DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm 
Collector's Edition

IagoZazu wrote:
It's surprising how much I understood what was going on in HOND after my kid years. In fact, I found it more disturbing watching it grown up then as a little kid.

i agree. hellfire scares me witless now, but when i first watched it in the cinema it was just another song. i was 11 when it came out. another bit that gives me chills is the scene just after frollo traps esmerelda in the cathedral and pulls her arm behind her. makes me feel sick.

i love the soundtrack, with the exception of guy like you. the opening song always gives me goosebumps, no matter how loud or quiet the volume is. i hate the gargoyle song, and compare it to upendi from LK2. both are out of place for the feel of the movie. both could have been good if the characters were acting a bit more serious. guy like you could have worked well as a gargoyle solo [maybe laverne?] instead of the broadway musical it turned into.

the gargoyles, i do like them, but their humor could have been better timed and maybe less obvious. whats a truss, by the way? thats one joke ive never got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm 

sunhuntin wrote:
IagoZazu wrote:

the gargoyles, i do like them, but their humor could have been better timed and maybe less obvious. whats a truss, by the way? thats one joke ive never got.

A bandage and belt used to hold a hernia in place.

Wikipedia is our friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 pm 
Gold Collection

Scarred4life wrote:
I just watched this movie for the first time since my childhood, and absolutely loved it. (And understood it :P ) This movie is....... wow. Simply amazing. I love the animation, the songs, and the voices. (Especially Tony Jay).

The gargoyles are a necessary part of the film, whether you like it or not. True, some of their humour was out of place, but at least it wasn't Timon and Pumbaa's type of humour. I don't hate them, I just think they could have been better. And 'A Guy Like You' came at the worst time possible. They already had 'Heaven's Light', so 'A Guy Like You' was not needed. Back to the gargoyles, I think that they were real. They interact with people at the battle, and Hugo appears in front of Djali. I would have preferred them to be figments of Quasi's imagination, because anybody who has lived alone their whole life has to have had some way of coping.

I think the ending works. It wasn't completely happy, Quasi didn't end up with Esmeralda, but he was accepted by the villagers. It was bittersweet, and really worked for the film.

And of course, the villain is amazing. Frollo is frighteningly real, doesn't feel any remorse, and doesn't even know what he is doing is wrong.

I must say, this movie is my favourite movie ever. I absolutely love it.

One more thing, does anyone else find it weird that their is this big pit of burning oil, which Frollo falls into, and then as soon as Quasi, Esmeralda, and Phoebus walk outside, it's gone?

<Has anyone noticed that when Frollo visits Quasi, and he says Festival, Frollo chokes on his wine, but his goblet is still lying on the table, untouched?>

I agree with you exactly. You said it all my friend. This is my favorite movie of all time.

About the gargoyles. I actually think a Guy Like You is needed. I actually think it is a good song but for me it is the undertones. I just see a whole bunch of undertones that a lot of people miss in that song. First it shows that Quasi's life is just miserable for two reasons. One he has to be with these guys every single day and 2 every time he get's his hopes up they are crushed. He gets his hopes up that he will be with Esmeralda but she ends up with Pheobus. It shows that Quasi could never be happy at that point which makes his pain and grief and longing all the more believable.
I also love the timing of that song because it emphasizes what I said earlier about him being miserable. Right after the song is over Esmeralda kisses Pheobus. It makes the song actually depressing to me because he will be just let down in the next scene. The song is needed to emphasize Quasi is just downright miserable.

Again Hunchback of Notre Dame bets movie of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 pm 
Collector's Edition

Good to see you around, zackiellovedisney! Haven't seen you around for a while.

Anyways, about HOND, it is a great classic, but people I know tend to avoid it. Maybe because the source text is too offensive? Or could children be absolutely terrified? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm 
Gold Collection

Check this comment out from some stupid woman/man at Blue Ray.com

Refering to the film:

Quote:
"I can't believe you liked that trash. We took our very young girls (4-8 at the time) when this came out and I must say we left right after the "lust" scene! Disney died that day for me.....that film was just terrible. Not for children at all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:39 pm 
Platinum Edition

Link, please. I'd like to give her a piece of my mind. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Aqua wrote:
Check this comment out from some stupid woman/man at Blue Ray.com

Refering to the film:

Quote:
"I can't believe you liked that trash. We took our very young girls (4-8 at the time) when this came out and I must say we left right after the "lust" scene! Disney died that day for me.....that film was just terrible. Not for children at all....

Well, you gotta remember the people at BD.com aren't necessarily Disney fans. That person is probably of the belief that the only quality family entertainment is something like "Mister Rogers Neighborhood". Just pure ignornance.

But part of me doesn't feel right disussing a forum member on another forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Aqua wrote:
Quote:

:cry: Why can't people see? :P. Some of these moms are way too overprotective. My sister is 8, and my mom has no problem letting her watch Hunchback. She knows that my sister will understand when she is old enough to know.

zackieIlovedisney, you're absolutely right about 'A Guy Like You'. I never thought about it that way. It does become depressing the second time around. (The first time you don't know what happens.)

