60's & 70's Aspect Ratios (from Sword in the Stone)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

That Disney Fella wrote:Oh, and I forgot to post earlier that attached to "The Sword and the Rose" was the True Life Adventure Featurette "Prowlers of the Evergaldes".
You actually posted that on June 24, lol. :P

After reading about the 1.66:1 ratio for The Sword and the Rose, I looked for the mpg file I had torrented of it and capped it to see how it'd look matted. Some of them actually doesn't look too bad:

But the titles are cut off (though I assume that for theatres that requested the 1.66:1 Miracle-Screen, they had reels with titles that fit...):

But other on-screen credits fit fine:

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

Wow, I'm away for a week plus, and I miss all the excitement...
ajmrowland wrote:
AlwaysOAR wrote: Oh, I have read that previously, and my thoughts on all of it are stated below the quotes...

Put me in with the film purists...

Scott
Okay, then you clearly know he states his thoughts on the issue.
So, "I have read that previously..." wasn't understood...
Escapay wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
^he claims he read it before. doesnt always mean Ill believe him instantly.

Given the fact that he quotes the portion of the article that he wants to talk about, that should be indication enough that he's read it before and knows which part he wants to address. :roll:

albert

As always Albert, you da man... :thumb:

Scott
You don't make the film fill your TV, be it 4:3 or 16:9, you make your TV fit the original ratio of the film. If that means a letterboxing or pillarboxing of a film, so be it.
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

disneyfella wrote:I've gotta run, so I'll post about Niok later. But I did want to update you on "The Sword and the Rose". I got the pressbook from the original 1953 RKO distribution of this Disney film. Remember that the Paramount film, "Shane" had just premiered with the first 'matted' widescreen picture. On opening the Campaign Book, this is posted on the bottom right of the first page:

""The Sword and the Rose" is the first Walt Disney Feature to be shown on the giant Miracle-Screen

Wide-Screen Prints Are Available at All RKO Radio Exchanges"

I didn't really know how to respond to this. There is no 1.33:1 aspect ratio given.....but then, there really shouldn't be because there was no matting that was done at that time. I think when "Shane" was released it wasn't matted in the projection booth, but the print itself was hardmatted.
Hmmm...I wonder how many theatres were capable of showing that widescreen version, most probably showed the academy ratio version I guess, those that were capable of course, would show the hardmatted version...
disneyfella wrote:So I did a little digging and found no information online about the Giant Miracle-Screen process heralded with this production. Dead end, right?.....WRONG.

I emailed Dave Smith and Leonard Maltin for their input. What did they mean by this, and why have I never heard of this widescreen process before?
Yeah, I just did a little digging myself, and could find nothing regarding the giant Miracle-Screen...
disneyfella wrote:It appears that the film was shot in the standard ratio (1.33:1). When the film was released there was a pressure for the film to be distributed widescreen....so for those theatres requesting a widescreen print of the film, it was hard matted to 1.66:1 (the same as the Paramount film "Shane", that same year!). Disney was certainly not far behind on getting on the widescreen craze.....he was right there at the very beginning!!!

So I guess both ratios work for this film: 1.33:1 and 1.66:1.
I'm guessing we're assuming 1.66, and looking at the mpg's Escapay posted above, you're probably correct, but could it have been at 1.75?

We know "Johnny Tremain" is the earliest, so far, having that ratio, but of course that was 4 years after "The Sword And The Rose", so I really don't know...too bad there were no projection instructions...

Anyway, It'll be added to those not having those instructions...

...and again, great find...

Scott
You don't make the film fill your TV, be it 4:3 or 16:9, you make your TV fit the original ratio of the film. If that means a letterboxing or pillarboxing of a film, so be it.
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

I have some pressbook information to add...

:clap: "The Black Hole" 1979 Premiere Release Information:

"FOR A PERFECT PRESENTATION THE ASPECT RATIO FOR A SUPER WIDESCREEN IMAGE MUST BE 2:35 to 1"

(NOTE: Both the Disney and Anchor Bay DVDs present "The Black Hole" in it's original theatrical aspect ratio.)

...the Disney DVD is 16X9 enhanced, not sure about the Anchor Bay one, and the pressbook states a runtime of 1 hr., 37 min., while the Disney DVD states 98 min...

...this pressbook is one of three from an order I placed, the other two were shipped separately, waiting on them still...

:clap: "Sleeping Beauty" 1959 Premiere Release Information:

"MR. EXHIBITOR...IMPORTANT NOTE!

