Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Disenchanted

Post by Farerb »

Rachel Covey is 22 years old, she wouldn't pass for a 16 year old when they cast 20+ or even 25+ actors to play teenager all the time?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, now that the synopsis has been revealed, I must say that I`m a little torn about it. I don`t mind that it`s going to be have a transformation to "a perfect fairy tale". Since the original Enchanted centered around the differences between the fairy tale world vs. the real world. Yet I don`t like that it`s going to revolve around Giselle having a ticking clock to fight against. It seems a little cheap and clunky to have such a device to be the central conflict of the story, when it doesn`t need to. There are various other aspects to explore in such a fairy tale premise. As for the Seven Dwarfs, I`m a little torn about them as well. Mostly due to the fact that it`s a little contrived and incongruous to have them for obvious reasons. Either way, I`ll hope they`ll get some justice, after all. Since they`re great characters and deserved to be honored, not mocked. And not just for simply belonging to a certain movie that started it all (no pun intended).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

To me what's cheap and clunky is that Giselle will probably learn the same thing as she did in the original, that real life are more complicated than fairytales and it's just redundant and why there shouldn't be any sequels to fairytale films (cause well I guess they didn't live happily ever after after the first film)....
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:To me what's cheap and clunky is that Giselle will probably learn the same thing as she did in the original, that real life are more complicated than fairytales and it's just redundant and why there shouldn't be any sequels to fairytale films (cause well I guess they didn't live happily ever after after the first film)....
Fair enough. But truth to be told, many sequels are usually about the characters re-learning the lessons they`ve learned on the first journeys. Or facing a similar hurdle.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like Malvina Monroe will be played by Maya Rudolph.
Two-time Primetime Emmy winner Maya Rudolph, Yvette Nicole Brown and Jayma Mays are boarding Disenchanted, the Disney+ Enchanted sequel. I hear Rudolph will play a villain in the sequel with Brown and Mays also potentially portraying evil as well. Adam Shankman is directing for a production start later this spring. Producers are Barry Josephson, Adams, and Barry Sonnenfeld.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/disney-enc ... 234744446/
Based on this new casting, it's likely that Rudolph will be playing the villain Malvina Monroe, the domineering queen bee of the suburb where Giselle and her family. Brown and Mays are likely playing Malvina’s assistants, Rosaleen and Ruby. The primary functions of these characters are to sing Malvina’s praises while doing each and every task Malvina asks of them. Of the two, Rosaleen is the more mean-spirited. It is unknown at this point who will be playing Rosaleen and who will be playing Ruby. Filming will take place this summer in Ireland, with production scheduled to wrap in August.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2021/04/26/di ... ayma-mays/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Maya Rudolph! As a villain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am here for this.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Patrick Dempsey will be singing in the sequel!
Q: Now, let’s talk about the “Enchanted” sequel. It’s finally happening!

Patrick Dempsey: I’ve been talking to director [Adam Shankman]. The story is getting better and better. There’s a great cast coming together. And the musical numbers, I get to sing and dance. To work with everybody again after 14 years is just really exciting. We need some escapism right now. We need those romantic comedies and those musicals to get people out of the doldrums that we’re in.

Q: Did you ever think that there was a chance it was never going to get made? It feels like we’ve been talking about it forever.

Patrick Dempsey: Every year they were like, “We’re going to do this. It’s going to get done,” but then no one could agree on the script. It’s such an important film for them and it’s a satire. It’s not a typical Disney movie. It’s kind of off-brand a little bit. Yet we give honor to all of those Disney movies that have come before and they finally now have figured it out. And we’re old enough, so it’s like a midlife crisis movie.

Q: What kind of vocal and dance training are you doing?

Patrick Dempsey: I just finished Season 2 of “Devils” in Rome. Now I can focus 100% on that. I will be singing for the first time. I’ve never ever sung publicly — for a reason. So bear with me. I hope the fans embrace it. But they’ve set me up for success and the lyrics are really fun. The numbers have really great choreography. And the premise is going to be interesting.

Q: Are you singing with Idina Menzel?

Patrick Dempsey: I don’t sing with her. I don’t know the exact amount, but there are a lot of cool numbers in this.
Source: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/patric ... 234961015/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I know usually you use a wand to perform magic, but I actually really like the idea of Giselle making a wish on a specifically magic wishing wand, giving it a wave, and that's how the magic happens, or maybe no wave, whatever. I love the plot. Sure, it will have a similar lesson, but oh well. Could be worse, couldn't it? She's at least learning something new - really life still has more obstacles in it she has to deal with.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some more news from Ireland:
A video shared on TikTok by Edith Gervin shows the set being built in Enniskerry and Gervin says she believes the town hall steps will be the scene for a dance number featuring up to 200 dancers.

