The Disney that never was....

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I have spent so many hours on that website throughout the years- it's just so sad that it was closed down. Some of those links don't always work, but you could just go to www.archive.org and type in "www.animated-movies.net" in the search box and click on the links shown until some work.
I remember this site, too! It was the site I went to for my Disney updates on new movies before I came to UD. I remember reading about all the crazy sequels before they came out - and some that didn't make it, like the planned Mulan trilogy and a Snow White sequel with her daughter Rose - and the history of trying to make Enchanted work, long before they even had a script writer. I actually discovered UltimateDisney.com after I e-mailed the guy (Olivier Mourox? Was that his name?) who maintained animated-movies.net. He recommended UD to me and I've been here ever since! I think I remember reading somewhere that he stopped maintaining the site and it became animated-news.com because the original guy got a job at DreamWorks. Anyhow, thanks, Amy for posting those links! It was like walking back through my middle school/high school days when I read them.

Also, if you ever do decide to write the second version of the Disney that Never Was, I'll be happy to join you and colloborate!! :)

______

Whoa...that was a terrific article, disneyfella! As you have said, it is quite interesting to see how things ended up happening, but it makes you wonder a lot about what could've been. I mean with Pocahontas and the plans for those other movies, it would've been great to see a line of more "adult" Disney animated movies. Also, I wonder if Around the World in 80 Days turned into the live-action version with Jackie Chan.
PeterPanfan wrote:They always seem to think of something, do away with it, and then the second someone else has an idea like theirs, they do their original idea.
When you think about it, I feel like Disney Animation was doing the opposite recently. If you look at the existing/planned animated movie line-up, between Fantasia 2000 (1999) and Rapunzel(2009), some of the films IMO were trying to be laugh-out loud comedies like Shrek. With Kingdom of the Sun becoming TENG, Sweating Bullets becoming Home on the Range, and Rapunzel almost becoming Rapunzel: Unbraided, the directions of the films were changed to be mainly comedies. I remember reading Sweating Bullets was supposed to be a hero cowboy movie.

Still, this decade did have other kinds of movies like the comic book sci-fi's of Atlantis and Treasure Planet, and the heartwarming family films of Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, and Meet the Robinsons. I guess I'm not one to demand what kind of movies Disney should focus on, but still, it's interesting to see the diversity in this past decade of Disney animation.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

I was just reading the Rapunzel thread and supertalies posted a YouTube video of the Storybook Land Canal Boats ride in Disneyland Paris:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=8vw5O3Vg_nc

In the ride (which is very different than the Disneyland CA version), the non-animated feature/not yet made stories are Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and the Wizard of Oz. We have a home video of the CA version from 1989 and it also had the Emerald City model from the Wizard of Oz (I'm guessing they replaced it with Prince Eric's Castle in the CA version and the model was sent to the Paris ride). I'm wondering if this was used in production for a possible Wizard of Oz animated feature. With the Rapunzel tower to preview guests of the Paris ride with 2010's Rapunzel, I'm wondering if the Emerald City was once supposed to preview a possible Disney Wizard of Oz animated feature.

Then again, the model may be from preproduction work for Return to Oz or from the planned Rainbow Road to Oz feature with the Mickey Mouse Club kids as described in the Your Host, Walt Disney Treasures DVD: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjhqBb3qGI
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Didn't Walt want to do a Wizard of Oz animated feature? I remember reading that here a couple of times.

Maybe it was from Return to Oz, or the MMC special...I'm not too sure. I just remember that Walt wanted to do a WoO film.