To Present "Sleeping Beauty" In It's Full, Breathtaking Scope, It Is Absolutely Necessary That You Use Aspect Ratio 2:35 to 1"

Of course, we already had the link to the letter from the pressbook, from that Digital Bits article. The pressbook I received had an insert, not the letter, stating the same info in the letter... "IMPORTANT! The 35mm Print of "Sleeping Beauty" Must Be Projected at an Aspect Ratio of 2.35 to 1"

...the pressbook states a runtime of 75 minutes, matching it's DVD releases...

For 1960's "The Sign Of Zorro", there were no projection instructions in it's pressbook, adding to the list of those not having that info.

...also, the pressbook states a runtime of 90 1/2 minutes...

"Lady And The Tramp" was shipped separately, so I'm waiting on that one.

I'll update the list shortly...

Scott
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

disneyfella wrote:I just bought a batch of pressbooks (some of which we've already posted on), but the new ones I'll be able to add are:

That Darn Cat!
Smith!
Gus
The Jungle Book (1978 re-release)
* 101 Dalmatians (1979 re-release)
:) Saw that listing too...I held off trying to acquire them though, as I'm only really into getting the original release ones, and only a couple of them were. Speaking of which, when I saw those, I think the "That Darn Cat" pressbook might be a re-release one as well, as someone else has for sale the re-release pressbook for that title, and it has the exact same cover as the one in that pressbook lot you got. Anyway, just a head's up, and hopefully it'll be the original release for you...
"One Hundred And One Dalmatians" 1979 Re-Release Information:

"The Aspect Ratio for a Spot-tacular Screen Image is 1.75 to 1."

(NOTE: The original theatrical framing for "One Hundred and One Dalmations" when it premiered in 1961 was 1.33:1. Therefore the 1.75:1 matting of this 1979 re-release is another example of the critically frowned upon theatrical re-releases of Disney animated films in improper aspect ratios.)
:wink:

Disneyfella wrote:As for "Niok", I don't recall it being a French film production. I do have a copy of this featurette (not the television version, but the actual original theatrical cut of this). I'll have to pull it out and I'll update with some more info on that.
I actually received "The Aristocats" pressbook along with the "Sleeping Beauty" & "The Sign Of Zorro" ones posted above.

On page ten of the ad pad insert, it does state for "Niok, The Orphan Elephant"...Re-released by Buena Vista Distribution Co., Inc.

...and from IMBD (yeah I know) we have...

Plot Summary for
Niok (1957)
Niok l'éléphant (original title)
In the Cambodia area of Indo-China (when it was filmed) a young native boy 'adopts' a baby elephant and raises it as a pet. His father later sells it to a Chinese merchant. The boy recaptures the pachyderm, however, and frees it back into the jungle.

My guess is that the dialogue was probably dubbed in English from the original French release in 57.

Scott
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Instead of digging out my copy of "Niok", I thought I'd post this link for a copy of it on ebay. According to the post, the film was made by a French director and French crew, but the film itself was made in English. I haven't seen this for a few months, and if I remember correctly, there is very little or no actual dialogue and it is basically all narrated by an English voice.

I'm crazy busy this weekend, but I promise to pull this one out soon and clarify the production. In the meantime, I thought this might help:

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-Niok-1957-I-B- ... 483b46b2d9
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Still crazy busy, but I unexpectedly got these pressbooks quite soon and thought I'd post them on here:

Miracle of the White Stallions: No projection instructions given

The Fighting Prince of Donegal: "Mr. Showman; The Aspect Ratio of "The Fighting Prince of Donegal" is 1:85 to 1. Adhere to this ratio to achieve the best screen image opssible, and a quality image for your theatre."

Gus: "The Aspect Ratio for Gus to achieve the best screen image is 1:75 to 1"

That Darn Cat (1965 re-release): "The Aspect Ratio for "That Darn Cat" to Achieve Purr-Fect Screen Image is 1.75 to 1."

The Jungle Book (1978 re-release): "The Aspect Ratio for a Swingin' Image is 1.75 to 1"

Smith!: No Projection Instructions Found (But this film was released with a re-release of "The Incredible Journey")
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

disneyfella wrote:Instead of digging out my copy of "Niok", I thought I'd post this link for a copy of it on ebay. According to the post, the film was made by a French director and French crew, but the film itself was made in English. I haven't seen this for a few months, and if I remember correctly, there is very little or no actual dialogue and it is basically all narrated by an English voice.
Oh, okay, by looking at the link, it also confirms that it was premiered in '57, so it couldn't have been a premiere release showing before The Aristocats in 1970, instead just a re-release.

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-Niok-1957-I-B- ... 483b46b2d9[/quote]
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

disneyfella wrote:Still crazy busy, but I unexpectedly got these pressbooks quite soon and thought I'd post them on here:

Miracle of the White Stallions: No projection instructions given

The Fighting Prince of Donegal: "Mr. Showman; The Aspect Ratio of "The Fighting Prince of Donegal" is 1:85 to 1. Adhere to this ratio to achieve the best screen image opssible, and a quality image for your theatre."