Meanwhile, MovieExtras.ie has published an advertisement for paid background actors for Disenchanted and they’re looking for people of all shapes and sizes to be part of the production. These actors will be filming in Dublin.

“Clocktower Productions is seeking roles for the motion picture project entitled Disenchanted, a new feature-length motion picture project to be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, filming in Dublin, Ireland between May and August 2021. Clocktower is committed to diverse, inclusive casting,” the advert reads.

“Submissions for non-descript roles will be accepted for all performers, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, disability, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity or any other basis prohibited by law, subject to legitimate casting objectives.”
Source: https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle ... 74864.html

Sotiris wrote:She made a wish on a wand? :? That doesn't make sense. You perform magic with a wand, you don't wish on them. They could have used so many alternatives like a magic wishing well or an apple or a lamp or even a star.
That's what I thought too. Well, a wishing well was done in the first film, but as you said, there are many other alternatives. If it really is a magic wand, I hope at least it makes sense in the context of the movie.
farerb wrote:Rachel Covey is 22 years old, she wouldn't pass for a 16 year old when they cast 20+ or even 25+ actors to play teenager all the time?
Yeah, I don't understand that either.
farerb wrote:To me what's cheap and clunky is that Giselle will probably learn the same thing as she did in the original, that real life are more complicated than fairytales and it's just redundant and why there shouldn't be any sequels to fairytale films (cause well I guess they didn't live happily ever after after the first film)....
I've been thinking about that too. I usually don't like when they do that in sequels either. Although, to be fair, in real life we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over, and we usually need to fall more than once to learn a lesson. I hope at least is done a bit differently this time.
Sotiris wrote:It looks like Malvina Monroe will be played by Maya Rudolph.
Two-time Primetime Emmy winner Maya Rudolph, Yvette Nicole Brown and Jayma Mays are boarding Disenchanted, the Disney+ Enchanted sequel. I hear Rudolph will play a villain in the sequel with Brown and Mays also potentially portraying evil as well. Adam Shankman is directing for a production start later this spring. Producers are Barry Josephson, Adams, and Barry Sonnenfeld.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/disney-enc ... 234744446/
Based on this new casting, it's likely that Rudolph will be playing the villain Malvina Monroe, the domineering queen bee of the suburb where Giselle and her family. Brown and Mays are likely playing Malvina’s assistants, Rosaleen and Ruby. The primary functions of these characters are to sing Malvina’s praises while doing each and every task Malvina asks of them. Of the two, Rosaleen is the more mean-spirited. It is unknown at this point who will be playing Rosaleen and who will be playing Ruby. Filming will take place this summer in Ireland, with production scheduled to wrap in August.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2021/04/26/di ... ayma-mays/
I don't think I've seen Maya Rudolph as a villain before. This is at least her third work for Disney, right? She voiced Hiro's aunt in Big Hero 6 and will be the protagonist's mother in Luca. If she'll have two assistants, does that mean she's going to be the village's major, for example? If so, I guess she won't be a witch or an Andalasian after all, at least not initially.
Sotiris wrote:Patrick Dempsey will be singing in the sequel!
I'm glad he'll get to sing this time.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, it will be cool for Robert to sing!
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Will Julie Andrews return as the narrator ?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Will Julie Andrews return as the narrator ?
That's a good question. It would be nice if she returned. And also the storybook opening.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:If she'll have two assistants, does that mean she's going to be the village's mayor, for example? If so, I guess she won't be a witch or an Andalasian after all, at least not initially.
Yeah, she'll probably be the mayor or a councilwoman or something. It's a shame she won't be a character from Andalasia.
D82 wrote:It would be nice if she returned. And also the storybook opening.
It would be awesome if Julie returned. Fingers crossed! Even though it might feel repetitive to some, I would like it if the film featured a storybook opening again. I'm sure they can put a new spin on it to make it differ in some way.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It would be awesome if Julie returned. Fingers crossed! Even though it might feel repetitive to some, I would like it if the film featured a storybook opening again. I'm sure they can put a new spin on it to make it differ in some way.
Yes, they would have to put some new spin on it, but I would also like it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Amy Adams revealed on Instagram she's already in Ireland getting ready to start filming:
Adams gave an update on Wednesday, May 5, revealing she was already on location in Europe. She shared in an Instagram video, "I am in Ireland, where I'm getting ready to start filming on the sequel to Enchanted, which I am very excited about." Behind her, fans got a glimpse of a humble kitchen and dining room table with flowers, though it's unclear whether it was her on-site accommodations or a filming location.

Naturally, her charming co-star Patrick Dempsey (aka the pessimistic Robert Philip) liked her Insta post.
Source: https://www.eonline.com/news/1266325/am ... ted-sequel

Maya Rudolph has confirmed she'll be in the movie and talked a bit about her character in a new interview:
Rudolph will soon get a musical comedy opportunity like never before with a juicy villain role in “Disenchanted,” the highly anticipated sequel to Disney’s “Enchanted,” starring Amy Adams as a wide-eyed princess navigating modern New York City. In a follow-up call the day after the table read, Rudolph gushed about the lively “school play” vibe of the movie and the delicious pleasures of getting to play a villain with “Dynasty”-level camp. (“It’s so dramatic!”)

“If this had been 15 years ago and someone asked if I wanted to be the bad guy, I might’ve been like, ‘geez, I don’t know,'” she says. “But I’ve come to learn in my many years that the most fun thing to get to do is when you get to play The Most.” She also recounted director Adam Shankman approaching her about taking on the part, and how gratifying it was to realize that he knew exactly why he wanted her for it. “It’s nice to be in a place work-wise where I feel like a lot of what I’ve done can speak for itself,” she says, “so I don’t have to explain who I am or what I do.”
Source: https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/ma ... 234965059/

Also, teen actress Hayley Keogh has been cast as "Mean Girl". Since the character doesn't even have a name, I guess it's probably a very small role:
Newbridge native Hayley Keogh has been cast in the new Disney movie being filmed in Co Wicklow.

Hayley’s character name is Mean Girl. It’s a speaking part and filming will take place mid to late May.
Source: https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/63 ... cklow.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Maya Rudolph on Playing a Villain in ‘Enchanted’ Sequel, Working With ‘Dream Come True’ Amy Adams
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/maya ... 234968941/

‘Disenchanted’ Sets Being Built in Irish Village, Plus Open Call for Extras
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/05/08/di ... or-extras/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Amy Adams talks a bit about the movie in this video, and Yvette Nicole Brown confirms she and Jayma Mays are in the film:
Q. You’re now filming “Disenchanted” alongside original cast members Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, Idina Menzel and James Marsden. What can you tell us about that project, if anything at this point?

A. The reason that I can’t tell anyone anything about it right now is that I am so humbled to be a part of it. I’m a newbie and I feel like I haven’t earned the right to speak about “Disenchanted,” especially not this early in the production. That is for Amy, Patrick, Idina and James to discuss what this sequel means to them. Once they have gotten out of the gate and talked about it, I will have story after story to share. But I get to work with Maya Rudolph, which is amazing, Jayma Mays (”Glee”) and all those amazing people I just mentioned. So, I’m over here in Ireland pinching myself every day that this is my life right now.

Q. Can you tell us if you sing in the movie?

A. I can’t. I’ll tell you this: I would love to sing in the movie. I don’t know if my dreams are going to come true or not. It would be so great to sing in it but I don’t know what’s going to unfold for my character.
Source: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... -more.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love YNB! And Jayma Mays is a good addition, too. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Idina Menzel will be singing two songs in the film. One will be a solo and the other a duet or an ensemble song.
Working around pandemic restrictions, the music team for Disney’s Disenchanted has moved forward with international recording sessions. “We’re all in different places,” Stephen Schwartz shared with The Schwartz Scene on May 4th when he sent the studio photo at the top of this page. “The actors (Amy Adams in this case) and the director, Adam Shankman, are in Dublin; the engineer, Frank Wolf, is in LA; Michael Kosarin, our musical director, is in New York; and Alan and I are in his Westchester County studio! COVID times!”

Disenchanted is a sequel to the popular 2007 movie Enchanted. The return of the four original leads Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, James Marsden, and Idina Menzel, has been announced to the press, along with Maya Rudolph, Yvette Nicole Brown, and Jayma Mays.

The movie will be rich with songs. Stephen says, “There are seven songs plus reprises, which is more songs than the original.” Stephen explains that among the new songs he and Alan have written are two for Wicked and Frozen star Idina Menzel who some fans had wanted to hear sing in the first film. “We wrote a song for Idina’s character in the first movie, and then they didn’t have her do it. But in Disenchanted she has one big number and part of another one.”

The work on the sequel has brought Stephen and Alan closer to their usual collaborative way of working on stage musicals—that is, this time they are not being asked to write particular songs that someone else pre-planned. “When we started writing the songs for Enchanted, the script was done and most of the song placements were already in the script,” Stephen recalls. “For Disenchanted, the song choices came much more out of our collaboration with Adam Shankman, the director, and Brigitte Hales, the (current) screenwriter.”

Stephen is hoping to travel to Ireland during the shooting, in part because he loves to travel, but COVID-19 restrictions might prevent that from happening.
Source: https://www.theschwartzscene.com/quarte ... ring-2021/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

She finally gets her Enchanted song(s)!