Also, Amy, I would love to work on the book, too, if you do it. We don't have to publish it, it can just be an internet kind of thing. Just for reference. :P

That would be really fun. You, Kram, and me. :lol:
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

I would love to see some of these abandoned story concepts hit the screen. But it might happen after all.. didn't Walt himself consider adapting The Littel Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast? Now see what has happened later ...abandoned concepts always have a chance to resurface and become feature flms. :)
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Atlantis was going to be a tv series. A third of the series was animated when the movie did poor in the box office, it was canceled. They took the three completed episodes and cut them into the direct to dvd sequel. They even wrote a cross-over story of Atlantis and Gargoyles. They even got Marina Sirtis back to do the voice of Demona. It was a very promising episode. Most the voice work was complete for the episode, and it was storyboarded. Currently, artists from The Gathering convention have been working on animating the episode, using storyboards by fans. I heard if you go to the Gathering, they screen what is completed thus far. I would love to see it.

Here is more info: http://gargoyles.dracandros.com/Team_Atlantis
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

More "Disney that never was"......

I was just reading a magazine called "Get Animated" circa 1986 and it talked about how Disney was working on animating "Oliver and Company". Apparenlty at the time, it was supposed to be more along the lines of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" in that the character of Fagin was going to be live action and all of the dogs were going to be animated! After thinking about it for only a few seconds I thought that the idea really could've been cool.

Only 2 years later, though, a fully animated feature "Oliver and Company" would become one of the studio's biggest successes of an animated feature EVER!

@ Siren - Ooooooo

::oogles over the thought of an Atlantis/Gargoyles crossover::

that sounds amazing! I just talked with GG21 and I don't think either of us are going to make it to the Gathering this year :(
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://www.2719hyperion.com/2008/06/dis ... found.html

Charles Solomon, who wrote "The Disney That Never Was", has a new book that just came out yesterday. The above link has pictures and a little information. The new book contains information about other DACs, but it also includes information on "Wild Life" and "My Peoples""!!!
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Cool find Amy. I'll definitely stop at the bookstore on the way home today:)

Also, I read a pretty cool article from 1979 that has an interview with Ron Miller. He mentions some projects in the works at the Mouse House for the early 1980s. And a few never actually made it to the screen. You'll be suprised to hear what some of these were.......I'll post excerpts from the article later today.
- Walt Disney

Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

blackcauldron85 wrote:http://www.2719hyperion.com/2008/06/dis ... found.html

Charles Solomon, who wrote "The Disney That Never Was", has a new book that just came out yesterday. The above link has pictures and a little information. The new book contains information about other DACs, but it also includes information on "Wild Life" and "My Peoples""!!!
It's on Amazon for only $19.80!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz

Also, if you're interested, the Cinderella book with Mary Blair illustrations is now only $6.99!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz

p.s. blackcauldron85, I hope you got my e-mail! :wink:
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

The other news article about missing Disney productions from the early 80s will have to wait.....I came across something even better. In 1979 Disney released a comic book adaptation to the film "The Black Hole".

I have read several times that the ending to the film wasn't figured out when the film started shooting, and it went through several variations. Critics have argued that this was the ultimate downfall to the film, as the end seems rushed and incomplete. What follows is a transcription from the last few pages of this comic book adaption with a different ending than the film's.......

NOTE: the stage directions are mine put in to explain what is happening , but the dialogue is straight from the book. I've bolded all quotes from the book.

Our heroes have entered the black hole in their escape shuttle.

"Stunned by the forces which tear at them, the Palomino's Crew appear to sleep...'

The shuttle spins through the black hole as it goes deeper and deeper into the abyss.

"And while they do, the ship falls toward the blinding core the black hole..."

The space shuttle continues to fall.

"And then..."

Dr. Kate McCrae: "We're through! Dan! Charlie! We're through!"

Cut to a panel showing the space probe in another universe.

Dr. Kate McCrae: "We're safe on the other side!"

Cut back into inside the space probe.

Charlie: "We made it! Reinhardt WAS a genius!"

Dan: "A new universe - beyond the Black Hole!"

Cut to a panel showing the space shuttle in space again.

Dan: "What did Reinhardt call it? A place suspended in time - where the laws of nature no longer apply - and there is no death!"

Cut to back inside the space shuttle.

Dr. Kate McCrae: "Oh, Dan! Could that be true? It's terrible! Dreadful! Isn't there any way we can...well, get back?"