Gus: "The Aspect Ratio for Gus to achieve the best screen image is 1:75 to 1"

That Darn Cat (1965 re-release): "The Aspect Ratio for "That Darn Cat" to Achieve Purr-Fect Screen Image is 1.75 to 1."

The Jungle Book (1978 re-release): "The Aspect Ratio for a Swingin' Image is 1.75 to 1"

Smith!: No Projection Instructions Found (But this film was released with a re-release of "The Incredible Journey")
Thanks for posting those Disneyfella! So we have another film bucking the 1.75 Disney ratio. "The Fighting Prince of Donegal" joins "Old Yeller" & "The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band" at being instructed for the 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

Sorry to hear about the "That Darn Cat" pressbook. I had guessed that it was a re-release instead of the premiere pressbook. Also, I see you got a couple of pressbooks without those projection instructions, as I'm usually the one who finds them :roll:, and with my next post, unfortunately, we'll have some more.

In regards to "Smith!", I had gotten a re-release pressbook for "The Incredible Journey" dated '68, instead of the premiere pressbook, some time ago. My guess is that it was for it's attachment to the premiere of Smith. "Smith!" premiered at the begining of '69, and I've noticed sometimes the year on the pressbook will be for the year before it is released, having been sent to theatres months in advance I guess.

For instance, "Never A Dull Moment" says Released by Walt Disney Productions, 1967, and it premiered in the spring of '68. Anyway, just an observation.

Scott
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

I meant to add in my above post regarding Niok, that I found out that the animated featurette "Donald And His Duckling Gang" was not a premiere release featurette showing before "The Apple Dumpling Gang". Instead, it was actually a compilation of shorts from previous years, and was not a new, premiere release showing. I'll correct that in the list soon.

Scott
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

I received the remaining pressbooks I ordered...

1955's "Lady And The Tramp", no projection instructions in it's pressbook, and no stated runtime, though it states throughout, "FIRST All-Cartoon Feature In Cinemascope". It is pretty much established though that Lady premiered at the 2.55:1 ratio, along with an academy ratio version, when it came out in '55.

Also, the live-action featurette, "Switzerland", premiered with Lady, and it also was advertised as the first "People and Places" featurette to be shown in Cinemascope.

1964's "The Misadventures of Merlin Jones", no projection instructions for it's pressbook, and states a runtime of 1 HOUR, 31 MINUTES, matching it's runtime on DVD.

1966's "The Ugly Dachsund", no projection instructions for it's pressbook, and states a runtime 1 HOUR, 33 MINUTES, matching it's runtime on DVD.
Also, the animated featurette, "Winnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree" premiered with this, and I'd like to eventually find it's pressbook.

1980's "Midnight Madness", again no projection instructions in it's pressbook, and no stated runtime.

I also received the following pressbooks, but didn't bother to mention them previously as we already had the info for them...

For Babes In Toyland, it states a runtime of 100 Minutes, while the DVD release states 106 minutes, that's a gain of 6 minutes!

For The Parent Trap , it does state a runtime of 129 MINUTES. I had mistakenly believed it's pressbook said 125 minutes from the scans of it on it's Vault Disney release, as the scans were somewhat blurry, but the rest of the information I posted about it earlier is still correct.

Anyway, I'll be updating the list soon with the new info...

Scott
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

disneyfella wrote:That Darn Cat (1965 re-release): "The Aspect Ratio for "That Darn Cat" to Achieve Purr-Fect Screen Image is 1.75 to 1."
Um...the movie came out in 1965. So if the pressbook says 1965 anywhere, it must be the original, and not a re-release. :P
AlwaysOAR wrote:Also, the live-action featurette, "Switzerland", premiered with Lady, and it also was advertised as the first "People and Places" featurette to be shown in Cinemascope.
Too bad it couldn't be included with Lady and the Tramp on DVD, like how "Grand Canyon" was included with Sleeping Beauty.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Escapay wrote:Too bad it couldn't be included with Lady and the Tramp on DVD, like how "Grand Canyon" was included with Sleeping Beauty.
You think if we keep our fingers crossed we'll get it restored in HD on the Lady and the Tramp blu ray?

;)
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

ichabod wrote:
Escapay wrote:Too bad it couldn't be included with Lady and the Tramp on DVD, like how "Grand Canyon" was included with Sleeping Beauty.
You think if we keep our fingers crossed we'll get it restored in HD on the Lady and the Tramp blu ray?

;)
I hope so. Maybe then you'd be posting more here. :P

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Escapay wrote:I hope so. Maybe then you'd be posting more here. :P
But I'm too busy!

