DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
Gold Collection

I'm only dissapointed because we are only getting 2 releases. I know these are pricer and have more content than 3 would.... I liked the varied nature of the waves as well... so this one is a slight dissapointment... but still... it's way better than no Treasures at all!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:57 pm 
Collector's Edition

:roll:
I thought that I had the right to voice my opinion as everyone else?
Or what....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:55 pm 
Gold Collection

I wish they would release the House of Mouse-series in a tin. And DuckTales. And Mickey Mouse Works. And the Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan, Hercules and Timon & Pumbaa series.

As you can see, I'm an animation series fan. :lol:

My Disney Collection

My DVD Collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:09 pm 
Special Edition

Chernabog wrote:
:roll:
Or what....?

I think you have the right to be angry.

Disney entices us to buy these things as exclusives through the Movie Club...which is really the only reason I joined.

And then they double-dipped us on this one, and really quickly, too.

I think if they would have waited a little bit longer before doing this as we just got the colorized Season 2 a few months back.

Of course, I being a lemming, will purchase this in the hopes that there are some hidden wonderful bonus features included.

But, I feel your pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

After thinking about it, I am actually really excited to not only have both seasons in their original black & white, but to also have the third season and bonus features included.

I think the price is actually very reasonable, considering that each is a 6-disc set for $59.99 and on top of that, most stores won't sell it at SRP during the first week, so if you get it right away, it should be cheaper.

However, I do understand people's anger over the release. To me, the Treasures sets were always so highly anticipated because they were mostly unreleased content. 90% of these sets have already been released. Disney knew the sets were popular from the DMC because of how much they would sell for on eBay and how fast they sold out on DMR. It does seem kind of rotten of them to release the series the proper way (in black & white with bonus features) after fans of the show already dropped around $120 to own them in the first place.

As one of the people who currently owns the DMC sets, I plan to sell them. I bought the first season as individual volumes (before the whole set was available) and have watched each disc once. I have not seen the second season. I bought it and opened the outer case, but the individual discs are still wrapped, so if anybody is interested, PM me. Otherwise I'll be putting the set up on eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

Chernabog wrote:
Or what....?

It's not that you don't have the right, everyone has the right to their opinion.

It's just the opinion of others that it's ridiculous for some to complain that Disney should stop the series altogether just because one wave doesn't satisfy what they wanted to have released.

Of course, you may have a differing opinion, which you are welcome to.

Personally, I'd rather Disney realize there *is* a market for their vintage television and theatrical material OUTSIDE of a limited-produced Treasures set. It's frustrating for new Disney fans to want something like "Davy Crockett" and have to settle for the two-movie collection because the Treasures set with the full episodes are out of print. And it's even more frustrating that there are scalpers out there who take advantage of this by charging an arm-and-a-leg for two-disc sets that some people have either never known existed, or got into the Treasures-collecting game late and can't buy them in stores anymore.

albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
Gold Collection

Since they're okay with doing larger sets, I hope they decide to put out the 2 remaining Spin & Marty serials and the 2nd (and last) Hardy Boys one too. They could even put them in a single 6-disc set like these Zorro ones.

Well, maybe they'll make them barebones Disney Club Exclusives at some point... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:37 pm 
Special Edition

Not that i'm saying they will, but would there still be time for Disney to fast track a third volume for this wave? I just know some of the negative reactions, the majority it seems are positive, but I just wondered if they might be able to throw together a set, like Rarities 2 or something along those lines, minus restoration i'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:06 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

chadhobbick wrote:
Not that i'm saying they will, but would there still be time for Disney to fast track a third volume for this wave? I just know some of the negative reactions, the majority it seems are positive, but I just wondered if they might be able to throw together a set, like Rarities 2 or something along those lines, minus restoration i'm sure.

I don't think the kind of folks who are upset at the lack of variety in this wave would feel much better with a "thrown together" set of anything. If they aren't going to restore and put effort into it, we'd rather wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

While I'm not overly impressed with the fact that it's only going to be two Zorro tins this year instead of 3 variety ones I'm still going to buy them because I'll take what I can get. I don't have anything for Zorro on dvd, so this is the perfect opportunity for me to get them even though I'll have to really start saving my pennies this year to get them.