Dan: "Back through the Black Hole? To our own universe? I guess even without Hans Reinhardt, we can try!"

Cut to a panel of Charlie and V.I.N.CENT.

V.I.N.CENT: "We can do it, Captain! I'm sure we can@ But...do we want to do it right away? There is something else we should do first..."

Cut to a final full page panel of the space probe drifting through an open space in a unknown universe.

V.I.N.CENT: "If we are in a new universe - we want to explore it! We have to, don't we? After all - we are the FIRST ONES!!!"

Bottom corner of the panel: "The End"

This ending may not seem like a big deal if you haven't seen the movie (it may not seem like a big deal even if you HAVE), but I always grew up fascinated by the ending of the film and never quite fully understood it. It is sort of like the ending to 2001 a Space Odyssey where you can interpret it into a billion different things. It was very artsy. This ending from the comic book leaves it open for the crew to explore a whole new universe.....sort of like heroic adventurers....in the vein of Star Trek.
- Walt Disney

Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Oh wow...thanks SO MUCH for that, Fella! It certainly is a different ending than the film (which is an ending I never understand, no matter how many times I watch it or read different interpretations).

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
blackcauldron85

That's a really cool find, Aaron!!! I haven't seen "The Black Hole", but a secret alternate ending is very cool! :)
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

According to the special features on "The Black Hole" DVD release from Disney, they DID film an even different ending where once the escapees travel into the black hole the camera pulls back at an exponential rate to reveal Michaelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Cysteine Chapel. The camera pulls back from the point where God's hand is almost touching Adam's and pans down to see Dr. Kate looking up. "The End". It was supposed to have some spiritual relevance and become this controversial sci-fi commentary. Unfortunately, this sequence has never been released.....and may even be lost :( It's kind of interesting, though, if you've ever been a fan of "The Black Hole"....I suggest people should just take a 'look see' if they have the free time and check out this sci-fi epic.

Good times.........
- Walt Disney

blackcauldron85

I occasionally stumble on this website. They have some info and concept art from abandoned projects:

http://animationarchive.net/Deleted%20Movies/

I mean, look at all the Wild Life concept art they have:
http://animationarchive.net/Deleted%20M ... ept%20Art/

:shock: I love it!

I posted the link to the Aida character concepts in the Aida thread, but I probably could've just posted it in here (I didn't think of reviving this thread until after I already posted in there. My bad.)
http://animationarchive.net/Deleted%20M ... _large.jpg

A Few Good Ghosts concept art:
http://animationarchive.net/Deleted%20M ... ept%20Art/
(In a previous post in this thread, I posted the link to a video of some footage from the film.)

The bottom of the Don Quixote page has some concept art:
http://animationarchive.net/Deleted%20M ... 20Quixote/

An article with a lot of concept art for Fraidy Cat:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... 8/662.aspx

When I'm bored, I often will look up old articles and whatnot, so I'll make sure to remember to post fun findings in here in the future!!!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

So, I've been thinking about this for a long time and I feel like this would be the best topic to discuss this...

I remember hearing somewhere that Walt Disney wanted to do The Little Mermaid back when he was alive. I also remember seeing some concept art for it that looked very Mary Blair-ish. Did I make this up or was that true? I think I'm going to go watch my TLM PE making of to see if it was there, but other than that do any of you know anything?
blackcauldron85

Here's some info on Disney's early version(s) of TLM:

http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/mov ... rmaid.html

http://the-scepter.livejournal.com/14468.html

http://animationarchive.net/Feature%20F ... aid/Notes/

From UD's review of the TLM: PE DVD:
"The Little Mermaid: The Story Behind The Story" (11:30) is a very nice piece, which partly profiles the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen. It also speaks at some length about the differences between the featured movie, Andersen's original story, and a featurette-length treatment developed for Walt Disney in 1941 by Danish animator Kay Nielsen. Some artwork and notes from Nielsen/Disney's planned cartoon are interestingly witnessed here.
http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interview ... rview.html
Kay Nielsen worked on Fantasia—that's all. Then he left the studio. He was hired for that purpose. [As David Lesjak points out, Nielsen actually made inspirational sketches for a number of other films, all unmade at the time, including The Little Mermaid, The Ride of the Valyries, and The Swan of Tuonela.]
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

There lots of animated shorts drooped.

