DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:56 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

Comic-Con is on at San Diego right now, and Disney and Pixar have a strong presence there this year. I so wish I could be there, but instead I am glued to the internet waiting for news. The first panel is going on now (Disney related anyway). Here is the Disney schedule (I may have missed some stuff) and I thought we could have this place to discuss all the news, etc. that Disney unveils this weekend all together in one handy place.

Thursday
11:00-12:30 Disney: 3D Panel— Walt Disney Pictures presents key filmmakers, select cast members and previously unseen footage from its upcoming slate, including Disney’s A Christmas Carol, Alice In Wonderland and Tron. Special guests include Robert Zemeckis, Tim Burton, Sean Bailey, Steve Lisberger, and moderator Patton Oswalt. Hall H

12:45-1:45 Disney: Stan Lee's Time Jumper— Don't miss Stan Lee and Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment as they present a special sneak peek of their new digital motion comic series Time Jumper. Comic book legend Stan Lee is joined by Natasha Henstridge (one of the character voices in Time Jumper), Omar Ponce (writer), and Anthony Diecidue (artist) for a Q&A session. Room 6BCF

3:00-4:00 Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes— Join legendary Disney Animation producer Don Hahn, famed Disney animator Glen Keane, creator of Aladdin's Genie Eric Goldberg, director/teacher/animator Tom Sito, and Masked Avenger Studios owner and sculptor Ruben Procopio for a discussion of the life and influence of Disney mentor, trainer, and artist Walt Stanchfield. Room 32AB

Friday

11:30-12:30 Disney Press: Comics and Graphic Novels— Jordan Mechner, Prince of Persia creator and writer of the upcoming Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time graphic novel, and artists Todd McFarlane (Spawn), Cameron Stewart (Seaguy), Bernard Chang (Wonder Woman), and Tommy Lee Edwards (Daredevil) for a discussion and Q&A session. Plus, get a sneak peek at the upcoming Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time graphic novel, and an advance look at the book's connections to the secrets within the upcoming Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie. Panelists will also look into the future and announce some of Disney Book Group's upcoming graphic novels for 2010. Room 3

THIS IS THE BIG ONE I'M MOST EXCITED FOR:
12:45-2:15 Disney: Animation Panel— Walt Disney Pictures, Disney•Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios present a director panel with previously unseen footage from its upcoming animated slate, including Toy Story & Toy Story 2 – Double Feature, Beauty And The Beast, Toy Story 3, Prep & Landing, The Princess and the Frog and Ponyo. Special guests include Lee Unkrich, Kirk Wise, Ron Clements, John Musker, and Hayao Miyazaki. John Lasseter hosts the panel, with Patton Oswalt moderating. Hall H

1:00-2:00 BOOM! Studios— The BOOM! Studios team—Mark Waid, Ross Richie, Andrew Cosby, Matt Gagnon, and Chip Mosher—takes over Comic-Con for one full hour. Learn what is next for BOOM! History will be made. Heads will explode! Comics will never be the same again! Room 32AB PUBLISHER OF THE PIXAR COMICS

NO DISNEY RELATED STUFF ON SATURDAY

SUNDAY

10:00-11:00 Phineas & Ferb— Hey kids, whatcha doin'? Going to the Phineas and Ferb panel, that's what! Creators Dan Povenmire (Family Guy) and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh (Rocko's Modern Life) plus the voice of Phineas, Vincent Martella (Everybody Hates Chris) and other surprise guests from the show are on hand to tell you everything that's happening behind the scenes of Disney Channel and Disney XD's #1 animated series. You'll get to see sneak peeks of new episodes, new songs, plus prizes, giveaways, and juggling chainsaws (okay, maybe not that last one). Room 6DE

10:00-11:00 BOOM!: The Muppet Show— BOOM! Studios' bestselling sold-out The Muppet Show Comic Book took the industry by storm this spring. Roger Langridge's work on the series has been praised by all quarters and was quickly followed up by the bestselling sold-out Muppet Peter Pan, both series setting a new high bar for licensed properties coming to comics. Join a host of surprise guests to see what is next in the world of The Muppets! Room 32AB

2:00-3:00 Art of Pixar's Cars— Martin Arriola (Mattel), Ryan Gleason, (Mattel), Alan Porter (BOOM! Studios), and Ken Chang (Takefiveaday.com) present an inside peek at the art of the Cars world from the big screen to diecast to comic book series in this inspiring slideshow and Q&A session! Room 5AB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:18 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41789First reports from Ain't it Cool News regards Zemeckis commenting on potential Roger Rabbit sequel. The reporters comments about Pixar characters seems really dumb as they would be anachronistic in a Roger Rabbit movie.

Frankly, I don't particularly want a Roger Rabbit sequel. I think it would diminish the specialness of the original.

