The National Film Registry

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The National Film Registry

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, I was reading that through "Sleeping Beauty"'s and the "1959 in film"'s Wikipedia pages, so I'm not really sure? It does say the number comes from distributor's share of the gross only. *shrug*
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:As most people are aware, Sleeping Beauty was considered a failure during its first run. Walt Disney himself would have felt satisfied that at least the future would give it some recognition.
I'm glad that after Walt's passing, the company still give recognition to his films that were considered commercial failures and thus breathed new life into them, granting them the classic status. I only wish Disney would continue to do the same for their more recent films, mainly Hunchback, but even a few others like Treasure Planet. This revisionist history that Disney's last great film before Tangled or Frozen was The Lion King has really hurt their legacy imo.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Shrek Has Been Inducted Into the National Film Registry
https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/nationa ... shrek.html

There are seven animated films I would have put there before Shrek :?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, I like Shrek and all, but I would've put The Jungle Book and The Nightmare Before Christmas in here before it.
Disney's Divinity

I think Aladdin was inducted a year or two ago, right? It's hard for me to remember everything that's been inducted prior. I think The Little Mermaid, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, and The Nightmare Before Christmas all deserve it. I do think Shrek has cultural value--for better or worse--so I'm not really complaining about that. I think all these films will be inducted eventually, if later than they deserved (mostly because animated films aren't treated equal to live-action films in the industry)
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

There are seventy animated films I would put there before Shrek
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I get what everyone is saying about Shrek, but the National Film Registry isn't just about quality. It's also about cultural or historical significance. And whether we like it or not Shrek was significant.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think Aladdin was inducted a year or two ago, right? It's hard for me to remember everything that's been inducted prior. I think The Little Mermaid, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, and The Nightmare Before Christmas all deserve it. I do think Shrek has cultural value--for better or worse--so I'm not really complaining about that. I think all these films will be inducted eventually, if later than they deserved (mostly because animated films aren't treated equal to live-action films in the industry)
Aladdin has yet to make it in.
Sotiris wrote:I get what everyone is saying about Shrek, but the National Film Registry isn't just about quality. It's also about cultural or historical significance. And whether we like it or not Shrek was significant.
True.
Disney's Divinity

I'm surprised Aladdin wasn't inducedt in the years following Robin Williams' death actually. The only thing weird about Shrek getting in before those films is that it's a film that mocks those films... Wouldn't they have more cultural value having been the film's inspiration?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It is strange Aladdin hasn't been inducted yet. I figured it was because of the controversy surrounding the film, but checking the NFR database I found they've included much more controversial and problematic work, so that can't the reason. It turns out a lot of important WDAS films have yet to be inducted such as Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, and The Little Mermaid. :shock:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hence why I said 7 films (including 101 Dalmatians).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Shrek is actually the first non-Disney animated feature to be inducted into the National Film Registry. So maybe this is the first step towards including other animated films beyond those produced by Disney. Fritz the Cat seems like an obvious candidate for the future. Maybe The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail and Chicken Run, too.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

I thought Toy Story had been inducted.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^It was. estefan was probably including it as a Disney film since it's actually owned by Disney. These are all the animated films that have been added to the Registry so far by order of induction:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - 1989
Fantasia - 1990
Pinocchio - 1994
Beauty and the Beast - 2002
Toy Story - 2005
Bambi - 2011
The Lion King - 2016
Dumbo - 2017
Cinderella - 2018
Sleeping Beauty - 2019
Shrek - 2020
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry

And here are all the films from Disney including live-action, shorts and documentaries: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/National_Film_Registry
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Speaking of Shrek, I'm reading some old 'stuff' on the Internet, and *just* came across this (about predictions for 2001 animated films' box office):

https://www.awn.com/animationworld/movie-movie
Monday, January 1, 2001
Shrek (DreamWorks/PDI). Projected release: May, 2001. This tale of a chubby green ogre who fights on the side of justice has had achoppy production history. The ogre's original voice, Chris Farley died. Another major character, the princess, was to be voiced by Jeanane Garofalo but she left the project. Director Kelly Asbury literally switched horses and ended up on DreamWork's Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron instead. Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz eventually filled the vacated voice roles, and a co-directing team consisting of Andrew Adamson and Victoria Jenson finally took the reins. Eddie Murphy signed on as the voice of an ill-tempered but loyal donkey, and Shrek soldiered on into its fourth year of production. Animation insiders indicate that DreamWorks recently killed their plans for showing the film in IMAX widescreen 3D format, due to the additional production costs. The only question that remains is, will this movie be worth all the effort? There are many good reasons why the film should do well, but in watching the trailer, I somehow came away with the impression that Shrek might not fulfill expectations. To begin with, there were far too many in-jokes aimed at Disney, Eddie Murphy's shtick sounded distressingly familiar, and the fairy-tale setting seemed antiquated. Finally, the CGI-generated characters did not look especially notable, Shrek in particular. The audiences will ultimately decide, but don't be surprised if this film turns out to be the Dark Crystal of 2001. Predicted gross: $26 million.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^It's funny how wrong the person who wrote that article was. He predicted Atlantis would gross $107 million and Shrek just $26 million.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It is fascinating reading those predictions. But predictions are allowed to be wrong, so I'm not going to make fun of him. I'm sure the writer himself probably thinks back and goes "woah, I really underestimated Shrek's appeal."

He was definitely confident on Osmosis Jones and The Powerpuff Girls Movie, although in the writer's defense, the show was popular when the article was published and he couldn't have foreseen Warner Bros giving the movie so little marketing.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:It is fascinating reading those predictions. But predictions are allowed to be wrong, so I'm not going to make fun of him. I'm sure the writer himself probably thinks back and goes "woah, I really underestimated Shrek's appeal."
You're right, I'm sorry I made fun of him.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:You're right, I'm sorry I made fun of him.
But you didn't make fun of him. You just pointed the irony in his prediction. You have nothing to apologize for.
Disney's Divinity

If only his predictions in regards to Atlantis and Shrek had been right. The animated landscape would probably be better these days.