Hillbilly Mickey an uncompleted storyline featured Mickey as a hillbilly, Pete as a moonshiner who mistakes Mikey for a revenue agent, and Minnie as a hillbilly girl.

Navy Mickey short proposed in the 30's would have put Mickey in the Navy along with a bulldog admiral.

The Sea Monster also known as "Mickey's Sea Monster" would have pitted Mickey, Donald and Goofy against a comic sea serpent.

Davy Jones' Locker Mickey goes undersea treasure hunting.

Mickey's Bakery Mickey, Donald and Goofy baking an enormous cake for Mrs. Vandersnoot's reception.

Snowbabies A proposed sequal to "Merbabies" would have had the same basic characters as in that short and "Water Babies" frolicking in the snow. The short was proposed by Walt Kelly, who later went on to create the comic strip "Pogo."

Sunken Treasure Mickey, Donald and Goofy go deep sea hunting.

The Emperor's New Clothes Originally planeed as a Silly Symphony, it was later developed into either a sort or a featurette starring Mickey, Donald and Goofy in the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.

The Three Bears A proposed Silly Symphony of the well-known children's story. Later, it was proposed that the stock characters (Mickey, Donald, etc.) would take over the roles.

Streubel Peter Also known as "Slovenly Peter", a proposed Silly Symphony would have featured Peter, an unruly boy who delights in tormenting animals. The animals, in the end, would have been able to eventutally take their revenge.

The Love Nest,Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are interior decorators who fix up a honeymoon cottage for Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow.

Desert Prospectors, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy discover a ledge of 19-karat gold in the desert with the aid of an automatic gold-finder which has been constructed by Goofy. But the machine goes berserk when it gets too close to Donald's gold belt buckle, attacking the duck and ultimately exploding a stick of dynamite. The trio of prospectors are left in tattered disarray.

Timid Elmer/Elmer's Light for O'love,Tillie the Tiger falls for the balletic charms of Mr. Granville Goat while "fat, oafish, tongue-tied" Elmer looks on helplessly. When a menacing gorilla shows up, the cowardly Mr. Goat runs away, and Elmer must rescue Tillie.

Northwest Mounted/Mickey Gets His Man/Mickey of the Mounted/Royal Mounted Police/Mickey the Mountie, Black Pete kidnaps Minnie Mouse and tries to force her to disclose the location of her secret gold mine. Intrepid mountie Mickey gives chase but is hampered in his search by the antics of his gluttonous horse Tanglefoot.initial version and an alternate chase-and-resque sequence

The Snow Babies, live in a pinecone huts, A show-offisch readheded baby spoils the others winter'S fun, and then runs int an owl. This seems to haven't made it behind the storyboard.

Japanese Symphony Originally planned as a story featuring a moth rescued from a bat amid a Japanese setting, it later transformed into a romantic story about two Asian children. It was never decided exactly how the story should develop; the Japanese setting was retained but the short was never made.

Jungle Mickey Mickey as a newsreel photographer in darkest Africa, Some later developement also included Donald and Goofy.

Nightwatchman Donald,As nightwatchman in a department store, Donald is plagued by a playful monkey, who leads him a merry chase.

Mickey's Follies An amazingly large and ambitious projected short would have featured nearly all of the standard Disney characters as well as some of the more popular "Silly Symphonies" characters in a grand musical revue.

Minnehaha A proposed sequel to 1937's "Little Hiawatha" featuring that character's counterpart in a little Indian girl.

Santa Claus Symphony A third "Santa Claus" Silly Symphony where a child would be shrunk down to midget size and be deleivered to the North Pole along with his Christmas list.

Interior Decoratiors, Donald and his dimwitted helper Gus are hired to renovate an old mansion.

