Pixar's Brave (formerly The Bear and the Bow)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

So I have over 150 photos.. I'm editing them now. Maybe I'll just make an album on photobucket or something? Any ideas?
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I ended up uploading them to a photobucket album. :) It's password protected, though. The password is "dvdizzyusers" for those of you interested and there ended up being 135 images overall! There are a lot of things I left out from the book but this is really the bulk of it. I photographed and cropped these the best I could. A few of the images have a glare or shadow on them.

Be aware that there are a few spoilers throughout. Also, the images named "colorscript" essentially show a progression of the whole film from beginning to end. I didn't resize the images so they're huge! Haha look out for that... Hope you guys enjoy! :)

www.photobucket.com/braveconceptart

All of that being said, I'd definitely recommend picking up a copy of the book. It's beautiful!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Patrick wrote:I ended up uploading them to a photobucket album. The password is "dvdizzyusers" for those of you interested and there ended up being 135 images overall!

www.photobucket.com/braveconceptart

Wow, that's great! Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vmMPw49XwYk" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun May 27, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Last edited by Sotiris on Wed May 30, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

That featurette was great, easily the best in the series! It showed how Merida's relationship with her father is like, it taught us a bit of history and it was quite fun to watch. I especially like the ending with Queen Elinor.

"So, how was your lesson oh dear..."
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/australia/au-tv/pl ... "></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

What's Under the Kilt?: Producer Katherine Sarafian Helps Us Get to the Bottom of What it Takes to Make a Pixar Film
http://kidstvmovies.about.com/b/2012/05 ... r-film.htm

Fun Facts: The Making of Brave
http://kidstvmovies.about.com/od/Brave/ ... -Brave.htm

Reality with Style
http://www.anisecond.com/artikel/anisec ... /2420.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu May 31, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Qed9ykMV3s" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player ... "></iframe>
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

There's something about Brave I really want to rant about for a bit... the fanbase.

While I am happy to see Brave get so much hype before its release (especially since it is a brand new, original story set in an exotic land), I am a tad annoyed at the fanbase. Especially on Tumblr, Brave has been getting a following, which like I said don't mind as long as it results on great reviews and box office numbers. But the fans have begun to ruin the movie for a lot of people before it even comes out.

First there's the shipping (shipping is when someone pairs up two characters and pretend they are in an intimate relationship). We don't even fully know who these characters are beyond the basic descriptions of the official sources and the video clips, and yet people are imagining them as couples, especially the young lords after Merida's hand.

Second it's the worship of Merida as a character. I won't deny that Merida looks to be one of the most fascinating Pixar characters since Buzz and Woody first appeared in 1995. She looks to be a really fun character to see grow and evolve on screen. Yet the girls are going bonkers over her without really knowing how she will turn out. Not only that, they are dismissing the other Disney Princesses simply because Merida is "different", thus she is better. I know we have debated the Disney Princess issue to death around here, but I think it is unfair to compare them since they were all created at different eras under different ideas and audience expectations. It's OK if people prefer one over the other characters, fine, but to say that Merida trumps them because she is the rebel princess is just silly. And again, we have not seen the movie to know how he will evolve in the story.

Finally, fans have gone as far as to declare it THEIR ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE based on just the short trailers. People are infatuated over the promises the films offer rather than the film itself. We don't know how it will turn out. We know that parts of it all good, but we don't know how the full product will be. It could have pace issues, it could have character development problems, it could start off great and then lose steam. I understand being excited for the movie since it does look really good, but declaring it to be your favorite movie just because it promises to be good is just ridiculous. Not even The Avengers had this much pretense coming from the fanbase!

I am still looking forward to the movie of course, but I am going to take a break from the fanbase because they will end up running it to the ground before it even premieres next month.
ImageImageImageImage

magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

pap64 wrote:Not only that, they are dismissing the other Disney Princesses simply because Merida is "different", thus she is better. I know we have debated the Disney Princess issue to death around here, but I think it is unfair to compare them since they were all created at different eras under different ideas and audience expectations. It's OK if people prefer one over the other characters, fine, but to say that Merida trumps them because she is the rebel princess is just silly. And again, we have not seen the movie to know how he will evolve in the story.
Bleargh! Agreed with you pap64 on all your points. People are so quick to judge what is superior. I get why some Princesses are "better" than others but don't regard one as the best; find a great thing about each of them individually.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

It has gotten so bad that some people have openly admitted that if Merida sings or falls in love they are going to dismiss her completely...

