Disney Afternoon Discussion Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Afternoon Discussion Thread

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I would have loved to have seen a show starring Clarabelle and Horace, both who deserve far more love than they get. Although it's odd that Baloo would be the star of a show meant to showcase the B-Listers.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:
- Jim Cummings worked on all of the original Disney Afternoon shows.
Yes and no. Stickily speaking about the shows that only aired on the TV block known as "The Disney Afternoon," yes Jim was a voice on every one of those shows. However, if we open it up to the full era and include Walt Disney TV Animation that wasn't on the block (I refer to all of it as "The Disney Afternoon era), Jim wasn't a voice on The Wuzzles. Sill, just with WDTVA alone, Jim Cummings had a heck of a career, and one that isn't over yet!

As for B-Players, Jymn Magon loves to talk about that show. I strongly get the feeling part of him wishes that Disney had made it anyway. Another show that almost was but then wasn't was Justice Ducks, which would have been a sort of spin-off of Darkwing Duck. I kind of wish that show had happened. Of course there were a few Gargoyles spin-offs that never happened. One that I would have loved to have been made that wasn't was based on a Hamster called Hamster Hamlet.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Judging by this image from the panel, I guess they were only talking about the series that were strictly part of The Disney Afternoon TV block on this occasion. When I saw that photo, I wondered why The Little Mermaid and other shows that were part of my country's version of the Disney Afternoon weren't included. So I searched for The Disney Afternoon on Wikipedia and I learned what you just said, that not all the Disney animated series of those years aired on that block.

JeanGreyForever wrote:I would have loved to have seen a show starring Clarabelle and Horace, both who deserve far more love than they get. Although it's odd that Baloo would be the star of a show meant to showcase the B-Listers.
I also thought it was strange that Baloo was going to be the star of that show.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:^ Judging by this image from the panel, I guess they were only talking about the series that were strictly part of The Disney Afternoon TV block on this occasion. When I saw that photo, I wondered why The Little Mermaid and other shows that were part of my country's version of the Disney Afternoon weren't included. So I searched for The Disney Afternoon on Wikipedia and I learned what you just said, that not all the Disney animated series of those years aired on that block.
Disney goes back and forth between lumping ALL WDTVA shows from that time period together and just the ones that ran on the Disney Afternoon block officially. In the US, there were five WDTVA series made during the Disney Afternoon era (1985-1996) that were not part of the block. These shows were:

-The Wuzzles
-The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
-Raw Toonage
-The Little Mermaid: The Series
-Marsupilami

The block itself in the US ran from the Fall of 1990 to the Spring of 1997, and featured shows that were per-created before the block (like Gummi Bears and DuckTales) and series that were developed specifically for the block (like Darkwing Duck or Quack Pack). As these shows aired in syndication, there was a year between 1997 and 1998 that featured shows like Jungle Cubs and Hercules: The Animated Series, but the "Disney Afternoon" label wasn't in use at that point. Also, those latter shows ended up on the "One Saturday Morning" block on ABC's Saturday Mornings here in the US, which is why I lump those shows into the "One Saturday Morning era."

In my research of The Disney Afternoon however, I've found that the block, when it's even under that name, in other countries has been very different. As such, The Disney Afternoon label means different things for different people depending on where you come from. In the US, I'd say the first three, maybe four years are often thought of as the heart and soul of the block. As you move on to the latter years, many of those shows are not as beloved by most.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Thanks for all the info. In my case, the series of the first years are also my favorite ones. In fact, my top five would almost follow the order in which they aired.

Here are a pair of videos from people who attended the D23 event about The Disney Afternoon:

- D23’s Disney Afternoon on the lot: History, Ducktales News, RARE characters and more!
- Meeting Rare Characters - LaunchPad, Darkwing Duck (Jim Cummings) & Goofy (Bill Farmer)
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'm happy the D23 event went well. This is not the first time they have included Disney Afternoon elements to their events. For my part, I've tried to get DA themed stuff out there as well. I've hosted two very great DA themed panels at Stan Lee's LA Comic Con the last two years, a panel at Palm Springs Comic Con, a small event a few years ago at the Glendale Central Library and hope to be back at LA Comic Con again this year with something. Aaron Sparrow, the writer on the Darkwing Duck comics, has hosted DA themed panels at Long Beach and San Diego Comic Con. Lots of opportunities both officially and unofficially the last about seven years in the Southern California area for fans to have interactions with the fantastic talent behind the Disney Afternoon. I don't know what's going to happen going forward, but it's been a fun ride so far.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ I knew from your comments that you knew some of the voice actors from the shows, but I didn’t know you had hosted Disney Afternoon themed panels! That’s really cool! I suppose, this is one of the panels you have hosted, right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGKUvP88Ss

I actually found it the other day when I was searching for videos from the Disney event, and I watched it. It’s really good, I learned a lot of things. Though I’ve always been a fan of these series, I didn’t know much about their creators or the original voice talent, so it was really interesting for me to hear all these stories about the making of the shows.