Interior Decorators, shows Donald Duck Battle with coco Clock

Sargasso Sea Mickey in a short version of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

The Lumberjack Goofy, Forest cutting in "how to manner" This went as fair as storyboard. Tom Wood adverting team for GH seems to have made up its own plot of this cartoon featuring Donald and Mick and Mack insted of Goofy "How to" as there no information of cartoon storyboarded as Lumberjack Donald

Mickey's Ostrich, The only surviving story board have Mickey riding the ostrich at some point in the film but that is not to conclusive hat the film was about in general, resemblance to Donald'S Ostrich a relesed cartoon.

Donald Munchausen Donald invents a series of fantastic adventures for the amusement of his nephews.

Mickey's Nephews A Christmas short in which Mickey plays Santa for the Orphans.

Mickey's Toothache A dental version of "Mickey's Garden" wherein Mickey takes laughing gas and enters a nightmare world of threatening dental equipment.

Pilgrim Mickey Mickey as a pilgrim who goes out hunting for a Thanksgiving dinner. (This would have been the only Thanksgiving short ever made by Disney.)

Pluto's Robot Twin Mickey builds a robot dog for Pluto which goes out of control. Pluto then has to fight the robot to regain control of the household.

Salvagers Mickey and Donald (or possibly Mickey and Pluto) as deep-sea divers.

Spring Cleaning also known as "Pluto's Pal, Bobo." An attempt to bring back Bobo the Elephant from "Mickey's Elephant" would have had Bobo helping Mickey and Pluto clean Minnie's house. Canselled at storyboard.

Tanglefoot Mickey would have been set in a racetrack, along side a horse with hay fever.

Yukon Donald, Donald learns that a baby walrus has been stealing food from his cache.

Yukon Mickey, Mickey learns that a baby walrus has been stealing food from his cache.

Lost Prospectors, Donald and Gus Goose are prospectors lost in Death Valley. Tortured by heat and thirst, they trek across the barren terrain in search of water, encountering various mirages, including a group of Lorelei ducks lounging by a swimming pool. One of the girls sips a cool drink and beckons to them. While Donald investigates, Gus, with the aid of his lucky derby hat, discovers a strange capricious laughing spring and is able to quench his thirst. Donald also tries to trap the elusive water but is unable to get a drop.

Donald's Shooting Gallery,Business is bad at Donald's shooting gallery. He lures the nephews into playing by offering a box of candy as a prize, but tries to bilk them by setting up targets that cannot be knocked down.

The Rubber Hunter,Donald tries to put a severely patched tire on his jalopy, but the tire collapses. This angers him so much that he journeys to South America for raw rubber to make a new tire.

The Deliververy Boy, Donald must deliver a girl doll to Doll Museum, at some point Pluto was introducced into the plot but this didn't make it behind the storyboard.

Museum Keeper also known as "Old Masters" or "Donald and the Old Masterers." Donald as a museum keeper guarding a priceless collection of paintings. Some of the 'paintings' in this unmade short, which featured Donald in various classic artworks, were later used in other print projects.

Mountain Carvers Mickey, Donald and Goofy as artisans attempting to carve out their own version of Mount Rushmore.

Morgan's Ghost Also known as "Pieces of Eight" or "Three Buccaneers." It was originally proposed as a short and was eventually considered for a possible feature length project. A variation on "Treasure Island," Mickey, Donald and Goofy find a treasure map and try to follow it to the end, all the time trying to evade Pete. Although it was never made as a short, the storyboards were reworked by Carl Barks as a vehicle for Donald Duck and his nephews for the comics. It was eventually published under the title, "Donald Duck finds Pirate Gold."

The Beaver Hunters, Donald and Pluto go hunting for beavers, but the wily rodents foil them, even though Donald disguises himself as a tree and uses ingenious weapons, like a rifle that fires a plumber's helper.

Ballon Race/Donald's Balloon/Donald's Stratosphere Flight) 'Later version: Donald has problems repairing and launching his hot-air balloon.