I mean I spend all my time going through new DVD releases documenting precisely how and when the picture is better than an 80s VHS and then thinking about writing emails of complaint. Because surely I (armed with just a hazy memory and an old VHS) know better than hundreds of trained restorers with the animation library and original source material at hand.

The theirs there my Hannah Montana DVDs to watch, they're such an integral part of Disney I simply have to keep up with them! And Alyssa Milano's Disney cover songs aren't gonna listen to themselves.

But most of all my time these day is just far too consumed by pondering how any film released within the last 15 that doesn't have a princess in, is just a hideous atroscity that should immediately be spat upon. Whilst throw a dress in there and all of a sudden you have a masterpiece.

I hope Disney doesn't release Bambi or Fantasia next in their blu ray diamond edition line. Their both such awfully boring films which should never have been made. What artistic or cultural merit do either of them have?

Do you think The Princess and the Frog will be included in the platinum line?
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

Escapay wrote:
AlwaysOAR wrote:Also, the live-action featurette, "Switzerland", premiered with Lady, and it also was advertised as the first "People and Places" featurette to be shown in Cinemascope.
Too bad it couldn't be included with Lady and the Tramp on DVD, like how "Grand Canyon" was included with Sleeping Beauty.

albert
Hmmm...I know in the SB pressbook, it didn't mention anything about the "Grand Canyon" featurette, which doesn't necessarily mean it didn't premiere with it. A quick glance at IMDB (yeah) says Canyon premiered in Dec. of '58, and Beauty was a month later in '59, but I'm assuming it premiered with Beauty.

For the "Switzerland" featurette, it should have been included on the previous release of L&TT, and hopefully on the next release, it will be.

Scott
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

I had received one other pressbook I failed to mention in the above posts, and that was 1966's Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N.. Instead, I got the '74 re-release one for it, and I will be sending it back, as the seller will be sending me the premiere release one he should have sent me originally. I'll get it in a couple of weeks at my address overseas.

Additionally, I ordered for delivery at my overseas address the following...

1960's Ten Who Dared
1971's The Wild Country
1971's The Barefoot Executive
1972's Napoleon And Samantha

Anyway, I'll be getting these in about two weeks...

Scott
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

ichabod wrote:
Escapay wrote:I hope so. Maybe then you'd be posting more here. :P
But I'm too busy!

I mean I spend all my time going through new DVD releases documenting precisely how and when the picture is better than an 80s VHS and then thinking about writing emails of complaint. Because surely I (armed with just a hazy memory and an old VHS) know better than hundreds of trained restorers with the animation library and original source material at hand.

The theirs there my Hannah Montana DVDs to watch, they're such an integral part of Disney I simply have to keep up with them! And Alyssa Milano's Disney cover songs aren't gonna listen to themselves.

But most of all my time these day is just far too consumed by pondering how any film released within the last 15 that doesn't have a princess in, is just a hideous atroscity that should immediately be spat upon. Whilst throw a dress in there and all of a sudden you have a masterpiece.

I hope Disney doesn't release Bambi or Fantasia next in their blu ray diamond edition line. Their both such awfully boring films which should never have been made. What artistic or cultural merit do either of them have?

Do you think The Princess and the Frog will be included in the platinum line?
rotfl

This is exactly why you should be posting MORE, iccy.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Escapay wrote:rotfl

This is exactly why you should be posting MORE, iccy.

albert
Seconded. :D
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

I came across this French website, and in it's archives, has scans of Disney movie posters, lobby cards, pressbooks, publicity photos, magazine covers, etc. from different countries, including the U.S. These include many of the live-action features and animated ones, as well as many of the animated featurettes. Here's a link for the main Disney page...

http://affichesdisney.canalblog.com/arc ... index.html

I looked through all of the links from '53 through '89, and though there were scans of some front and back covers of pressbooks, as well as some inside pages, I only found aspect ratio instructions for two re-release pressbooks...

"Perri" 1972 Re-Release Information:

"ASPECT RATIO 1.75 TO 1"

(NOTE: While the theatrical framing for this re-release is 1.75:1, the DVD release of the film is only 1.33:1.)

...and the running time states 94 minutes, matching it's DVD release

* "The Jungle Book" 1978 Re-Release Information:

"THE ASPECT RATIO FOR A SWINGIN' IMAGE IS 1.75 to 1"

(NOTE: The theatrical framing for this re-release matches the presentation on the Platinum Edition DVD release of "The Jungle Book".)

...and the running time states 1 Hour 20 Minutes, while the DVD releases are at 78 minutes

*Disneyfella just recently acquired this one.

For these two, you have to scroll down to the area that says Documents Publicitaires and you'll find them under Dossier de presse, Etats-Unis (United States).

Anyway, I'll update the list with the new info...

Scott