Walt Disney Treasures Wave IX Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Zorro on DVD - Season One and Season Two

Post by dvdjunkie »

Coming Soon.net has just announced the release of Walt Disney's Zorro, the complete first and second seasons on DVD. Think I will have to get in line for these, even though they will be full-screen mastered.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Already discussed here, Bill:

Walt Disney Treasures Wave IX Discussion

;)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I know, but I thought it was strange that they would put these out ahead of the WDT schedule. That means we will have six WDT's to choose from, doesn't it?

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

The only Treasures this year are the "Zorro" season sets actually. :)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Re: Zorro on DVD - Season One and Season Two

Post by goofystitch »

dvdjunkie wrote:Think I will have to get in line for these, even though they will be full-screen mastered.
Fullscreen is the only way they should be presented. It's how they were filmed and originally broadcast.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

I found these reviews at amazon.com, which reveals the number of tins produced.
The Complete First Season is the definitive version that Disney Zorro fans have waited years for. Covering all 39 episodes that comprise season #1 (1957-1958), this limited edition (and numbered) 6-disc set of 30,000 includes a Certificate of Authenticity, a collectible pin (showing two crossed silver swords with Zorro's mask superimposed on top), as well as a black-and-white photo postcard showing Guy Williams in character as Don Diego. A booklet outlining the contents of the set can also be found here. The set comes handsomely encased in a black metal tin, fitting of this B&W series where the hero wears an all-black costume.

A 5:21 intro by Leonard Maltin introduces the episodes and gives a brief history of Zorro and these particular episodes along with the extras on these discs. The remastering is evident on these episodes. The picture is clear and so is the sound; naturally, with the way it was originally recording, a digital surround experience is not possible, but the Dolby Digital recording is crisp, clear, and the score sounds better than it has in years. And no...there are no colorized versions here. Just the genuine black and white originals. The comedy, action, drama, and music combination that one expects from a Walt Disney production is all here, completed with a stellar cast. Guy Williams, Gene Sheldon, and Henry Calvin have fantastic chemistry. Williams' hero Zorro, who is a "bookish" Don Diego by day, becomes the black-caped & masked legend who rights wrongs in his "off hours."

Besides the 39 episodes (starting with "Presenting Señor Zorro", original air date of 10/10/1957 and finishing with #39 "The Eagle's Flight", original air date of 7/3/1958), there is a 6th disc of bonus material. Here you will find 2 hour long episodes:

1. "Zorro: El Bandido," original air date of 10/30/1960, from Walt's anthology TV series "Walt Disney Presents." Clocking in at 51:10, this episode features Gilbert Roland & Rita Moreno, not long before her breakthrough role in "West Side Story."

2. "Zorro: Adios El Cuchillo," original air date of 11/6/1960, from Walt's anthology TV series "Walt Disney Presents." This episode is 49:00 long and again stars Roland & Moreno.

An excerpt (3:17) is included here from "The Fourth Anniversary Show," which originally aired on 9/11/1957. Walt is surrounded by the Mouseketeers who anxiously want to hear more about Zorro. Walt finally relents, and the opening from the show rolls out. There is an "interaction" between the two sets, where Zorro talks to the Mouseketeers and then engages in a sword fight shown only in shadow (very effective!).

There is also a featurette entitled, "The Life and Legend of Zorro" (12:26) detailing the history of Zorro. Starting with the publication of Johnston McCulley's story in a pulp fiction magazine titled All-Story Magazine, "The Curse of Capistrano" came out in 1919. Swashbuckler Douglas Fairbanks Sr. was the first to play Zorro in the movies (1920), followed by Tyrone Power over at 20th Century Fox in 1940. Disney purchased the rights to the property in 1952, but didn't get around to actual production until 1957. This marked the first time that a standing set was built on the Disney lot in Burbank at a cost of $500,000. Disney worked closely on this show to make everything authentic, and made sure it was helmed by a quality team. Each episode cost $78,000 to film and was shot on a 5-day schedule, which was very lavish for the day. Each installment also had original music and scoring written by William Lava. Today, the quality still shows and has paid off handsomely for the studio from its continued fanbase over the past 50 years. The documentary has many technicolor images of Guy Williams and the Zorro cast, along with interviews of Williams' son. Legal battles between ABC and Disney delayed Season 3, which resulted in a few hour-long episodes. It is ironic that one of the top rated shows (garnering an unheard of 40% audience share in season 2) was killed not by the ratings but by legalities and quibbling.

