DVDizzy.com
https://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/

The National Film Registry
https://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22607
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Rumpelstiltskin [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  The National Film Registry

Each year, up to 25 films that are "at least 10 years old" and "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

So far, only a very few of them have been animated movies, and among them, we find the first three features in the canon; Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia?

I don't know how many from the canon that in the end will end up in the registry, but shouldn't at least Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians be among these? All of them are unique in their own way, and their kind has probably never been made before or later.

Author:  Atlantica [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:00 am ]
Post subject: 

What exactly is the National Film Registry, and what does it mean to be inducted into it ?

Author:  Escapay [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:07 am ]
Post subject: 

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
What exactly is the National Film Registry, and what does it mean to be inducted into it ?

From wikipedia...

The National Film Registry is the registry of films selected by the United States National Film Preservation Board for preservation in the Library of Congress. The board, established by the National Film Preservation Act of 1988, was reauthorized in 1992, 1996, and 2005 by acts of Congress. The 1996 law also created the non-profit National Film Preservation Foundation, which is affiliated with the National Film Preservation Board but which raises money from the private sector.

The National Film Registry is meant to preserve up to twenty-five "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant films" each year; to be eligible, films must be at least ten years old. The films do not have to be feature-length or to have had a theatrical release. The Registry is meant to showcase the full range and diversity of American film heritage, and includes films ranging from Hollywood classics to newsreels, silent films, experimental films, films out of copyright protection, significant amateur footage, documentary films, independent films, home movies and even TV movies. As of 2007, there were 475 films preserved in the National Film Registry.

The most recent film is Fargo (1996), while the oldest film is Blacksmith Scene (1893). The most represented year in the list is 1939 which has nineteen entries (including films created in various years).


Albert

Author:  Atlantica [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 am ]
Post subject: 

Ah, ok thank you Escapay.

Personally, I dont think 101 Dalmations should be among the films to be entered. Possibly not Bambi and Sleeping Beauty either. How are they culturally and historically significant?

I would love The Little Mermaid in there, but that will not happen probably. They could possibly just stick with the three Disney Classics they already have in there.

Author:  Disney's Divinity [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, I definitely agree that Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Cinderella , Lady and the Tramp and perhaps Dumbo and Alice In Wonderland should all be there (out of the old films). The Fab Four are really the only newer films that are "culturally" relevant, considering so many children grew up with them as favorites.

Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia are about the only Disney films I can think of as "aesthetically" relevant.

Author:  Escapay [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 am ]
Post subject: 

No problem, atlantica.

In the end, the NFR is just another list of films a group of people want to consider important enough to keep in a list. Aside from their efforts in film preservation, it doesn't really matter to me what the NFR picks to put on their list. Will I like 101 Dalmatians any less because it's not on the list yet? And should I enjoy Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs more because it is on the list? Hardly.

Albert

Author:  Rumpelstiltskin [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:29 am ]
Post subject: 

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Ah, ok thank you Escapay.

Personally, I dont think 101 Dalmations should be among the films to be entered. Possibly not Bambi and Sleeping Beauty either. How are they culturally and historically significant?

I would love The Little Mermaid in there, but that will not happen probably. They could possibly just stick with the three Disney Classics they already have in there.


You forgot about the part of being aesthetically significant. Bambi is the most realistic animated movie about nature and animals ever made, each frame of Sleeping Beauty is like a medieval painting and 101 Dalmatians had also a unique look not seen in a movie before.

Author:  yukitora [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Ah, ok thank you Escapay.

Personally, I dont think 101 Dalmations should be among the films to be entered. Possibly not Bambi and Sleeping Beauty either. How are they culturally and historically significant?

I would love The Little Mermaid in there, but that will not happen probably. They could possibly just stick with the three Disney Classics they already have in there.
Those three aren't the only in there. Beauty and the Beast was induced in 2002 and Toy Story got in the year after. Steamboat Willie is on there too.

Personally, the only other Disney films I could see on that (rather pointless) list are Bambi and The Lion King. Everyone knows who Bambi is, even if they haven't seen the movie. Of course I always knew it as "the movie where Bambi's mum gets shot..." The Lion King is practically a modern update/version of the story, adding new elements that reflect the world's changing ideals.

And if it weren't for the over-commercialization of the Disney princess which seriously undermined the movies, I think The Little Mermaid deserves to be there too.

Author:  UmbrellaFish [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

yukitora wrote:

And if it weren't for the over-commercialization of the Disney princess which seriously undermined the movies, I think The Little Mermaid deserves to be there too.


Yeah, it truth, I think that the reason most people don't like it. Mind you, I didn't say all. Everyone has different tastes.


Is still don't understand why Mary Poppins isn't on the list. I've checked before and it's not there. Really, it's one of Disney best, technological, and highest grossing films ever.*


* I doubt it's still THE highest grossing, but I believe it was up until its release.

Author:  Disney's Divinity [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Now that I think of it, I can't believe Mary Poppins isn't on that list either.

yukitora wrote:
Those three aren't the only in there. Beauty and the Beast was induced in 2002 and Toy Story got in the year after. Steamboat Willie is on there too.

Personally, the only other Disney films I could see on that (rather pointless) list are Bambi and The Lion King. Everyone knows who Bambi is, even if they haven't seen the movie. Of course I always knew it as "the movie where Bambi's mum gets shot..." The Lion King is practically a modern update/version of the story, adding new elements that reflect the world's changing ideals.

And if it weren't for the over-commercialization of the Disney princess which seriously undermined the movies, I think The Little Mermaid deserves to be there too.
Well, nearly every financially successful film has been over-commercialized to an extent, though the Disney Princesses are obviously the worst case (which Belle is a part of as well). I also think nearly every example I posted is culturally significant simply because everyone knows those characters (not just from the stories themselves, but from the Disney versions). Cruella, Cinderella, Dumbo and Tinker Bell are known by nearly everyone. And then there's the famous spaghetti scene from L&tT. The Fab Four aren't nearly as iconic as most of the oldies, but an entire generation grew up loving them. That should count for something.

I actually think most Disney films should be on that list, simply because many many children grow up on them thus making them all culturally significant.

Author:  Rumpelstiltskin [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

One thing which separetes the old classics from the newer films is that in their time, they were the first of their kind. The way it was done, which no longer exists, also added som elements of the visual impression.
But I agree, many of the Disney characters are so familiar among children and adults all over the world that it is no doubt the films have had a huge cultural impact.

Author:  yukitora [ Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Disney's Divinity wrote:

yukitora wrote:
Those three aren't the only in there. Beauty and the Beast was induced in 2002 and Toy Story got in the year after. Steamboat Willie is on there too.

Personally, the only other Disney films I could see on that (rather pointless) list are Bambi and The Lion King. Everyone knows who Bambi is, even if they haven't seen the movie. Of course I always knew it as "the movie where Bambi's mum gets shot..." The Lion King is practically a modern update/version of the story, adding new elements that reflect the world's changing ideals.

And if it weren't for the over-commercialization of the Disney princess which seriously undermined the movies, I think The Little Mermaid deserves to be there too.
Well, nearly every financially successful film has been over-commercialized to an extent, though the Disney Princesses are obviously the worst case (which Belle is a part of as well). I also think nearly every example I posted is culturally significant simply because everyone knows those characters (not just from the stories themselves, but from the Disney versions). Cruella, Cinderella, Dumbo and Tinker Bell are known by nearly everyone. And then there's the famous spaghetti scene from L&tT. The Fab Four aren't nearly as iconic as most of the oldies, but an entire generation grew up loving them. That should count for something.

I actually think most Disney films should be on that list, simply because many many children grow up on them thus making them all culturally significant.
I don't disagree, I was thinking the same thing :lol: Especially Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella. But I think movies should be on there for the movies themselves, not just because of a famous scene or character. More often than not, people have no idea about the actual stories of these movies...

Very good point though, thanks for the insight!

Author:  rougescrooge [ Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Short cartoons can also be entered, so I would also lobby for eventual inclusion for at least The Band Concert and The Old Mill for sure, maybe alos including Brave Little Tailor and Clock Cleaners, which made the Top 50 Cartoons list back in 1994.