I’ve also seen you also run a club for Disney Afternoon fans and that you’ve led a campaign to make Disney release all the unreleased DA episodes and shows. You do a great job helping to keep the best era of Disney Television Animation alive! I wish you luck with the next panels. I wish I could attend one someday, but right now it’s not very possible for me. US fans are very lucky! I also hope the campaign is successful and the unreleased shows are eventually released on DVD.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:^ I knew from your comments that you knew some of the voice actors from the shows, but I didn’t know you had hosted Disney Afternoon themed panels! That’s really cool! I suppose, this is one of the panels you have hosted, right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGKUvP88Ss

I actually found it the other day when I was searching for videos from the Disney event, and I watched it. It’s really good, I learned a lot of things. Though I’ve always been a fan of these series, I didn’t know much about their creators or the original voice talent, so it was really interesting for me to hear all these stories about the making of the shows.

I’ve also seen you also run a club for Disney Afternoon fans and that you’ve led a campaign to make Disney release all the unreleased DA episodes and shows. You do a great job helping to keep the best era of Disney Television Animation alive! I wish you luck with the next panels. I wish I could attend one someday, but right now it’s not very possible for me. US fans are very lucky! I also hope the campaign is successful and the unreleased shows are eventually released on DVD.
Thanks, that was my first panel. My favorite one was from last year celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Darkwing Duck. I can't say much for now, but it's my hope to comeback again this year. There was at least one panel I tried to put together this year that isn't going to happen, but we might get another one instead. I've also interviewed a number of voice actors, producers, writers, composers, and others who worked on these shows. Most of the people who were featured at the D23 event have been interviewed by me and I'm even friends with a few of them. I count myself very blessed for all of it.

As for the DVD stuff, there is so much I don't know if I can say from my experiences the last seven years, but I've dropped a few bits here and there in these boards over that same time period. We've had both success and failure. I will tell you this, the key to more Disney Afternoon DVD's is The Disney Movie Club and hundreds to thousands of fans consistently asking them for these titles. I personally feel Disney is really weird about it. Other studios have released lesser shows years ago, sometimes even more than once on DVD, and yet 12 years after Disney started releasing their headliner (DuckTales), we're still missing the final 25 episodes on DVD! It's crazy! There is no good reason for this past Disney has some wonky ideas on the matter. It should have been finished years ago honestly.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I don't understand why they don't release these series either. I don't know much about economics, but I guess the DVDs wouldn't be too expensive to make given that they don't have to produce anything; the series are already made. They could produce just a small amount of copies, to please the fans. But we know they don't care much about fans, since we aren't their main audience.

Anyway, I think Disney should've taken advantage of the release of the DuckTales reboot to release the original series. There's surely some interest in the show right now. And probably some of the other shows, like for example Darkwing Duck, would sell better now as well.

But we mustn't lose hope. We have to keep fighting, consistently asking them for these titles, as you said.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:I don't understand why they don't release these series either. I don't know much about economics, but I guess the DVDs wouldn't be too expensive to make given that they don't have to produce anything; the series are already made. They could produce just a small amount of copies, to please the fans. But we know they don't care much about fans, since we aren't their main audience.

Anyway, I think Disney should've taken advantage of the release of the DuckTales reboot to release the original series. There's surely some interest in the show right now. And probably some of the other shows, like for example Darkwing Duck, would sell better now as well.

