Disenchanted

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Enchanted 2 Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

An update, finally.
Adam Shankman was on a Television Critics Association panel for Step Up: High Water, the YouTube Red series he is producing based on the Step Up films. After the panel, he spoke with /Film about the sequel to Enchanted. Shankman is set to direct the film, which is titled Disenchanted. “We are handing in a script in a couple weeks that I’m super happy with,” Shankman said. “Then gotta get the music written.”

Disenchanted has been in development since 2010. Amy Adams will reprise her role as Gisele, the animated Disney princess who decided to stay in live-action New York at the end of Enchanted. The sequel is set 10 years after 2007’s Enchanted. As the title suggests, Giselle may be rethinking her love of the real world. That is still the premise of the new script, Shankman said. “The fundamental story has changed a little bit, but not from the base story of it,” Shankman said. “It’s about Giselle 10 years later going, ‘What is happily ever after?’”

In classic Disney fashion, Enchanted had five musical numbers, three of which were nominated for Oscars (“Falling Slowly” from Once won that year). Shankman said there would be more songs in the sequel. “There’s a lot more songs this time than there were in the original, at least in the planning phase right now,” Shankman said.

Enchanted was bookended with animated sequences. Shankman said fans can expect the same amount of animation in the sequel. “As for the animation, it’s probably about the same amount,” he said.
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/enchanted-2-script/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disenchanted as a title/concept sounds really good, actually! The film might actually be better off that they've waited so long. Back when this was first announced, I didn't really think a follow-up so soon after the first film would be that interesting. This sounds like a strong plot, imo. A fairytale character becoming disillusioned over time in a world without HEAs is a natural progression for the story.

What would be interesting is if Giselle and Robert's marriage is having problems and Giselle decides to return to the animated world only to find that Idina's character has become an Evil Queen dictator, lol. Because a black-and-white morality like that in the fairytale AU has no room for grey like a person from the real world would fall into, not to mention most fairy tales' Madonna-whore dichotomy. Then Robert goes to the other world to save her and we get an animated prince-ified Dempsey. :lol:

Good to hear this soundtrack will have more songs. I hope it has several gems just like the original's soundtrack.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I've been waiting for this sequel for so long so I'm glad we finally have an update. Glad to hear that this movie will have more songs than the first and that they will in fact keep animation in the film, even if it is limited to the amount of animation in the original film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love the title and the plot. If it doesn't have any more animation than the original, though, then Disney's Divinity's pretty good plot won't happen. I was interested, but hey then here's our chance to maybe get something even better.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

maybe Giselle is disillusioned b/c her and Robert split up. :o Has Dempsey been confirmed to return? I just know I need to see Edward again. He's my fave Disney prince!(my 2nd fave is Hans, hehe yes my 2 fave Disney princes aren't technically official Disney princes.) :P
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

unprincess wrote:maybe Giselle is disillusioned b/c her and Robert split up. :o Has Dempsey been confirmed to return? I just know I need to see Edward again. He's my fave Disney prince!(my 2nd fave is Hans, hehe yes my 2 fave Disney princes aren't technically official Disney princes.) :P
Whenever talks of Enchanted 2 come up, it's always Amy Adams and James Marsden who are confirmed to return. Patrick Dempsey, to my knowledge, hasn't been confirmed yet.

I know how you feel lol, because Hans is one of my favorite princes as well, and I also love Edward and wish he got more love along with Enchanted as a whole. He never even got a doll back with the original film.
ImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Its not like they can just write him out off screen or recast him, we left off in live action world. If amy is back he would have be too. Unless it was a prequel.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Kyle wrote:Its not like they can just write him out off screen or recast him, we left off in live action world. If amy is back he would have be too. Unless it was a prequel.
If he's not contracted for a sequel, and he doesn't want to come back, then Disney wouldn't be able to force him. I'm also curious about what they'll do for the daughter Morgan. Will they recast her or set the film years after the original, meaning the actress can be retained?
ImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Not saying they can, but I don't think they would have started a script without it being assumed (on both sides) that he would be back. He was a staple in the original.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Finally some news! I’m really glad it’s still in the works. I hope the script gets geenlit and that it’s as good as the director says. Normally I’m not too excited about sequels, but this one is different. Firstly, because though it will only have short 2D sequences, it's a comeback to traditional animation. And, secondly, it’s finally a film for Alan Menken that isn’t a remake with only 2 or 3 new songs. Also, I love the first one and I agree that the sequel’s concept sounds promising.

JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm also curious about what they'll do for the daughter Morgan. Will they recast her or set the film years after the original, meaning the actress can be retained?
According to the director, the sequel is set 10 years after the first film, so they can use the original actress if they want. And speaking of Morgan, maybe one of the reasons that will contribute to Giselle feeling disenchanted with her current life is that she has a difficult relationship with her teenage daughter.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
unprincess wrote:maybe Giselle is disillusioned b/c her and Robert split up. :o Has Dempsey been confirmed to return? I just know I need to see Edward again. He's my fave Disney prince!(my 2nd fave is Hans, hehe yes my 2 fave Disney princes aren't technically official Disney princes.) :P
Whenever talks of Enchanted 2 come up, it's always Amy Adams and James Marsden who are confirmed to return. Patrick Dempsey, to my knowledge, hasn't been confirmed yet.