Ballon Race/Mickey's Balloons/Mickey's Stratosphere Flight) Original version: Mickey, Minnie, Horace, and Clarabelle in a balloon race against Black Pete.

Bobo's Pal Pluto, Mickey and Pluto takes rides in Bobo's hutch, this was exterminated at the storyboard stage.

Traveling Salesman Donald, Donald is a traveling salesman who cons bartender Pete into buying a phony pearl, then becomes the victim of Pete's energetic revenge. The tables are turned when Pete accidentally knocks down a pillar supporting the second story of his saloon and must hold up a heavy safe to keep from being crushed.

Men in Uniform, Mickey would have played a milkman who finds his foil in a small kitten.

Ditch Diggers, Goofy and Donald work contruction for Pete.

The Ostrich who laid the golden egg/Ostrich Story, This is a tale told by the Ostrich People of Prax when asked "Where did you come from? (But I dont find anything to conlusive what this was about.), the story was reworked in 1942 with slight diffrent plot, considered at one point for inclusion in Three Cabbaleros

Ice antics, Mickey tries to tech Minne to skate, but goes tits up as soon as Donald and Goofy appears. Donald foils Pluto but it back fires when he needs rescue himself. This might not have even survived to storyboarding.

My Mickey, You Friday, Mickey's second enconter with Canibals, this time at his place this seems to have been storyboarded before being drooped from production.

Donald's Elephant, the gH adwerting time might have made this one up as there no storyboard or any other information actuall production surviving.

Pluto and the Spring, this short envolved during it prouction progress into Put-Put Trhoubles (relesed cartoon), drooping several gags for new one, and intro duction Donald Into the plot.

Sculptor Donald, Donald enters a contest for the best wax sculpture, but the nephews sabotage his statue with a blowtorch, and it dissolves in a series of humorous forms and faces.

Carnival, seems to have been recroped several times but the most intresting one is the extended verison of Aqurella do Brasil, from Saludos Amigos

Fantasia 1941-1999, 'Fantasia to be an ongoing project, ideally with a new release each year. The plan was to repeat some of the scenes while replacing others with different music and animation, so that each version of the film would include both familiar material and new segments. However, the film's disappointing box-office performance prevented such plans from being realized.

Donald's Tank, While cleaning an armored tank, Donald accidentally explodes some grenades near his sergeant, Black Pete. To escape Pete's wrath, he takes off in the tank, crashing through the officer's mess and separating a general from his T-bone steak. Donald's problems are compounded when an experimental television monitor inside the tank is activated, and he confuses its telecast for scenes of the passing terrain. Straying across the French line, he spoils a surprise attack on Adolf Hitler's Panzer Division.

Madame XX Donald would have been a government courier entrusted with top secret papers which he must keep away from spies, including the Mata Hari-ish Madame XX.

Caxanga, seems to have been two projects featuring Donald, playing this south American game, both playing this game alone, and in later revision whith Jose Carioga and Goofy, the later revision included nightmare sequence for Donald that was an gag play on the routine of the game. The second verison might have gone as fair as pensil test.

The Horneo Bird/The Near-Sighted Over Bird, Romatic south American Bird story, at some point in the developement this was considered for inclusion in the "Three Cabalerros"

The Lady with The Rad Pomom, a tauchan bird enconters aracuan bird

The Blue Orchid, based on vensuzuela folklore about animals and sprits to Jungle to repel in vasion to Man, there seesm to be no surving storyboards for this, it has been also suggested that this didn't even made to the storyboard. But this could be one of the many examples of films not going pen and paper but if there more that fall under this catagory then that is anyone is guess.

Chichicastenango, a story set in a place of the same name but this sems to have not survived behind the story board. I dont find any information what the plot was about.

Gremlins Considered both for production as a short and feature film failed to materialize; it was based on a story by Roald Dahl which became part of the national wartime consciousness in the early 40's.

The Good Samaritan Pluto rescues a cute little puppy from the snow, who subsequently begins to tear the house apart.

