Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

JeanGreyForever wrote: I loved the dancing scenes as well. The scene where Belle agrees to dance with the Beast in exchange for the chance to go home was beautifully choreographed and I love the choice of music. I think it did justice to the film and story, unlike the 2017 BATB's ballroom scene which was very forgetable especially when compared to the ballroom scene from the 1991 BATB as well as 2015 live-action Cinderella.
Of course I don't agree on either of those points, but I did enjoy the dancing scene. I'd put it behind the animated film for sure because of how gorgeous the animation was combined with Angela Lansbury's stunning performance. With the Cinderella ballroom scene, I felt nothing throughout even though I did love Madden as the prince, which I blame on Lily James being a void.
What I especially liked about Belle in the film is that although she's also less passive like the Disney Belle, she's not an exact copy of her. This Belle is wittier and even flirtatious with the Beast and she likes to tease him and poke fun at him with her jokes.
Yes, I liked this part of the adaptation the most. I always love a romance where the love interests mock and tease one another.

I don't think I believe the reincarnation theory, but it is interesting. I took the Forest God parting the brush for her as him remembering his daughter asking for him to have mercy, and perhaps another woman loving him in spite of his appearance made him see the beast as really deserving of that mercy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: I loved the dancing scenes as well. The scene where Belle agrees to dance with the Beast in exchange for the chance to go home was beautifully choreographed and I love the choice of music. I think it did justice to the film and story, unlike the 2017 BATB's ballroom scene which was very forgetable especially when compared to the ballroom scene from the 1991 BATB as well as 2015 live-action Cinderella.
Of course I don't agree on either of those points, but I did enjoy the dancing scene. I'd put it behind the animated film for sure because of how gorgeous the animation was combined with Angela Lansbury's stunning performance. With the Cinderella ballroom scene, I felt nothing throughout even though I did love Madden as the prince, which I blame on Lily James being a void.
What I especially liked about Belle in the film is that although she's also less passive like the Disney Belle, she's not an exact copy of her. This Belle is wittier and even flirtatious with the Beast and she likes to tease him and poke fun at him with her jokes.
Yes, I liked this part of the adaptation the most. I always love a romance where the love interests mock and tease one another.

I don't think I believe the reincarnation theory, but it is interesting. I took the Forest God parting the brush for her as him remembering his daughter asking for him to have mercy, and perhaps another woman loving him in spite of his appearance made him see the beast as really deserving of that mercy.
I felt nothing throughout the 2017 BATB ballroom scene. Emma Watson didn't feel like she was dancing as much as she was trying to dance and the camera angles didn't please me much either. I think the dress not being very spectacular either, also really downgraded the scene for me.

I suppose the Forest God was just showing mercy, but I think the reincarnation theory is more plausible. Especially since without it, it becomes more questionable why Belle falls more and more in love with the Beast day after day, despite him doing nothing that would invoke love in someone. Her remembering her past life in dreams and how much she loved the prince, however, would.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think they should have just done the Beast's almost death and transformation justice instead of doing a different scene better.

I thought Avenant got other people to help him break into the Beast's castle?

Wikipedia says the Beaumont Beauty and the Beast had the prince refuse to let a fairy in from the rain.

I like the idea of the Forest God showing the Beast mercy and thus letting Belle get to him.

The Beast let Belle roam the castle and gave her beautiful dresses and then let her see her family even though it would have killed him if she didn't return. I think that was why she loved him. But yes, the one thing the 2014 film needed was Belle and the Beast growing to love each other and the Beast being kinder.

Honestly I don't know what movie Divinity saw when Lily James' face was clealry gasping and smiling with delight and their were romantic sparks between her and the prince in the dancing scene.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I think they should have just done the Beast's almost death and transformation justice instead of doing a different scene better.

I thought Avenant got other people to help him break into the Beast's castle?

Wikipedia says the Beaumont Beauty and the Beast had the prince refuse to let a fairy in from the rain.

I like the idea of the Forest God showing the Beast mercy and thus letting Belle get to him.

The Beast let Belle roam the castle and gave her beautiful dresses and then let her see her family even though it would have killed him if she didn't return. I think that was why she loved him. But yes, the one thing the 2014 film needed was Belle and the Beast growing to love each other and the Beast being kinder.

Honestly I don't know what movie Divinity saw when Lily James' face was clealry gasping and smiling with delight and their were romantic sparks between her and the prince in the dancing scene.
Avenant just goes to the castle with Belle's brother who disappears and never appears again.

I don't think the wikipedia article is accurate then and probably just assumed from the Disney film. I just checked Beaumont's BATB again and all the prince says is that he was cursed by a wicked fairy into his Beast form. No mention of any reasoning, especially nothing about not letting a fairy enter his home from the rain. That is purely Disney and this goes to show how most people assume the Disney fairy tales are the original ones because they are most prominent. I also checked the version in The Blue Book of Fairy Tales which contains a version that mixes elements from Beaumont and Villeneuve but there is no explanation given in that I think for the Beast's curse. Certainly not the Disney explanation.

