Cinderella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella (2015)

Post by WillytheDino »

Atlantica wrote:Gosh, which show is this ?! Mickey and the Magician ? As I thought that was the animated version that was featured ?
It is Mickey and the Magician. Fairy Godmother is from the animated version but the Cinderella dress is based on the live action movie, at least that is what someone who is working over there at animation told me.
Looking back at it in a video, I am not so sure though. Maybe they took more inspiration from the redesign of the animated version combined with the live action version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtel1noFS8
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok wow first of all that show looks amazing!!! Can't believe how thye made the dress appear!!!

But then, yes, I think it is all a mix of the original animated Cinderella, the redesign, and the live-action version. It looks like aaallll those to me. Also, they have butterflies coming in with more fabric to cover the dress as Cinderella appears. Butterflies just like in the live-action version. Giant butterflies, but still butterlfies, lol.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

So, I was randomly thinking, what was the time span from when Father told Ella he was remarrying to the wedding between Kit & Ella? On the surface, the whole movie could've taken place in a matter of months. However, when you take into account the period of mourning for Ella's father (considering mourning rituals of the 19th century and before), the time it took to send Kit's portrait to the princesses all over the world, and the period of mourning King Frederick's death, the whole thing could've taken place within 2-3 years, or even more.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't know any of that. It could indeed have been 2 or 3 years. However I highly doubt it was two or three years.

Doesn't the page say three weeks to the day, there will be the ball? And doesn't it seem like that part happens a day after Kit proposes the invitations go out to everyone and the King, Captain, and Duke agree?

Also, I just feel like Ella and Kit would have searched for each other more if it took more time for them to see each other.

Reminds me that Kit should have told Ella there would be a ball and he'd be sure to meet her there, even before he got his father to agree. Or they should have planned to meet again somewhere.

Oh, and by the way my friend, I have finally agreed this is the best Cinderella movie ever made. I still feel like Walt's and Lesley Ann Warren's have more soul and thus are better there, but really, this movie makes me feel more, I think. Not the same feelings as the parts in Walt's where Cinderella breaks down and how great her getting her happy ending is, but still. In Kenneth Branagh’s 2015 Cinderella, Cinderella doesn’t take as much abuse from her stepfamily. She leaves the house and does things to make her happy. Yes, Walt Disney’s Cinderella did things to make her happy, but perhaps not to the extent Kenneth Branagh’s does by leaving her abuse and not getting huge lists of chores and not being abused as much. And her Fairy Godmother comes to her aid much sooner, too. That’s all very good stuff.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I've been noticing recently that Disney are using this version of Cinderella as much as they seem to be using the iconography of the original, which is really interesting. The blue dress that Ella wears (the dress) is being used in Disney paintings, promo, and even the Thomas Kindle calendar. I'm not complaining at all, but it was just an observation :)

And from what I've seen in the Princess thread they are using the backstory of Ella to pad out the Cinderella story for the Young Princess line. So just interesting to see how they've merged them, when the live action version of Aurora has had no impact. I wonder what treatment Belle will receive ?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Atlantica wrote:I've been noticing recently that Disney are using this version of Cinderella as much as they seem to be using the iconography of the original, which is really interesting. The blue dress that Ella wears (the dress) is being used in Disney paintings, promo, and even the Thomas Kindle calendar. I'm not complaining at all, but it was just an observation :)

And from what I've seen in the Princess thread they are using the backstory of Ella to pad out the Cinderella story for the Young Princess line. So just interesting to see how they've merged them, when the live action version of Aurora has had no impact. I wonder what treatment Belle will receive ?
Where can I read the Cinderella story for the Young Princess line? Thank you! :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Not out yet tsom, but here is the link :

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Princess_Beginnings

:)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am unaware just how much from this film Disney is using. I knew of the Thomas Kinkade pictures and one Disney World promo, oh, and the Ella name and dress in that Disney Princess Beginnings book, but I didn't know of anything else.

I'm fine with it, as long as this and the original stay in the collective consciousness of people each generation. I hope the live-action 2015 version gets released periodically in the future as much as the animated 1950 is, because I think it is the best version of Cinderella, but I love the animated 1950 one the most.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Atlantica wrote:Not out yet tsom, but here is the link :

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Princess_Beginnings

:)
Thank you! That's such a cute synopsis! :)
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Parody of Cinderella (2015) set to Taylor Swift songs.

