DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:09 pm 

I just saw "Winter Storage" on the disney channel the other night. I think it was between some phineas and Ferb episodes that i was watching with my son. We already have all of the disney treasure dvd's and have ripped them to the computer so they're always all available on demand. But I was surprised that this short was on.

The entire soundtrack was dubbed over with new voices, new sound effects. It seemed like about 30-40% of the cartoon was missing. I can understand them not wanting to show donald getting a black eye. But changing the voices was a bit over the line.

Way to treat the original cartoons that the company was founded on. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

wow, really? I can imagine making them shorter. TV is a fast medium these days and everyone has ADD, but re-doing the voices and sound effects seems unnecessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:54 pm 
Gold Collection

There's already a thread about this subject. Here's the link:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... ey+channel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm 
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:
wow, really? I can imagine making them shorter. TV is a fast medium these days and everyone has ADD, but re-doing the voices and sound effects seems unnecessary...

The cuts looks like they were to make the shorts a consistent and manageable length (5 mins) so they would have something to shove in when a program runs short and they can't sell the ad time (hey, might as well expose the kids to the classics). Of course, one of the great things about these shorts are the perfectly timed musical scores... Which now have huge jump cuts.

Well, that's OK - we'll just grab the original tape masters, separate the voices and put a new score on... Oh. We can't find them/they are too dirty and need an expensive restoration/etc. Well, Mindy from marketing does want consistency with Clubhouse (especially Goofy - Bill Farmer is very different to Pinto), we might just as well add the new voices... it'll be cheaper than dealing with 50 year old tapes too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:41 pm 

so, how many shorts have they butchered like this?

I've only seen Winter Storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:09 pm 
Gold Collection

yaksplat wrote:

Don't start with such nonsense.

If this is the only way to get the younger Disney Channel viewers interested in the classics again, then so be it!

Besides, they put the words "Short Version" on the title cards. Most likely, this will make them want to see the "Full Versions" of the shorts. Even the official site for "Have a Laugh" has both versions of each short available for viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 pm 
Limited Edition

That's really sad news that Walt's art is being defaced.

>>If this is the only way to get the younger Disney Channel viewers interested in the classics again, then so be it!<<

A ridiculous assertion/assumption.

It could be argued that these aren't even the classics anymore if altered in this way. Trimmed for time might be bad enough -- but re-recorded (over Walt's own voice??) - - honestly.

One must wonder if it would all have been better for the reputation and preservation of Walt Disney's film library had Ted Turner or someone acquired it all back it the 80's. (...of course, it might have been worse too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm 
Gold Collection

merlinjones wrote:

That's really sad news that Walt's art is being defaced.

>>If this is the only way to get the younger Disney Channel viewers interested in the classics again, then so be it!<<

A ridiculous assertion/assumption.

It could be argued that these aren't even the classics anymore if altered in this way. Trimmed for time might be bad enough -- but re-recorded (over Walt's own voice??) - - honestly.

It's not an assumption, MJ. It's reality! You're just way too obsessed with Walt and hateful of most of Disney's post-Walt productions/products to get that cold hard fact through your thick skull!

Enough with your flaming and your overly-negative and patronizing attitude already, please, MJ.

Go back to your deep dark depressing holes in the wall at the other overrated and intensely controversial Disney sites that you participate in (MiceAge, the Re-Imagineering blog, etc.), which are highly pathetic and just crawling with equally desperate and close-minded haters who obviously have no lives and refuse to comprehend (Al Lutz, Kevin Yee, Mr. Banks, Captain Schneeemo, WDW1974, TDLFAN, etc., all of whom, IMO, should be banned from the Internet as a punishment along with you, MJ).

And don't take everything so seriously, either!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

---------The World in the Eyes of WDWLocal---------

The sun dawns on the 24th of February 2010. America is a massive greenland, home to an endemic species of rainbow unicorn. A cloud with a smily face rains tears of joy and purple-pink plants of unadulterated joy sprout from the ground.

The Practical Kid: "Wait a mo! Unicorns don't exi-"

WDWLocal: "YOU DON'T SPEAK UNLESS SPOKEN TO!!!!!!!! LOCK UP THAT SAUCY LITTLE 'OUND!!!! HE'S SPREADING PESSIMISM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!! HOW DARE HE SAY UNICORNS DON'T EXIST!!!!!? HE'LL BE SUGGESTING THE EARTH IS HEATING UP NEXT!!!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

WDWLocal wrote:
Go back to your deep dark depressing holes in the wall at the other overrated and intensely controversial Disney sites that you participate in (MiceAge, the Re-Imagineering blog, etc.), which are highly pathetic and just crawling with equally desperate and close-minded haters who obviously have no lives and refuse to comprehend (Al Lutz, Kevin Yee, Mr. Banks, Captain Schneeemo, WDW1974, TDLFAN, etc., all of whom, IMO, should be banned from the Internet as a punishment along with you, MJ).