I understand that Merida will be a different kind of princess. But just because she doesn't sing or falls in love that doesn't make her better or worse than ANY Disney character. Plus it is dismissing the talents of the people that created these characters, from the voice actors and actresses to the animators and designers. Like you said, magicalwands, each princess is unique in her own way.

Plus, I also don't like how people are exaggerating that Merida is the first Pixar heroine. Sure, she is the first FEMALE LEAD character, but what about the other characters that have played a big role in the story?

Take Princess Ada from A Bug's Life. She had a big responsibility to protect her colony. Even if she was intimidated by the grasshoppers, she fought hard for the well being of the colony and even stood up to them once she saw Flick being abused.

Then take Jessie the Cowgirl. She is just as tough and capable as Buzz and Woody, and provided the film with an emotional depth that does set up the plot of Toy Story 3.

Colette from Ratatouille is also a great example. She even fought hard because she realized that she is the only woman in the kitchen and does takes her job seriously. Not only that, she teaches Remy/Linguini how to cook.

Let's not forget Ellie from Up! SHE IS THE WHOLE REASON THE MOVIE EVEN HAS A PLOT! Oh yes, she only had one speaking scene, one flashback and she doesn't appear in the movie. But the whole reason of being for Carl was to make her dream come true. She shaped him and the whole story. Without her, there wouldn't be a reason for Carl to explore a better life, and learn that there are many adventures to enjoy, even in your winter years.

Dory is also a great character, even if she was purely comedic. So was Boo from Monster's Inc. Oh and yes... ELASTIGIRL!

Are we quick to forget this following line?

"And leave the world saving to the MEN? I DON'T THINK SO!"

And Edna Mode! She never fought a battle, but inspired Elastigirl to go out and fight for her family and man.

The Pixar films DO have great female characters. Just because they aren't the lead characters it does not mean they are worthless. Merida happens to be the first lead, but certainly not the first one. It's like people believe that a woman is only worth something when she acts like a man, which apparently people believe she is doing.

Falling in love with someone is natural. Raising a family is normal. Singing is natural. Why do all of a sudden these things seem to destroy the value of a woman? Sorry for rambling, but while Merida is a great character, I think she is beginning to get overhyped by obsessed girls.
Last edited by pap64 on Wed May 30, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Going to the midnight showing with some DCP buddies at Downtown Disney.

Oh hell yeah.
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Pap64 - totally agreed on all points. I've been avoiding tumblr for some time now, not just because of Brave, but just in general the sort of people it seems that tumblr attracts are those that literally spend every free second online, obsessing over things more than seems normal or healthy. It's all people that are proud to proclaim they are "from the internet" - people that speak in memes in real life ALL the time.

But yeah, the obsessiveness over Merida is too much. Like you said, she looks fun, and I'm fully prepared for Brave to become one of if not my favorite Pixar movie - it looks great. But I haven't seen it yet, I don't know much about the characters, and I don't even know much about the story! What really did it for me was the reaction to Merida at Disney Parks. It was like people either started bawling their eyes out in happiness or they started bashing on them for their accents, their smiles, etc... like hardcore bashing. So many people on tumblr don't have a middle ground - they go straight from 1 to 10, with nothing in between. I'm glad someone else is seeing it.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I dread to think of the kind of crazy, obsessive hype the fans would have given off for Ariel had Tumblr been around in 1989. :p
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vBwHvpLpp6o" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D10 Video: Ed Catmull Session Highlights
http://online.wsj.com/video/d10-video-e ... F5DD6.html

Pixar and Disney Animation President Ed Catmull Discusses 'Brave'
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 08341.post

Pixar Brave Highland Games Tournament Area in Epcot Readies for Opening - Including Sand Castle
http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=65

Princess Merida Meet and Greet Magic Kingdom, Fantasyland Photo Update
http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=65
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

At 75 pages, I think it is time for a new thread. Whoever makes the new thread, please be sure to provide a link back to this one.