https://youtu.be/g3SEX3xQk9E
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They did a really good job! And somehow that dress transformation was seamless! The only song of Swift's that I like though that they used was "Love Story". And what do you know it was perfect for the ending and the parody in general.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Atlantica wrote:For goodness sake, I still don't understand that way of thinking; bashing one doesn't make the other better ! Disney themselves are massively guilty of this; slate slate slate the 'old' Princesses and their values because the new wave is so much better blah blah blah. I'm sure, as has been said, Emma didn't directly say it like that, just how its been picked up. All of the Princesses have their own fantastic qualities, and personally, I enjoyed the performance by Lily James in Cinderella. The role is almost painfully vanilla, but adding the element of 'Have courage, and be kind' / 'Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic' ... that really added something special. And as Lily said herself, Cinderella is this mythical Princess icon figure as its neigh on impossible to be that good and kind as a constant. I feel it was directed well on further reflection by Kenneth Branagh.
I'm glad you enjoyed her performance. I thought you didn't. And when you say the role is vanilla, do you mean just the 2015 one or all Cinderella roles?
Atlantica wrote:The role of Cinderella is a hard one, for the aforementioned reasons that I gave. I'm not saying its a negative role, or she's not a role model or anything like that; but as I said, there is a reason why she is this mythic, fairytale character. Which is why I like the twist of using her kindness and courage as such wonderful attributes. Cinderella is a hard role for sure, but Lily James is sweet in the role. The film holds up really well on further viewing.
Atlantica, now I get you. I am quite glad about what you said. Cinderella, in the Perrault version with the glass slipper, is supposed to be the kindest and most good a person can ever be. But that doesn't mean she can't get mad or use sarcasm like the Walt Disney version. And even the 2015 version didn't have her always calm. Anyway, yea, it's hard to make an always kind person into an interesting character. But I think Lily James did a good job. As did Kenneth Branagh. Thanks for all you said. I love how the film does hold up well.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

This is interesting. If you remember, Cinderella was going to be vastly different before Chris Weitz's rewrites and before Kenneth Barangh came along. Just how different? Take a look at this quote:
Originally the story for 2015’s Cinderella was radically different. “She was cast out to stop a wedding that was of political import to the kingdom,” Bailey said. “She was left for dead, she had to fight her way through a forest and befriended a rogue knight.” But with the story having been remixed countless times before, the team eventually realized they should just do it straight.
This version sounds a lot like Snow White and the Huntsman. I guess it would've been interesting to see what it would've been like. The final version sounds nothing like the initial version, so I see why the first director left the project. Also, I wonder if Cinderella would've ended up with the rogue knight instead of the prince?

The quote came from this article: http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/beauty-a ... chine.html
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with everything you said! I'm amazed at what the film almost was and am so glad they instead tried (and to me succeeded) to make the definitive Cinderella live-action film. For now, anyway. ;)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't like the sound of that at all. I'm so glad Disney didn't go that route for Cinderella.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love this film. Now, after some re-watching the actors for Cinderella and her father seem like the least well-acting performers, even though Lily James still shines to me, but Lily did a good enough job for me to rank as my third favorite Cinderella. Aside from that, and the use of the Painted Room for what is supposed to be a castle room for fencing and should have been a new set, and the "Getting to Know You" scene not being in, this film is almost everything I could have asked for. I say almost because it's not like it was written to have the best dailogue ever or the most complex Cinderella ever or the best developed romance ever, but really, this film gives me everything I wanted. It's a dream come true.

That being said, I wonder what would have happened if an idea that Cate Blanchett came up with was used. She is actually not that old (she's only 48 and Sofie McShera is 32!) and she wondered when she was asked to be in the film if she would have played Cinderella and been CGIed to look younger (at least, she did mention CGI on her face and sounded like she meant that about playing Cinderella in an interview). Wouldn't it have been cool to have the best actress in the film played the stepmother and Cinderella with CGI making her look different?

And I told someone that this film was supposed to be set in an imaginary Austrio-Hungarian kingdom, and I believe Kenneth Branagh did say it in an interview, but the castle I found from Wikipedia is actually based on one from Germany, called Zwinger. It looks really cool.

Finally, I wanted to post a picture of how maybe Cinderella's pink dress could have looked to look prettier and closer to the blue one since Cinderella's supposed to outshine the stepsisters when she appears at the top of the stairs right after Lady Tremaine says, "I dare say no one in the kingdom will outshine my daughters" and it getting destroyed is less sad when it's not that pretty and it only barely looked like the blue one. Here it is:

But actually I do still like the one in the film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I barely remember the father from the film. I loved Hayley Atwell as the mother, but I'm biased because I love the actress. I would have kept basically most, if not all, the deleted scenes in the film. Maybe the extended opening wasn't very necessary and maybe neither was Ella meeting the Grand Duke on the road after the ball, but I liked the other extended scenes and Ella attempting to contact the prince.

I never realized that Cate Blanchett thought that Disney wanted her as Cinderella. I'm not sure how I would feel about her playing a double role, because even with CGI to make her look younger, it would feel odd that two characters who are not even biologically related and such polar opposites would be identical. I suppose it would fit a theme that Lady Tremaine was once much like Ella before something crushed her dreams and soul. Now I wouldn't mind another Cinderella adaptation with Cate Blanchett playing her.

