DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:31 pm 
Collector's Edition

Under the name "have a laugh" its one of those 5 minute short program spots they have (like Brian O'Brian, As the Bell Rings)

They just showed "The Lonesome Ghosts".

Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow! That's great news! It's fantastic to hear that they're finally going to show their old shorts again, and not just this teeny-bopper nonsense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm 
Special Edition

Margos said:
[/quote]Wow! That's great news! It's fantastic to hear that they're finally going to show their old shorts again, and not just this teeny-bopper nonsense![/quote]

How do you know that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm 
Special Edition

It's a shame what became of Disney Channel. I remember the days of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Goof Troop, and the Disney movies they would always play. I was especially let down when House of Mouse stopped. I really liked that show. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Dragonlion wrote:
How do you know that?

Well, I'm just assuming.... I don't know if they're going to make it a regular thing or anything. Jediliz just posted that they've shown "Lonesome Ghosts," and it appears that it's a filler-type thing, with various vintage shorts.
Maybe it was just a one-time deal, maybe it won't last long. But I can sure hope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That's great to hear! In a related story, the original Pink Panther cartoons have returned on Cartoon Network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 pm 
Collector's Edition

http://disney.go.com/mickeymouse/video.html

from the Disney Channel Wikipedia page:

In late October 2009, Disney Channel premiere a new short series called: "have a laugh!"[7] [8] These 4 to 5 minute segments would include re-dubbed versions of classic Disney Cartoons. The first of which premiere on October 26, 2009: Lonesome Ghosts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Channel

Lets hope this lasts! The only time my sister's kids saw classic cartoons was when we stayed at a resort at Disney World this past May (this year). I wonder if they'd consider showing Steamboat Willie?

Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
Limited Edition

jediliz wrote:

from the Disney Channel Wikipedia page:

In late October 2009, Disney Channel premiere a new short series called: "have a laugh!"[7] [8] These 4 to 5 minute segments would include re-dubbed versions of classic Disney Cartoons.

Oh my. So they're shortened and re-dubbed? I mean, I guess it's sort of better than nothing, but I'm not too sure I like the sound of that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think by shortened, they mean the shorts don't have any scenes that involve racism. Re-dubbed though, I'm not sure what that means since I don't recall any shorts re-dubbed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 pm 
Limited Edition

No, they're saying that they're 4-5 minutes long. Most of the shorts, take "Lonesome Ghosts" for example, don't have anything controversial in them, but are certainly longer than that. This means that they have been cut for time.
And they could easily have been re-dubbed specifically for these segments. So basically, they're giving us our classics on Disney Channel, just not the way they were meant to be. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:36 am 
Gold Collection

Want to see "have a laugh"? Well, than "have a look".

http://disney.go.com/mickeymouse/video.html

If you want to, you can even compare the re-dubbed short versions and original long versions.

I don't think the new versions are bad exactly, and I understand that they have been edited for time (and thus, completely changed the ending to "Mickey and the Seal"), but I do wonder why Disney would think that kids would have a problem with the original dub. Oh well, on a bittersweet note, at least we get to hear a little more of Bret Iwan's voice.

Edit: It looks like the link was already posted. Oops-Sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Hey, that sounds like Bret Iwan as Mickey in the newly dubbed versions of the shorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:16 am 
Special Edition

DisneyJedi wrote:
Hey, that sounds like Bret Iwan as Mickey in the newly dubbed versions of the shorts.

My first time hearing Bret, and he sounds fantastic as Mickey - I can defiantly hear a lot of Wayne in there. I guess my only gripe is it isn't completely Wayne - I'm just too used to it. He also will need time to grow into the role (just like Wayne and Jimmy) and get some of the subtler sides of the character down pat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 am 
Banned

Bret Iwan sounds real close to Wayne and Jim McDonald, there's a certain warmth to Mickey's voice.

As for the redubs of the shorts, I'm upset that they "butchered" the classic film, but like people before me said, "the kids are bein exposed to the classics now"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:40 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ugh. I saw this today on the Disney Channel. As a fan of all Disney animation, I HATED this. The dubbing seems totally pointless and unnecessary, and I find it very distracting while trying to watch the short (it just doesn't match for me). It certainly doesn't help me warm up to the new Mickey voice (introducing him this way I mean, and that may be the whole reason they're doing this, I don't know), and I certainly don't see this as exposing kids to the classics either, since they are so horribly redone here. Very disappointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:58 am 
Gold Collection

IagoZazu wrote:
It's a shame what became of Disney Channel. I remember the days of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Goof Troop, and the Disney movies they would always play. I was especially let down when House of Mouse stopped. I really liked that show. :(

If you think that's bad, I still miss the days of Mickey's Mouse Tracks and Donald's Quack Attack (where they put 3 shorts together to form a half hour). *sob*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 am 
Gold Collection

In the case of Lonesome Ghosts, the redub might have been to make the ghosts' voices more audible. In the case of the whole idea, the redubbing might be to keep the kids from getting confused and wondering why Mickey and the others sound different here than they do on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:23 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wow! I'm so happy that Disney Channel is playing classic Mickey shorts again!

Here is my take on the dubbing. This is not the first time that Disney has altered their older content to try to make it appeal to a new audience. Look at Fantasia, which was redubbed in the 80's. You would think the people on UD would be the ones against that, but it is mostly UD members who are requesting that Disney release it as an audio option on the upcoming Diamond Edition. Or look at Zorro and some of the black & white shorts that have been colorized and released that way on DVD. There are people who want those versions.

The truth is that if you pay attention, you can tell that Mickey sounds slightly different with each person who voices him. The same goes for the other characters. So I'm assuming that the decision to re-dub these shorts was based on the fact that when kids go to a Disney theme park or watch a more recent Mickey Mouse cartoon, he doesn't sound the way he did in the 30's and 40's. The important thing is not so much that they dubbed them for a new audience, but that the original recordings still get used elsewhere. Thankfully, we have most of the shorts through the Walt Disney Treasures.

And heck, if this is what they need to do to get the Hannah Montana generation interested in classic Disney, then so be it. The more diehard Disney fans, the more leverage we have in getting the more obscure content we've been begging for released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:45 am 
Platinum Edition

I really like the old animated Disney shorts, but I do not think I would want to watch the shorts if they are edited and re-dubbed. I think it is pointless to do this. I could just watch the shorts unedited on DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:02 pm 
Limited Edition

saw it.its harmless abridgement except that the animals sounded so human made.the old version didnt. the mickey voice is cute and not as stuffy nasal as the latter wayne alwyne one.he sounded cleaner during the 80s.i guess age took its toll.all in all...i like walt's mickey's voice because the innocent fits the attitude back then better.it can be cheeky at times, not just corporate squeaky (pun) clean persona.