The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which is your favorite PatF character?

Princess Tiana
27%
Prince Naveen
11%
Dr. Facilier
19%
Mama Odie
4%
Eudora & James (Tiana's parents)
1%
Charlotte La Bouff
18%
Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff (Charlotte's father)
1%
Ray (the firefly)
8%
Louis (the alligator)
11%
Other (say which)
2%

Total votes: 177

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part III

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That new pic (12:23pm post by Sotiris)-- I bought The Disney Princess: A Celebration of Art & Creativity a while back but hadn't even flipped through it yet. That picture is on Page 169; the caption says:
A more fully rendered version of the moment shown on page 166. The artists explore many possible poses and ways of staging a scene to find the most effective one. Disney Studio Artist, digital.
(Just FYI in case you wondered what the caption says.) There is SO MUCH concept art in this book, it's incredible.
(Solomon, Charles. The Disney Princess: a Celebration of Art & Creativity. Chronicle Books, 2020. , pg. 169)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. Looks like they picked the better design for the film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I remember Anika Noni Rose had a lot of influence on how Tiana looked in the finished film, right down to suggesting the character have dimples like herself. I'm guessing that first design was drawn before she was cast and I agree with the consensus that Tiana's final design is better.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Sotiris wrote: Image
Wow, she's beautiful. I love the dress she wears in this picture as well. But the blue dress in the movie is much better.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@blackcauldron85: Good to know that I was right to think that image wasn't a full effort on their part.

Tbh, I've never been overly fond of that image (the finished film image) anyway. I know it's the conceit moment of the film, I've just never cared for that shot for some reason. I know that dress costume she wears looks mostly like the Brandy dress from R&H's Cinderella, but something about it in that image reminds me vaguely of Princess Diana (even though the colors are different than what Diana often wore)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I love the dress she wears in this picture as well. But the blue dress in the movie is much better.
I prefer the original white/silver-ish one. It has a classic line to it which makes her look more regal and elegant while the movie one, even though it's pretty too, looks like a more contemporary evening gown. Its design is more generic as well. I also never liked that side bow attached to it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I've been checking the BoxLunch website for the Tiana exclusive pop, and I happened to see this children's backpack that had a really pretty picture on its back:

https://www.boxlunch.com/product/lounge ... 21640.html
blackcauldron85

That's not some $15 Walmart children's backpack- that's a LoungeFly!!! :p I LOVE it!!! I love most of their bags.
blackcauldron85

We just had a work Zoom meeting, and one person has a baby on the way and they're thinking of naming her Tiana because of this movie, and another said that her toddler watches TP&tF every night, and she has I don't know if a mural or something in the bathroom but the only Princess she knows is Tiana.
Disney's Divinity

Aww, that's so sweet! :( Tiana is a pretty name. Changing her name from Maddie earlier on didn't bother me for that reason; I think Tiana is much prettier than Maddie.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Do you think it is worth getting the art book for $750?
blackcauldron85

The book is absolutely spectacular, but OMG that is SOOOO much $. I mean, if you're desperate to get it and that's the only way to.

There are plenty of resources online that showcase a lot of what the book has to offer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjgA69wbeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1U9RMAp0WQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnlUdDnHwM

If there is a particular something that you are super interested in, I do have the book, FYI!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

farerb wrote:Do you think it is worth getting the art book for $750?
I hope that's a typo and you meant to write $75 which is still pricey but tolerable for an OOP book. $750 though -- as beautiful as the book is, it's definitely not worth that money.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah I guess it's a little pricey and not really worth it :(

blackcauldron85, nothing in particular, I just really wanted to have it. Thank you for the links :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool I like the story though I wish Facilier would come back to try to send us to the Other Side when we fall down that waterfall!
blackcauldron85

Re: The Princess and the Frog Live-Action?

Do you have an article handy about Newman hating working on TP+tF? I'm finding interviews he did at the time but nothing saying he didn't want to do it...

And I found this interesting from this 12+ year old article:
“I thought they’d ask me to do it,” Newman adds about the vocals, “but they wanted Dr. John’s voice. They had us doing a part, an otter or some kind of animal that was going to be the narrator. I think he beat me out for the part of the otter."
https://variety.com/2009/film/awards/ne ... 118011431/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Do you have an article handy about Newman hating working on TP+tF?
He never said he hated working on it; he simply said that he can't stand the Broadway-styled princess songs Disney is known for. You can find the quote in question, here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Didn’t he also comment on how he felt race relations were portrayed in a historically inaccurate way and that he felt that that was ridiculous? Or something to that extend?
blackcauldron85

Thanks, Sotiris! I must've read that when you posted it originally but it left my brain. :p
Disney's Divinity

Watched a little of TP&TF today on Freeform and had a few thoughts that made me remember this post I made a long while ago:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I saw a bit of this on TV the other day. I need to sit down and watch it again, since it’s been a while. It was at the scene Naveen is trying to propose to Tiana, and for some reason a part of that scene stuck out to me and several things tied themselves together for me while watching the ending. Tiana talks about her restaurant and uses the word “we”; Naveen think she’s talking about the two of them at first, but she’s referring to herself and her father, which is why he doesn’t propose because there’s no room in her dream for him. Also striking is how, during the vision of her dreams come true Facilier tempts her with, the first thing she does is look for Naveen and she’s disappointed he isn’t there. When Tiana finally looks into the window at her family, the moment she realizes she wants to be with Naveen even more than attain her dream, all three are wearing green. I like the connection they tie between choosing to live together in the present with Naveen (rather than live solitary “in the past” with her father’s memory), and a soothing green color.

I know there are all different sorts of ways the color has meaning in the story though. There’s money (which both Naveen / Tiana are seeking at the beginning and Facilier explicitly refers to as “it’s the green you need”), and in the reverse it takes on a warm, healing, familial meaning by the end. Of course it’s also used as otherworldly during Facilier’s song sequence and several bayou scenes, making nature itself marked as supernatural. I’m surprised they didn’t go further and have Facilier himself wear more green, to accent his envious personality. But, I suppose, purple is the opposite of green—signifying Facilier’s ultimate rejection of anything and anyone beyond himself, unlike Tiana. Facilier also chooses to live in the past, wanting revenge on those with privilege like Charlotte’s family for what he didn’t have, and even sells his soul to get what he wants. That’s why, even though Facilier and Tiana have little direct connection to one another in the story, they are reflections of one another, which makes him a good villain for her, imo.
There is another similarity I thought of between Tiana and Facilier. Tiana's entire life is built around the dead (her father); completing her father's dreams are her entire life and how she plans to "elevate" herself to where she wants to be. Facilier takes it a step further--he literally works with the dead to accomplish his goals of elevating his position. Nearly all of M&C's villains are dark twists on the protagonists.

Anyway, I had a thought during the climactic scene where Tiana finally "gets it," that a "What If" book for this film (those Twisted Tale books) would be one where Tiana didn't finally get it there and, after having tried so hard to do it the "right" way and being denied regardless because she was Black, she gives into Facilier's temptation. ("Come on, Tiana, you're almost there....") Facilier says something about how her dream would be the shining star of Crescent City. Perhaps he would give her her restaurant after taking over the city and she would be an uncomfortable ally of his (think Megara being Hades' slave in Hercules). And Naveen would still be trapped in a box somewhere, Charlotte in a sham marriage, etc.