That link is being updated as more info is revealed right now. Burton's about to speak.

The official Tron title is TRON: LEGACY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

According to Twitter posts, Johnny Depp made a surprise appearance and of course the place went nuts.

Last edited by Brer Brandon on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:34 pm 
Diamond Edition

Brer Brandon wrote:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41789First reports from Ain't it Cool News regards Zemeckis commenting on potential Roger Rabbit sequel. The reporters comments about Pixar characters seems really dumb as they would be anachronistic in a Roger Rabbit movie.

Frankly, I don't particularly want a Roger Rabbit sequel. I think it would diminish the specialness of the original.

If Richard Williams is supervisor animator than I don't care what's done in Roger Rabbit sequel. His animation abilities is genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

True. I think my reservations lie in Zemeckis. I love everything he did in the 80s, but for the past decade most of his work has been mediocre at best. Your mileage may vary of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

Follow twitter.com/importantdate for some type of surprise announcement from Disney regarding Wonderland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/07/22/comic-con-preview-stan-lee-disney-team-up-for-time-jumper-motion-comic/

Stan Lee and Disney are teaming up for a new motion comic, Time Jumper. I had not heard of this but apparently the first part will be released tomorrow on iTunes. I'm not sure yet if I'll check this out or not. Probably depends on word of mouth. It could go either way. So far, I have not been impressed with the motion comic thing, but this will be the first piece I've seen that was created with the intention of it being a motion comic so maybe it will be different.

There is a trailer at the link above. Here is there description:
About Time Jumper:
Twenty-year-old college student Terry Dixon has the most unique mobile device on Earth -- the Articulus, a time travel device developed by Terry’s genius father, Arthur Dixon. To prevent the Articulus from falling into the wrong hands, Arthur coded it to work only with his DNA. After a laboratory experiment claims Arthur’s life, Terry and his older brother Sam become the only people capable of using it. Recruited into the secret crime fighting organization H.U.N.T. (Heroes United, Noble and True) after the mysterious disappearance of golden boy Sam, Terry becomes a reluctant hero living in his brother’s shadow. As he struggles to fill his new role, unnatural shifts in the course of history send Terry hurtling through time to capture Charity Vyle, the diabolical leader of criminal cartel C.U.L.T. (Council of Unstoppable, Lethal Terrorists). But something more than just Terry’s molecules are being reconfigured as he leaps across time, and it threatens to corrupt everything he understands about who he is, and whether the world is actually worth saving after all.

Two Special Guest Voice Talents:
Fans can look forward to two special voice talent cameos as part of this new, original digital motion comic series. One is Stan Lee himself, playing the voice of Lee Excelsior, CEO of H.U.N.T. Headquarters, and the other is actress Natasha Henstridge (Species, Eli Stone, The Whole Nine Yards) who plays the voice of Charity Vyle, the evil, smart and seductive female villain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 pm 
Anniversary Edition

I went to the "Drawn to Life" one. It was pretty cool, but somewhat boring at times. It was just fun to hear them telling their random stories.

I got some interesting Princess and the Frog tarot-esque game cards... :) yay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

I was hoping we might get to hear from people who are at the Con. I hadn't been able to find any information coming out of that panel so thank you for your report! It sounded like it would be neat to go to. I've seen those Tarot cards from someone on Twitter. She said she received them at a movie theater but I have not seen them around here, at least not yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:51 am 
Collector's Edition

I knew Robert was going to stick with a 2-D Roger! As for me, I would love to see a Roger Rabbit sequel (it's kinda long overdue from my perspective.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:20 am 
Gold Classic Collection

Here is a write-up specifically on Tron: Legacy. Contains some spoilers (even in the headline) but has a cool picture of the new Tron cycle.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/24/comic-con-tron-legacy-has-an-80s-flashback-sequence/

Alice in Wonderland reactions and Q&A with Tim Burton. Also may contain some spoilers. http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/23/comic-con-alice-in-wonderland-teaser-trailer-and-qa-with-tim-burton/

Also ImportantDate tweeted this this morning:
Tea Party will be held at 338 7th ave, between J & K st. Invitations are required, and may be picked up at the same location, from 8 - 10 am

Seems to be some kind of Comic-Con tea party. If anyone gets to go please let us know.

Edited to add:
Tron: Legacy concept art shown at the Con:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41791

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm 
Anniversary Edition

oh please I hope to god if they make a Roger Rabbit that it's as good as the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

For anyone at Comic-Con, I just read that D23 has a booth (#3917) that has costumes from the Disney Archives including items from Rocketeer, Condorman, and Tron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:22 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

This is all coming from Twitter sources so my apologies for the brevity of the information.
LIVE from Comic-Con the Disney/Pixar animation panel:

John Lasseter "Is my shirt loud enough?"