However, the Beast was also sneaking into her room at night, eating animal meat which terrified her so, rude to her at dinner and telling her to shut up, broke his promise of letting Belle go home after a dance with him, and then chases her in a very rapey fashion and nearly causes her to drown. Yet, despite all these incidents, she seems more charmed by him than anything else. Except the very first day she meets him. Her demeanor towards him changes after the first night when she has her first dream about him.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote:However, the Beast was also sneaking into her room at night, eating animal meat which terrified her so, rude to her at dinner and telling her to shut up, broke his promise of letting Belle go home after a dance with him, and then chases her in a very rapey fashion and nearly causes her to drown. Yet, despite all these incidents, she seems more charmed by him than anything else. Except the very first day she meets him. Her demeanor towards him changes after the first night when she has her first dream about him.
I think the only times she was really afraid of him was when she was first coming to the castle, not knowing what to expect (if he would kill her or what), and then again when she finds him eating animals raw.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, Wikipedia lies strike again.

I thought the Beast at first wouldn't let Belle visit her family because she was mean to him in the middle of the dance (I forget why) but then he did let her?

I liked how the cruise show did "Be Our Guest"! And the enchanted objects! And Belle in the mirror! And Gaston's tavern costumes. That's it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Ah, Wikipedia lies strike again.

I thought the Beast at first wouldn't let Belle visit her family because she was mean to him in the middle of the dance (I forget why) but then he did let her?

I liked how the cruise show did "Be Our Guest"! And the enchanted objects! And Belle in the mirror! And Gaston's tavern costumes. That's it.
Lolz, whoever edited that must have made an assumption that Disney got their prologue from one of the original fairy tales.

I don't remember Belle being mean to him during the dance. I think just when it ends, he tells her he is not going to let her go which is why Belle is angry and tries to run away. He lets her go after they sink into the frozen water and return to the castle, where Belle is strangely in a very pleasant and joking mood and the Beast, I guess feeling bad about nearly killing her, is somewhat more amenable to her as well.

I love how in the comments, people are saying the musical is already better than the live-action film, because it doesn't have Emma Watson's acting in it.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I don't remember Belle being mean to him during the dance. I think just when it ends, he tells her he is not going to let her go which is why Belle is angry and tries to run away.
It isn't. She's angry after the argument, but she doesn't run away until she spies on him and catches him eating the animals.
He lets her go after they sink into the frozen water and return to the castle, where Belle is strangely in a very pleasant and joking mood and the Beast, I guess feeling bad about nearly killing her, is somewhat more amenable to her as well.
I don't think it's strange at all. She was clearly attracted to him when they were staring into each other's eyes on the ice (I assume by his personality/words/demeanor and hopefully not, well... :lol: ). She doesn't struggle or turn away when he's slowly leaning in to kiss her, only to be interrupted by her falling through the ice. Similarly, I think the Beast recognized her feelings, and that's why he let her go--hoping that she might come to feel more for him.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wish I could remember why the 2014 dance ended the way it did.

Oh, I like that explanation on the ice, Divinity.
Disney's Divinity

I just sent the film back off Netflix yesterday, but I had watched the dancing scene several times. First he is surprised she isn't frightened when they start dancing and then they look at each other for a long time without speaking. Suddenly she puts her head on his chest, and then he asks her if she could love him. She goes berserk and screams how she could never love him because he disgusts her. The argument was clearly more about her being disturbed by the fact that she was feeling something for him. When they're looking into each other's eyes on the frozen lake, he repeats it back to her, "Tell me again how I disgust you" before slowly leaning in to kiss her.

That's probably the main difference bettwen Belle in this film versus the Disney versions. The dancing/frozen lake scenes are where she realizes she's in love with him, whereas Belle in the Disney films doesn't realize it until the moment he's dying.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, that's a really smart observation. That's probably what was really going on in those scenes.

However, in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Belle does realize she starts feeling something for the Beast. "New...and a bit...alarming...who'd have ever thought that this could be?"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, I thought so, too.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Here's what the Beast would have looked like if he wasn't created from CGI.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOSMwavV4AAhdbO.jpg
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Looking good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am very surprised that Disney has not released this in 3D or 4K yet. I was certain that they would announce a special edition for the holiday season, like they did last year, with The Jungle Book and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh man, now I really wish the Beast had been done that way instead of CGI!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh man, now I really wish the Beast had been done that way instead of CGI!
Agreed. The CGI Beast didn't bother me that much, until I saw this.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

That looks like it could have been pretty awesome ! I’m just worried about how much having a CGI romantic lead will age the film in a few years, and if it won’t stand up.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That isn't the only thing that isn't going to stand up. Certain parts of the story, the acting, the directing.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Its going to age like milk. The CG (for the beast mainly) didn't look believable the day it released.