The National Film Registry

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The National Film Registry

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:But you didn't make fun of him. You just pointed the irony in his prediction. You have nothing to apologize for.
Well, it certainly wasn't my intention to make fun of the author of that article, but I realized it could sound as I was, so I decided to apologize because that was easier than explaining why I wrote what I wrote. The truth is that I was doubting between "interesting", "curious" or "funny", but I finally chose the latter, plus I made it worse by adding a laughing emoji at the end (which I later deleted), that I added just to make it clear it wasn't the other meaning of funny. I always doubt of using that word, as its meanings are so different from each other in English that to me it seems easy to misinterpret. Anyway, thanks for your words. I'm glad you understood my comment the way I intended it.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DB2, I didn't get the impression at all that you were making fun of the writer. When I wrote I wasn't going to make fun of him, I was just speaking for myself and wasn't referring to your comment. Your post was perfectly innocent and it wouldn't surprise me if the article writer himself has looked back at this article and laughed about those predictions he made.

I remember predicting the new "Charlie's Angels" movie with Kristen Stewart that opened some time back would be a huge hit and I laugh at myself whenever I think about how way off-base I was. I also thought "The Passion of the Christ" would be a massive flop back in the day. Whoops.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for clearing that up, estefan. I wasn't sure if you were referring to my comment or not, but I decided to apologize just in case. By the way, when I said I was glad Sotiris understood my comment the way I intended it, I didn't say it because of you either, but I'm glad you didn't have a problem with what I wrote. :)

I have predicted things wrong many times too. It's not easy to guess what audiences in general will like, not even for professionals, as we can see with the writer of that article or on many other occasions.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I submitted my personal picks to the NFM for this year. As I read the last page of this thread, I just now realized again that Aladdin hadn't been nominated. I guess because I remembered talking about it here, I thought it was inducted last year. But that was Shrek. :facepalm: Oh, well, sorry about that, but I only nominated The Little Mermaid and One Hundred and One Dalmatians because I forgot Aladdin wasn't there yet. (The only other animated films I nominated were The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline.) I know only 1 animated film a year makes it, unfortunately. TLM is the one I most hope makes it, but I think TLM, Aladdin, and Dalmatians all deserve it; I think those three should've been added before Shrek, although I do think Shrek deserves a place there for better or worse. I would've included Frozen; just two more years before it can be submitted now. I guess you could make a case for Pocahontas, Hunchback, Mulan, Tarzan, and Lilo & Stitch. I suppose TP&TF for being one of the last hand-drawn films and featuring the first (one of the first?) major Black characters in animated film with Tiana. Moana may eventually be inducted, too, I think. I believe it kind of has the same level of recognition with the current generation of children as Pocahontas and Mulan did back when, which means the property will only grow in recognition as that generation grows up likewise.

It's a shame how many movies aren't there yet. Every year, my reaction is usually, "That should've already been in there." Like with Grease last year, for example. Most of the classic Stephen King films aren't there yet either (Carrie, Misery, Cujo, Christine). I know this is a dumb question, but can foreign films be nominated here? I thought about several Ghibli films, naturally. If they can, I'll try to nominate some of those next year. I'm not sure if Don Bluth will ever get a film in there... I wouldn't be surprised if pull and money plays a part in the selections (just like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, for example), and I don't think he has much pull. :(
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rsandcm1
Limited Issue

Post by rsandcm1 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I submitted my personal picks to the NFM for this year. As I read the last page of this thread, I just now realized again that Aladdin hadn't been nominated. I guess because I remembered talking about it here, I thought it was inducted last year. But that was Shrek. :facepalm: Oh, well, sorry about that, but I only nominated The Little Mermaid and One Hundred and One Dalmatians because I forgot Aladdin wasn't there yet. (The only other animated films I nominated were The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline.) I know only 1 animated film a year makes it, unfortunately. TLM is the one I most hope makes it, but I think TLM, Aladdin, and Dalmatians all deserve it; I think those three should've been added before Shrek, although I do think Shrek deserves a place there for better or worse. I would've included Frozen; just two more years before it can be submitted now. I guess you could make a case for Pocahontas, Hunchback, Mulan, Tarzan, and Lilo & Stitch. I suppose TP&TF for being one of the last hand-drawn films and featuring the first (one of the first?) major Black characters in animated film with Tiana. Moana may eventually be inducted, too, I think. I believe it kind of has the same level of recognition with the current generation of children as Pocahontas and Mulan did back when, which means the property will only grow in recognition as that generation grows up likewise.

It's a shame how many movies aren't there yet. Every year, my reaction is usually, "That should've already been in there." Like with Grease last year, for example. Most of the classic Stephen King films aren't there yet either (Carrie, Misery, Cujo, Christine). I know this is a dumb question, but can foreign films be nominated here? I thought about several Ghibli films, naturally. If they can, I'll try to nominate some of those next year. I'm not sure if Don Bluth will ever get a film in there... I wouldn't be surprised if pull and money plays a part in the selections (just like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, for example), and I don't think he has much pull. :(

I can see "The Little Mermaid", "Aladdin" and maybe "101 Dalmatians". The stretch of "Pocahontas" to "Lilo & Stitch" are not as highly remembered, so that would be a much tougher case of getting them in.
Yes, it is annoying that some movies aren't in there, but it makes it a very exclusive club and that is what keeps the honour prestigious. I think that "Old Yeller" should have gotten in much earlier than it did.

In terms of Stephen King, he is much better known for his writing, whereas the film adaptations have always been hit or miss. "The Shining" is already in the Registry, so that is one in his favour. "Carrie" I could certainly see getting in at some point. "Misery" could maybe get in down the line, and it wouldn't surprise me. "Cujo" and "Christine" I don't think will be candidates as they did not huge critically or financially. The Stephen King film I have voted for for the last 11 years has been "Stand By Me". I hope it gets in soon.

And yes, you can certainly nominate foreign films and any films you want to vote for. Just you need to keep in mind that the choices they make are based around the legacy and importance they have in the U.S. I think the best shot Don Bluth would have would be "The Secret Of NIHM". It did very well on initial release, and has stayed in the public consciousness since that point.

And for your last comment: it wouldn't give me a heart attack of shock to find out money plays a part in choices, as money plays a role in everything nowadays, but I would be a little surprised because they take their choices very seriously when it comes to this every year. Plus, I believe the group of people changes every year.
Disney's Divinity

In that case, Spirited Away is a shoo-in. I remember that one being a big deal in the U.S. I only remember Howl's Moving Castle getting a lot of attention besides that one. If it was only about quality, so many of them (particularly Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa) would belong there.

Yeah, I was thinking either Secret of NIMH or Land Before Time had the best chance (the latter because Steven Spielberg was involved). I agree that that secondary list of Pocahontas, Mulan, etc. definitely would be more surprising, but they could show up someday, who knows. Unfortunately, I see PIXAR's filmography clogging up the 1 animated film per year for a decade or more. I'm not sure if any more Dreamworks films would make it--How to Train Your Dragon perhaps?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan, and Lilo & Stich don't seem prestigious enough for this registry. I mean, they are not as popular or of the same quality as other Disney films. Only Hunchback and The Princess and the Frog are worthy because the former had balls never seen in a Disney flick before and the latter had Disney's first Black princess.

Wasn't Anastasia by Don Bluth? I would nominate that one.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I definitely agree with everyone who said Aladdin deserves to be included in the National Film Registry. I was kinda surprised it wasn't already included. I think it deserves it far more than Shrek.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

There is a movement for Song of the South to be recognized. I thank God everyday that I live in a continent where the movie is not banned by the wokes.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/ ... m-registry
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

The National Film Registry Class of 2021 has been announced, and three Disney-owned films were selected: the Silly Symphony "Flowers and Trees" (1932), "Return of the Jedi" (1983) and "WALL-E" (2008).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235061843/
Disney's Divinity

I guess we'll have to wait 20 years for all the PIXAR garbage to be inducted before anything by WDAS will get a chance again. :roll: I don't feel it's inaccurate to say that TLM, Aladdin, and Dalmatians all had more impact on the world and industry than WALL E. TLM and Aladdin set a model that nearly all American animated films (WDAS or not) imitated for ages and ages. They're still being imitated in a lot of ways when you look at Moana, Encanto, Coco. I don't even remember WALL E having an impact on culture aside from a bunch of conservatives ranting about a children's film acknowledging climate change.

And I suppose we should start betting odds now that the Lin-Manuel Miranda movies get in before TLM and Aladdin, too, considering he's a friend of the elite in charge of these things whereas Menken was so disregarded, the Oscars changed the rules just to block him out.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

In the sixteen years since Toy Story was added, the National Film Registry has added five WDAS movies. Four of them (The Lion King, Dumbo, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty) were added from 2016 to 2019. WALL-E is only the second Pixar feature to be inducted, while Shrek is the only non-Disney animated feature to be added. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was also included in 2016. So the people responsible for selecting these films definitely have a preference for Walt Disney Animation over any other animation studio.

One animated film I'm personally surprised hasn't been added yet is The Nightmare Before Christmas. That movie utilised a lot of innovations in stop-motion animation and remains highly regarded as an imaginative piece of filmmaking today. But I'm sure it will become part of the National Film Registry at some point.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The induction of Wall-E is admittedly a bit of a headscratcher. While the film was well-received the year it was released, it didn't have much of a cultural impact nor did it feature any major technological advances or innovative filmmaking techniques. There are a ton of animated movies, both Disney and non-Disney, much more worthy of the honor.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote: So the people responsible for selecting these films definitely have a preference for Walt Disney Animation over any other animation studio.
That's a flimsy deflect. The four WDAS films you're referencing ranged from 30 to 80 years older than something like WALL E; naturally they would get in more before PIXAR because for nearly 60 years, WDAS were the only major animation studio in America.

Something like WALL E is clearly a case of being rushed ahead to the front of the line over a long list of films more impactful and decades older than it. TLK getting in only when it's around a quarter of a century old versus WALL E in in 13 years? And which do you think had the bigger impact on culture? :lol: And SB, Cinderella, and Dumbo all from the '50s and '40s only barely get in before a film barely over a decade old and not with even a 10th of the impact they've had. Just absurd.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I love Wall-E, it's probably my favorite Pixar movie period. But there's no way it should be added in before 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.

"Flowers and Trees", though, I have no problem with the induction. It's a significant short, and still pretty fun, too.
Disney's Divinity

As far as films that deal with nature and mankind's adverse effect on it, I still think FernGully: The Last Rainforest is the quintessential one. I'm speaking mostly as a child that grew up with all these films (and Captain Planet) and thinking of which had the most impact on me. It has its imperfections for sure, but I always thought it was well-done because the protagonist was sort of like an Ariel type as far as being in her own little world concerned with trivial pursuits not even thinking about what Magi is talking about rather than being this lecturing figure the way, say, Esmeralda and Pocahontas from preachy films around the same time period were. The preachiness of Pocahontas, which also partly revolved around environmentalism, just isn't as effective on that score to me even if I do find the music to be beautiful? The funny thing is what most impacted me as a child in that way in regards to Pocahontas wasn't even from the movie itself, it was from the Sega game based on it that I grew up with, where you had to take on the "spirit" of all these different animals in order to beat the game. They imitated the animations from when she's running to save John Smith and she has several animated effects around her, such as an eagle when she sings, "Help my feet to fly."

I suppose it's Magi that really makes FernGully work on that level for me. I love the voice actress' performance and the design and how she sacrifices herself at the end, it was very well-done. I love how they show her power in one scene when she makes all the trees bend for her to see the smoke in the distance; and she was one of the first powerful older female mentor figures in American animated films. The trend of the wise grandmother character who's in touch with nature (Grandmother Willow, Grandmother Fa, Tala, the shaman in Brother Bear, etc.) wasn't present in WDAS films until after this film happened and Magi is more effective than those characters in part because she actually has power of her own as well as an effect on the plot. The animation for the trees that grow at the end is so, so gorgeous--one of my favorite moments in an animated film and is one of those along with the underwater movements in TLM that inspired me to draw growing up. The message is probably most effective to me in the "Can't you feel its pain?" scene and the sort of tense scene where Crysta finds the trees that have been torn down, the score is really effective there. And Magi's line about all the power of creation being in a single, tiny seed. The fact that the main villain is a spirit of destruction rather than humans outright was a clever choice. I think you're more likely to get people to listen to a message when the story doesn't feel like it's pointing fingers at the audience directly. It's similar to how I feel like Triton's horror at Ariel being in love with a human probably had a bigger impact on minds than films like Hunchback and Pocahontas that were more literal and explicit with the messages about hatred and racism. Metaphors have a stronger power, imo.

FernGully actually premiered at the United Nations, from what I've read--the only animated film ever to have done so, I believe? It's a shame it's not really owned by a major studio to push it for something like this Registry. :( (Btw, I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring Ghibli, which has so many incredible films about nature, too, from Spirited Away to Nausicaa and so on. I tried to keep it to American films to keep this post shorter. :P )
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Little Mermaid has finally been added to the registry!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235281160/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's embarrassing that they took a screenshot from the TV series instead of the movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It was about time! I'm very glad it has been added to the registry.
Farerb wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:13 am It's embarrassing that they took a screenshot from the TV series instead of the movie.
Yeah, especially for a major news site like The Hollywood Reporter.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Great news!