I know how you feel lol, because Hans is one of my favorite princes as well, and I also love Edward and wish he got more love along with Enchanted as a whole. He never even got a doll back with the original film.
oh I hope he does return! I really want a doll of him as well as other stuff, its bad enough there's barely anything for Hans available.

I really love the idea of someone from the human world having to go to Andalasia and being freaked out by that world's cartoon reality but that would probably require more 2d animation and you just know Disney's going to want to keep that to a minimum. :roll:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'm also curious about what they'll do for the daughter Morgan. Will they recast her or set the film years after the original, meaning the actress can be retained?
According to the director, the sequel is set 10 years after the first film, so they can use the original actress if they want. And speaking of Morgan, maybe one of the reasons that will contribute to Giselle feeling disenchanted with her current life is that she has a difficult relationship with her teenage daughter.
I'm glad to hear that. I suppose if they couldn't get Patrick Dempsey back, they could have him dead, and Giselle as a single mother. I'm sure there definitely is a huge difference between teenagers in Andalasia (ex. Snow White) versus teenagers of our world.
unprincess wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Whenever talks of Enchanted 2 come up, it's always Amy Adams and James Marsden who are confirmed to return. Patrick Dempsey, to my knowledge, hasn't been confirmed yet.

oh I hope he does return! I really want a doll of him as well as other stuff, its bad enough there's barely anything for Hans available.

I really love the idea of someone from the human world having to go to Andalasia and being freaked out by that world's cartoon reality but that would probably require more 2d animation and you just know Disney's going to want to keep that to a minimum. :roll:
If Patrick Dempsey doesn't come back, that would benefit Edward as he would likely get more screentime and role then. I don't remember Enchanted ever having much merchandise in the first place, so I'd like to see that remedied this time around for the sequel.

Yeah, I was hoping Hans would get a limited edition doll like the rest of the Frozen cast. Especially since Disney has already made several villains and Frozen has so many dolls already, that it's odd that Hans never got one (except for the designer set with him and Elsa and its variant). I still would like to see him in the parks as a face character as well.

I'm just glad that Disney hasn't tried to weasel out of including any 2D animation scenes in the film. I guess it would be difficult to come up for a reason, seeing as how Enchanted depends so strongly on it, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they did make up an excuse.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I would be surprised if Dempsey didn't return. I don't think he has much going on ever since he was fired from Grey's Anatomy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Adams and Dempsey will be returning for the sequel.
Shankman is set to have a huge year ahead of him, as sources tell Variety that after production wraps on “What Men Want,” the director plans on segueing over to the “Enchanted” sequel, “Disenchanted” with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey expected to return.
Source: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/adam- ... 202685648/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Glad to hear he's finally been confirmed. Hoping we'll get closer to a release date soon.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The information on this has been so vague so far, but I was wondering...have they been working on this for a long while now ? Such as getting the animation done and so on. Amy has been quite vocal about it is all, and I just wondered if production has been going on, just on the downlow ....
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I would love to know which animation studio has been tasked with producing the animated sequences. In the first film it was the now-defunct James Baxter Animation.

Very very curious.

Wonder if Sotiris knows. Hint hint ... :P
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:Adams and Dempsey will be returning for the sequel.
Shankman is set to have a huge year ahead of him, as sources tell Variety that after production wraps on “What Men Want,” the director plans on segueing over to the “Enchanted” sequel, “Disenchanted” with Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey expected to return.
How is that a confirmation? "Expected to return" just leaves us where we already were.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:I would love to know which animation studio has been tasked with producing the animated sequences. In the first film it was the now-defunct James Baxter Animation.
Since production hasn't started, I don't believe they've assigned an animation studio yet. Duncan Studio would be a good replacement. They specialize in 2D animation and they've worked with Disney before. The founder, Ken Duncan, was a former supervising animator at WDAS.

James Baxter is working on Vivo at Sony (set to be released in 2020) so I'm not sure whether he'll be able to work on Disenchanted in any capacity. He did have a meeting with Shankman but that was a long time ago.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Kyle wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Adams and Dempsey will be returning for the sequel.
How is that a confirmation? "Expected to return" just leaves us where we already were.
Lol, I didn't even see that in the article. It's possible though that they are in talks with Dempsey now which is why they said "expected to return" and when the contract is finalized, they'll officially confirm him. I think this is still the first time he's been referenced in any Disenchanted news because usually they focused on Amy Adams and James Marsden.

I also wonder who will be the villain this time around since I doubt Susan Sarandon will return. And if the villain will be a real life character or someone from Andalasia.
ImageImage