Death of the Disney Afternoon DVDs?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

In all fairness I dont want to own half of those shows any way.
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

Ioz wrote:I really wish Disney would license these shows out to another company like they have with some of their non-animated shows.
i agree, if they did it with boy meets world why not do it with the disney afternoon shows as well. i really want to complete my sets
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

ajmrowland wrote:What we really need to do is draw their attention to the lack of advertising they put out for these discs. Disney is being really idiotic with many of their releases trying to squeeze a quarter out of a nickel. What they fail to realize is that not only are their discs overpriced, but most people have forgotten that these cartoons exist since they were aired. Not everyone keeps tabs on DVD sites, and they fail to realize that. Essentially, Disney's got their heads in their asses.
I agree, it is almost like they wanted these shows to fail. Where was the trailer on "Cinderella" or "Pirates of the Caribbean" saying that "Ducktales is coming to DVD? You know, I've been a collector of he old Hanna-Barbera and Warner cartoons, and every single release of those shows has trailers for other shows.

Luke wrote:
goofystitch wrote:Other studios have had better luck breaking down season sets. For example, "Ducktales: Season 1 - Volume 1," a 4-disc set containing episodes 1-33. Rather than waiting a whole year, 6 months later they should have done "Ducktales: Season 1 - Volume 2," a 4-disc set containing episodes 34-65. And finally, 6 months later, release "Ducktales: Seasons 2 & 3," a 4-disc set containing episodes 66-100. Instead of being greedy, each set should have been $30.
So instead of selling sets of 24-27 episodes for $25ish a piece, selling sets of 33-34 episodes for $30 would have worked in everyone's favor? I kind of doubt that.

The short of it is that Disney won't release TV content unless it generates a lot of profit. One need only look at the mounds of content they haven't released to see how conservative they are in this genre. Things like the Disney Afternoon shows, "Avonlea", "Boy Meets World", and so on clearly required a minimum of effort and money. Despite that fact, the obvious profits apparently weren't substantial enough for Disney to continue to spend that minimum of effort and money. So much for customer satisfaction.

And yet this is the same studio that keeps dipping into its vaults for barely-functional Disney Movie Club Exclusive DVDs that probably struggle to sell a thousand copies. Go figure.
Disney would not know customer satisfaction if it hit them upside the head! They have this chip on their shoulders that in all fairness, maybe we the fans helped to give them, that becuase they are who they are, they can do whatever they want and it will still work out. In every aspect of their company, they do things almost as if they want to tick people off, but then come off as if since they are Disney, it's ok. It leads to a lot of customer frustration. And yet we keep coming back anyway, thus making their point.

TV shows on DVD may be one of the most frustrating things when it comes to Disney. You would be right, they have been VERY conservative with releasing any of their stuff on DVD. It's madding! You know, I happen to know that Disney and other Hollywood studios want desperately to cut down and get rid of pirated films and shows. But the fact is that apparently they can't seem to get, is that not releasing stuff only hurts that effort. I don't think they fully understand the kind of fan bases these various tv shows have.

By not releasing these shows, they hurt themselves as fans will want these shows, even by less then ethical means, so Disney gets no money for their continent, and it hurts the fans who either go without, or venture into bootleg territory and get a less they satisfactory product.

I have been trying to get a movement going to get these shows released, even if it is more of a DVD on Demand thing. I fully understand that I'm dealing with Disney, who is many times like an ass that won't get off the road and move the cart along, even when it is for their own good, and that this may not happen and I'm "wasting my time." I wrote the guy who runs the tvshowsondvd.com site, and he basically told me it was a waste of time, to move on. But dang it, I love these shows too much to give up on them like that. They are literally a big part of my childhood, and at the very least, I owe it it to that memory to at least try.

Once again, if anyone want to join me, we could use your help. I have my Facebook group and hope to have a site up soon.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Disney ... 4670763548
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Ioz
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Death of the Disney Afternoon DVDs?

Post by Ioz »

Goof Troop is getting two big volume sets released through the Disney Movie Club, but I fear it will go unfinished like the rest. I'm surprised they'd start Goof Troop through the club, but not finish some of the ones they already started.

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/04/17/d ... op-on-dvd/
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Ioz wrote:Goof Troop is getting two big volume sets released through the Disney Movie Club, but I fear it will go unfinished like the rest. I'm surprised they'd start Goof Troop through the club, but not finish some of the ones they already started.

You know what I figured out a long time ago, there are so many pessimists on the internet! Who says Goof Troop won't get a full release? They kind of had to start somewhere you know. Being as Disney Movie Club seems to be how they are doing Disney Afternoon shows and the DMC doesn't release very many titles in a year, this is going to take some time.

Yes, I've heard some pessimists bring up the fact that none of the other shows that were started being released and then stopped have had their final releases yet. To which I say, let's see how accurate that is going into 2014. Let's take a look at how this year has gone so far. DMC first releases The Weekenders (completely) and now the first 54 episodes of Goof Troop. Won't it be interesting to see what's next? 8)
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney_freak »

I think overall, the success of these next DVDs will be what make or breaks the following batch of DVDs. It looks like Disney is willing to put them out if they can make enough profit.
Ioz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ioz »

milojthatch wrote:
Ioz wrote:Goof Troop is getting two big volume sets released through the Disney Movie Club, but I fear it will go unfinished like the rest. I'm surprised they'd start Goof Troop through the club, but not finish some of the ones they already started.

You know what I figured out a long time ago, there are so many pessimists on the internet! Who says Goof Troop won't get a full release? They kind of had to start somewhere you know. Being as Disney Movie Club seems to be how they are doing Disney Afternoon shows and the DMC doesn't release very many titles in a year, this is going to take some time.

Yes, I've heard some pessimists bring up the fact that none of the other shows that were started being released and then stopped have had their final releases yet. To which I say, let's see how accurate that is going into 2014. Let's take a look at how this year has gone so far. DMC first releases The Weekenders (completely) and now the first 54 episodes of Goof Troop. Won't it be interesting to see what's next? 8)
I agree that your previous post in this thread was pretty negative. :wink:
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

milojthatch wrote: You know what I figured out a long time ago, there are so many pessimists on the internet! Who says Goof Troop won't get a full release? They kind of had to start somewhere you know. Being as Disney Movie Club seems to be how they are doing Disney Afternoon shows and the DMC doesn't release very many titles in a year, this is going to take some time.

Better theory: pull the "Shout! Factory" move. I have noticed lately that Shout tends to provide the complete series either before selling the individual season (like the Power Rangers and the upcoming Beetlejuice animated show... that's right, Beetlejuice animated is coming to DVD, all episodes on one date. Rejoice. Anyway...) or after selling individual reasons that sell well (rocko's modern life has been presented in a complete series before releasing an individual final set. Same goes to the upcoming Angry Beavers)
What I'm trying to say is that the company might as well have all the episodes in one set instead of selling them separately. Could be done either on shows that have been sold individually and have not been finished or shows that have not been on DVD before. That way, everything can be justified! And yes, it can be either exclusive to DMC (which at this point can be the better alternative), have Disney themselves sell them to the public... or provide them via Netflix instant Streaming... look, King of the Hill, Malcolm in the Middle and Phineas and Ferb have practically the entire series (so far) in one site, so there's that approach if they're too lazy to make DVDs!
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Both volumes of Goof Troop have 3 discs, and unfortunately they are stacked. :facepalm:

EDIT

Next moth I'm buying two 3 disc dvd cases off ebay next month
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I think the Disney Animation TV Shows from the 90's are start popping up like microwave popcorn in a microwave at Disney Movie Club

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/05/29/g ... c-release/

and apparently not Season 3 of Gargoyles will be released yet, however what we are getting is more shocking. I do have hopes that Gargoyles will be finished but this time through The Disney Movie Club. Of course we all want these to be release through stores but at this point I'll take what I can get.

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/05/30/t ... gargoyles/

tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I thought about joining DMC so that I can get these exclusives but when I do a search for "goof troop" on the site (disneymovieclub.com), nothing comes up. Is there a special place you have to go to find these?

I found Goof Troop volumes 1 & 2 on Amazon so that's probably where I'll get them so I don't have to fool with joining another club. I hope Talespin volume 3 and Gargoyles seaeon 2, volume 2 are also on Amazon. I hope the remaining episodes of Chip 'n Dale, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, and Gummi Bears come out fast. I'd also love to see House of mouse and Bonkers!!!! Gotta love bonkers!!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

To be honest, most Gargoyles fans consider "season three" to be non-canon; so with the release of "Season Two, Volume Two" the series is "complete."
tlc38tlc38 wrote:I thought about joining DMC so that I can get these exclusives but when I do a search for "goof troop" on the site (disneymovieclub.com), nothing comes up. Is there a special place you have to go to find these?
From what I understand, the selection of DVDs and Blu-rays you get when you first sign up is limited. On your next order, you can pick whatever you want, however.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

And the pricers at first is high until you meet your commitment promise of 5 titles within 2 years I think. After that you get to become a VIP Member and right now VIPs pay full price for one movie and the rest are 50% off with free shipping. This month the featured title is for Lilo & Stitch and The Emperor's New Groove Blu ray. You get both of them for $29.95 plus free shipping. I'm not sure though the free shipping is applied to non VIP members.

Also I've heard that some people get lucky once they become VIPs and get free shipping for life. I unfortunately was not that lucky

JTurner
Gold Classic Collection

Rebirth of the Disney Afternoon DVDs?

Post by JTurner »

Death of the Disney Afternoon DVDs you say? After all we've been hearing recently from DMC, it sounds more like "rebirth."
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

UmbrellaFish wrote:To be honest, most Gargoyles fans consider "season three" to be non-canon; so with the release of "Season Two, Volume Two" the series is "complete."
Fans AND the show's creator Greg Weisman, who wrote a comic for a while that was his version of how Season 3 would have gone down.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Gizmo Duck and Fenton Crackshell Vinylmations coming July 19th limited to 1500

http://www.vinylmationpark.com/vinylmat ... omment-179

I wish I had gotten the earlier Disney Afternoon Vinylmations but I'll have to pick me up a set once online.

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Rebirth of the Disney Afternoon DVDs?

Post by milojthatch »

JTurner wrote:Death of the Disney Afternoon DVDs you say? After all we've been hearing recently from DMC, it sounds more like "rebirth."
Amen. This is what I was trying to hint at the whole time. :D

For folks that want to look for these titles and are not yet DMC members, you have to join to find and buy them. Once you've joined, they should be easy to spot.

-Walt Disney
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

MiloJThatch, is it just series that comprised The Disney Afternoon that we should expect to see come to dvd? I am much more interested in The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse. Do you have any idea if these are under consideration for release?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Who wants to see the cover art for TaleSpin Volume 3 and Gargoyles Season 2, Volume 2? Also, both TaleSpin and Gargoyles are available to buy now if you are a Disney Movie Club member.

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/06/24/g ... er-art-up/

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Also to those that have Facebook it would be courteous to post a thank you note on The Disney Movie Club's Facebook Page for giving us Gargoyles and TaleSpin

Here's more info on that idea

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/06/19/l ... s-tuesday/