Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by Redadoodles »

Thank you ! :) :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I had a thought the other day about this film. I'm emphatically not one of those people with piss in their corn flakes over Belle's "inventor knowledge." (I'm more annoyed so many of Disney's live-action films since this have imitated it to the point it's kind of become a joke.) It always made sense to me that she could have picked up a little of that having lived alone with her father, and her father being her only friend. But it occurred to me how interesting it would've been if they had made her self-interest be something like she was writing her own book. She loved to read, it was her escape from the provincial life, which inspired her to write a novel of her own. Maybe she was a bit self-conscious about it since she was a woman and in a town that thought reading / education was stupid. It could be something Beast sort of encourages her in, giving more significance to him giving her the library. And then she would occasionally write in her room in Beast's castle at certain points when she's alone, being inspired by what she was living (the beauty of the castle, the spell, the servants, etc.). And then the end of the film could be sort of her closing her book, having finally finished it and it's maybe her own story or something a great deal like it. Maybe she would call it "Tale As Old as Time." :lol: :P I don't know, I think it would've been cute. I think it would've been a natural fit, sort of like Jasmine wanting to be Sultana in the Aladdin-LA.

The only thing I could think they could do for Ariel is extend her collecting / exploring tendencies, that she wants to go explore the world with Eric post-film. It could be a natural fit in a way since Eric enjoys being on the sea from what the original film implies at the beginning, and they would travel the sea to places she'd want to see in Europe and so on, that kind of thing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's a really good idea! I know at least one other person suggested Belle be a writer instead of an inventor as it made more sense. Not someone here, I forget where. But your idea of her writing the book in the castle and then the whole movie turns out to have been her book is pure genius. I also like your Ariel idea.

Something you just made me realize doesn't make sense is the town in the LA BatB is both anti-intellectual and yet intent on educating males.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I'm probably not the first to come up with that idea for Belle, I imagine.

And maybe at the end she could have offered to let the Beast be the first to read it. I know the remake made a point of how the Beast is well-read already, but the Beast reading Belle's book would sort of be a callback to when Gaston takes Belle's book and tosses it into the mud. Basically accentuating how Gaston's interest in her was merely surface level whereas her relationship with the Beast was always a mental connection (well, it had to be considering he was an animal at the time. :lol: ).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well he doesn't throw her book in the mud in the live-action film. But I also like your idea of her asking the Prince to read her book first. It's good.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I had a thought the other day about this film. I'm emphatically not one of those people with piss in their corn flakes over Belle's "inventor knowledge." (I'm more annoyed so many of Disney's live-action films since this have imitated it to the point it's kind of become a joke.) It always made sense to me that she could have picked up a little of that having lived alone with her father, and her father being her only friend. But it occurred to me how interesting it would've been if they had made her self-interest be something like she was writing her own book. She loved to read, it was her escape from the provincial life, which inspired her to write a novel of her own. Maybe she was a bit self-conscious about it since she was a woman and in a town that thought reading / education was stupid. It could be something Beast sort of encourages her in, giving more significance to him giving her the library. And then she would occasionally write in her room in Beast's castle at certain points when she's alone, being inspired by what she was living (the beauty of the castle, the spell, the servants, etc.). And then the end of the film could be sort of her closing her book, having finally finished it and it's maybe her own story or something a great deal like it. Maybe she would call it "Tale As Old as Time." :lol: :P I don't know, I think it would've been cute. I think it would've been a natural fit, sort of like Jasmine wanting to be Sultana in the Aladdin-LA.

The only thing I could think they could do for Ariel is extend her collecting / exploring tendencies, that she wants to go explore the world with Eric post-film. It could be a natural fit in a way since Eric enjoys being on the sea from what the original film implies at the beginning, and they would travel the sea to places she'd want to see in Europe and so on, that kind of thing.
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing these ideas BTW :-) Very well written and thoughtful; As much as I love the live action beauty and the beast as it is and I’m very much looking forward to the live action little mermaid, These ideas would’ve/very much could have made the movies even better. Please continue to give us more ideas like this :-) have you ever tried pursuing a career in writing/maybe working for Disney yourself? :-)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Josh Gad: ‘I don’t think we did justice to what a gay character in a Disney film should be’
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 24275.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney’s Nine-Figure VFX Headache: ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Profits at Stake in Trial
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235712572/

Disney Loses ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Profits Trial Over Stolen VFX Tech But Payout Is Minimal
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235767970/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage