Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disenchanted

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:My biggest problem with Raya (besides being bland and generic) was that it had an overloaded plot and suffered from a rushed storytelling. Too much time was given to incorporate an overfilled plot that it didn't set up the characters in a fluid way.
I agree that there was a lot of mythology and backstory that needed to be established and it wasn't always done in the most organic and natural way. It did feel rushed at times and there was a lot of exposition that wasn't given enough time to be digested.
DisneyFan09 wrote:The same could be said about how the introduction of Sisu, which was way too rushed in order to incorporate the rest of the squad.
I feel that the rest of the squad was unnecessary and didn't add anything of value to the narrative. On the contrary, I think it took away time that could have been given to Sisu or spent on deepening Raya and Sisu's relationship. I feel the rest of the characters were only included in order to have a representative of each clan there and to hammer the theme of unity.
DisneyFan09 wrote:Naamari was the biggest disappointment, as she had the potential to be truly compelling. But unfortunately ended up just being bland.
While I liked Namaari, I feel the decision to make her into a redeemable antagonist instead of an outright villain was to the character's detriment. Making her a cunning, ruthless, powerful villain would have been a much more entertaining and memorable approach for her than this watered down, lackluster version she turned out being.
D82 wrote:They could've given a more concrete explanation for their existence, though, or for why they appear when they do.
The lack of explanation bothered me too. The Druun seemed like a convenient plot device, only there to cause division and strife just for the sake of it. Even a half-baked explanation as to what they are, how they come to be and why they appear when they do would have been better than nothing.
D82 wrote:A movie without a villain or without a traditional one can be just as good to me.
In theory, I would agree, but it's rarely executed well, in my opinion. I have to admit there are have been examples where that was done well like in Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, and Brother Bear, so it's certainly possible. I suppose I don't really trust in the abilities of the current creative leadership at WDAS to pull that off to my satisfaction. The efforts to do that with Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Frozen II, and Raya left me wanting more. The twist villains weren't great either, but I find this new trend of redeemed antagonist/no villain at all much more ineffective.
D82 wrote:Sisu is a great sidekick to me, Raya a good protagonist and I pretty much like all the other characters as well, especially Namaari, Boun or Benja. Visually, the film is also very attractive to me, especially the character design and the sets and it has interesting world building.
I agree with the above. Sisu is one of the few sidekicks of the Revival who is pleasant and fun without being annoying. Raya is a good protagonist and her relationship with her dad is well developed. I like Namaari too, even though I feel she never reached her potential as a character. In terms of visuals, I was quite pleased with the character design, particularly of Raya, Benja, and Namaari, and the environments and the animation were top-notch as usual. The world building was interesting, but I felt it wasn't as well thought out as it could have been.

Regarding your criticism of Frozen II, you make valid points and I agree with you, but for me that's still not enough to rank it so low. I'm usually more forgiving when a film tries to do something challenging and unconventional even if it doesn't quite stick the landing.
Disney Duster wrote:How the hell was Frozen less cohesive and uneven in tone when Frozen II is a less sense-making mess with almost the same comedy and drama as the first but it has the bizarre attempt at comedy "Lost in the Woods" and Kristoff disappears for most of the film after that?
That sequence was the most out of place, redundant, and ridiculous thing in the entire film. People often cite A Guy Like You as being the most jarring scene in a Disney movie, but I think Lost in the Woods beats that.
D82 wrote:I do have a problem, though, with another thing you also mentioned on one occasion; that they're not subtle at all with the film's message. They're constantly mentioning Raya's lack of trust in others.
That was an issue for me as well. It's not the first time this has happened in a Disney movie, but it felt more egregious here. It was repeated so much it became very noticeable and tiresome.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think the group in Raya detracted from Sisu's development at all. If anything, I think it's possible that kept Sisu from becoming annoying like Maui, Flynn, and so many of the wisecracker types in the buddy roadtrip pipeline are when they have too much screentime. And, moreover, you lose the impact of the final scene with the group turning to stone if it's just Raya and Namaari anyway. Tong's the only weak link of the group to me, but he bothered me less than expected because at least it wasn't predictable (considering I thought the character would be the trope of the old, hard-edged guy whose heart would be broken down by the baby).

I don't really think of Namaari as a villain, really, more of a temporary antagonist. I thought she, Te Ka, Hans, and Facilier have all worked for what they were going for, for the most part. Of course, the Revival doesn't have a single villain that's an absolute knockout, which is symptomatic of the PIXAR takeover--PIXAR was never good at villains either whereas they were always Disney's best thing. And the thing is PIXAR films aren't really that much stronger for lacking villains or having "redeemed" villains. Ghibli they ain't.

As for "Lost in the Woods" v. "Guy Like You," GLY is much more off-tone from Hunchback which becomes so bleak--it happens post-Hellfire after all. Then there's the fact that they're talking statues on top of it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:That sequence was the most out of place, redundant, and ridiculous thing in the entire film. People often cite A Guy Like You as being the most jarring scene in a Disney movie, but I think Lost in the Woods beats that.
I agree. At least "A Guy Like You" has a purpose. To cheer up Quasimodo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Amy Adams has revealed that a song in the sequel is called "Even More Enchanted".
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Amy Adams has revealed that a song in the sequel is called "Even More Enchanted".
I didn't think we would get to know song titles so early. Sounds like it could be the opening number, but since we know Giselle won't be too enchanted at the beginning of the film, maybe that song will take place when the village turns into a fantasy land.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney is not as secretive about their live action films (especially the ones that go straight to Disney +) as they are about their animated films.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I guess you're right.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Amy Adams and @PatrickDempsey are sharing a bit of magic straight from Andalasia! #DisneyPlusDay #Disenchanted
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1 ... 0802747395

AAAAAND WE HAVE OUR LOGO

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1 ... 4089511940
Last edited by rodrigo_ca on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It will be released in fall 2022, I'm guessing next November because it makes much more sense to release Hucus Pocus 2 in October (they confirmed that one will be released in fall 2022 as well).
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

rodrigo_ca wrote:
Amy Adams and @PatrickDempsey are sharing a bit of magic straight from Andalasia! #DisneyPlusDay #Disenchanted
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1 ... 0802747395

AAAAAND WE HAVE OUR LOGO

Awesome!!!!
Farerb wrote:It will be released in fall 2022, I'm guessing next November because it makes much more sense to release Hucus Pocus 2 in October (they confirmed that one will be released in fall 2022 as well).
Double awesome!!!!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:How the hell does Frozen have cluttered storytelling? It's literally just "go find the sister and break the spell" and a "I want love" and Hans is a villain subplots. How the hell was Frozen less cohesive and uneven in tone when Frozen II is a less sense-making mess with almost the same comedy and drama as the first but it has the bizarre attempt at comedy "Lost in the Woods" and Kristoff disappears for most of the film after that? And how the hell were Anna and Elsa more developed in Frozen II? In Frozen Anna wants company and love and gets it and shows of her quirky personality and Elsa grows to explore her powers, who she is, and finds what she really wants which is love as well, and in the sequel Anna is just there to help Elss who just discovers she has the title of fifth spirit.
Well, obviously we can agree to disagree. But I`ve ranted about my issues about Frozen many times before, but I`ll say it again: I felt that story was cluttered because it incorporated the "You can`t marry a man you just met"-subplot within a story that simply didn`t need it. Besides, the backstory of the sisters was rushed and cluttered, as it did left some holes (who the heck was ruling the Kingdom during the three years between the demise of the parents and Elsa`s coronation). True, Lost in the Woods was somewhat the weak link in Frozen II, but personally I thought that the tone was overall more even in the sequel. It didn`t have the huge tone shifts between the melodrama and the comedy that it`s predecessor had.
Frozen was more harrowing and darker, which made the contrasts even more obvious. Frozen II didn`t felt as disjointed in tone, as even Anna`s poignant The Next Right Thing worked within it (as such a grave, solemn song would`ve normally stood out). And I didn`t say that how the sisters were more developed, but they were given more depth: Their characterizations weren`t just reduced into one single trait as they were in the first movie: Elsa is more adventurous and her wants are more expanded. While we see a Anna facing her inner turmoil after what happens to Olaf. But I hope you don`t take my remarks the wrong way. And I haven`t seen your response prior to now, so that`s why I`m replying late.
robster16 wrote:Image
It was a nice logo. But practically the same logo as it`s predecessor.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Pretty logo. I like how they used the wand.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I like the new logo. The addition of the blue hue into the gold differentiates it from the original while keeping it elegant. The wand over the letters "H" and "A" replicates the flourish the original had in the same spot with an element specific to the sequel while preserving its fairytale nature. My only gripe is that the wand and the Disney dust feel more derivative after Godmothered utilized the same concept in its logo.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I like the logo too. It's much improved over the one they showed last year at Investor Day. I guess that's the magic wand Giselle makes a wish on mentioned by The DisInsider. I'm also glad Patrick Dempsey was right and it'll be released next year.
Sotiris wrote:I like the new logo. The addition of the blue hue into the gold differentiates it from the original while keeping it elegant. The wand over the letters "H" and "A" replicates the flourish the original had in the same spot with an element specific to the sequel while preserving its fairytale nature. My only gripe is that the wand and the Disney dust feel more derivative after Godmothered utilized the same concept in its logo.
I agree with everything you said. Yeah, it also made me think of Godmothered's logo, but since that film was so inspired by Enchanted it's only fair that this film now copies a bit from it. :P
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

That logo already looked like a rip-off but comparing to this one, wow. It was truly hideous.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I just noticed that the placement of the Disney dust trail makes it similar to the Disney+ logo. I wonder if they did that on purpose.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^It's true! The sparkle at the top of the wand even looks like a "+" symbol. Maybe it was indeed intentional.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't notice the wand on my phone till Disney's Divinity pointed it out. I agree with him, Sotiris, and the rest of you guys. I really love the wand and Disney dust, obviously! It's perfect to use the wand from the film. And thank you for calling it Disney dust, Sotiris!
DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, obviously we can agree to disagree. But I`ve ranted about my issues about Frozen many times before, but I`ll say it again: I felt that story was cluttered because it incorporated the "You can`t marry a man you just met"-subplot within a story that simply didn`t need it. Besides, the backstory of the sisters was rushed and cluttered, as it did left some holes (who the heck was ruling the Kingdom during the three years between the demise of the parents and Elsa`s coronation). True, Lost in the Woods was somewhat the weak link in Frozen II, but personally I thought that the tone was overall more even in the sequel. It didn`t have the huge tone shifts between the melodrama and the comedy that it`s predecessor had.
Frozen was more harrowing and darker, which made the contrasts even more obvious. Frozen II didn`t felt as disjointed in tone, as even Anna`s poignant The Next Right Thing worked within it (as such a grave, solemn song would`ve normally stood out). And I didn`t say that how the sisters were more developed, but they were given more depth: Their characterizations weren`t just reduced into one single trait as they were in the first movie: Elsa is more adventurous and her wants are more expanded. While we see a Anna facing her inner turmoil after what happens to Olaf. But I hope you don`t take my remarks the wrong way. And I haven`t seen your response prior to now, so that`s why I'm replying late.
There is nothing cluttered about Frozen. So, what, do you think the story should have just been Anna getting her sister from her ice palace and using love to break the spell? Tell me, how? How could she do it without Elsa being mad and using her powers to cause the spell in the first place because of Anna's too quick love of Hans making it happen? How could Anna have figured out about how to stop her sister's spell without Kristoff taking her to see her, then seeing she failed to break the spell by trying to make her do it without knowing how, and finally learn from both Hans and Kristoff what love really is and how to use that to break the spell and get a happy ending with Elsa? Without Hans, how could Anna have sacrificed herself as an act of true love to break the spell? All of this relates to the romantic love subplot! So it was needed!

The backstory of Anna and Elsa was not cluttered, but I admit there is the plot hole of who was ruling the kingdom till Elsa's coronation. But it's not like that plot hole is fixed in Frozen II or that even more confusing stuff doesn't happen in Frozen II, like what happened to Kristoff during so much of the movie, and what happened to Elsa at the end of "Show Yourself" and why? Frozen II was also darker than Frozen because Olaf dies and Elsa sort of dies and Anna's song (which is a really bad song) feels like a too dark moment for even what I thought was a darker film! They even show the moment their parents died, via ice sculpture!

What were the "single traits" the characters only were in the first movie? Elsa is independent, firm in her beliefs, mature, lost, depressed, and finally loving and happy by the end of Frozen. Anna is quirky, a slob, excitable, yearning for love, lost, sad at times, brave and loving all through Frozen. Kristoff is also a slob, and hard-working, caring, brave, friendly, and loving in Frozen. What more depth is given to Elsa in Frozen II? That she finds out she's special and can rule over even more than Arendelle with the Enchanted Forest? She knew she was special in the first film and every main character was adventurous as she is in the first film because they all go on an adventure away from the home they are used to! Elsa trying to find out about herself is about the same as it was in the first film! What more depth is given to Anna in Frozen II, that she's always worried about Elsa and suddenly ready to rule Arendelle? Yeah, her "inner turmoil" scene didn't fly with me. She just sings about, "I'm in a dark spot, but I'll get out" and she does. What more depth is given to Kristoff in Frozen II? That he feels useless and he'll do anything Anna wants?

As for the tonal.shifts, I don't know how to explain how I feel Frozen's tone was perfect, so we'll agree to disagree there.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:And thank you for calling it Disney dust, Sotiris!
I knew you'd appreciate it, Duster. :wink: