DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 am 
Platinum Edition

Cinderella got inducted Wedsndsay, December 12, 2018. 12 like midnight!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

When will the 2019 films be announced?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 am 
Platinum Edition

The 2019 films have been announced. Sleeping Beauty and Old Yeller have been inducted. Full list of films in the link below:

https://deadline.com/2019/12/national-f ... 202806279/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:25 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

That's really great to hear. Sleeping Beauty truly deserves it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

Every year there's a film they induct that I'm shocked wasn't already in the NFR. Old Yeller is one of those.

Aida OBC ~ "Written in the Stars"
Aida OBC ~ "I Know the Truth"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Both really do deserve it.

There's a lot of really good additions this year, including a few of my favorites- Clerks, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Amadeus. Also noteworthy is Gaslight, which I believe has Angela Lansbury's first performance. On the Disney side, I'm hoping for a Jungle Book addition next year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

My hopes are for basically every Signature Collection title that isn't already there + Alice in Wonderland.
I don't know what's the status of films with DI and if they are eligible cause they don't really need preservation but if they can enter then WALL-E would be a nice addition as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

So glad to see both films, especially Sleeping Beauty added. I hope Alice in Wonderland gets the same treatment someday.

Avaitor wrote:

There's a lot of really good additions this year, including a few of my favorites- Clerks, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Amadeus. Also noteworthy is Gaslight, which I believe has Angela Lansbury's first performance. On the Disney side, I'm hoping for a Jungle Book addition next year.

I'm really shocked Gaslight wasn't in there before. I love Angela Lansbury's performance in that.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

Avaitor wrote:

Oh, that’s wonderful. I didn’t open the website because Deadline is always difficult to load for my dial-up connection and I thought I'd check out more about the inductees later. :lol: Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:05 am 
Platinum Edition

Yes, congratulations to Sleeping Beauty! I didn't expect it to get in before certain others, but it totally makes sense. It's a masterpiece aesthetically!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

farerb wrote:
I don't know what's the status of films with DI and if they are eligible cause they don't really need preservation but if they can enter then WALL-E would be a nice addition as well.

A movie has to be at least ten years old in order to be eligible to enter (Toy Story actually got in the first year it was eligible in 2005), so Wall-E became eligible last year. I wouldn't be surprised if more Pixar films are eventually added in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:15 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
farerb wrote:

A movie has to be at least ten years old in order to be eligible to enter (Toy Story actually got in the first year it was eligible in 2005), so Wall-E became eligible last year. I wouldn't be surprised if more Pixar films are eventually added in the future.

Yes. But Toy Story isn't a film which was originally presented in DCP so it needs preservation, unlike Pixar films who came out after 2005.

Edit: nevermind. I saw that yes you can add films with DCP. Though I don't know how much I'll want Pixar films in yhere before many Walt's films.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:54 pm 
Limited Edition

As most people are aware, Sleeping Beauty was considered a failure during its first run. Walt Disney himself would have felt satisfied that at least the future would give it some recognition.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:52 am 
Platinum Edition

That's true Rumplestiltskin!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:16 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wasn't Sleeping Beauty the biggest film of 1959 though? Its budget was more to blame than anything else, just like with Tangled. It wasn't really a failure with audiences the way The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, etc. were.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:47 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Wasn't Sleeping Beauty the biggest film of 1959 though? Its budget was more to blame than anything else, just like with Tangled. It wasn't really a failure with audiences the way The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, etc. were.

Yes. That's what I heard. It was the second most successful film in 1959 but still lost money because of its budget.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:50 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It is the second most successful film of 1959 including all re-releases. In 1959, Sleeping Beauty didn’t crack the top ten and grossed less than Disney’s The Shaggy Dog, also released that year. In Walt’s lifetime, Sleeping Beauty was definitely considered a failure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

UmbrellaFish wrote:
It is the second most successful film of 1959 including all re-releases. In 1959, Sleeping Beauty didn’t crack the top ten and grossed less than Disney’s The Shaggy Dog, also released that year. In Walt’s lifetime, Sleeping Beauty was definitely considered a failure.

That makes more sense. Thank you for this correction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
In their original runs, The Shaggy Dog made 8.1 million and Sleeping Beauty made 7.7 million.

Anyway I'd recommend this thread for others who want better info. than I could give. Those numbers also come from there. Although I did do an estimated ticket sales list several years ago, and Sleeping Beauty's original release is right below its "including all re-releases" total and both are in the top 10, although I haven't updated the list in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

A listing from Variety in 1961 says it earned the studio $5.3 million. https://archive.org/details/variety221-1961-01/page/n47

Escapay would know better, of course, so maybe he will pop in.