Most of the features probably will make the registry eventually. I'd say Bambi should probably be the next to make it.

Author:  castleinthesky [ Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

The National Film Registry is very biased against animated films, not only towards Disney films but to Ghibli films and other important films.

Films that should be on the list but aren't: Akira, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki, Ghost in the Shell, and the large list of culturally significant Disney films.

Author:  Rumpelstiltskin [ Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:07 am ]
Post subject: 

One of the reasons that the are so few animated titles on the list is because it is produced so few animated films compared to live action, so stastically, there will be more live action. It is also more rare that animated movies have a big impact on the society. But there are still enough examples that could be added, and hopefully they will also gradually be included.

Ghibli films will never be a part of the collection because it is called "The National Film Registry", in other words only American shorts and features.

Author:  farerb [ Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The National Film Registry

What is the year in which each film was entered into the NFR?

Author:  Escapay [ Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The National Film Registry

1989: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
1990: Fantasia (1940)
1994: Pinocchio (1940)
1998: Steamboat Willie (1928)
2000: The Living Desert (1953)
2002: Beauty and the Beast (1991)
2007: Three Little Pigs (1933)
2008: Disneyland Dream (1956)
2011: Bambi (1942)
2013: Mary Poppins (1964)
2015: The Old Mill (1937)
2015: The Story of Menstruation (1946)
2016: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
2016: The Lion King (1994)
2017: Dumbo (1941)

Not listed are titles from their acquired studios (20th Century Fox, Jim Henson, Lucasfilm, Pixar). But I did include the independent film Disneyland Dream since the second half of the film is set at Disneyland itself.

In addition, NFR has nominations open to the public, with deadline every September and the announcement in December. You're allowed to nominate up to 50 films. I nominated the following 8 Disney films for inclusion this year, with the other 42 non-Disney, so I didn't list them:

The Band Concert (1935)
Der Fuehrer's Face (1942)
Cinderella (1950)
Peter Pan (1953)
Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (1953)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Aladdin (1992)

Albert

Author:  farerb [ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The National Film Registry

Escapay wrote:
1989: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
1990: Fantasia (1940)
1994: Pinocchio (1940)
1998: Steamboat Willie (1928)
2000: The Living Desert (1953)
2002: Beauty and the Beast (1991)
2007: Three Little Pigs (1933)
2008: Disneyland Dream (1956)
2011: Bambi (1942)
2013: Mary Poppins (1964)
2015: The Old Mill (1937)
2015: The Story of Menstruation (1946)
2016: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
2016: The Lion King (1994)
2017: Dumbo (1941)

Not listed are titles from their acquired studios (20th Century Fox, Jim Henson, Lucasfilm, Pixar). But I did include the independent film Disneyland Dream since the second half of the film is set at Disneyland itself.

In addition, NFR has nominations open to the public, with deadline every September and the announcement in December. You're allowed to nominate up to 50 films. I nominated the following 8 Disney films for inclusion this year, with the other 42 non-Disney, so I didn't list them:

The Band Concert (1935)
Der Fuehrer's Face (1942)
Cinderella (1950)
Peter Pan (1953)
Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (1953)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Aladdin (1992)

Albert


Thank you :)

Author:  willard [ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The National Film Registry

Escapay wrote:
In addition, NFR has nominations open to the public, with deadline every September and the announcement in December. You're allowed to nominate up to 50 films. I nominated the following 8 Disney films for inclusion this year, with the other 42 non-Disney, so I didn't list them:

The Band Concert (1935)
Der Fuehrer's Face (1942)
Cinderella (1950)
Peter Pan (1953)
Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom (1953)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Aladdin (1992)


I would add Motor Mania (1950). Not sure if there is much significance to some of those features.

Author:  Escapay [ Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The National Film Registry

willard wrote:
I would add Motor Mania (1950).

The nomination deadline for this year was in September, so I can't really change what I selected, but you're more than welcome to send in your nominations next year and include the short if you'd like.

Albert

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/