Pixar's Brave (formerly The Bear and the Bow)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

toonaspie wrote:Hmm...from some of these posts I'm reading, I think you guys are being a little too hard on Pixar.

First off, we all know that Pixar is capable of making great movies. You guys are making sound as if Pixar doesnt make their next films up to the standards of Up or Toy Story 3 then it's the end of the world. Even their lower rated films like A Bug's Life and Cars are still being considered classics and are remembered in their own right. And Pixar still has most of its successful storytellers on board for their future films. Even if Cars 2 and Brave arent going to be perfect films, they're still gonna be sure-fire moneymakers and memorable films.

I wouldnt preach the end of a studio until the films start bombing at the box office. TS3 has become Pixar's first film to reach a billion worldwide so I dont think there's no real need to worry about anything for a while.

Could TS3 be considered Pixar's "Lion King"? Only the box office and critical results of future Pixar films can determine this.

Production issues doesnt always equal disaster.
We are not being hard on Pixar. We are just speculating as to what could decisions lead to.

It IS kind of disheartening that all of this is going on. The approval of sequels while canceling or completely changing original film concepts can lead to some speculation as to what is going on at Pixar. The sequels alone could be worrisome.

I mean, this is the company that became huge because of great, entertaining and original film franchises. If they did a sequel it was because Disney somehow forced them to, as was the case with the second and third Toy Story. But now we have two sequels coming up, an original film was canceled and a new movie is undergoing drastic changes.

Not to mention that they ordered Disney sequels to be canceled while they are channeling their own sequels and DTV projects.

Does this mean that Pixar is done? Of course not. Again, this could eventually lead to something greater than any of us expect. We are just surprised that Pixar is doing these things.
ImageImageImageImage

Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Don't assume they are against sequels, they arent. they avoided them early on, sure. they were worried about making sub par sequels, not sequels in general. They didn't do sequels before the merger because it didn't count toward their agreement in the Disney contract. They didn't realize that until it was too late when it came to toy story 2, but that's why we haven't seen one since.

John canceled DTV Disney sequels because they were Bad ideas that only served to dilute the brand. A proper sequel doesn't do that. nor does something like car-toons. its an alternate universe that exists on its own. this is probably how it will be with planes too.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Kyle wrote:Don't assume they are against sequels, they arent. they avoided them early on, sure. they were worried about making sub par sequels, not sequels in general. They didn't do sequels before the merger because it didn't count toward their agreement in the Disney contract. They didn't realize that until it was too late when it came to toy story 2, but that's why we haven't seen one since.

John canceled DTV Disney sequels because they were Bad ideas that only served to dilute the brand. A proper sequel doesn't do that. nor does something like car-toons. its an alternate universe that exists on its own. this is probably how it will be with planes too.
Like I said, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until the final product is released.

It just a weird set of decisions that have come one after the other.
ImageImageImageImage

Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

This really is quite sad news. :( I'm hoping that it has nothing so much to do with the whole thing with trying to make girly movies less girly to attract male audiences (just like how Rapunzel got renamed). Nor do I hope that it was taken off her for being "too dark" or "too quirky". :roll: Either way, I wish Brenda Chapman the best of luck and hope things start to get better for her.
Disney Duster wrote:Anyway, so...she's had bad times at other studios? So...this may indicate she is not the best person to work with? She's probably to unique and/or too stubborn.
:roll:

Whether or not she's easy to work with, do you think that this is the nicest thing to write? She's obviously been through a rough few months, and I'm sure if she were reading this (not that I think she would be, but you never know), then she wouldn't be too happy. And do try and remember that she came to Pixar after being recommended by a former colleague (the late Joe Ranft).
Last edited by Wonderlicious on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Since Wondy mentioned it... How will Pixar handle the "girliness" of the subject matter?

This is Pixar's first fairy, first female character and first princess character. In the last few years these things have been labeled as TOO GIRLY for moviegoers.

Pixar is known for creating universal stories that everyone can understand and relate to regardless of gender. This being their first female centric film how will they do it?
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I don't know how they'll do it but I'm sure they'll find a way. I think most people would have seen The Incredibles as a "boys" film based on the premise, but Pixar managed to make a film that everyone seems to have loved, regardless of any demographic. I think they have some of the most skilled and imaginative people of any studio right now and find a way that makes it impossible to categorise their films. I don't really have any worries about Pixar at the moment, my only slight concern is whether they can maintain the quality of the films they have produced so far.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney comments on the situation.

http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/

While its true Brenda's is no longer directing, she is still part of the company as a member of the studio's brain trust since Toy Story 3. That's good to hear. sounds like she can still have input on the movie even if she's not on the project directly.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

That's great to know. I hope she gets to contribute to the movie in the same way that Glen Keane was still aboard for Tangled.
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Escapay wrote:Honestly, the only things I'm really excited for from Pixar now are their live-action productions (John Carter of Mars with Disney, and 1906).
But isn't 1906 not really being worked on right now, due to funding issues...? Not to put a damper on your excitedness for it...

