DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 100  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 11308
I hope "Evermore" wins Best Song. I'm conflicted about Best Picture. On one hand, I'd like to see it nominated, but not win because the original is far superior. On the other hand, the idea of it being nominated/winning and all the Cinderella fans seething some more would be very enjoyable.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Aladdin 2019 ~ "Speechless (Full)"
Anne-Marie ~ "Ciao Adios"
Nicki Minaj ~ "Va Va Voom"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:09 pm
Posts: 1149
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I hope "Evermore" wins Best Song. I'm conflicted about Best Picture. On one hand, I'd like to see it nominated, but not win because the original is far superior. On the other hand, the idea of it being nominated/winning and all the Cinderella fans seething some more would be very enjoyable.


LOL, no shade, but it's not going to win Best Picture, or even be nominated. I hope Evermore gets nominated and wins Best Song. The other award I see it being nominated for is Production Design.

Speaking of Cinderella, below are the Academy Awards Disney wanted it to be considered for.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 11308
tsom wrote:
LOL, no shade, but it's not going to win Best Picture, or even be nominated.
I only discussed it because others were doing so. Why don't you reply to them? They might even appreciate the Cinderella worship since that's the only reason they come in the B&tB thread anyway.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Aladdin 2019 ~ "Speechless (Full)"
Anne-Marie ~ "Ciao Adios"
Nicki Minaj ~ "Va Va Voom"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3673
Atlantica wrote:
I had my suspicions about her having a lot of clout with the dress but didn’t know it was fact ! Is that why it looks so much like Hermione’s Yule Ball dress which I believe she ‘helped’ design too ?

Lol, I had no idea that she designed the Yule Ball dress too, but that makes sense because I've heard loads of people complain that Belle's dress looks just like Hermione's dress. It's even more funny because even Hermione's dress gets a lot of hate in the Harry Potter fandom, usually because people didn't appreciate changing the color from blue to pink.

tsom wrote:

Speaking of Cinderella, below are the Academy Awards Disney wanted it to be considered for.

Image


I had no idea that Disney tried to get Cinderella considered for so many awards. I'm not surprised that it wasn't picked up by the Oscars but it would have been nice if the Golden Globes had nominated Cinderella for a few awards. I can't remember how competitive the year was though for films and actors. Surprised though that Richard Madden was considered for "Supporting Actor."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 10302
Location: America
Oh wow, thanks tsom! I was wondering if Disney had done that for Cinderella! And yes, JeanGreyForever, I'm not surprised it didn't get picked up for Oscars other than Best Costume Design. I was hoping the Golden Globes would nominate it for Best Picture Comedy or Musical but that's ok. I actually did hope it would get nominated for the Oscar for Best Picture. I really thought it was that good. Now I'd say Beauty and the Beast has no chance of making that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3673
I wonder if Beauty and the Beast will get Costume Design at least. Everything besides Belle's ballgown was nicely done (although I'm not a fan of her winter outfit either). But the supporting cast is so beautifully dressed that I wouldn't want to begrudge them a win.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2681
It's common place for Disney to have their films be considered in all categories. They always do that with their Marvel films, even though those only ever get nominated for crafts categories.

Evermore could win, but I feel one of The Greatest Showman's songs could be a strong competitor. The La La Land lyricists worked on that and it is a big lavish musical. And if Coco ends up being well received, I could also see the Lopezes winning again.

_________________
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3673
estefan wrote:
It's common place for Disney to have their films be considered in all categories. They always do that with their Marvel films, even though those only ever get nominated for crafts categories.

Evermore could win, but I feel one of The Greatest Showman's songs could be a strong competitor. The La La Land lyricists worked on that and it is a big lavish musical. And if Coco ends up being well received, I could also see the Lopezes winning again.

I forgot that film is coming out this year. That'll be a nice film to watch on Christmas with the family.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 10302
Location: America
Oh, I forgot, I too thought Richard Madden should have been considered for Best Actor and not Best Supporting Actor.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3027
Location: Spain
Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:
I'm always upset when they leave some songs out of the competition. For Coco, they've also submitted only "Remember Me" by the Lopezes and none of the songs from the other composers.

Me too. I hate it when Disney pulls crap like that. Franco/Molina wrote most of the songs in Coco and Disney couldn't even bother submitting a single one of them? They might as well spit in their faces and tell them their songs are so bad they don't deserve to even be considered. It's just so insulting and disrespectful. :headshake:

:up: Exactly.

By the way, I know the following pieces of concept art have already been posted, but I'm not sure if the black-and-white sketches that are also featured on this page have: https://www.artstation.com/karlsimon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 12694
Director Bill Condon wanted Beyonce to be in the movie:
http://www.slashfilm.com/beyonce-in-bea ... -happened/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3673
blackcauldron85 wrote:
Director Bill Condon wanted Beyonce to be in the movie:
http://www.slashfilm.com/beyonce-in-bea ... -happened/

Considering that she refused to audition for a lead role in The Princess and the Frog and wanted it just given to her, I find it amusing that the director thought she would take such a small part as Plumette.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:50 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 5366
Location: UK
After rewatching this on Blu-ray, had a couple of thoughts ....