Lima Story, the Lima that was used in Lake Titicaca was orignally going to star in film of its own.

Bambi's Children, Sceond feature of Bambi as he's now grown up with children, storyboard materal seems to survive the project stalled at that stage.

Snafu, how to not foul up in the Army, Disney as originally propsed to make this series army entertainment but the evanually it was produced by Warner Bros and UPA, an complete storyboard of an the unproduced Disney short survives.

La Loca Mariposa, Donald as a butterfly collector visiting the small country of Venenuzela. Carl Barks later reworked this into a story set in africa insteed of south America.

Pluto and the Anteater, Pluto enconters an Anteater in South america in avery strange manner,

Intros and outros, Mickey Mouse presents the Health for America series.

A House Divided, A proposed short about wartime rationing would have pitted the Big Bad Wolf, as a black marketeer, against the Three Little Pigs, who have to be taught not to waste resources.

Ajax the Stool Pigeon, Also known as Roland XIII; features a bird doing duty as a military carrier pigeon, despite having a fear of heights.

How to Be a Commando A proposed Goofy short wherein Goofy dreams of going up against Hitler and goes through commando training camp to achieve his goal.

Army Story Goofy in the army romantically involved with a pretty WAC.

The Square World, This short would have satired the conformist society of Nazi Germany. The creators, Dick Huemer and Joe Grant, thought at one time of extending it into a feature length film. If it had been completed, it would have been a major leap for Disney as the sketches prefigured the modernistic style of the UPA shorts, which would transform animation in the 60's.

Democracy, A proposed film comparing American Democracy with the society of Nazi Germany through the trials of an immigrant family; the Jonses.

Rancho in the Sky A fantasy, probably considered for one of the package features, with lovers riding against a western setting.

Melting Pot An Unmade propaganda short has a Nazi lecturer extolling the virtues of the German way.

Guerilla Duck, A continuation of Donald's wartime exploits has him trying to intercept a Japanese troop carrier.

The Laughing Gauchito A sequel to the "Flying Gauchito" section of "The Three Caballeros" would have found the lead character with the ability to shatter glass with his voice.

Fiesta of the Flowers/Flower Festival/The Flower Song, botanical action of the flowers on South America, this was droped of the production line after completion of the pensil test, becuse the south America program had run it course.

San Blas Boy, A boy and his dog go fishing and are blown off course through the Panama Canal.

Share and Share Alike, Donald and his three nephews fight over an apple. Similar plot was featured in Donald's nephews

Sonja Heine Fantasy, A proposed fantasia short would have been either animated or a live action / animation mix featuring the famed ice skater.

Old Geronimo/Cowpoke Donald," it was orignally planned as a Donald Duck short. Goofy replaced him, as he attempts to "capture the ruffest, tuffest steer in the whole state of Texas."

Scrabbled Eggs, Pluto finds him self in the Ugly Duckling fary Tale, as babysit too the ducking, this seems to have not maded it behind the storyboard.

(Note: not a complete list)
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

BUMP!

Why Walt Disney Feature Animation opted NOT to make "My Peoples"
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... -quot.aspx

A really great article about the movie that was never made. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I read on and off about that film during the time Disney announced the end to their hand-drawn services. The main cause for the project's cancellation was that it was too "cornpone", which is somewhat ironic, because Disney is often rooted in that rural appeal. (And for crap's sake, Walt Disney himself grew up in Missouri!)

That's just one bizarre story of why different animated films have been shot down. But, it is entirely plausible for this movie to be resurrected someday. Maybe they'll also resurrect a project that Joe Grant and Vance Gerry was working on called "The Abandoned".
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

It's a shame. I always thought "My Peoples" or whatever they were calling it that week had some definite charm to it just based off the concept art alone. And to hear Dolly Parton, Hal Holbrook and Charles Durning do voiceover work in a Disney animated feature would be too perfect. My only fear in Disney potentially resurrecting this someday is that Miley Cyrus would somehow feature into it.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"