pap64 wrote:It IS kind of disheartening that all of this is going on. The approval of sequels while canceling or completely changing original film concepts can lead to some speculation as to what is going on at Pixar. The sequels alone could be worrisome.
I sort of agree. Is Pixar so afraid of a flop that they're pretty much now just sticking with surefire hits, the sequels?
Kyle wrote:John canceled DTV Disney sequels because they were Bad ideas that only served to dilute the brand. A proper sequel doesn't do that. nor does something like car-toons. its an alternate universe that exists on its own. this is probably how it will be with planes too.
Bad ideas to him. Pixar sequels might be bad ideas to other people...
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Bad ideas to him. Pixar sequels might be bad ideas to other people...
To him, and most other people who witnessed the past decade of the cheapquels. There's a reason your average fan would much prefer the original over the sequels to the Disney classics. When Pixar does it you get a lot of people struggling to pick their favorite since they get better as they go on. Of course we only have the toy story sequels to go on so far, but if those were any indication the same will hold true for Cars and Monsters inc when those release.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Is Pixar so afraid of a flop that they're pretty much now just sticking with surefire hits, the sequels?
These are the same folks who got hits out of a film with a cooking rat, a mostly silent romance with two robots who mostly just speak each other's names and a story about an old man. I doubt they're just making these sequels, because they will be sure-fire successes. Plus, apparently, Pete Docter and Lee Unkrich are both supposedly working on new ideas for future Pixar films.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

Kyle wrote:There's a reason your average fan would much prefer the original over the sequels to the Disney classics. When Pixar does it you get a lot of people struggling to pick their favorite since they get better as they go on.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer the originals, too. And this other point of yours is a really good one, one that I hadn't thought of. But what I was thinking was more along the lines of, some people do like the Disney sequels, and some people don't think that they water down the originals; some people don't like how Pixar is making so many sequels, and some people think that Pixar is taking the easy way out. Of course, we don't know the reasons that Pixar is coming out with so many sequels...maybe they just coincidentally had lots of good ideas in a short period of time using these previously-used characters...

...Planes. Obviously it's not out yet, but we'll see about John pulling Disney DTVs when Planes comes out...

estefan wrote: I doubt they're just making these sequels, because they will be sure-fire successes. Plus, apparently, Pete Docter and Lee Unkrich are both supposedly working on new ideas for future Pixar films.
What I had meant was that, yes, it is disheartening about Pixar canceling Newt and now they're having issues with Brave, and yet they're chugging along with the sequels. Obviously we don't work for Pixar so we don't know about everything that goes on as far as problems or successes while making the films, but it does seem a little suspicious.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Princess Merida might be more authentic?

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

I really think that Princess Merida (pronnunciation?) sounds as though she'll be cool, but I hope that she's super authentic (Ie: Scottish accent, not stick thin, era-correct, NOT using the word "like" in, like, every, like, other, like, sentence, TOTALLY! :lol:)

I hope that "Brave" (I STILL wish that the movie were going to be called "The Bear and The Bow") is a super magical movie.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:idea:
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

The plot seems to be some sort of combo of Tangled and Mulan, so, here's the plot I've heard.
It says something about a tangled-haired princess who dreams of being an archer. Her parents disagree with her, and want her to stay with them. So she runs off WITH A PRINCE (-_-) to follow her dream or something like that.

I'm still incredibly confused though. Is this a musical? Merida or whatever her name is (keep on forgeting it,) is expected to be the second CGI Disney Princess (after Rapunzel)in the line. I just can't wait untill the trailer comes out.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Princess Merida might be more authentic?

Post by Tangled »

Jackoleen wrote:Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

I really think that Princess Merida (pronnunciation?) sounds as though she'll be cool, but I hope that she's super authentic (Ie: Scottish accent, not stick thin, era-correct, NOT using the word "like" in, like, every, like, other, like, sentence, TOTALLY! :lol:)

I hope that "Brave" (I STILL wish that the movie were going to be called "The Bear and The Bow") is a super magical movie.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:idea:
Like another long haired blonde princess we know? You know, one in a purple dress? I'm PRAYING she doesn't use a Scotish accent, but I'll just have to wait unill the trailer. How to Train your Dragon only had accents for adults, the teenagers sounded American.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

...and what exactly is wrong with a Scottish character having a Scottish accent?

That was my ONLY beef with How to Train Your Dragon actually. All the adults had Scottish accents and the kids had American. I would have liked one or the other all around.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I actually don't want to hear Reese Withered Spoon speak Scottish. She's still up for the lead role right?
blackcauldron85

PatrickvD wrote:I actually don't want to hear Reese Withered Spoon speak Scottish. She's still up for the lead role right?
Ditto. From what I remember, she's still Merida...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

PatrickvD wrote:I actually don't want to hear Reese Withered Spoon speak Scottish. She's still up for the lead role right?
Well, she's shown in a couple of films that she can handle a British accent. So, I'm sure if she works hard enough, she speak with a Scottish accent. If the character does speak with Scottish accent, that is, and if Witherspoon is unable to do so, it's unlike Pixar to replace her.

Ian Holm, John Ratzenberger, Brad Garrett and Janeane Garofalo were able to speak with convincing French accents in Ratatouille. Whose to say Witherspoon can't do Scottish?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

but Reese Witherspoon is of Scottish heritage though. It's in her blood, so I am pretty sure she could pick up a proper accent, IF she doesn't already know how. Scottish is not that difficult to speak.

(edited to ad that I bolded Witherspoon to emphasize her last name being of Scottish origin. I was not trying to correct you making a joke out of her last name)