Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Patrick wrote:I don't know much that any of the three girls have done. Visually speaking, I think Saoirse Ronan would be a good fit for Cinderella. I think Gabriella Wilde is too typically pretty and would have to have a stripped down face (i.e. little makeup) to look like Cinderella. If they decided to keep Cindy blonde (dipped with strawberry *cough cough*) I can't imagine Alicia Vikande looking good. :P

Anyway, very exciting that this is moving forward.
Vikander is blonde in Anna Karenina, in which she was absolutely wonderful (and looks completely natural as a blonde). If I had a choice, I'd go with her.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Disney Duster wrote: What do you mean, can you elaborate? Because Cate Blanchett, who played the mos famous (and good) queen ever, sounds like a rather different approach to the typical "evil stepmother".
What other people have said. Nothing to do with Blanchet (who is amazing btw). Cinderella's story has been a popular theme and you can find similar movies ("contemporary takes of the story" if you like) all over the place. It has been done and done again. How many movies are out there in which an average girl (be it of social stature/beauty/wealth etc) finds a "Prince Charming" and lives happily ever after?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I get what you mean. Unfortunately some people could go even farther and argue there's no new stories being made at all. But this is supposed to actually be Cinderella, not just an everage girl rising in status. If it was just another modernization, then I would be as dissapointed.
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

Disney and director Mark Romanek are parting ways on Cinderella, the revisionist fairy tale movie that has Cate Blanchett attached to star. It’s all going down now, but I’m told that Romanek and the studio have differing views on how to tell the story. Romanek’s is darker, and it’s too dark for this to turn out to be a fairy tale ending.
Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/mark-ro ... inderella/[/quote]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Why does Disney have a constant fear of anything remotely more mature and serious?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Wow. That is kind of weird. They have no problem with some of the stuff they get away with in the Pirates movies and they let Tim Burton incorporate decapitated heads in Alice in Wonderland and now they're rejecting someone's vision of Cinderella being too dark?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Mark is such a talented director... What a shame!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I like dark, I have no problem with dark. But if this director did not want a fairytale happy ending, then he is not the right choice to bring Cinderella to life IMO. If Cinderella does not get the prince in the end, then this movie would not be the fairy tale Cinderella that everybody knows.

Unless they're turning Cinderella into a warrior a la Snow White and the Huntsman and Alice in Wonderland (Burton). But then again, it would not be an adaption close to the original source.
Last edited by Prince Edward on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

Prince Edward wrote:I like dark, I have no problem with dark. But if this director did not want a fairytale happy ending, then he is not the right choice to bringe Cinderella to life IMO. If Cinderella does not get the prince in the end, then this movie would not be the fairy tale Cinderella that everybody knows.
I agree. It can be dark, but Cinderella has to be someone who never looses hope in any condition, and gets a happy ending at the end.

I hope her stepmother's quite evil though. I want to see a epic fight between her and Cinderella, like in Cinderella 3.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I can't hardly believe they're not allowing a edgy retelling of Cinderella. In Frankenweenie that mutant bat hybrid thing taking shape was pretty dark for a kid/family film and I thought "Wow! Kids will be having nightmares from seeing this part!" :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No no no damn damn damn!!!!! Disney loses one of the best things about this...
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

This is quite surprising, since the majority of the new fairy tale films of the past few years have been "dark" or "quirky" in tone (a number of which are absolutely ridiculous, by the way; Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters? Maleficent? Ouch...). Equally, most versions of the Cinderella story from folklore are quite sombre in tone, and would be interesting to see as the basis of a film adaptation (incidentally the most famous version by Charles Perrault is the most light-hearted). My only guess is that Disney doesn't want a dark version of the story attached to their name, especially since their animated Cinderella has a reputation for being such a light-hearted film.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I only now realize when they said "too dark for this to turn out to be a fairy tale ending" that they meant it literally might not have the original Cinderella's conclusion. It could have been very dark, but if this was going to end with anything other than "they lived happily ever after" then maybe it was good Romanek left.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Kenneth Branagh in Talks to Direct CINDERELLA
Earlier this month, director Mark Romanek departed Disney’s live-action adaptation of Cinderella after “creative differences”. Today, Vulture reports that the studio is now in talks with Kenneth Branagh to replace Romanek. Branagh is a pretty major departure from Romanek, whose previous films Never Let Me Go and One Hour Photo have a distinct style and approach. Branagh’s non-Shakespeare work is fairly journeyman aside from his overuse of Dutch angles.

Cate Blanchett is reportedly still attached to play the evil stepmother, and the production is still looking for its eponymous princess with Saoirse Ronan, Gabrielle Wilde and Alicia Vikander reportedly on being eyed for the role. Disney hopes to begin shooting in London this fall for a possible 2014 release. Branagh’s next film, Jack Ryan, opens December 25th. Click here for new images from the movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I could live with him being director. His Hamlet was good (both his directing and acting). I would find it weird they are approaching him theough, if it weren't for a London-shot Cinderella sounding kind of like the royalty and classicalness of Shakespeare.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Disney Duster wrote:I could live with him being director. His Hamlet was good (both his directing and acting). I would find it weird they are approaching him theough, if it weren't for a London-shot Cinderella sounding kind of like the royalty and classicalness of Shakespeare.
Well, he is the director of Thor so I don't think his take will necessarily be very sophisticated, artsy or whatever you want to call it.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

He's a great replacement for Mark, that's for sure. I've only seen 'Hamlet' and 'Thor', but I think he's a really good director.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think he would be a brilliant choice of director; he is good at what he does. Joe Wright I think would be another possibility; I think he could really bring something to the film. (I hope he still goes ahead with his Little Mermaid adaption as well).
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

God, I can't wait for Joe Wright's 'The Little Mermaid', but I remember reading he was waiting for Hollywood's fairytale madness to fade a bit. Also, I imagine this must be an extremely difficult film to shoot. But I know Abi Morgan has already finished the first draft of the script.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

He just mentioned it recently with regards to upcoming projects with Keira Knightley...who I could personally see playing Cindy !