DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
“We got a call from Jeffrey Katzenburg like ‘You guys, you gotta drop what you’re doing. This project is gonna change your life.’ And that’s how we got Hunchback,” Gary Trousdale shared about how their next project began. “We were working on a project about humpback whales so we went from humpbacks to Hunchbacks,” Kirk Wise joked. “The biggest challenge for me was staying true to the tone and the spirit of the original novel. Honoring the versions that had come before it, and at the same time making it feel like a Disney animated feature. That was the challenge throughout the production. Fortunately, I think a lot of critics agreed. We managed to maintain true to the original source material. I think a lot of people were surprised.”

“We were kind of worried that, because this is such beloved literature in France… we’re trumping all over it with our big Disney boots,” Gary Trousdale shared about their concerns with going too far with the material. “We want to honor it, but it is a Disney cartoon, so it’s finding that balance. Ultimately, we heard that France really accepted it… they didn’t get upset with us for taking liberties.”

“I remember our research trip to Paris,” Kirk Wise reflected. “Me, Gary, and a whole team of artists basically crawled all over medieval Paris… and I remember part of that experience was sitting in Notre Dame cathedral and listening to an organ music recital… this organ, you could feel it in your chest, it gave me goosebumps.”

“It’s always fun to throw little details in that reward repeat viewings of the films and we knew going into the age of home video… that people would be watching these movies over and over,” Kirk Wise shared. “And it was never to put anything subversive in the films. It was always with a sense of fun. The chuckle someone might get seeing Belle walk through medieval Paris.” Gary added to that same shot from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. “That same scene also has the magic carpet and Pumba. Gary added one final Easter Egg that few people have spotted from Hunchback. “On the top of Notre Dame cathedral, in the last shot as the camera pulls away, the statues are Buzz and Woody. They’re very hard to see in the film.” Kirk Wise shared his limits on what he will and won't approve for Easter Eggs. “I think the limit for me is it needs to be a fun little touch, like a little bit of seasoning on a repeat viewing, but it can’t distract from the main movie.”
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:47 am 
Platinum Edition

That's such cool info! I'm glad they worried about the tone and spirit of the original and the movies that came before and wanted France to love it, and then they accepted it! I love that they put stuff in that they hope people will see on repeat viewings.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

I never knew about Buzz and Woody in-film reference before.

Whitney Houston ~ "Count On Me"
Celine Dion ~ "Ashes"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 am 
Collector's Edition

In Sweden the guy who voiced Quasimodo later went on to voice Squidward in the Swedish dub of Spongebob and also ddubbed Chris Rock in Doctoir Dolittle, He also took over the vopice of Sleepy for the Disaney Channel show 7D :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:21 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ok now I really need a screencap of gargoyle Woody and Buzz. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney’s ‘Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Directors Discuss Mandy Patinkin’s Disastrous Audition
https://collider.com/disney-hunchback-o ... meat-loaf/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Haha, that was a funny story! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:21 am 
Platinum Edition

Just the idea of Meatloaf as the hunchback of Notre Dame just makes me LOL. That audition was definitely an interesting read, although I haven't seen anything Patinkin's acted in to know him. Funnily enough, just a couple years later Patinkin starred as a different version of Quasimodo in a TV movie.

Whitney Houston ~ "Count On Me"
Celine Dion ~ "Ashes"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10