My DA site :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 am 
Special Edition

[quote="goofystitch"]After thinking about it, I am actually really excited to not only have both seasons in their original black & white, but to also have the third season and bonus features included.

I think the price is actually very reasonable, considering that each is a 6-disc set for $59.99 and on top of that, most stores won't sell it at SRP during the first week, so if you get it right away, it should be cheaper.quote]

YES FINALLY THE OFFICIAL NEWS. (yea i know im late but I havent had time to visit here much in recent weeks). Im actually VERY excited to read about this wave! I agree with the poster I quoted above that this is actually a great deal. You are getting the complete series of this classic Disney show for a little over $100 at most! As he noted chances are we will be able to find it even cheaper as most stores offer DVDs at prices below the SRP.

I also agree with some other posters who are encouraged by the way this set has been released! This opens new possibilities for future releases such as larger sets of Disneyland TV show Movies (HELLO Horsemasters and Escapade in Florence), Wonderful World of Color (HELLO Von Drake and those wanting educational shorts) or a Complete (or the remaining) HB and Spin and Marty set! In my eyes the way Zorro is being released in such a complete way it shows that maybe Disney realises that the way they released both Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca in such a incomplete way wasnt the best move and its been a lesson learned.

ANYWAY Cant wait for this set....and AS A VERY FRIENDLY REMINDER :) ...........START SAVING YOUR MONEY....AND BUY EARY!!!!! I dont want to see any whining on here over how anyone missed out on this ***Complete Series Set*** which im sure will FLY off shelves much like Dr Syn did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:55 am 
Gold Collection

I think I'll skip buying from this set, I am not that interested in Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:47 am 
Banned

I'll admit that I wish Disney tossed in another WDT with Zorro 2 seasons. I also with Escapay bout buyin the 2 seasons in the 1st week of the release for a cheap price.

Zorro is a classic well known TV show even before Anitino Bendarias (sp?) made his mark as the 2000 Zorro, I recall getin up at 4am-7am to watch the Classic Disney tv shows on Disney Channel and was entranced by the character development along with the adventure side of the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 am 
Platinum Edition

I'm happy that they're releasing the whole series in its original black & white...I'm not not interested in Zorro, but it's not something I'll rush out and get.

I do think that it's pretty stinky that Disney could've have held off on releasing the colorized DVDs, but we all know that Disney wants everyone to double- and triple-dip on everything. :roll:

As I said in my last post, I really am worried for the future of the Treasures. This wave, more than any other previous wave, is so specialized, that it might sell worse than any other wave. For some people who usually buy the Treasures, they might scoff at the price tag (even though it'd be about the same as buying 4 normal-priced Treasures).

Do any of you think that it would've been better to release Season 1 of Zorro in this wave, and 2 other sets in this wave, and then next wave they could release Season 2 of Zorro?

Has Disney wanted the Treasures to die shortly? I know that there has been talk before of "Oh no, will we get another wave?!?", and maybe Disney knows that Zorro fans will buy this, but that the average DVD buyer (i.e., casual Disney fan) is more likely to buy Mickey Mouse cartoon sets or the Disneyland set- things that have more name-recogniztion than Zorro. Baby boomers surely will be interested, even if they're not usually interested in Disney titles, but people born in the late 1960s onward might not really know anything about Zorro, and they might not want to spend SRP $59.99 on a set they're unfamiliar with.

I'm hoping that the wave sells well enough to bring a wave next year. Disney still has loose ends to tie up. Will there ever be another set with Elgego Baca & the Swamp Fox? That's another set that I haven't bought, but it sucks for those who have been waiting years for the rest of those series.