But we mustn't lose hope. We have to keep fighting, consistently asking them for these titles, as you said.
An easy answer is Disney Home Entertainment doesn't value TV content the same way they value film. The interesting thing is for most of those shows, they have released what they have twice, first about a decade or so ago, and then a few years ago in a re-released slim version. Seems to me that would have been a great time to finish those collections.
Last edited by milojthatch on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

If that's the case, then they need to hire a new team who care about their TV content. Or just keep releasing highly requested TV titles through the Disney Movie Club or (until this feud is over) Amazon.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:If that's the case, then they need to hire a new team who care about their TV content. Or just keep releasing highly requested TV titles through the Disney Movie Club or (until this feud is over) Amazon.
Fully agreed. Disney Movie Club doesn't share their numbers, however from various sources I've learned that when they released TaleSpin Volume 3, Goof Troop Volumes 1 & 2 and Gargoyles Season 2, Volume 2 on DVD three years ago, they were some of their best selling, and fastest selling, exclusive titles ever! So then they moved all of those titles to general retail and they didn't hit the numbers they were expected to apparently and it just kind of died again. My question to them has been, if those four titles sold so well at that time, why haven't they included new TV Animation DVD's each year since as Disney Movie Club Exclusives?

Even if they just did two new titles a year, that's six new volumes we'd have right now that we don't. Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck could have been finished off by now with room to add something new like Bonkers or Recess even, getting into One Saturday Morning titles. I have publicly and privately brought this very question up. No answer. To me, it makes all the sense in the world.

Also FYI, New York Comic Con is going to have a new Scrooge McDuck Pop Funko exclusive. I'm never a fan of convention exclusives, but it's still worth noting here anyway.

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Hey Disney Afternerds, I have a request for each of you willing to help. September 18th this month will mark the 30th anniversary of DuckTales. To mark this occasion, we're asking fans to help us campaign for the rest of the show (the final 25 episodes) to come to DVD. It's really easy to do and won't take much time. Either that day or the weekend before it (September 15-18, 2017), simply visit the Disney Movie Club's official Facebook page and ask for the rest of the show on DVD. That's it! Well, and maybe share this with other fans if you can and on social media use the hash tag: #DuckTales30. If we can find enough of a mass to do this at once, we feel we have a real chance to make this happen as it has happened for us before with TaleSpin. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyMovieClub

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

milojthatch wrote:The interesting thing is for most of those shows, they have released what they have twice, first about a decade or so ago, and then a few years ago in a re-released slim version. Seems to me that would have been a great time to finish those collections.
I didn't know they had released the same twice for most of the shows. What a wasted opportunity to add the missing episodes. It seems just laziness on their part.

milojthatch wrote:Hey Disney Afternerds, I have a request for each of you willing to help. September 18th this month will mark the 30th anniversary of DuckTales. To mark this occasion, we're asking fans to help us campaign for the rest of the show (the final 25 episodes) to come to DVD. It's really easy to do and won't take much time. Either that day or the weekend before it (September 15-18, 2017), simply visit the Disney Movie Club's official Facebook page and ask for the rest of the show on DVD. That's it! Well, and maybe share this with other fans if you can and on social media use the hash tag: #DuckTales30. If we can find enough of a mass to do this at once, we feel we have a real chance to make this happen as it has happened for us before with TaleSpin. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyMovieClub
I wan't to collaborate, but I don't have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Can I do it via e-mail?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:I didn't know they had released the same twice for most of the shows. What a wasted opportunity to add the missing episodes. It seems just laziness on their part.
Yes. in the US there was the original "fat" sets they released that had each disc in it's own separate thin case, packaged in a larger cardboard cover, and then a few years ago they re-released the exact same sets (minus Gummi Bears for some reason) in thinner, more standard sized cases that currently sit on store shelves right now.
D82 wrote: I wan't to collaborate, but I don't have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Can I do it via e-mail?
Of course, however Facebook is best. Just visit the following link and you can write them from there:

http://dafradio.net/da-on-dvd-campaign/contact-disney/

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

milojthatch wrote:
D82 wrote: I wan't to collaborate, but I don't have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Can I do it via e-mail?
Of course, however Facebook is best. Just visit the following link and you can write them from there:

Thanks for the link! I understand Facebook is better for that. I'll try to convince some people I know to participate through their social media accounts too. I hope a lot of people join in and we finally get the missing episodes!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

D82 wrote:
milojthatch wrote: Of course, however Facebook is best. Just visit the following link and you can write them from there:

Thanks for the link! I understand Facebook is better for that. I'll try to convince some people I know to participate through their social media accounts too. I hope a lot of people join in and we finally get the missing episodes!
Thanks!

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just sent an email via the http://dafradio.net/da-on-dvd-campaign/contact-disney/ page. Thanks for letting us know about that! And the letter was extremely well written- I'm very impressed!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Brand new Disney Afternoon actions figures are coming next month from Pop Funko!

https://funko.com/blogs/news/coming-soo ... on-figures

-Walt Disney
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've clicked the link 7 or 8 times, but the page never loads. What new characters are there being made into pops?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"