DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sadé
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 1780
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ade-pitch/
https://www.themarysue.com/disney-sade- ... -princess/
https://deadline.com/2018/07/disney-sad ... 202434114/
Quote:
Disney has reportedly acquired the pitch for Sadé to be made into a live-action film.
The story is an African princess fairytale that’s based on an original work by Ola Shokunbi and Lindsey Reed Palmer.
Shokunbi and Palmer will co-write the screenplay and Rick Famuyiwa is attached to produce.
Scott Falconer will serve as executive producer, while Tendo Nagenda and Zoe Kent will oversee the project for the studio. However, no director has been named at this point.
Sadé will mark the first original Disney fairytale led by a female African character.
It’s unclear if this film will be developed for theatrical release or Disney’s upcoming streaming service.

Quote:
It centers on a young African girl named Sadé who, when her kingdom is threatened by a mysterious evil force, accepts her newly discovered magical warrior powers to protect herself and her people. With the help of the kingdom’s prince, Sadé embarks on an adventure that will allow her to embrace what makes her special and save the kingdom.

I always wanted Disney to make a proper African princess and set a story in Africa that doesn't involve animals or a European cast. I'm quite excited for this one although I wish it could have been an animated film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 11533
The project sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to it. Shuri's popularity from Black Panther surely played a role in Disney greenlighting it. Here's hoping its success will lead to a live-action Aida movie.

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I always wanted Disney to make a proper African princess and set a story in Africa that doesn't involve animals or a European cast. I'm quite excited for this one although I wish it could have been an animated film.

Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2709
Sotiris wrote:
Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.

Word. Unfortunately. Sighs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:31 am 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 1896
Location: Spain
It's great that Disney is going to make its first film with an African princess as a protagonist. The success of Black Panther is most likely what has made this movie possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:15 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 1780
Sotiris wrote:
Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.

It's interesting how many projects set in Africa that Disney passed up on. I wish we could have seen even one of them just to get one that was still in 2D animation. I was upset at first that this film would be in live-action but like you pointed out, I realized that the story would be wasted using the current Lasseter CGI template. At least it'll have a chance to be its own film in live-action format.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am
Posts: 87
I wonder if it is possible for these new live-action heroines like Clara or Sadé to become an 'un-official' princesses with the merch in the style of official line-up, like with Moana, Anna, Elsa. I don't think Disney mind having a live-action princess, since they wanted Giselle in a franchise. Just my thought, since they lately began using some elements from live-action remakes in the franchise, like naming Cinderella 'Ella' and having her wear a dress from the movie in one of the books.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 11533
Raf wrote:
I wonder if it is possible for these new live-action heroines like Clara or Sadé to become an 'un-official' princesses with merch in the style of official line-up.

It'd be down with that. It'd be cool to see cartoon clipart versions of heroines from Disney's live-action fairy tale/fantasy films.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 pm
Posts: 79
Disney Picks Up ‘Sadé’ Pitch, Fairytale About An African Princess; Rick Famuyiwa Producing

https://deadline.com/2018/07/disney-sade-fairytale-african-princess-rick-famuyiwa-producing-1202434114/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9928
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
The article didn't specify--is this going to be an animated film or live-action? I hope it's the former. The plot sounds interesting, although this'll be the 4th princess with magical powers after Rapunzel, Elsa, and Moana.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 1780
Previous articles have said that the film will be live-action. I'm a little surprised really because their original live-action films don't tend to do so well unlike their original animated features. And I would think Disney would want to capitalize on a new princess to join their franchise, especially an African princess. I suppose they prefer live-action though because it'll follow more closely in the vein of Black Panther.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:41 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2709
This is the fairy tale adaptation of an African Princess that Disney should've adapted in 2009 :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But joking aside, if Disney really should've made an African Princess, why not adapting one from an actual African fairy tale?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:08 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 1780
DisneyFan09 wrote:
This is the fairy tale adaptation of an African Princess that Disney should've adapted in 2009 :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But joking aside, if Disney really should've made an African Princess, why not adapting one from an actual African fairy tale?

This is my opinion too. I was never a fan of Disney making an American princess besides Pocahontas. Especially the first black princess being an African American princess from the 1920s, one of the most racial periods in American history (although that can be argued for pretty much an U.S. era). It seemed like Disney was too desperately trying to pander to the African American demographic by literally making their princess of the same background rather than from Africa. I was really hoping for Aida or any princess from an African folktale really so I'm quite excited for this film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:50 am 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:00 am
Posts: 63
Sadé seems to be a beautiful movie.
I think Lupita Nyong'o could be a good choice to do Sadé.
What do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 11533
I highly doubt this is true but...

Quote:
Q: Do you know of any plans for Nutcracker's Clara in the princess lineup? Is it possible/unlikely for live-action characters like her or Sade?

Skyler Shuler: No plans for Clara; Sade very possible.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 7392187393

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2709
veu wrote:
I think Lupita Nyong'o could be a good choice to do Sadé. What do you think?

She would be brilliant. She's extremely warm and likable, so she would've been a splendid choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 2709
JeanGreyForever wrote:
This is my opinion too. I was never a fan of Disney making an American princess besides Pocahontas. Especially the first black princess being an African American princess from the 1920s, one of the most racial periods in American history (although that can be argued for pretty much an U.S. era). It seemed like Disney was too desperately trying to pander to the African American demographic by literally making their princess of the same background rather than from Africa. I was really hoping for Aida or any princess from an African folktale really so I'm quite excited for this film.

I couldn't agree more! I don't mind the fact that Disney wanted to make an African American Princess, but Tiana's position in The Princess and the Frog is extremely contrived and shoehorned in, just for the sake of making her a Princess (when in fact the mere possibility of it is weird). If they should do an African American story, why having it be so radical and turning the girl into a frog?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9928
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Sotiris wrote:
I highly doubt this is true but...

Quote:
Q: Do you know of any plans for Nutcracker's Clara in the princess lineup? Is it possible/unlikely for live-action characters like her or Sade?

Skyler Shuler: No plans for Clara; Sade very possible.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 7392187393

There is no possibility whatsoever that will happen. The line is already overloaded; they're not going to make it worse by adding live-action characters.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 126
I thought they couldn't put live action because then they would have to pay royalties to the actresses for using their likeness and that's the reason why Giselle isn't in the line up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am
Posts: 87
farerb wrote:
I thought they couldn't put live action because then they would have to pay royalties to the actresses for using their likeness and that's the reason why Giselle isn't in the line up.

I think that was only Giselle case, since they can use any other live-action character without any problem.

I don't think any live-action heroine will join the line-up, but I still think they can get the Frozen/Moana treatment if they will be popular. The line of products in the same style as princesses, but solo and with its own title.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sadé
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 pm
Posts: 79
I wonder which culture it will be based on. The Ashanti maybe?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group