVDs without bonus features such as BIG RED or ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR, could there be new content for those? I'm at least especially curious what they'll say about THE BOATNIKS in its booklet since most fans probably agree that the other titles are better remembered as classics.

Larger question for me, then, is will these lead to a Treasures-style "second wave"? The operator seemed to think that if they're successful, there would be more, perhaps with some of the TV movies like "Horsemasters" or "Sammy the Way-out Seal." I hope so. The booklet on the show makes a big deal in the text that the TV series in the 1970s showed many of the theatrical films. True, but there were more original episodes created than than were theatrical films shown in 2-parts, so I hope they'll start including some original WWOD TV episodes at some point.

I'm curious to see if they promote these in a broader way other than the few TV commercials I've seen; will they become part of the DMC at some point, or are DMC exclusive-style titles being offered beyond the club, especially since there's no minimum number to buy with this subscription? Will they ever be offered via web? Is this a trial run to see how these will sale?

So, I like the packaging, especially the Treasures-style tin. Disappointed a little in that I got nothing new from the movie DVDs themselves since they're reissues of the Vault Disney version.

I will like the series more if we get some releases that we've never had before, or if there's some new content created for this new line of DVDs, The Wonderful World of Disney Signature Movie Edition.

I'll be very curious as to what you think or hear about this new line of DVDs. I guess I'm one of the first to get one! :)
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

darn it, I'd do this, but I'd just want Parent Trap original.

It sounds pretty neat, though, for those who don't own the movies yet.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

If you don't want a specific title, can you decline it before it ships (like the Disney Movie Club), or do you have to receive it and then return it and wait for a refund?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Let's hope for the non-vault Disney re-releases that we hear whether or not we're gonna get a correct ratio/proper transfer. What concerns me about this whole thing is why we're only hearing about it via tv ads. Wouldn't Disney have a whole webpage dedicated to this or something? I also wish we knew more about the contents of the discs so we know what we're getting. I just hate not knowing very much at all about this and hard finding out info about the whole program!
pvdfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pvdfan »

This sounds like the Time Life series for books in the past.

However, the case looks nice.
disneyrecordfan

return policy

According to the booklet that has the membership/subscription policy, you can't choose in advance. If you get a title that you don't want, you can cancel and return. I think that is similar to like how the Time-Life system works.

Since it's new, I predict that they'll eventually let you choose or decline. That works well for the DMC. Or at least I hope they allow that option; I think more people would be interested.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

You say it costs $19.95 for each title? Is there a fee to get a subscription to all of this or is it free to join? And if I do join, do I have to pay to get Swiss Family Robinson?

This sounds really cool, but I'm not all for the idea of double-dipping on movies for $20 where all I get besides the features I already have are some admittingly cool-sounding collectibles? I'd definitely order some of the owns I don't already have, though.
disneyrecordfan

More details on the new line

The Swiss Family Robinson title was $4.95 + $4 shipping as the introductory title. If you were to order a month or so from now when the unnamed second title comes out, I'm not sure if you would start with Swiss Family or whatever the second title might be as your first one.

There's no subscription fee, so it's free to join. The downside is as you've noted - if you already own the films, you would be double-dipping, since at this point, it's a Time-Life or Columbia House-type arrangement where they automatically send you a new title every 4-6 weeks.

Because they haven't marketed this more heavily, though, I have a feeling that they could tweak or change it. The commercial noted that the offers were subject to change, etc., so I hope they make it more like the DMC where you can choose or decline a title.

My guess is that they're marketing the films to casual fans of the classic era who otherwise don't follow releases as closely as we do. That may sound like a surprise to most of us on this forum since we collect Disney DVDs, but you would be surprised at the number of friends I've had visit through the years who will see a film on my shelf such as "Toby Tyler" or "Summer Magic," and they'll say something like, "Oh! I didn't know THAT was out on DVD!" And they could have had it from BestBuy or Amazon or wherever very easily.

Disney's done very little advertising - if any - for the classic live-action titles when they've been released to DVD, so maybe this new line is truly targeted to finding new audiences to sell these. If it sells DVDs to new fans, I'm for that.