The two I'm most anticipating are the educational shorts and a Von Drake set, but if SOTS were to be released through the Treasures, obviously I'd be extremely interested in that, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Special Edition

Well, as a longtime Zorro fan, I am thrilled to have both complete seasons and the 4 hour-long episodes in B&W and with bonus features, but I also empathize with the frustration of those who bought the colorized DMC sets, having bought both sets as a DMC member myself. So in the end, Disney will have roughly $240 of my money spent on Zorro products; thus, while my bank account is not happy, the completist Zorro afficiando in me is.

Since they are Treasures releases, I really hope the restoration work is superior because the colorized episodes look terrible.

I know that there are those who are disappointed by this wave, and I have only two, admittedly optimistic, observations which largely reinforce what has been already said:

1. At least there is a confirmed Wave 9 now, and where there is a 9 there is always the possibility of a 10...and even an 11....

2. Remembering how Annette was asked to pinch hit for Destino, there is also still time for Disney to add additional sets to Wave 9.

Darby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:27 pm 
Gold Collection

I won't be purchasing the Zorro sets as I'm not a fan of the series, but I am happy for those that are. What I wish for is a Treasure set celebrating Walt Disney World. That would be wonderful. It could include the opening Gala special and so much more.

I'm very happy that the Treasures line has continued this long. Looking forward to more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am 
Limited Edition

I just watched "Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic" all the way through for the first time, and it was awesome. I'm really hoping for a Disney World tin soon or more Disneyland. Also, I'd like "Song of the South," but that's pretty much obvious. Haha. "People and Places" would also probably be a good tin. Hopefully, Disney will announce 2 more tins since "Zorro" probably won't do too well on its own (although I will be asking for those for my birthday which is exactly a week after the release). :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm 

I am not really interested in Zorro so I won't be getting these but by no means am I upset about it. I am happy for all the people who have been waiting for this release and I hope they enjoy it. Sounds like a nice set.

I will be getting my Treasures fix in June (and for anyone else who is interested), The Complete Goofy gets a release in the UK for R2 in June. Since I don't have this, I will pick it up then!

Cover art and write up over at TVShowsonDVD.com: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Zorro- ... nd-2/11858

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think Disney will be quite pleased with how these Zorro sets sell. Like I said, they ran a survey against titles that had already been released, and Zorro won hands down in part because it was the only title people recognized. A lot of people wanted it, and most people flat out said they had no interest in titles like Dr. Syn, Annette, and, well, Davy Crockett didn't do super badly. And I'm not talking about the folks like me who said they were only interested in Zorro the most because they already had the others, I'm talking about the other folks who aren't Treasures addicts.

That's the problem really. The Treasures are for the collector's market, but Disney is never satisfied with catering to the collector's market. That is why we don't see high-end stuff at the Disney Store much anymore. They're trying to do it with D23, but they are also trying to gouge the collectors with it because they think they can. And I doubt D23 will last all THAT long, either, unless an amazing number of people are satisfied with very little for a lot of money. But I digress. The point is, it's very frustrating that Disney chooses to ask random people what they want to see from future Treasures releases rather than, say, Treasures collectors specifically. I am one of very few Treasure buyers in that forum, and they seem way more interested in the soccer moms and such. Not surprising, just frustrating.

But the fact is that Zorro has a much wider appeal than any of the usual Treasures material, possibly even than most of the collections of shorts. It's Zorro. He did have two big screen releases not too long ago. As some have said, these sets will probably sell out just as the Dr. Syn sets did. If anything will hurt their sales, it will probably be the fact that many Zorro fans already have Zorro sets from the DMC, but I still think it will sell out.

And, yeah, maybe these new, larger sets are a sign of Disney having more interest/confidence in the Treasures, and maybe we'll even see commercials for these Zorro sets. Larger sets, though I fear they might be too pricey for me to keep up with as well as the past sets, do open up a lot of possibilities. A shame they decided to touch upon Swamp Fox and Baca back in the 2-disc days. However, until I see a wave following this one, I will always be wary that any changes to the line could be a sign of an end, especially a wave that is entirely focused on one topic, which makes one feel like maybe they think this is all they have left to give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 pm 
Special Edition

^ What is this forum that you are talking about??? Maybe all of the UD Treasure fans need to head over there and contribute our two cents!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next