Disney's biggest bombs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Disney's biggest bombs

Post by Disneyphile »

As many of you are aware, "Mars Needs Moms" is on its way to becoming one of the biggest failures in Disney history. What other movies do you think were the worst performers?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Rocket Man?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: Disney's biggest bombs

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disneyphile wrote:As many of you are aware, "Mars Needs Moms" is on its way to becoming one of the biggest failures in Disney history. What other movies do you think were the worst performers?
Well...if you're talking Disney's Live Action Movies as of the past 10 years I would have probably a longer list....

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

Chicken Little :roll:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

AliceinWonderland wrote:Chicken Little :roll:
why? It made over $300 million worldwide?

A Bomb or flop should be judged on how much money was lost.

I mean, Burton's Alice in Wonderland was a pretty terrible film but it made over a billion dollars worldwide so no one complains. Chicken Little was not a flop.
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Chicken Little comes to my mind as the biggest bomb. Pooh's Heffalump Movie is a REALLY close second.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975).....after disastrous first week returns, Cinderella had to be added to the bill to get anyone to come into the theatres....
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

avonleastories95 wrote:Chicken Little comes to my mind as the biggest bomb.
Production Budget: $150 million

Worldwide Box Office: $314,432,837
US DVD Sales: $142,309,850

how did this film bomb?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Black Cauldron, Home on the Range and Treasure Planet, anyone?

Fantasia was famously a failure when it first came out, but later made a profit after a number of re-issues (we can thank the 1960's MJ-consuming crowd for that).

The Rocketeer also did poorly, which is a shame, because it's really very good.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I think what really classifies this one a bomb is how much money was put into it. I can't really seeing the point of including a direct-to-video sequel like <i>Cinderella II</i>, 'cause those were made for next to nothing.

Anyone seen <i>MNM</i> yet? I have little to no interest, personally.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Chicken Little is one of my favorite modern Disney movies for its fun, humor, charm, and sense of relatability (to Chicken Little's personal troubles), and financially it was one of the more successful ones (remember Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, etc.?).

Considering its cost, Mars Needs Mom's is my guess at being one of Disney's biggest flops.

Newsies is an interesting film to consider however. It probably didn't cost too much to make, but it lasted in theaters for an extremely short time. I managed to see it twice in my theater before it was gone after the first week. Later it found its audience on home video, and it has gained a cult following of sorts, but initially it must have seemed like a flop to the studio.
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

It must be something because I've not heard of MNM, whereas everything else is known to me...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not sure about TP and HOTR, but the article that was posted recently about TBC says it made back all its production costs. It didn't make much profit, but it's not really a bomb if it didn't end up costing the studio anything.

Still, I guess TP, Atlantis and TBC are all bombs in the sense that Disney expected them to be huge and they failed to be.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^You sure about Black Cauldron? That one only made back half its budget.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

As PatrickvD has pointed out TWICE, some of you are mistaking a "bomb" for something you personally didn't like. You can call a movie whatever you like, but the term bomb is related to box office performance and Chicken Little, while not a blockbuster, is NOT considered a bomb.

Treasure Planet however - $140 million budget, and a WORLDWIDE gross of only $109 million. = bomb.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Didn't Alice in Wonderland also bomb on its debut? So much so that they had to re-release Snow White to make back its loss?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I think the most recent "bomb" I can recall, while technically not Disney, was The Wild. So much money went into that thing, and it was in production for Years. If I remember right they were still making changes Durring the animation phase which is a big no no. I think at best it made its money back, but I don't think they even got that much.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Box Office Bombs - like the title suggests, are films that do so bad that their creation are destructive. So we're aren't simply talking about mild failures, but extreme failures. Some Box Office Bombs even force the division that made them close down, like the division who made The Spirits Within.

Anyhow, I had a dream about MMM! I was thinking "WHO GREENLIT THIS?!" they should be fired :wink:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I might go see this in the week, but only at the $4 show but even then, I'm a little under the weather and I do plan on buying it when it comes to Bluray combo pack provided there is a coupon for it...no coupon no sale and even then, It would need to be a $15 coupon possibly to buy it.....if I like it which I doubt ....although my Preacher said this after I said these words: Disney Re-Make Beatles Yellow Submuarine..: LEAVE IT ALONE!!! Which I agree and Maybe MNM will be the tool to get traditional animation back or quality the degree of Tangled in CGI Animation.... Although honesty when I think of the letters MNM I think of this....

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

DisneyJedi wrote:^You sure about Black Cauldron? That one only made back half its budget.
Nah, it made back its budget and much more. The only figures I can find are $25M budget and $21M US cinema revenue. Factor in the international markets and home releases, and I'm sure it probably made at least double the budget back. Depends if the budget figure also accounts for promotional costs or not.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...