When I ordered, the operator did say that if the line is successful, future waves might include some films we've not had yet on DVD, so who knows...
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

The_Iceflash wrote:Let's hope for the non-vault Disney re-releases that we hear whether or not we're gonna get a correct ratio/proper transfer
Definitely agreed there, otherwise what's the point? They have several titles, Darby O'Gill..., The Absent-Minded Professor, Freaky Friday, etc, that need re-releases in their correct theatrical ratios that they should be able to get right, but never have.

As far as the packaging, I confess I've never been a fan of the tins. They are much larger than regular DVD/ blue-ray cases with no titles on the spine. Sure, you can take the amaray cases out of them, but then, like slipcovers, which I wish they would stop the practice of, I would consider the tin as part of the whole package and wouldn't want to separate.

I wish they would release these instead in the far superior, IMO, steelbook cases. They're sturdier and definitely look better.

As far as how they're releasing these, I don't care for the automatic shipping, and would prefer a website, ala Warner Archive, to purchase titles. Anyway, just my opinion...
You don't make the film fill your TV, be it 4:3 or 16:9, you make your TV fit the original ratio of the film. If that means a letterboxing or pillarboxing of a film, so be it.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Is there a website to go and order this? I'd like to read more about it. I saw a commercial, but, I'd really like to see a website.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Ok, why are they re-releasing films that they have already re-leased when there are so many great films that have never seen the light of day on DVD? For films that never got the correct aspect ratio, that is one thing and I hope they fix that issue, but other then that, I don't get it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: More details on the new line

Post by Avaitor »

disneyrecordfan wrote:The Swiss Family Robinson title was $4.95 + $4 shipping as the introductory title. If you were to order a month or so from now when the unnamed second title comes out, I'm not sure if you would start with Swiss Family or whatever the second title might be as your first one.

There's no subscription fee, so it's free to join. The downside is as you've noted - if you already own the films, you would be double-dipping, since at this point, it's a Time-Life or Columbia House-type arrangement where they automatically send you a new title every 4-6 weeks.

Because they haven't marketed this more heavily, though, I have a feeling that they could tweak or change it. The commercial noted that the offers were subject to change, etc., so I hope they make it more like the DMC where you can choose or decline a title.

My guess is that they're marketing the films to casual fans of the classic era who otherwise don't follow releases as closely as we do. That may sound like a surprise to most of us on this forum since we collect Disney DVDs, but you would be surprised at the number of friends I've had visit through the years who will see a film on my shelf such as "Toby Tyler" or "Summer Magic," and they'll say something like, "Oh! I didn't know THAT was out on DVD!" And they could have had it from BestBuy or Amazon or wherever very easily.

Disney's done very little advertising - if any - for the classic live-action titles when they've been released to DVD, so maybe this new line is truly targeted to finding new audiences to sell these. If it sells DVDs to new fans, I'm for that.

When I ordered, the operator did say that if the line is successful, future waves might include some films we've not had yet on DVD, so who knows...
Thanks. I think I'll call up one of the marketers later this week to see if what we aren't so sure about can be answered. I do want to support Disney's classic live-action movies but I want to know what I'm getting into before I become a part of this.
disneyrecordfan

more info

The info that came with my order lists a toll-free customer service line to talk to cast members: 1-888-282-5880. They might be more helpful than an operator who is just trained to take orders. There's no website that I can find, just the toll-free number and the mailing address in Wisconsin (I think it's the same as the DMC).

Regarding a few of the other preceding post questions/comments, these tins do differ a little with the Treasures sets; the name of the series and the name of the movie is printed on the left side, something that would have been helpful whenever you stack or stand the Treasures sets on a shelf. (I always have to dig or rearrange to find one I'm looking for). The lid is also hinged to the bottom part of the tin at the left side, too. That's a change.

I do agree with a couple of the other comments: a website would be great to choose titles from, and it's a shame that Disney can't lead its competitors. By that, I mean the Warners Archive site is perfect for cherry-picking older or non-commercially viable titles. I'd love to see Disney put every one of its TV episodes on such a site where you could just go through and order like you can on the Warners Archive site.

I also agree that Disney has frustrated many of us for years by re-releasing some titles onto DVD 2 or 3 times, while we wait in vain for other titles to see a first release. This is true of the anthology series, especially some of the titles that Merlin Jones has written about elsewhere on the site. Why, for example, can we have HANS BRINKER but not THE HORSEMASTERS, and so on.