Why did they scrap ‘Home’ from film ? I know the Broadway songs weren’t featured, but Home was threaded into the score quite prominently. Is it because Emma couldn’t sing it I wonder ?

With HDAMLF Reprise, I don’t understand what Belle is singing about with regards to being ‘in the Paris of her childhood’ when she clearly left when she was a baby ? ‘Easy to remember, harder to move on...’ how could she possibly remember when she was literally in her cradle ?? Maybe I’m looking too far into it haha !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:12 pm
Posts: 838
Atlantica wrote:
After rewatching this on Blu-ray, had a couple of thoughts ....

Why did they scrap ‘Home’ from film ? I know the Broadway songs weren’t featured, but Home was threaded into the score quite prominently. Is it because Emma couldn’t sing it I wonder ?

With HDAMLF Reprise, I don’t understand what Belle is singing about with regards to being ‘in the Paris of her childhood’ when she clearly left when she was a baby ? ‘Easy to remember, harder to move on...’ how could she possibly remember when she was literally in her cradle ?? Maybe I’m looking too far into it haha !


I thought that line was referring to her father that has clearly not moved on since his wife's passing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 10302
Location: America
rodis wrote:
I thought that line was referring to her father that has clearly not moved on since his wife's passing.

Good explanation!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:09 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 10302
Location: America
I was thinking I don't like how Rotten Tomatoes only gives high percentages for the movies that are liked by more people rather than actually being rated that highly by people. So Wikipedia says Beauty and the Beast's Metacritic, which I believe does tell how highly rated a film is, said it was 65 out of 100. Cinderella got 67 out of 100! So there was harldy any difference between the two in ratings after all? I'm trying to figure that out. But it seems no one really thought either film was very good. :( I feel like Beauty and the Beast was not that bad, sometimes magical, just kind of lifeless, while I know people said Cinderella was bland, but I found it emotional, romantic, and magical.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1308
JeanGreyForever wrote:
I do hope though that Evermore wins Best Song since I really loved that and wouldn't mind seeing the Disney animators insert it into the film. I miss the days when they did that.


That'd be MAGICAL. But they obviously won't do that since they audiences aren't into 2D nowadays, blech.

_________________
Awaiting for the Beatles of DVDIzzy: Disneyjedi , disneyphilip, TsWade2, and 2DDisney4Ever

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 3673
Disney Duster wrote:
I was thinking I don't like how Rotten Tomatoes only gives high percentages for the movies that are liked by more people rather than actually being rated that highly by people. So Wikipedia says Beauty and the Beast's Metacritic, which I believe does tell how highly rated a film is, said it was 65 out of 100. Cinderella got 67 out of 100! So there was harldy any difference between the two in ratings after all? I'm trying to figure that out. But it seems no one really thought either film was very good. :( I feel like Beauty and the Beast was not that bad, sometimes magical, just kind of lifeless, while I know people said Cinderella was bland, but I found it emotional, romantic, and magical.

Cinderella had some critics but that was most people who felt it was too faithful or wanted some sort of spin like Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent. But the vast majority of people preferred this film over Alice and Maleficent. There's a reason that this was the first live-action film that really caught on with people, at least critically, even if not commercially, and made people feel better about the Disney live-action films after the several ones before it which had gotten mixed reviews. A pity the box office results couldn't match. I suppose Frozen Fever wasn't as big of a draw.

thedisneyspirit wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
I do hope though that Evermore wins Best Song since I really loved that and wouldn't mind seeing the Disney animators insert it into the film. I miss the days when they did that.


That'd be MAGICAL. But they obviously won't do that since they audiences aren't into 2D nowadays, blech.

It's a shame they only did it for Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Pocahontas, especially since The Lion King out of all three of them really didn't need that. On youtube, someone has animated The Madness of King Scar as if it was a scene taken out of the movie, and that further convinces me that Disney really should have reinserted that scene into the film instead of the Morning Report. I don't think anyone really cared for Morning Report.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 2987
Stephen Colbert likes it apparently.

https://youtu.be/gGyFxEPgrNs?t=110

Pretty sure he doesn't even realize it wasn't originally in the movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 11308
I'm not surprised their critic ratings aren't very different. Cinderella hides behind the fact that it doesn't do anything to differentiate istelf among all the "Cinderella" film adaptations, but naturally it gets criticized for being empty and uninteresting (which it is). B&tB gets lambasted for changes from the original film more than anything. Neither are perfect films by any means, and I'd rather watch the animated adaptations in both cases.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Aladdin 2019 ~ "Speechless (Full)"
Anne-Marie ~ "Ciao Adios"
Nicki Minaj ~ "Va Va Voom"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 100  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group