And don't take everything so seriously, either!

Wow . . . "should be banned from the internet?" I'd rather not bother replying again to someone being so hypocritical, but IMO what you're saying here is completely inappropriate since it's a personal attack against all mentioned by name and even some that are not. I'm all for freedom of speech but enough is enough . . . I'm sick of seeing so many threads of this forum being littered with ignorant and accusatory comments directed toward those who choose not to paint a rosy and idealistic picture of the Disney company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm not clear what is negative or hateful about wanting to see Walt Disney's film art preserved and shown as intended to new generations - - and believing that children of all ages will still find it timeless and relevant if exposed to it.

Seems to me that's positive thinking! Charming even... : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:02 pm 
Platinum Edition

Ideally yes. But if the kids are even exposed to this, they're at least getting a dose of the classics every day, and that's certainly a step up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm 
Super Genius

Are personal attacks really necessary. Jeez... very clASSy!

I mean, if someone said something like:
"OMGZ yIe hAteZzzs BUEAHty anD dA BE$St, i'tS* sUCXxs!!!!1one!!two1!!!!1!!! gO DYEas iNS Hol\ES!!!!1!!hundred!!!1."
... that would be different, but there are perfectly good reasons as to why people are opposed to these abridged versions of already excisting shorts. And I for one agree. If it were the original creator who altered them, fine, but why 'fix' something that's not 'broken'. Please don't tell me that kids these days don't have the attention-span to watch something that's 7 minutes instead of the now 3(?). The new dubbing is useless too, they alter the content - why also the voices?

Why not create some new shorts, they can even put that Australian DisneyToon Studios to a good use (aside from the Tinkerbell feature films).

Last edited by Duckburger on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:00 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I agree that the editing on the classic shorts isn't necessary. If The Brave Little Tailor or Lonesome Ghosts, for instance, managed to still appeal to many generations many years after their release, there is no reason why they can't appeal to the current generation of children. So, altering Walt's original work is kind of distasteful to the originals.

Looking on the bright side, they are being exposed to the classics, so maybe this could lead to a further interest in seeing the entire, un-cut short and maybe I'm being a tad too optimistic here, but if these segments are successful enough, Disney could start re-airing the old anthology shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 pm 
Special Edition

As I said, it's nothing sinister. It's just to cut the shorts into a consistent length that they can actually fit them into the schedule. The overdubbing is to hide the music cuts. Just a commercial reality of an advertising supported station (that runs on RATINGS, not the pixie dust mentality some of us have that children are going to abandon Miley in droves to watch these shorts). As much as it pains me to say this, The Disney Channel is propping up the company at the moment.

Home Video really is the only place the classic material can thrive because there just aren't enough of us to support the advertising of a Vault Disney channel to the point Disney would get a return on its investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm 
Limited Edition

>>Home Video really is the only place the classic material can thrive because there just aren't enough of us to support the advertising of a Vault Disney channel to the point Disney would get a return on its investment.<<

The false assumption is that classic Walt Disney shows only appeal to "fans." I don't believe it. Or that any Classic Disney Channel would even be ad supported (see TCM).

Even if so, there is no reason any version of a Disney Channel (or ABC) can't devote at least a portion of its programming schedule to classic Walt Disney shows, for which there is surely enough latent demand from baby boomers and their families for a dedicated programming block.

I don't buy this "either or" mentality. For most of its existence, Disney made new programs while still perpetuating the classics. Seems like it was a good plan for 75 years or so...

Limited edition DVDs marketed to a narrow base won't renew and expand the demand for classic Disney, this can only be done if offered broad exposure (as it always was before). Otherwise the pool of those interested via youthful nostalgia will narrow with attrition and age (which is already happening now from the rebranding actions of the past decade or so).

Are the new shows a future replacement? Not really, given they are not based on the same kinds of timeless emotional qualities - - they are shows only of the here and now. Miley type shows will have a nostalgic base in 20 years, but of the "Brady Bunch" "Saved by the Bell" variety, not the "Mary Poppins" "Snow White" Disneyland Mickey Mouse type. The heart was always provided by the classics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

WDWLocal wrote:
yaksplat wrote:

Don't start with such nonsense.

If this is the only way to get the younger Disney Channel viewers interested in the classics again, then so be it!

No nonsense about that. These shorts are being butchered in the most unimaginable way. The dubbing? Come on. This is not exposing kids to the classics. THAT is the nonsense. These "Have a Laugh" bits sicken me every time I see one.