What 2 animated features would you love to see on Blu-Ray?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

What 2 animated features would you love to see on Blu-Ray?

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Excluding the platinum line, (because we all know they will eventually get released on Blu-Ray) what two animated features would you love to see released on Blu-Ray?

For those of you who don't know what features are included in the platinum line, here is the list along with confirmed release dates and probable release dates. The probable release dates are based on past platinum DVD release dates.

SLEEPING BEAUTY - already released
PINOCCHIO - spring 2009 (confirmed date)
SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS - fall 2009 (confirmed date)
FANTASIA - spring 2010 (conformed date)
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - fall 2010 (confirmed date)
THE LION KING - spring 2011 (probable date)
ALADDIN - fall 2011 (probable date)
BAMBI - spring 2012 (probable date)
CINDERELLA - fall 2012 (probable date)
LADY AND THE TRAMP - spring 2013 (probable date)
THE LITTLE MERMAID - fall 2013 (probable date)
PETER PAN - spring 2014 (probable date)
THE JUNGLE BOOK - fall 2014 (probable date)
101 DALMATIANS - spring 2015 (probable date)

Ok, now that's out of the way, here are the 2 animated features that I would love to see on Blu-Ray in the NEAR future...

ALICE IN WONDERLAND
DUMBO

There are many more that I would like to see on Blu-Ray but these are my two main titles. What's yours?
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

The Black Cauldron and Lilo and Stitch :D
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: What 2 animated features would you love to see on Blu-Ra

Post by disneyboy20022 »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:Excluding the platinum line, (because we all know they will eventually get released on Blu-Ray) what two animated features would you love to see released on Blu-Ray?

For those of you who don't know what features are included in the platinum line, here is the list along with confirmed release dates and probable release dates. The probable release dates are based on past platinum DVD release dates.

Ok, now that's out of the way, here are the 2 animated features that I would love to see on Blu-Ray in the NEAR future...

ALICE IN WONDERLAND
DUMBO

There are many more that I would like to see on Blu-Ray but these are my two main titles. What's yours?

I could have sworn Alice in Wonderland was announced as being the Blu Ray Platinum and DVD in either 2011 or 2012 slot to tie in with Disney's & Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland....

btw..my two would be Hercules and Hunchback of Notre Dame...although Lilo & Stitch would be good too....its a toss up of those three other than possible and already planned Platinums
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
tlc38tlc38 wrote:Excluding the platinum line, (because we all know they will eventually get released on Blu-Ray) what two animated features would you love to see released on Blu-Ray?

ALICE IN WONDERLAND
DUMBO

I could have sworn Alice in Wonderland was announced as being the Blu Ray Platinum and DVD in either 2011 or 2012 slot to tie in with Disney's & Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland....

btw..my two would be Hercules and Hunchback of Notre Dame...although Lilo & Stitch would be good too....its a toss up of those three other than possible and already planned Platinums
To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, but there are only 14 titles in the Disney Platinum line and Alice isn't one of them. They could be releasing Alice in Wonderland as a special edition but it shouldn't be a platinum.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Without a doubt, Fantasia! I think it is going to look stunning when it comes out in a year and a half from now. I hope the soundtrack gets a great restoration.

Not sure for the 2nd one, but all the early Disney movie should look great. I hope they treat them all like the new Sleeping Beauty release.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Barbossa wrote:Without a doubt, Fantasia! I think it is going to look stunning when it comes out in a year and a half from now. I hope the soundtrack gets a great restoration.

Not sure for the 2nd one, but all the early Disney movie should look great. I hope they treat them all like the new Sleeping Beauty release.
You're supposed to list 2 titles that ARE NOT in the platinum line...
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Well, I'd rather see all the animated features on Blu-Ray, regardless what "line" they're branded as.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

It took me some searching on the UD Forums however I found where it was discussed...

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=21385

and that is not confirmed by Disney as of yet...but according the chart they Dropped Aladdin (postponed or pushed back however you like to put it) in place to promote Tim's Burton Alice in Wonderland which is currently on the slate for 2011...

tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:It took me some searching on the UD Forums however I found where it was discussed...

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=21385

and that is not confirmed by Disney as of yet...but according the chart they Dropped Aladdin (postponed or pushed back however you like to put it) in place to promote Tim's Burton Alice in Wonderland which is currently on the slate for 2011...
Darn...I didn't know that about Aladdin...that's just wrong for them to put it in the platinum line the first cycle and take it out the second cycle. To me, sales shouldn't determine if a movie is platinum or not. It should be determined by how popular the movie is as a "whole". To me, this doesn't make sense....at all.

What's next, if Pinocchio doesn't sell well this time around, the next time it's released it won't be considered "platinum"....

If they want to add Alice in Wonderland, that's fine with me but they shouldn't take one out and replace it with another.

And, by the way, I've always thought Dumbo and Alice should've been in the line from the get-go.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

"Platinum" is just a way for Disney to make consumers think one film is more important than the other just because it's more marketable. They should just abolish the line and give all their films top-quality restoration and extras on home video releases. Jungle Book bored me to tears and I'd rather get a filled-to-the-brim two-disc set of Robin Hood.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Escapay wrote:"Platinum" is just a way for Disney to make consumers think one film is more important than the other just because it's more marketable. They should just abolish the line and give all their films top-quality restoration and extras on home video releases. Jungle Book bored me to tears and I'd rather get a filled-to-the-brim two-disc set of Robin Hood.

albert
I totally agree with you. But let's face it, as long as Disney makes DVD/Blu-Ray their gonna label their titles. If you think about it, everyone labels things...why shouldn't Disney?

However, I see your point and wish they would see it too.

It took Disney awhile to release all their canon titles on DVD but it eventually happened. I'm hoping they do the same thing with Blu-Ray but speed it up a bit and treat the lesser titles (Melody Time, Dumbo, Robin Hood..etc.) the same as the platinums as far as the quality of the picture/sound/extras...etc.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:
Darn...I didn't know that about Aladdin...that's just wrong for them to put it in the platinum line the first cycle and take it out the second cycle. To me, sales shouldn't determine if a movie is platinum or not. It should be determined by how popular the movie is as a "whole". To me, this doesn't make sense....at all.
Well, if it didn't sell that well, it probably isn't as popular :). Does anyone have charts for this? Did Aladdin really have low sales, or just low sales compared to the other Platinum Editions?

Anyway, my two are The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Fantasia 2000. I wanted to nominate the first Fantasia, but that one's already announced. And I think Fantasia 2000 is totally underrated.
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I'd like to have

Hunchback of Notre Dame
Atlantis

as Blu-ray 8)
(actually I'd love to see all animated classic getting a propper BD release :wink: )
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

KubrickFan wrote:
tlc38tlc38 wrote:
Well, if it didn't sell that well, it probably isn't as popular :). Does anyone have charts for this? Did Aladdin really have low sales, or just low sales compared to the other Platinum Editions?

Anyway, my two are The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Fantasia 2000. I wanted to nominate the first Fantasia, but that one's already announced. And I think Fantasia 2000 is totally underrated.
FANTASIA 2000 has been announced for a release the same time as FANTASIA.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

KubrickFan wrote:
tlc38tlc38 wrote:
Until something definitive is announced by WDHE, Aladdin's removal from the Platinum line remains speculative.

The only mention of Aladdin's sales figures I've seen were for the first week's totals (which were lower than expected). It did stay on the shelves longer than any other Platinum release, which suggests it may have been a comparatively poor seller.

It's hard to say categorically that politics and war contributed to its the release's sales performance, but there has to be some reason; it was the most successful film of 1992, and if the Wiki is to be trusted (there's no cite to support this particular statement, sadly), it's the third-highest grossing traditional animated feature worldwide. I'd like to think the market will come back around.

It seems reasonable that Aladdin would require a less involved and less costly restoration than any vintage title which might replace it; there's no telling if that kind of cost-benefit analysis plays a role in the decision-making process.

It would be nice if Disney had a dedicated Platinum line site. I'd really like to know what criteria are currently being used to determine a title's inclusion in the collection. According to the Wiki (uncited, again), the lineup was originally comprised of the company's 10 best-selling titles on VHS...now that we're two generations removed from that home media format, it does not seem inappropriate to reconsider the significance of the designation.

The titles I'd most like to see on Blu-ray are all in the Platinum line. Outside that list...

Mary Poppins, first and foremost. After that I'd dearly like to see the package features from 1942-1949, which have all seen less-than-thrilling DVD releases created from obviously unrestored source material. They're not hugely popular and they don't move a lot of units, but they do contain some of my favorite Disney moments: Peter and the Wolf, The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met, The Legend of Johnny Appleseed, Mickey and the Beanstalk, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow...
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Escapay wrote:"Platinum" is just a way for Disney to make consumers think one film is more important than the other just because it's more marketable. They should just abolish the line and give all their films top-quality restoration and extras on home video releases. Jungle Book bored me to tears and I'd rather get a filled-to-the-brim two-disc set of Robin Hood.

albert
Seriously! Just stick to something simple like "Collector's Edition" or "Walt Disney Collection Edition". One thing that grinds my gears is Disney making skimpy releases, another is to discriminate the "bad" films.

--

As for my movies I want to see on Blu-Ray:
Dumbo as a lot of said, and Tarzan.

(What I would really love to see are all the Studio Ghibli movies on Blu-Ray.)
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:FANTASIA 2000 has been announced for a release the same time as FANTASIA.
Yes, I realized that after I posted it. Well, I'll change that into Atlantis: The Lost Empire, then. It's underrated as well :).

By the way, does this thread have any point? We know for a fact that each and every Animated feature released by Disney will get a Blu-Ray release. Some faster than others perhaps, but every title will be released eventually.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

If we were talking strictly for audio, then Fantasia, no doubt.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Treasure Planet yet. That would look absolutely stunning in HD. I think that and Tarzan would benefit from high-def the most.
- John
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

magicalwands wrote:(What I would really love to see are all the Studio Ghibli movies on Blu-Ray.)
Ditto. But that hasn't even happened in Japan yet, so it may be a little while...
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Pasta67 wrote:If we were talking strictly for audio, then Fantasia, no doubt.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Treasure Planet yet. That would look absolutely stunning in HD. I think that and Tarzan would benefit from high-def the most.
I was just now thinking Treasure Planet would look good on Blu Ray. which I have been listening to Jim's Theme of the movie I'm Not here...Because that's how I feel a lot of people treat me at this point in my life...How can they want me to change....when they're the ones that stay the same....

I feel like that a lot right now as people as some people in my life want me to change things about me and they won't even step out of their own bubble to change things that they could improve on....I mean our the church that I go to want to solve poverty in our 7,000 population town and their way is...give them a once in a while hand out of money but if they need a favor they won't help....other than the main pastor of the church who I have been meeting with.....I think he wants to do a sermon about that song I showed him from Treasure Planet...

Also Sorry didn't mean to turn this into Days of disneyboy20022's troubles of life...thread..