Thanks for the info on the Cinderella castle. The palace you mentioned looks beautiful and I can see the similarites between it and the one from the film.

I like your illustration of Ella's dress a lot. I never liked her pink one in the film as it was not fit for a ball at all but maybe more a picnic. At least in the animated film, Ella realizes that the dress will not fit with contemporary sensibilities and has it reinvented. I know people aren't fond of the animated pink dress, but it's one of my favorites and closely tied with her silver ballgown as my fav. Your illustration reminds me a lot of it. I would just maybe make the bow white or maybe a different shade of pink like the animated film. I do like how the bow resembles a butterfly in your drawing.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would be ok with every deleted scene being in it except the first two. But all I really would want to be in the film is "Getting to Know You" and maybe "Dear Kit". Less deleted scenes means less subplot which makes it closer to the original tale and that's what the way I personally like it.

Yea in one interview Cate referenced CGI being on her face to make her look younger and she hinted at it meaning she would play Cinderella. I'd have to search for that interview and today's not the day for me to do it but I can say that's definitely what it sounded like. If she did do a double role, I could see them using CGI to alter her completely, and we know she can put on different voices and acting, so I think there's the possibility of it working. Using that to reinforce the idea of her and Ella being alike before they went on different paths is a cool idea. I would love to see Cate as Cinderella in some other film but they'd certainly have to make her look younger.

I never realized Ella's dress may be that inappropriate for a ball. I just thought it was too old-fashioned like the stepmother said. I also never realized my bow looked like a butterfly! I appreciate making the bow a didfferent color, but I liked keeping everything the same shade of pink personally. But yea, thanks telling me you like the picture. Honestly to make it prettiest I would have done away with the round sleeves, but I feel that made it look too different from the pink dress in the film.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This has such rewatch value for me; I find myself dipping into it every couple of weeks. The soundtrack too, extremely beautiful and quite emotional in parts as well.

For me, it really has come out the front runner from all the other remakes so far. I didn't initially think that about the film, but as time has gone on, it really has stuck with me. A proper Disney Classic for me :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I would be ok with every deleted scene being in it except the first two. But all I really would want to be in the film is "Getting to Know You" and maybe "Dear Kit". Less deleted scenes means less subplot which makes it closer to the original tale and that's what the way I personally like it.

Yea in one interview Cate referenced CGI being on her face to make her look younger and she hinted at it meaning she would play Cinderella. I'd have to search for that interview and today's not the day for me to do it but I can say that's definitely what it sounded like. If she did do a double role, I could see them using CGI to alter her completely, and we know she can put on different voices and acting, so I think there's the possibility of it working. Using that to reinforce the idea of her and Ella being alike before they went on different paths is a cool idea. I would love to see Cate as Cinderella in some other film but they'd certainly have to make her look younger.

I never realized Ella's dress may be that inappropriate for a ball. I just thought it was too old-fashioned like the stepmother said. I also never realized my bow looked like a butterfly! I appreciate making the bow a didfferent color, but I liked keeping everything the same shade of pink personally. But yea, thanks telling me you like the picture. Honestly to make it prettiest I would have done away with the round sleeves, but I feel that made it look too different from the pink dress in the film.
Thanks for the info on Cate. I'll try and search for this interview as well. It's certainly an intriguing idea and now I really want to see her double cast in a Cinderella film. Maybe any sort of fairy tale film where there is a young heroine and older villainess like Snow White, Rapunzel, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I know Cinderella would be your own first choice of course.

Ella's pink dress was just very simple besides looking out-dated and it would have made her either invisible at the ball or stick out in a not-so-friendly way. I suppose though she and the prince already know each other here so unlike the original film, she wouldn't need to be overly flash to catch his attention for the first time. I was thinking of the pink dress from the original film which has different shades of blush pink (not the horrid bright magenta in the Platinum/Diamond editions) and white which is why I wish the new dress was also monochromatic like that. But the blue dress really has no resemblance to her orignal silver gown, so I suppose that's all right. I kinda like the round sleeves actually. It gives it that old-fashioned type of look and I feel the dress would be too bare without them.
Atlantica wrote:This has such rewatch value for me; I find myself dipping into it every couple of weeks. The soundtrack too, extremely beautiful and quite emotional in parts as well.

For me, it really has come out the front runner from all the other remakes so far. I didn't initially think that about the film, but as time has gone on, it really has stuck with me. A proper Disney Classic for me :)
I love the soundtrack for this film too. I could listen to it for ages.

It's definitely my fav remake so far as well and a true classic imo. BATB had a lot going for it but it is very flawed as well. I've never been a big fan of The Jungle Book, but while I loved the remake, I'm not fond enough of the source material to truly favor it either. And the only other remake in recent years that I liked was Oz which sadly probably won't be getting a sequel now.
ImageImage