Last edited by Scarred4life on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:
I can't believe you liked that trash. We took our very young girls (4-8 at the time) when this came out and I must say we left right after the "lust" scene! Disney died that day for me.....that film was just terrible. Not for children at all....

Yeah, like 4-8 year olds get what that "lust"-part is about! :lol:

These puritans make me so sick. They're hurting their children. Repressive environments have been proven to have a very negative influence on kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:51 pm 
Gold Collection

Quote:
I can't believe you liked that trash. We took our very young girls (4-8 at the time) when this came out and I must say we left right after the "lust" scene! Disney died that day for me.....that film was just terrible. Not for children at all....

What an extrordinary ignorant remark-this is like Idiocracy on crack!--Claude Frollo's temptation re his celibacy is one of the central themes of Victor Hugos novel. What did she expect?- fairy godmothers and glass slippers? Somebody needs to tell these people Disney is not a religion its a movie studio. In Australia that scene WAS cut during its theatrical run- without it Frollo's motivation seems rather odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Mr arrow wrote:
Quote:

What an extrordinary ignorant remark-this is like Idiocracy on crack!

:lol:

Mr arrow wrote:
In Australia that scene WAS cut during its theatrical run- without it Frollo's motivation seems rather odd.

They cut out "Hellfire" in the Australian release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm 
Special Edition

Mr arrow wrote:
Quote:

What an extrordinary ignorant remark-this is like Idiocracy on crack!--Claude Frollo's temptation re his celibacy is one of the central themes of Victor Hugos novel. What did she expect?- fairy godmothers and glass slippers? Somebody needs to tell these people Disney is not a religion its a movie studio. In Australia that scene WAS cut during its theatrical run- without it Frollo's motivation seems rather odd.

I was about to express my disbelief untill I checked the classification database. You're right - the 1996 classification was rated G and was 89
minuites long. It was reclassified PG In 1999 at 91 mins. I guess they weren't able to strongarm the classification board and just decided to cut it for marketing purposes which is disgusting. These days they'd add stuff just to make it PG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 pm 
Gold Collection

All I can ever think of when it comes to a situtation like this is Helen Lovejoy from The Simpsons screaming:

"Won't someone please think of the children!!!!!!!!!!"

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 pm 
Special Edition

Philo & Gunge wrote:
IagoZazu wrote:

A bandage and belt used to hold a hernia in place.

Wikipedia is our friend.

I didn't post that, Sunhutin did.

About the gargoyles, I never thought they spoiled the movie at all. Sure, their humor is a little over the top for sidekicks, but otherwise they don't make a big deal other than the timing of their song. I understand what ZackielloveDisney is saying about it, but I still think it's too close to Heaven's Light and Hellfire. It also lightens up the movie right after Frollo goes on his Esmerelda hunt.

I don't understand why so many people think kids are such sissys. As much as I heard tales of kids being scared of villains, I know there are just as many other kids that can watch them just fine or even think they're cool. I know that when I was a kid, I was never afraid of any Disney Villain. I might have even loved it when during the final battle the villain turns into a monster like Jafar, Ursula, or Maleficent. This generalization of kids being so prone to fright is not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 am 
Platinum Edition

Quote:

Mr arrow wrote:

What an extrordinary ignorant remark-this is like Idiocracy on crack!

Well....I heard there is talk for legal Weed in the USA that rymes with farshaka (I just can't spell it...and I don't feel like looking it up) :P

or maybe they were drinking some really old cola :P

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am 
Collector's Edition

i dont recall hellfire being cut from the film that was shown in new zealand. i think i would have noticed a new song... i certainly noticed the longer "if i never knew you' in pocahontas, and the different colors in lion king.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am 
Platinum Edition

sunhuntin wrote:
i dont recall hellfire being cut from the film that was shown in new zealand. i think i would have noticed a new song... i certainly noticed the longer "if i never knew you' in pocahontas, and the different colors in lion king.

sunhuntin - Here's a tip...be very cautious when bringing up "different colors" in any piece of Disney Animation....it can literally turn into a very bad fight around these parts of the cyberspace of the online world :P

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 am 
Collector's Edition

disneyboy20022 wrote:
sunhuntin - Here's a tip...be very cautious when bringing up "different colors" in any piece of Disney Animation....it can literally turn into a very bad fight around these parts of the cyberspace of the online world :P

lol. the colors im thinking were changed for the imax release. [the waterfall scene springs to mind, but there could be more. been a while since i watched it]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mr arrow wrote:
In Australia that scene WAS cut during its theatrical run- without it Frollo's motivation seems rather odd.

I didn't know they still did that kind of censoring in 20th century Western countries. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 pm 
Special Edition

Goliath wrote:
Mr arrow wrote:

I didn't know they still did that kind of censoring in 20th century Western countries. :o

Disney wanted a G.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next