-Toy Story 2 footage in 3D
-Beauty and the Beast in theaters in 3D next Valentine's Day
-Ken (as in & Barbie) will be in Toy Story 3 voiced by Michael Keaton
-"We believe in the animated short. They help us develop talent and technology." - John Lasseter
-John Lasseter "For Toy Story 3 it's a totally different emotional core that this movie has. We're really excited for it. "
-New Christmas story short called Prep & Landing preview being shown. Coming to ABC this holiday season ---This isn't really new news but I guess this is the first footage to be shown.
-Musker and Clements discuss Princess and the Frog:
- 7 original songs by Randy Newman
-This is someone on Twitter's reaction to a song---"ReTweet from @kateyrich Villain's song is like a cross between "Never Had A Friend Like Me" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls." I like it."
-Hayao Miyazaki receives a standing ovation
-"My process is thinking, thinking, and thinking. If you have a better way, please tell me!" Miyazaki
-"Ponyo is a simple story" - Miyazaki wanted to show simplicity through the colors.
-John Lasseter: "I'm gushing because I'm sitting next to Hayao Miyazaki."
- Hayao Miyazaki "The first idea for Ponyo is that the little boy picks up a frog. But i couldn't work out a good character for a frog, so i turned it into a gold fish. "

It must be over by now, but I'll add to this post if I see anything else.

UPDATED TO ADD:
Exclusive SDCC Princess and the Frog footage:
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=106107354982&h=EqF7Y&u=tg2WS&ref=mf

WAIT THERE'S MORE:
-Miyazaki showed a clip.
-Patton Oswalt is moderating a Q&A portion that's seems to just be getting underway.
-Patton Oswalt Q&A with Disney/Pixar team. He suggest Gaston's body hair be featured prominently in the 3D version.
-LIVE John Lasseter "You can expect a lot more from the studio posting content and information online. We have a lot of content."
-FOR THOSE IN SD: There is a screening of Ponyo at Pacific Gaslamp Theater at 8pm tonight. Miyazaki will introduce it!

Last edited by Brer Brandon on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 pm 
Platinum Edition

That new Princess and the Frog video is great! The new scenes are awesome, but I am sure people will criticize them (one scene has three hillbillies trying to ward off froggy Tiana and Naveen in a manner similar to Sebastian's fight with Chef Louie in Little Mermaid).

Its great that Miyazaki made the rare appearance in the states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wonder Why would John say the whole voice cast returns for Toy Story 3, when that isn't possible for obvious reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:21 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

Well, I think it's easy to assume that was meaning the living cast members, but then I don't recall him saying that at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

Its on Pixar's twitter, along with the barbie comment. Brandon must have left it out when paraphrasing.

Edit: the full quote goes like this, "For Toy Story 3 we have the entire voice cast return. Barbie is back and in a much larger roll along side Ken"

Im anxious to know what they'll do for wheezie and lenny. replace voice actor(s), have them show up but not talk, or write the characters out completly. I'd also like to know more about the guy they found for slinky. give us a name. maybe let attendees hear an audio sample of his Varney impersonation. or maybe he's been in other movies/tv shows where he sounds similair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 pm 
Collector's Edition

I got to go on Thursday. It was awesome. I went to the 3D Panel and yes, Johnny Depp made a surprise visit. It was very exciting. I also got to go to the Drawn to Life panel discussion, which was neat. There wasn't time to get to the Stan Lee event. The D23 table was very cool and I was glad to receive my free gift for being a member. The coolest part of the event for me was the Flynn Lives event for Tron Legacy. It was a surprise thing they did. At 9:30, we met on the street and they handed us paper and a black light. We had to run around San Diego looking for Flynn Lives posters and when we found them, we had to scan them with our lights to find the codes. The codes turned into a map that lead us to Flynn's Arcare, where we got to play games for about 15 minutes. When somebody beat the Tron game, the wall opened up and we got to go into the world of Tron. They had one of the light bikes on display and as we exited, they gave us Flynn's Arcade t-shirts and posters and game coins. It was the best viral marketing I've ever seen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:26 am 
Gold Classic Collection

That sounds so cool goofystitch! I kept reading references to something going on with Flynn Lives tokens and an arcade but never could get a full description.

I so wish I could be there!

Thanks for the clarification Kyle. I thought that sounded familiar but it wasn't in my paraphrasing and I couldn't find it on the Twitter feed when I was posting earlier. Those are definitely things to think about. Probably a poor choice of words for Lasseter or maybe just a casualty to the brevity needed for Twitter.

EDITED TO ADD:
twitter.com/disneypictures has tweeted links to pictures of Alice In Wonderland costumes.