This is a sure-fire set that will please old and new fans of this quality program.

The Complete Second Season is the definitive version that Disney Zorro fans have waited years for. Covering the 39 episodes that comprise season #2 (1958-1959), this limited edition (and numbered) 6-disc set of 30,000 includes a Certificate of Authenticity, a collectible pin (very handsome showing a silver sword with a shadow of Zorro & his horse superimposed on top), as well as a black-and-white photo postcard showing Guy Williams in his Zorro costume. A booklet outlining the contents of the set can also be found here. The set comes handsomely encased in a black metal tin, fitting of this B&W series where the hero wears an all-black costume.

A 3:29 intro by Leonard Maltin introduces the episodes and gives a brief overview of the series and these particular episodes along with the extras on these discs. The remastering is evident on these episodes. The picture is clear and so is the sound; naturally, with the way it was originally recording, a digital surround experience is not possible, but the Dolby Digital recording is crisp, clear, and the score sounds better than it has in years. And no...there are no colorized versions here. Just the genuine black and white originals.

Besides the 39 episodes (starting with "Welcome to Monterey", original air date of 10/9/1958 and finishing with #39 "Finders Keepers", original air date of 6/2/1959), there is a 6th disc of bonus material. Here you will find 2 hour long episodes:

1. "Zorro: The Postponed Wedding," original air date of 1/1/1961, from Walt's anthology TV series "Walt Disney Presents." Clocking in at 49:04, this episode features Annette Funicello, who is beginning to mature into a very pretty young lady.

2. "Zorro: Auld Acquaintance," original air date of 4/2/1961, from Walt's anthology TV series "Walt Disney Presents." Starring Ricardo Montalban & Ross Martin ("Wild Wild West") this episode is 49:09 long.

There is also a featurette entitled, "Behind The Mask" (7:52) which is a short look at Zorro's leading man, Guy Williams. Also known as Professor Robinson on "Lost In Space," Williams is often regarded as the quintessential Zorro. Well-liked by his costars (Suzanne Lloyd is quoted here as saying Williams was "one of the most charming professional men I ever had the pleasure of working with"), he began as a model and then became a contract player at Universal. An injury sidelined him and caused him to take up fencing. A call to audition for Disney's Zorro was a fortuitous break for the actor, and catapulted him into stardom. Zorro's stunt double, Buddy Van Horn is also interviewed here, along with Williams' son, Guy Williams, Jr., who obviously has many fond memories of his father and this particular role. Interestingly enough, it is recounted that most action scenes were shot on Fridays so that any injuries would have the entire weekend to heal! Rare color movies of Williams performing at Disneyland as Zorro are shown here; Van Horn recalls them staying at the Disneyland Hotel and taking advantage of the carte blanche they had at the Hotel. Author Antoinette Lane, Guy Williams: The Man Behind the Mask, is also interviewed about Williams, recounting what a role model he was, playing a father figure in "Lost in Space" and a protector in "Zorro."

Finally take a trip to the Walt Disney archives in Burbank on the studio lot (10:55). Leonard Maltin and Guy Williams, Jr. display original costumes and sword from the show, calling particular attention to the lavish detail (genuine silver thread, exquisite embroidery, and heavy wool) that is evident in these pieces made by Western Costume. Two costumes are also shown with the famous "Z" emblazoned on them, including one for Henry Calvin's oafish and comedic Sergeant Garcia. Next up a generous sampling of the more than 500 licensed items that were sold to promote the Disney series, including lunch boxes, rings, child costumes, and even roller skates!

This fantastic set is a must-have for Disney fans both new and old alike. Quality entertainment presented in a quality package.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

WOW - only 30,000 sets each??! Is this the lowest print run so far for the Treasures? I am SO glad I pre-ordered ...
BILLONEE
Limited Issue

Post by BILLONEE »

I looked up "Zorro episode guide" on another website & it says there are only three seasons of "Zorro" & the third season only had four episodes. Is there any chance these four episodes are on the two "WDT Zorro" sets as bonus episodes?
We are all brothers & sisters on this planet earth.We must plant the seeds of love today for our children's tomorrow.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>I looked up "Zorro episode guide" on another website & it says there are only three seasons of "Zorro" & the third season only had four episodes. Is there any chance these four episodes are on the two "WDT Zorro" sets as bonus episodes?<<

The four one hour season 3 episodes are divided between the two volumes, 2 each.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ohmahaaha wrote:WOW - only 30,000 sets each??! Is this the lowest print run so far for the Treasures? I am SO glad I pre-ordered ...
30,000....thats like the size of the town I live in....Good thing I also pre-ordered through amazon early on......

so if there are some people still on the fence about getting them....or trying to decide if you want them....i'd say get them fast because with that low number if you change your mind on them you can return them or sell them on ebay
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

30,000? WOW that's SO many, I can't believe Disney would print so much for that horrendously obscure and unpopular TV series!...

NOT!

That's 9,500 less than last years print numbers and the Dr Syn set sold out within a month without any kind of major advertising.

What is Disney thinking? How can they possibly make a significant profit with such a limited print? Why would it be terribly uneconomical to print an addition 20,000 copies for example? Are they that sure of themselves that any more printed would destroy the image of the WDT line begin "exclusive" and bankrupt the home entertainment division of the company?

WDSHE needs to get their act together regarding the printing of this line of DVDs. The entire world is only begin given 30,000 copies of each season, does this not bother them in any way?

If the numbers are correct than Disney will have sunk to a new low with this line. Which is such a horrible insult to the people who were paid to take the time to put together such well done sets and the fans who would be actually willing to pay for a product of this kind.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Maybe Disney figured:
a) Since these sets are more expensive, maybe fewer people will want them;
and b) Maybe some titles that haven't sold out made Disney not want to risk that again? I personally don't think that they need to worry about [i}Zorro[/i] not selling out, since it was an extremely popular show, but it could be a concern...
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

This is the first time in the WDT line where I don't really care about the Treasures. But I do feel for others.

Maybe it's just that they've pretty much just run out of worthwhile things to put on the line, in Walt's time, anyway. They've ran through pretty much the entire series of Disney cartoon shorts, all the Mickey Mice, Donald Ducks, Goofies, Plutos, Silly Symphonies and (most) of the "specials". The only things I see left to include are maybe Ludwig Von Drake and, though far less likely, Walt Disney World.

Then again, they could always reissue past DVDs, like they're reissuing the PE DVDs as Diamond Editions. They could put the Disney Treasures on Blu-Ray. Just imagine the amount of cartoons any one or set of discs it could take at a time that way.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

At first I thought I wouldn't get these, but it looks like I'll have some extra money. Gonna hit the Future Shop the first day they're out.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

WOW that is a tiny print run. You would think with the promotion they did with D23 they would anticipate or at least hope for better sales. I wouldnt be surprised if this wave doesnt sell out completely before the end of January.
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Where's Dick Cook when ya need him :roll: :P

I'm probaly gon'na purchase both Seasons of Zorro, I recall watchin the intro sequence on Disney Sing Along: Heigh Ho.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

It's probably too soon to ask this question, but does anyone know what titles are going/rumoured to be lined up for the next wave of Treasures yet?
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

For the 10th wave, I am hoping to see a Song of the South Treasure, and maybe some more Disney Rarities.

I do think they should release something epic for the Treasures 10th year anniversary.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Coolmanio wrote:For the 10th wave, I am hoping to see a Song of the South Treasure, and maybe some more Disney Rarities.

I do think they should release something epic for the Treasures 10th year anniversary.
Or maybe start old waves over again, this time on Blu-Ray. Imagine the amount of stuff you can put on any one disc at a time.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Coolmanio wrote:For the 10th wave, I am hoping to see a Song of the South Treasure, and maybe some more Disney Rarities.

Perhaps have a limited re-issue of the first two waves? (I can dream can't I?)